• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oklahoma court rules it's legal to "forcibly sodomize" someone if they're unconscious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I read the article thinking that there's no way it's as bad as it sounds. Lol yeah it is as bad as it sounds.

So is this the result of a dumb judge who just threw their hands up and said they can't prosecute or the result of a slimy defense attorney who found a loophole in the law and forced the judges' hand?

Because I can see it happening either way. Maybe the defendant was some rich kid with a good lawyer from his parents who got him off on a loophole.

This is ridiculous, the Supreme Court needs to overturn this shit at a Federal level and invalidate this insane law.

The US is going fucking backwards rapidly.

I remember when a similar rape case happened at my college involving a pair of well-known baseball players. The defense's only case was that the girl had passed out from drinking, so therefore it wasn't rape. Of course they were found guilty and are rotting away in a jail cell. Never did I think this would be a valid excuse in any court of law in this country in fucking 2016.

This is ridiculous, the Supreme Court needs to overturn this shit at a Federal level and invalidate this insane law.

The US is going fucking backwards rapidly.

There's no law that actually says you can rape unconscious people. The state has a specific law that states you cannot "sodomize" people who are so intoxicated that they cannot consent (this includes unconscious people). However, the law specifies vaginal/anal intercourse; since this specific rape was oral, it gets off on a technicality. The state should obviously rewrite this law, but I'm willing to believe that this was an oversight rather than an active attempt to screw over rape victims.

I don't get these "US is backwards herp derp" comments. Hundreds of rapists in Germany, for example, get of scott-free because the law requires the victim to be able to show physical injuries such as bruises in court. Even the most backwards US state is relatively liberal when it comes to these laws.

akira28

then they need to start breaking into these oklahoma house legislators and forcibly sodomize them in their sleep? to get them to think about possibly reforming their laws.

then they need to start breaking into these oklahoma house legislators and forcibly sodomize them in their sleep? to get them to think about possibly reforming their laws.

It's nice to know that I post on the same forum as people who believe that rape is an adequate punishment for legislative oversights. Good on you, sir.

dQJexuf.gif
Haven't seen this in a while. Fucking perfect. This is ridiculous.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Why doesn't the US have federal laws on this kind of stuff like any other civilized country?

Guess the US is just full of backwards, uncivilized people.

Or it just has a different political and legal system, but whatever.

There's no law that actually says you can rape unconscious people. The state has a specific law that states you cannot "sodomize" people who are so intoxicated that they cannot consent (this includes unconscious people). However, the law specifies vaginal/anal intercourse; since this specific rape was oral, it gets off on a technicality. The state should obviously rewrite this law, but I'm willing to believe that this was an oversight rather than an active attempt to screw over rape victims.

I don't get these "US is backwards herp derp" comments. Hundreds of rapists in Germany, for example, get of scott-free because the law requires the victim to be able to show physical injuries such as bruises in court. Even the most backwards US state is relatively liberal when it comes to these laws.

Yeah, I think this is pretty fucked that it resulted in something like this happening. However, a lot of times people don't seem to understand that the role of the judicial body isn't to make the law or change it, but to determine whether or not the language of it applies to this specific situation. It's fucked up that this is essentially legal but there's a difference between the court being ruled by archaic laws with big loopholes and the government just being evil. The legal system isn't just one monolithic entity, and rulings like this end up happening in the system when the legislature doesn't properly account for a situation before it goes to court. I just hope that people start pushing for laws that don't allow this kind of shit.

kmax

The logic being if they're unconscious then no force could have been needed to rape them. It's like the most literal interpretation of what constitutes forcible sodomy. Rape case dismissed as a result.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/27/oral-sex-rape-ruling-tulsa-oklahoma-alcohol-consent

Oklahoma court: oral sex is not rape if victim is unconscious from drinking

An Oklahoma court has stunned local prosecutors with a declaration that state law doesn’t criminalize oral sex with a victim who is completely unconscious.

“Forcible sodomy cannot occur where a victim is so intoxicated as to be completely unconscious at the time of the sexual act of oral copulation,” the decision read.

putting-gun-to-head.gif

Is this fucking Twilight Zone, cause in that case wake me the fuck up.

I think this specific point went unnoticed by a lot of people, that there is a law regarding unconsciousness but it manages to only specify two types of assault and therefore can't be leveraged in this situation. Honestly, the fact when it was written they were like "what kinds of ways could someone force themselves on another? vaginal, anal, that's it right?" bums me out.

PillarEN

I can even understand the whole sodomy technicality. So it's not forcible sodomy. In this case it's forced oral sex. Would that still not be rape then regardless of the sodomy factor which is unfortunately poorly written in their laws? The defense was able to exploit one technicality but how is it not a rape case anyhow?

HeySeuss

I can even understand the whole sodomy technicality. So it's not forcible sodomy. In this case it's forced oral sex. Would that still not be rape then regardless of the sodomy factor which is unfortunately poorly written in their laws? The defense was able to exploit one technicality but how is it not a rape case anyhow?

I haven't read the law for the state but I would imagine they define forcible sex as vaginal only. Sounds like they haven't updated the law since it was originally written to include any kind of penetration rather than painting themselves into a corner with old verbage.

It sucks that this victim wasn't given justice because a clever defense attorney successfully argued a technicality when the intent of the law is clear. This will no doubt get pushed through legislation to correct the verbiage.

What's ridiculous is people posting that the state just legalized rape. No they didn't. Someone exploited a loophole based on outdated language. Some sleazy lawyer just made a career for himself over a rape victim because of a technicality.

someday

Banned

What's weird to me is that sodomy is usually defined as non-vaginal sex anyway. So why would they use the term "sodomy" and then define it as vaginal/anal sex and ignore oral?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Guys, the laws are right here:

Forcible Sodomy (v1) http://law.justia.com/codes/oklahoma/2015/title-21/section-21-888v1/

Forcible Sodomy (v2) http://law.justia.com/codes/oklahoma/2015/title-21/section-21-888v2/

Rape: http://law.justia.com/codes/oklahoma/2015/title-21/section-21-1111/

The rape statute includes a provision for unconsciousness separate from the provision regarding mental illness or unsoundness of mind.

2. Where the victim is incapable through mental illness or any other unsoundness of mind, whether temporary or permanent, of giving legal consent;
3. Where force or violence is used or threatened, accompanied by apparent power of execution to the victim or to another person;
5. Where the victim is at the time unconscious of the nature of the act and this fact is known to the accused;

The metal illness/unsoundness of mind provision is in the forcible sodomy statute, but there is no provision for unconsciousness.
B. The crime of forcible sodomy shall include:
2. Sodomy committed upon a person incapable through mental illness or any unsoundness of mind of giving legal consent regardless of the age of the person committing the crime; or

3. Sodomy accomplished with any person by means of force, violence, or threats of force or violence accompanied by apparent power of execution regardless of the age of the victim or the person committing the crime; or

The courts seem to interpet each of these provisions as mutually exclusive, unfortunately.
There is no definition of "unsoundness of mind" in OK criminal law (Title 21) - the only statutory definition of this term is in Title 15 (contract law) http://law.justia.com/codes/oklahoma/2015/title-15/section-15-16/

Persons of unsound mind within the meaning of this chapter are incapacitated persons or partially incapacitated persons, as such terms are defined by Section 1-111 of Title 30 of the Oklahoma Statutes.

And from title 30..

12. "Incapacitated person" means a person eighteen (18) years of age or older:

a.who is impaired by reason of:

(1)mental illness as defined by Section 1-103 of Title 43A of the Oklahoma Statutes,

(2)mental retardation or developmental disability as defined by Section 1-818.2 of Title 63 of the Oklahoma Statutes,

(3)physical illness or disability,

(4)drug or alcohol dependency as defined by Section 3-403 of Title 43A of the Oklahoma Statutes, or

(5)such other similar cause, and

b.whose ability to receive and evaluate information effectively or to make and to communicate responsible decisions is impaired to such an extent that said person:

(1)lacks the capacity to meet essential requirements for his physical health or safety, or

(2)is unable to manage his financial resources.

Whenever in the Oklahoma Statutes the term "incompetent person" appears and refers to a person who has been found by a district court to be an incompetent person because of an impairment or condition described in this paragraph it shall have the same meaning as "incapacitated person" but shall not include a person who is a partially incapacitated person;

So I guess going by the lens these judges are using to interpet the law, it's impossible for a minor to be incapacitated or of unsound mind, it's impossible to use force against someone who is unconscious, "mental ilness or unsoundness of mind" is redundant, and it's okay to fuck someone against their will, as long as you do it in the mouth, not the ass or vagina. There is no force used in the very act of violating someone's bodily autonomy without their consent. :|

This is why literalists like Scalia and (apparently) those on the OK Supreme Court are awful. They're nothing but contrarians who twist legal verbosity into exclusiveness of meaning, intent, and consequence - even though the determination of such things is an ambiguity of language, and thus, should be subject to interpretation (ideally by, you know, judges deemed to be wise enough to think on their own), not defined by some strict and arbitrary linguistic rigidity.

It's not like a panel of 5 people sat down at one point in time and wrote every single aspect of the OK legal code at once. Different people write and vote on different portions of the law at different times. Things aren't going to be uniform (IE: the apparent power of execution being "apparent" in forcible sodomy, vs being "apparent to the victim or another person" (Does this mean a witness? A jury? An expert called to the stand?) in rape.)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ok OK, new update to the law. "You can't put your dick into unconscious people." One and done. It's even vague enough to cover your earholes in case someone else gets a clever idea.

Or, alternatively, judges could apply a bit of common sense. You don't have to specifically cover every orifice.

Azerare

I had to check THREE times to make sure I wasn't reading an onion article. So definitely avoid Oklahoma at all costs now.

Shredderi

What? How? I mean this is not trying to secretly pass down a suspicious law hoping no one sees through the bullshit. This is straight out saying it's not a crime to put your dick in someone's mouth as long as they are completely unable to do anything about it. Unanimous? Someone has them by the balls. I can't think of any other reasoning.

Dr.Acula

Banned
This is why literalists like Scalia and (apparently) those on the OK Supreme Court are awful. They're nothing but contrarians who twist legal verbosity into exclusiveness of meaning, intent, and consequence - even though the determination of such things is an ambiguity of language, and thus, should be subject to interpretation (ideally by, you know, judges deemed to be wise enough to think on their own), not defined by some strict and arbitrary linguistic rigidity.

It's not like a panel of 5 people sat down at one point in time and wrote every single aspect of the OK legal code at once. Different people write and vote on different portions of the law at different times. Things aren't going to be uniform (IE: the apparent power of execution being "apparent" in forcible sodomy, vs being "apparent to the victim or another person" (Does this mean a witness? A jury? An expert called to the stand?) in rape.)

Reminds me of Bill Clinton asking what the definition of "is" is. That when asked if he is involved in an improper relationship that he wasn't because he wasn't inside anyone the moment the question was asked.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Maybe a start would be not basing serious laws on a made up city from a bronze age myth and start using grown up language and scientific and biological definitions.

Vestal

Gold Member
It's a sad event due ton how backwards the law is written(using specific acts). However we can't have judges rewriting laws from the bench.

Hopefully there is a recourse to get this guy to still serve some time by charging him under a different statute.

Why doesn't the US have federal laws on this kind of stuff like any other civilized country?

Can the EU courts overturn the laws of individual member nations when they don't have any international implications? The way the US works is honestly more like the EU than any individual EU member nation, with those being more akin to individual states.

Also, this whole situation is disgusting and absurd

Because "states rights" is still a thing. Its moronic.

I want you to imagine, for a minute, the federal government goes into New York and says they now have the same laws as, say, Texas.

There would be rioting in the streets.

The presumption that there is one optimal set of laws and that everyone should follow them is not one that Americans make. Texans and New Yorkers would hate having all each others' laws, so we don't make them. There are some outliers where there are horrible results like this, but it's ultimately the most efficient way of governing such a large and diverse country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom