• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old computer games you're pretty sure no one but you ever played.

H2Yo

William Shatner's Tekwar.

tekwar02.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace
At launch on the PSOne, we imported one at the office along with any games we could get our hands on.
That included an odd Japanese game that was kind of like a visual novel, and I distinctly remember a candle as a character, who then proceeded to squirt blobs of was suggestively all over some big bombed nurse character.

in grade 6 i was the champion of 'super bunny' and it got to a point that nobody else bothered trying to beat me. would have been like 1989-1990 or so?

never heard of that game since it was probably really shit

There was this really cool pac man clone I loved on this compilation disk I had bought...I wish I could remember the exact disk.

It also had a cool game where you move rocks with a bulldozer

Yooo I remember that bull dozer game. Wasn't it just called "bulldozer"? Haha
Played it on a school mac one day.

This was my GOAT as a kid:

Operation Neptune

NeptuneSub.gif

Hell yeah, I played the shit out of this. The memories... Got some games I wanna post but I'm on my phone right now.

holy shit, dude. HOLY SHIT.

I had completely forgotten about the existence of this game, and now you post an image and some vague memories come back to me. And then I do a google image search and it's like a wave of nostalgia.

Damn.

I often show Castle of the Winds as an example of computer gaming in its purest form. It really is engaging, even though it's so incredibly simple in design. Even for its time.

Eirulan

Wikinger I and II on Amiga.
It was a german shareware game. You control a nation of vikings (norway, sweden, denmark, etc. and try to defeat the others. I played this A LOT with a friend back in the days.
It's "german only" btw. ;)

wikinger2_2.jpg

spekkeh

Banned
The problem with old games is that I just tend to remember the classics and not the 250 shovelware on one cartridge type. In any case this game is not really obscure, in fact it's a classic in being more or less the first serious game to be released as an entertainment game. I'm just curious if GAF played it.

Tooth Invaders (C64) (1982)

ToothInvaders_Brushing.Gif

deim0s

VbtgJXz.jpg

Electronic Formula 1, from Tomy, circa 1978.

Although apparently I'm not the only one who's ever played it, since I've found evidence of it's existence on the Internet.

Actual gameplay footage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIHJ3CeC7sg

I got mine as a hand me down from my bro and played the shit out of it on long trips. Then dad bought me the Western Bar and a couple of Game & Watches to replace it.

Conflict_-_Middle_East_Political_Simulator_Coverart.png

This one my older bro played on his PC.

jimi_dini

mother-goose-game.jpg

EDIT: Lol, they remade this game? Nice! Will buy :D

They remade the game 4 times

Mother Goose - AGI
Mother Goose - SCI0
Mother Goose - SCI1 (CD, full talkie)
Mother Goose - SCI1.1
Mother Goose Deluxe - SCI2.1 (full talkie and hi-res graphics)

I own all of them except the SCI0 version :( It's a pain to find.

Pikma

Banned
514I-z7x94L._SY300_.jpg

Only other person I know who has played the same kind of adventure games is SalsaSharky if I recall correctly.

Gangxxter

Pretty sure I'm the only person who played (and enjoyed) this.

51KJD4JZ86L.jpg

I also played this, but the German version named "Autobahn-Raser". Heck, I actually played many titles in the "Raser" series: Autobahn-Raser 1-3, Urlaubs-Raser, Europa-Raser and USA-Raser. And I enjoyed them all.

Musolf815

kHWehCp.jpg

I honestly don't remember much about this game, other than that it combined your typical Sim-ish construction and management stuff with isomorphic point-and-click adventure game mechanics. Weird game, but fun for a kid really into trains.

I wonder if I still have this one, I got pretty far into it before I stopped playing.

grimmiq

Castle of the Winds:

gfs_46125_2_11.jpg

I think I got it from a CD that came with a magazine way back in the mid-90's. Was a lot of fun, despite its simplicity. The character graphic used an icon file, so I used Locke from FF3/6 for mine. lol

Wow..I could not for the life of me remember the name of this game, was one of the few games installed on my very first computer that my grandfather gave me after he upgraded..

Used to place this all the time too

Battle Zone

arcade-atari-battlezone.jpg

KiraXD

Played it on a school mac one day.

This was my GOAT as a kid:

Operation Neptune

NeptuneSub.gif

omg operation neptune... that was the math game right? oh man...

I also effing loved this game right here... Worms before Worms existed!
I think it was called Gorillas or QBasic Gorillas...
explosion.png

Which led to my love of Scorched Earth!

09_MSDOS_thumb555.jpg

Wowbagger

75CzALm.jpg

Xenomorph

This first person dungeon crawler had the best manual ever! Man, the hours I spent geeking out over that thing. So many good memories. The game itself was really good too, though I don't remember it as fondly as its fantasy brethren. Maybe that's cause I could never finish the damn thing. It had some really cool mechanics and atmosphere, but was apparently held back a bit by lack of dev time and being forced to make do with the Amiga's default 512K memory.

One of its devs is apparently considering a Kickstarter to (in his words) "recreate it in the same way that ‘Legend of Grimrock’ revised Dungeon Master." Man, I'd die for that. Maybe a new, kick-ass manual could be a backer reward. ^^

Kientin

4262_691815.jpg

I'm not talking about Starsiege:Tribes, I'm talking about the original Starsiege with mechs.

Have yet to find anyone who played it.

Have it installed on my computer, haven't played it in awhile though. Super fun game.

Lots of games I recognize here. Lots that I don't recognize as well.

I guess I'll contribute. Got a couple games that I could put up but I'll just put up one. Boppin' is a puzzle game of sorts with kind of a creepy tone to it, especially the bosses. Also your dude commits suicide if you get stuck by sticking a gun in his mouth and pulling the trigger I think. I only had the shareware version, but apparently the creators put the game up for free awhile back. That's cool of them.

http://jenniverse.com/boppin main.html

A couple of Atari 800 games I remember playing-

Liverpool.

A Football Manager-type game. You could only play Liverpool (why would you want to play anyone else?)- it was written in BASIC and took an age to update on match day.

liverpool_6.gif

Drelbs

Not that obscure maybe- a very addictive and slightly weird arcade game. I dreamt about the game for weeks after playing.

drelbs_synapse_software_4.gif

Attack Retrieve Capture, aka ARC.
678061-928105_20050801_002.jpg

Warheads: SE
8384f.gif

Deathdrome:
271015-deathdr_003.jpg

Netwits:
200597-netwits-windows-screenshot-netwits-game-switcheroo-s.png

Plane Crazy:
planecra_screen002.jpg

Microsoft Ants, but I can't find a picture.

I absolutely did play Wacky Wheels and HEDZ.

MegaRace, a racing game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDYEBgj5g3o

But then I later found out that it was a game that was notable for being a completely FMV game in 1993 with both CG and live action sequences. Plus, it was on SEGA CD, so yeah.

It's on GOG and according to Wikipedia, sold over 100,000 copies, so yeah... It's not as eclectic as I thought.

another classic
megar1.jpg

bros

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508876

turcy

Not played any of these, but have to say, find the descriptions of some of these games highly amusing.

Only game I can think of that isn't Wolfenstein, Commander Ken, or anything of like that is obscure to even me is one thing, but I lack its name. Not sure I'll even be able to give it a fair description, but it was a fighting game with robots. If I recall right before battle you would pick and choose your robot parts. It had two player as well because I would battle against my brother. I've never been able to get an answer out of anyone I know, but I'm sure my brother would remember the game, but lack the name as well.

one must fall?

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Blake Stone.
Never played the full version, but I did play the shareware version. It came included on my Terminal Velocity cd.

Starsiege
Never played Starsiege, but I did play a couple of the other games in the series. I'm pretty sure my Earthsiege 2 cd is around here still. Also played Cyberstorm, but I have no idea where that one ended up.

Which led to my love of Scorched Earth!

Did you ever play Scorched 3D? Been a few years since I last played, but I remember having a lot of fun with it. Really need to limit yourself to the smaller caliber weapons though. Nukes and MIRVs just have way too big an AoE compared to the map size.

I'm sure there has to be someone here that has played it before, but I spent so many hours playing Alien Legacy. The first time I played it I was really, really bad at it. I expanded too fast, didn't explore enough, didn't build up my colony sites and ended up having all my colonies wiped out by one of the early game story events. The second time I played it was a couple years later. I managed to build up proper colonies, spread my people to all the planets of the inner system and got through the early story events. I got so sucked into the story that I would wake up 2.5 hours before school just so that I could get extra play time in during the morning. Exploring the system and slowly piecing together what happened to the earlier colonists who disappeared by discovering all the ruins, technology or cryptic warnings they left behind.

5040-5-alien-legacy.jpg
5040-7-alien-legacy.jpg

5040-8-alien-legacy.jpg
Alien%20Legacy_10.png

sephiroth7x

Toonstruck-European-Cover.jpg

Its probably not even obscure but I used to love Toonstruck for some reason!

Space+BastardsR+2013-04-11+01-28-29-14.jpg

Then I played this game as well... think it was only a demo but was the most messed up piece of rubbish ever!!

Top Bottom