• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old computer games you're pretty sure no one but you ever played.

awU4lzd.gif

I've never seen this mentioned anywhere. Surely someone else has played it, right?

Ooh, Whacky Wheels! Played that at a friend al lot back in the day.

Took me forever to remember the name of this game. Played it during elementary in the mid 90's. Got stuck at one part and never finished it. That puzzle still haunts me.

It's not exactly ancient, but I always wondered if anyone else bought and played this game:

Tachyon_The_Fringe_cover.jpg

I bought it at a time when space sims were abundant and I was having a blast playing them (Same era as gems like Freespace 2, Starlancer, Independence War 2, etc.)

Toparaman

Banned
Played it on a school mac one day.

This was my GOAT as a kid:

Operation Neptune

NeptuneSub.gif

Close - "Logical Journey of the Zoombinis." I can never forget that game - came here to post it. I have no idea how widespread it was, but it was amazing (and super educational).

Zoombinis_Cover.jpg

Great games.

As for me:
211815-disney-s-hades-challenge-windows-screenshot-the-minotaur-is.jpg

This game was so good, and there's not even a YouTube video of it. It's a point-and-click adventure with arcade/puzzle games integrated in. You get to visit various locales of ancient Greece, and explore Greek mythology. Get it if you like God of War or Disney's Hercules.

Roland1979

There was game that I played so much of when I was very young on my computer.
I think it was just called cat... or at least I used to type cat.exe to open it.
Bunch of mini-games like catching mice but the levels were seperated by outside windows with washing lines connecting them that your cat would run across.
The difficult settings were : TOM, ALLEY, GINGER and PERSIAN.
Cannot find it anywhere because if you google cat games... well it must be lost.

Alley Cat? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyAngaNVx5Q * I see that it has already been answered.
Not obscure -and a Amiga(?) port even- but very cool: Xenon 2: Megablast.

Nikodemos

It's not exactly ancient, but I always wondered if anyone else bought and played this game:

I bought it at a time when space sims were abundant and I was having a blast playing them (Same era as gems like Freespace 2, Starlancer, Independence War 2, etc.)
Main character was voiced by none other than Bruce Campbell.

i havent been going through all the pages (first7), so sorry if that has already been mentioned.

Z

Z_The_Bitmap_Brothers.PNG

Linux.Debian.ZED.0.1.jpg

As far as i remember it was a very hard and unforgiving game. I think i never got past level 7 or 8.

Z always caused havoc on my PC. I couldn't run it for long without crashes.

I never knew anyone else who played this. MegaRace

23514-megarace-dos-screenshot-the-big-ones.jpg

And this guy was kinda weird to witness as a kid in the cutscenes.
23101-megarace-dos-screenshot-lance-boyles.gif

That is one from the memory banks, well sort of, as I can't remember much about it.

I can never find any information on it, I don't remember the name and I have never met anyone who has played it. It was a kids learning game where you played as one of three robots, the main guy robot, a girl robot and a little robot that had one wheel like that motorcycle from that Beast Wars sequel series. I only remember that the little wheeled guy's gameplay section involved him constantly moving while you jump over things.

The robots were teal and blue with somewhat human faces and they had to learn stuff to be the bad robot or robots.

For the life of me I can never find information on this game.

Mr Git

must have missed your post, I played the C64 one, which looked exactly like that gif. Bloody difficult indeed expecially when you had arrows, fireballs, guards, bats and some other crap all thrown at ya at the same time...them levels were nightmare fuel

Aha that would explain it! I only posted a teeny jpg, I played it on the Dragon 32 - it looked like arse in comparison. It was definitely difficult, I'm not sure I ever finished it.

jbartee

oh my fucking god. You are now my best friend forever.

I was obsessed with this game in high school, maintained a geocities fan page for it and everything. I still regard it as sort of a lost treasure, a real oddity that summarizes a lot of the "myst clone-ish CD-ROM software art" trends of the mid '90s.

I actually recently did a sort of "restoration" of it combing the windows engine with retouched versions of the higher quality mac assets and wrapped it all in a dosbox install of windows 3.1 so it's super portable now. Just because that's how much I love this stupid game.

georly

Great games.

As for me:

211815-disney-s-hades-challenge-windows-screenshot-the-minotaur-is.jpg

This game was so good, and there's not even a YouTube video of it. It's a point-and-click adventure with arcade/puzzle games integrated in. You get to visit various locales of ancient Greece, and explore Greek mythology. Get it if you like God of War or Disney's Hercules.

I WANT IT!

Sorcerer

oh my fucking god. You are now my best friend forever.

I was obsessed with this game in high school, maintained a geocities fan page for it and everything. I still regard it as sort of a lost treasure, a real oddity that summarizes a lot of the "myst clone-ish CD-ROM software art" trends of the mid '90s.

I actually recently did a sort of "restoration" of it combing the windows engine with retouched versions of the higher quality mac assets and wrapped it all in a dosbox install of windows 3.1 so it's super portable now. Just because that's how much I love this stupid game.

WOW!!! Not only did someone else actually play this but I have a new BFF!!! Cool!!!

I remember back in the day when I had no money, I would troll the dump bins at EB Games, Kaybee toys, sorting through hoping to pick up something decent for 3 bucks. 99% of the time that something decent never happened.

I pick this game up, install it and play it and I seriously did not understand anything going on. Just wandering around finding symbols and then heading underground I believe.

I found it kind of amusing, not in a game way, but I figured this was really just interactive art, pretending to be a game. Very beautiful to look at at the time.

Wish I knew about your page, The game was so obscure I could not even find its existence on the internet at the time.

AndyB1974

Sapiens. Prehistoric survival sim, I think the plot was basically just hunt to survive. I remember there being a mini game where you could find a piece of flint and chip away at it to create your own spearheads.

sapiens2ps6e.jpg

Passengers on the Wind. Very pretty (for the time) game based on the 80's French comic book.

13fsspx.jpg

Murder on the Atlantic. Infogrames adventure game. What I remember most about this is all the stuff that came in the box: passengers business cards, sealed letters written in French and German, bullet casing.

29ubsg7.jpg

Gambit61

Yup. Cute game ;)

I remember playing the shareware version, along with another Mario Kart clone, called Skunny Kart.

Best game ever. Loved the taunts in splitscreen that would obscure your friend's screen.

WackyWheels(5).jpg

Ooh, Whacky Wheels! Played that at a friend al lot back in the day.

Awesome. Super Mario Kart And Wacky Wheels were my favorite racing games when I was a kid. I completely forgot about the splitscreen taunt, MK should add something like that lol.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

To this day, my friend still won't shut up about that game.

hellocld

Saw Scarab of Ra mentioned but I didn't spot any screencaps:
Played the hell out of that game (along with Glider and Vette) on my family's old Mac LCIII.

Also, Lost Eden
Dunno how rare/unknown this one was, but I definitely didn't know anyone who'd heard of it at the time.

Battle Beast, fighting game for PC. It had some shitty ass mechanics...

BattleBeast.jpg

21723-BattleBeast.jpg

HELL YES! I got that game for my birthday. My brother and I would play it constantly and somehow he got into a secret room (labratory?) where he got some extra powerups or something. I honestly think I have the manual around here somewhere.

Het_Nkik

HELL CAB
Not sure how obscure this game was but no one i know or have spoken too has ever heard of it. I was pretty young when it came out and couldnt figure it out. though i was playing sim ant and police quest at the same time and had no problem with them so maybe the game was just a bit of a mess.
m-9GI6aUDsOkoJysmOia12g.jpg

hellcab_screenshot2.jpg

547368.png

Damn, this was going to be my answer. I was also young and couldn't get very far. I mostly just remember starting at the airport and hearing the "The white zone is for the loading and unloading of vehicles only" message playing over and over. And then... travelling back in time somewhere and getting killed right away.

Attack of the killer asterisks.

It was one of those listings that you typed out in the 8bit magazines and amazingly it worked and the game was pretty good.

There was a scrolling starfield of enemy asterisks, the player controlled a diagonal line that constantly pulls down and you had to press shift to make it go up and weave through the field.

Top Bottom