• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old computer games you're pretty sure no one but you ever played.

Akuza89

WHIZZ

27303-ingame-Whizz.png

A puzzle platformer on an isometric view.
it got a release on Super Nintendo Entertainment System, PlayStation, Amiga, Microsoft Windows, Sega Saturn, DOS, AmigaOS and MS-DOS.

I'm not sure how "obscure" you would say it is... but I have what I would say is a large knowledge of this game... and my girlfriend is the 1 who showed it me... it's a pretty decent game overall though.

My very first computer game (Commodore Plus/4):

video_meanies_front.jpg

Image2.jpg

It's a good game, you are a little robot and have to get through a dungeon consisting of 24 full-screen rooms.

Never beat it.

BONDO

Codename Eagle.
Probably a Battlefield 1942 clone...not sure what came out first. But this game was ALWAYS dead...just my buddy and I on a single map having a blast. Awesome game at the time.

ROMhack

hqdefault.jpg

Terra Incognito, one of the Net Yaroze games for the PS1. A game with a stunning translation.

Also released on PC.

Last edited:

nowhat

Ooh, a necro thread I haven't encountered yet. Me too!

Does anyone remember Mars Saga? Made by Westwood Studios (who were later bought and subsequently dismantled by EA, no surprise there...), initially released for C64, later ported to Apple II and MS-DOS. It was an sci-fi/cyberpunk RPG set in Mars (duh) - the gameplay consist mostly of a classical pen-and-paper RPG map and a "3D" view of your surroundings, combat is turn-based from a top-down perspective. You can gather up to... four (I think? It's been a long while) companions, with various classes and abilities. If there ever was a remake, I'd buy it immediately - it's been almost three decades since I last played it, and I still remember all of the music. Here's a gameplay video:

Awesome Thread!

I have two of my own
First: "Al-Qadim: The Genies Curse"
3d43e804c8ce33ec6ce6c0010445dd53805bbfc8dd91291c601a1ef5f3dab7ad_product_card_v2_thumbnail_271.jpg

My very first own PC game, bought with my very first own PC on a flea market in the mid 90's.
My English at 12 years old were not that refined (german guy) and therefore the game was hard, very hard. Lo and behold, i got it on GOG.com and wasn't brave enough since then, to try it again.

Second:
An Amiga game (i guess), I sometimes played at a friend of mine. You play as two yellow ninjas with a horizontally split screen and have machineguns and rocketlaunchers (i think?). The first level starts with you getting off of a rubber boat... does that ring a bell for anyone?

Mojoraisin

Revenge_of_the_Mutant_Camels_Coverart.png

Old classic. Fun game and great name. Was a bargain title but one of my more played games on C64.

Edit- Realized I'm not sure if I played "attack of the mutant camels" or "return of the mutant camels" but not sure it matters much. Didn't even know there were two. :)

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
Awesome Thread!

I have two of my own
First: "Al-Qadim: The Genies Curse"
3d43e804c8ce33ec6ce6c0010445dd53805bbfc8dd91291c601a1ef5f3dab7ad_product_card_v2_thumbnail_271.jpg

My very first own PC game, bought with my very first own PC on a flea market in the mid 90's.
My English at 12 years old were not that refined (german guy) and therefore the game was hard, very hard. Lo and behold, i got it on GOG.com and wasn't brave enough since then, to try it again.

Second:
An Amiga game (i guess), I sometimes played at a friend of mine. You play as two yellow ninjas with a horizontally split screen and have machineguns and rocketlaunchers (i think?). The first level starts with you getting off of a rubber boat... does that ring a bell for anyone?

Is "Alcatraz" your second game?

nowhat

Realized I'm not sure if I played "attack of the mutant camels" or "return of the mutant camels" but not sure it matters much. Didn't even know there were two. :)
They were both made by the mad genius Jeff Minter, and they were truly bizarre games. From that era were also his games like "Revenge of the Mutant Camels", "Mama Llama", "Sheep in Space" and "Metagalactic Llamas Battle at the Edge of Time" - no recollection of any of those (you can probably find a C64 disk image online for an emulator if you want to try them out), but I think those titles are just so great they warranted a mention.

He is still active (and still absolutely bonkers) - you can get Polybius for PS4 (includes optional PSVR support), and if you have an Android phone, check out his mobile games. Download the "goodies.zip", it contains four APKs - no guarantee they would work with your phone and the usual caveats about installing APKs from untrusted sources apply. But if you can install them, you probably know what you're doing. "Goat Up" is a personal favourite of mine. They're free as such, but if you enjoy them, consider tipping the author via Paypal.

Edit: yeah forgot, on the same page in the link above are also Gridrunner for Android and Gridrunner++ for PC too.

Last edited:

Makariel

Flight Path 737 - an early flight simulator, perhaps one of the first, I remember it as incredibly frustrating and impossible to even take off. I didn't have an analoge joystick at the time, gave up at some point and only ever managed to take of a handful of times.
Oh Mummy - was a pacman clone if I remember correct, just with mummies instead of ghosts and an indiana jones rip-off as main character.
but neither of them I played as much as
Harrier Attack - which was a simple sidescrolling arcade game, I guess inspired by the Falklands war I guess? It was loading pretty fast (from tape) at the time and I remember if you bombed your own aircraft carrier at the beginning, you had no place to land once the mission is done :D

JimboJones

hqdefault.jpg

Terra Incognito, one of the Net Yaroze games for the PS1. A game with a stunning translation.

Also released on PC.
I used to play that! I always got stuck and never understood how to progress past a certain point. Wasn't aware it was also on PC.

Anyone ever play Ninja Commando on C64?

0.jpg

I played the Atari version, but can't remember much about it at all, I had an ST by then and the 8 bit scene was dying off-

Revenge_of_the_Mutant_Camels_Coverart.png

Old classic. Fun game and great name. Was a bargain title but one of my more played games on C64.

Edit- Realized I'm not sure if I played "attack of the mutant camels" or "return of the mutant camels" but not sure it matters much. Didn't even know there were two. :)

Played 'Attack' on the Atari too. Very good graphics for the time, and much better than the C64 version, but it was so fast it was almost unplayable-

Terce

stardust_1_m.jpg

Great game on Mac OS, this was a platformer where you could create or remove certain blocks and could only move left and right. No jumping and you couldn't create a block on top of another created block.

I remember a game about a black cat getting inside several windows, in one room there was a big cheese, dunno what was it's name

edit: this one
Alleycat.png

lol alley cat already mentioned

other was two apes throwing bananas at each others from the distance

Bill Williams also did the Necromancer (Atari 8 bit and C64), another game with multiple levels and great non-genre gameplay. I played this to death in the early '80s, astonishing graphics for the time and wonderful title music. I still haven't properly beat it, even abusing save states and emulator speeds, the last level is completely mental.

The game that really got me into gaming was Drelbs- after the first time I played it, I dreamed of making the boxes for a few nights in a row. The odd blast on an emulator is still great fun-

drh1691

Neo Member
Ok, there are a few memories here.

I apologize in advance for no pictures but anyway.

Ti 99/4

I played Parsec also. Does anyone remember Bigfoot on the 99/4. You climbed up platforms on a mountain with Bigfoot tossing down huge snowballs at you. I remember the crappy voice synthesizer going “I’m Bigfoot, you’ll never get me!” at the beginning of each level. There was also some top down dungeon crawler I played a lot also. I’m thinking it may have been called tunnels of doom. Does anyone remember that?

Amiga

I played xenomorph also. There was also some sci-fi first person game called infestation. I think you started out on a moonbase or something like that. Graphics reminded me a little of warhead. How about Captive? That was a sci-fi type dungeon master. Also I remember some first person game where you had to infiltrate and shut down a robot factory. It was vector graphics on a black background, I think it was called Cybercon III.

Does anyone remember playing Sentinel or Archipelagos on Amiga?

hecatomb

Banned
I had a Mac for many year and I doubt most people even heard of these games, though I guess damage inc was on pc

Last edited:

Smile&Dial

Neo Member
I believe the game was called Battle Beast. A 2d fighter with animals and such.... No one I grew up with ever played it but me and my brother remember it like it was yesterday. I still have yet to meet someone who actually played it. lol

hecatomb

Banned
I believe the game was called Battle Beast. A 2d fighter with animals and such.... No one I grew up with ever played it but me and my brother remember it like it was yesterday. I still have yet to meet someone who actually played it. lol
didn't know they had a game, all I remember is the toys when I was a kid
3054559495_67bd85c38f.jpg

Mojoraisin

They were both made by the mad genius Jeff Minter, and they were truly bizarre games. From that era were also his games like "Revenge of the Mutant Camels", "Mama Llama", "Sheep in Space" and "Metagalactic Llamas Battle at the Edge of Time" - no recollection of any of those (you can probably find a C64 disk image online for an emulator if you want to try them out), but I think those titles are just so great they warranted a mention.

He is still active (and still absolutely bonkers) - you can get Polybius for PS4 (includes optional PSVR support), and if you have an Android phone, check out his mobile games. Download the "goodies.zip", it contains four APKs - no guarantee they would work with your phone and the usual caveats about installing APKs from untrusted sources apply. But if you can install them, you probably know what you're doing. "Goat Up" is a personal favourite of mine. They're free as such, but if you enjoy them, consider tipping the author via Paypal.

Edit: yeah forgot, on the same page in the link above are also Gridrunner for Android and Gridrunner++ for PC too.
Wow! That's awesome info. Big thanks for that. Will have to check it out!

Hudo

Magic & Mayhem (was pretty dope, actually. There was also a sequel but that was garbage).

Wizardry 4 (Played it last year, never completed it. I am actually more in love with the premise of the game than the game itself, haha)

Nikodemos

I had a Mac for many year and I doubt most people even heard of these games, though I guess damage inc was on pc

I remember the original version of Lighthouse had a bug which made the game impossible to finish if a certain route was taken early in the game.

Magic & Mayhem (was pretty dope, actually. There was also a sequel but that was garbage).

The first Magic & Mayhem was the last game developed by Mythos Games, Julian Gollop's company. The sequel (Art of Magic) was made by an unrelated company (who closed down while the game was being coded, hence the general unfinished feel).

Last edited:
Top Bottom