• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old computer games you're pretty sure no one but you ever played.

Vette! an open world 3d racing game set in San Francisco... from 1989
jGKGavn.gif

Yeah...I remember spending many hours one summer vacation playing that as a kid on my Mac Plus, with R.E.M.'s Document as a constant soundtrack.

On a similar note, and not obscure at all, but around the same time I was also playing the hell out of Test Drive II with the European Challenge expansion pack.
360313-td2ec_ami_15.png

6518_0.png

Every single Hoyle card/board game collection.

Some Microsoft puzzle compedium/box thing? I dunno, it was a while ago, but I friggin loved that thing.

Elrina

Neo Member
sBCsqxw.png
ihE8kZj.png
lC0eM4a.png

Champions of Krynn
Death Knights of Krynn
Dark Queen of Krynn

I remember my cousin getting me to read the Dragonlance Chronicles when I was like 10, and then playing these games on the computer afterward. I haven't tried playing them in probably 15 years, but they were fun as hell when I was a kid. I don't think I've ever met anybody else who has played any of them.

Kilvin

Oh man did I ever play this. But to make matters worse, I bought it as a birthday gift for a friend of mine. He opened it and looked at me like "why the hell did you buy me this?"

Nevertheless, we installed it on his computer, played it for an hour and then never ever touched it again.

My then girlfriend (now wife) bought me this for Christmas because she knew I was constantly driving an hour out of the way to play the arcade version of Initial D.

It was a thoughtful gift and she really did try, but man oh man was that game a steaming pile of crap.

sBCsqxw.png
ihE8kZj.png
lC0eM4a.png

Champions of Krynn
Death Knights of Krynn
Dark Queen of Krynn

I remember my cousin getting me to read the Dragonlance Chronicles when I was like 10, and then playing these games on the computer afterward. I haven't tried playing them in probably 15 years, but they were fun as hell when I was a kid. I don't think I've ever met anybody else who has played any of them.

Never played Kyrnn, but I played Treasures of the Savage Frontier and the Dark Sun games.

old

I've never heard anybody talk about these so I will say:

1. Capture the Flag (dos) - super fun. Wish there was a modern mobile remake.

2. Don't know the name. It was a maze game that I played on Prodigy back in the early 90's. It was a first-person maze explorer where you had to answer questions, pick up items, unlock doors...etc.

bndadm

Old MS DOS game called Backroad Racers. Kind of rednecky but my friend had it and neither of us could ever get to the actual race at the end of each environment and finish.

If you broke the speed limit I think there would be cops that would chase you (or rival racers).

Found it a yeat or so ago but from a European dealer. Talking Windows 3.1 days here.

This thresd is a goldmine.

BarrettW

Neo Member
Z0038882.jpg

Loved this game, very atmospheric. Played it the other day and it absolutely holds up, it's kind of like Myst without the puzzles. The acting is really cheesy but the level of exploration kind of reminded me of Dear Esther and Gone Home.

Pockafella

Neo Member
Close - "Logical Journey of the Zoombinis." I can never forget that game - came here to post it. I have no idea how widespread it was, but it was amazing (and super educational).

Zoombinis_Cover.jpg

If I had to pick another one, it'd be:

The_Incredible_Toon_Machine_cover.gif

Also no idea how obscure this was. Anyone else play these?

Yes- the Incredible Toon Machine!!

Farmboy

Never played Kyrnn, but I played Treasures of the Savage Frontier and the Dark Sun games.

I remember these, especially Pool of Radiance, the Krynn games and the amazing Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures -- which was a construction kit with which you could build your own campaign. Amazing stuff. Collectively, they're known as the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_BoxSSI Gold Box Games.

As for my own, here's a few from the MSX:

Zakil Wood, a pretty terrible text adventure (with some images):
7e7f1259_m.png

Happy Fret, a platformer with a protagonist that was clearly ripped off from Mario, although the gameplay was more platform-adventure (collecting items and using them elsewhere) with a metroidvania-esque structure. Would have been a neat little game if the jump mechanics had been better.

Feud, a great concept: two feuding wizards roaming about a pretty large top-down viewed area, collecting herbs to take back to their cauldron to mix spells, which can be used to kill your (computer controlled) opponent. Always scary to see him suddenly enter your screen when you have no spells ready! Really is begging for a remake that actually allows multiplayer.
Feud_-_1987_-_Mastertronic.jpg

bjork

Disney-s-Toontown-Goes-To-Retail-This-Fall-2.jpg

I was like in 6th grade. I remember sneaking my cousin's credit card to pay for it. i guess i did'nt expect her to check her statement.

I really enjoyed Toontown. I remember some lady at the E3 booth showing it to me and I hadn't played much in the way of online games prior to this, so it was a good gateway title. Also had the best customer service ever, when I cancelled due to being on strike at work and not having the money to keep my account going, the guy dug up my records and credited money back to my account since I hadn't logged in for a little while. I wish they'd do this game on 3DS or something, I'd totally get back into it.

Anyway, my game for this thread is an old C64 game called Death in the Caribbean, a graphic adventure from a company called Micro Fun. It was one of those games with the two-word parser and a static image, so you would "GET ROCK" and the game would tell you that you couldn't get it without the wagon. So once you GET WAGON, you could go GET ROCK and then COVER ANTHILL with the rock, so the ants didn't eat you. And so on. I just remember being blown away because I was 7 and had only really played 2600 and Intellivision or whatever, so seeing graphics that good and having a game on two double-sided floppies felt like I had the biggest adventure ever. It also came with a map and a hint card.

co4IYL1.gif

I'd love to own a copy of the C64 one again, but I've never even met another person who has played it, let alone having a complete copy to sell.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
great game, played with my friends loads back like 5/6 years ago.

30204-baldies-jaguar-screenshot-manage-resources-inside-the-houses.jpg
Had a demo (some 100 game on CD thing) of this that I dont think I've heard anyone else talk about.
Baldies? Ha ha, yes, that was released on the Jaguar as well. Weird game.

Kaworu

I remember Machines fondly

409492-machines.jpg

I also want to mention the horrible Formula Karts Special Edition ( I played the Saturn version but it's a PC/PSX/SS game )

Formula%20Karts%20(E).png

Blizzard

Banned
Glider
glider.png

Good times
I've played, or at least watched my brother play, Glider and some other miscellaneous black-and-white Mac games (Dark Castle, Beyond Dark Castle, etc.)

There was also some weird Egyptian game that was very difficult, and some lawn mower game. We never managed to bet several of the games, like Glider, because of difficult spots. In Glider
there was a cat you have to dodge
and we may not have ever figured out the trick.

Blizzard

Banned
Would it happen to be Scarab of Ra, which was a first person maze kind of game? Ran into snakes and mummies and such?
No, it was a side-view game. You had one room at a time I think, and had to defeat or survive some sort of flying enemies. I just vaguely remember sphinx-style enemies and Egyptian heiroglyphics. It was grayscale because my brother only had a grayscale Mac, so I have no idea if there was a color version. In theory it should be on this list, though I don't know if I would even recognize the name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Macintosh_games

*edit* A screenshot of Scarab of Ra -does- look rather familiar though. Maybe I saw that too. It reminds me of some (Hypercard-based?) adventure game set in a school that was on there.

Speaking of color versions, here is what Space Station Pheta looked like with color:
srn4363ks9.gif

low-G

A lot of titles here that I've never even seen. But 2 people mentioned MegaRace, which I also played & enjoyed.

There's one game I'd played and I'm sure no one else has.

There was a tech demo for a jet fighter game, sometime around 1994-95. The jets were very nicely gouraud shaded polygons. The gameplay was super arcadey. It had some really generic name and I'm pretty sure it was never a full released game. Definitely PC only (never played a console title quite like it).

Another one is a fairly neat little FPS with cool polygonal rain effects released around 95 or 96. The shareware was very dark, there was breaking glass, and the rain, of course. Outdoors, sort of a toll booth looking area. It was pretty advanced, the shareware was out before Quake's release.

I think I mentioned the title before on another forum and people eventually found it but it was finally released in 1998... dunno.

Rich!

On the BBC Micro there was this game...a medieval type of setting, real basic graphics.

You had to go from one side of the map (the left), avoid monsters, and eventually get past a dragon on the right (over a river I think) and save the princess. It was a top-down setting.

no fucking idea what it was, and I may have been one of the very few people to ever play it.

help me find it please

2MF

There are a lot of games I'm not able to find / remember the titles of, but let's start with these three:

Nesquik DOS game, not kidding (video here):

HcvzchSLdLqGYMftd6C46JGtu.TPpmr5Vdw2BsMykZh

Arcade_Volleyball_%28gameplay%29.gif

hqdefault.jpg

Gods, an old platformer I haven't heard many people mentioning:

game_012.png

Metal mutant this game was rad as hell and fucking hard too i remember.

metal_mutant.png

formas.jpg

modulo-de-guardado.jpg

I remember this one too :)

Hermagerd! I played the living offal out of this game with friends. It was actually pretty great!

This thread delivers, maaaaannnn... I want to waste the weekend trawling through abandonware sites and relive some old memories.

I recently had a quick look at Gods again, actually. I probably want to do a Bitmap Bros. retrospective geek out session soon. They were the bee's bollocks!!

Nikodemos

Okay, I'm pretty certain nobody else but me played this one:

Stratosphere: Conquest of the Skies

A weird strategy/shooter/sim/wtf where you pilot a flying island fortress and fight other such fortresses. It was insanely hard.

29247-stratosphere-conquest-of-the-skies-windows-screenshot-left.jpg

29246-stratosphere-conquest-of-the-skies-windows-screenshot-the-focus.jpg

29257-stratosphere-conquest-of-the-skies-windows-screenshot-against.jpg

Nyoro SF

I've never heard anybody talk about these so I will say:

1. Capture the Flag (dos) - super fun. Wish there was a modern mobile remake.

Oh my god you just brought back a ton of memories with this. I remember the accumulated group rages over this game lol

250px-54207-00301.jpg

A classic favorite of mine for the old Macs. I don't think a lot of people know about this game, but it's very addicting and simple to pick up.

The two Neophyte games created by (I think) Alien Software. Two shareware episodes were released: Neophyte and Neophyte: Koplio's Story. (Actually, come to think of it, there may have been a third starring a female protagonist, but I can't remember what it was called.) They were top-down, console-like ARPGs with an anime style, but I think they were created by American (?) teenagers. The full games never came out, to my great disappointment.

Years later, I contacted a guy who owned a lot of the leftover merchandise. II bought one of the last remaining print t-shirts, and he threw in disc versions of the first two demos.

Another good one: the Japanese-made Legend of Treasure series. They were also top-down ARPGs but with more emphasis on action. The first game had multiple characters with different stats and weapons, and you could find different weapons and loot and stuff. I can't remember if the levels were randomly generated. I remember the sprites were all saved as bmps, so you could edit them and add your own enemies to the game.

The second game I only played as a demo, but it was much improved and expanded, and I really enjoyed it. Sadly, the developer's website is gone, and I can't find the second game's demo anymore. I don't know if the full game was ever finished/released.

Then there's Gobliiins, or Goblins 3.
cover.jpg

I still have the 5 floppy discs somewhere, but I never managed to finish the game. I think it was badly translated, I might get it from gog.com and give it a try.
Also, it creeped me out as a kid, some things were twisted.
EDIT: I just noticed the yellow sticker, it is the same I have on my box since it had an Italian translation. Ha.

The translation might not have helped, but the game was an unfair pixel hunt, far worse than the first two games (of which I only played shareware versions). This was, I think, the only PC game that ever pushed me to call a hint line. I can't believe me mom let me do that... what a fucking ripoff those things were.

But I loved the game and the series. So much great, absurd humor, and the pixel art was excellent.

You kids today with your GameFAQs... you don't know how good you've got it!

Loopz (wpedia)
loopz.jpg

Loved this game (DOS, EGA). Not come across many people who have played this.
Kept hoping someone would do an iOS/Android version of this somehow (though rotation and placement confirmation might make it difficult on a touch screen). So far noone has yet.

73642-flood-amiga-screenshot-level-37s.png

Flood was the game I got with my Amiga. It was awesome then.

Thumb_Rodland_-_1991_-_Storm_Computers.jpg

Rodland (Amiga)

I'm pretty sure those games weren't the most well known.

Loopz (wpedia)
loopz.jpg

Loved this game (DOS, EGA). Not come across many people who have played this.
Kept hoping someone would do an iOS/Android version of this somehow (though rotation and placement confirmation might make it difficult on a touch screen). So far noone has yet.

I played this game a lot, it's probably not very obscure. IIRC it won some awards.

Top Bottom