• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old games on new systems...help!

nikolino840

I have some questions...

There's a way to set the PC to detect or change the aspect ratio ? I have to do manually with the menu of the TV if a game Is 4/3

How to force a game in window mode on steam if the "codes tricks" dosen't work? A game with 640*480 looks shitty on full screen...

stranno

With dgVodoo (Direct3D 1-9 to Direct3D 11 wrapper) you can force any game to any modern resolution you want. Of course that won't do widescreen magically, you can try to find widescreen patches for that, since widescreen needs to be done per game.

If the game is OpenGL, you can try DXWnd, it can also force the desktop resolution.

For Glide, nGlide does the same.

Last edited:

Liftplus

Some old games dont support windowed mode, you can search for mods for that specific game. There's a big chance that someone made a mod like that if its a popular older game.

nikolino840

With dgVodoo (Direct3D 1-9 to Direct3D 11 wrapper) you can force any game to any modern resolution you want. Of course that won't do widescreen magically, you can try to find widescreen patches for that, since widescreen needs to be done per game.

If the game is OpenGL, you can try DXWnd, it can also force the desktop resolution.

For Glide, nGlide does the same.
I look those softwares on Google thankyou! I play mainly old games on PC

stranno

Point n click
The 640x480 game that i have Is the longest journey and there's pixels big like my hand :D

i have a screen fhd 24"
The Longest Journey is one of the worst games when it comes to compatibility with modern systems. For that game you should use ResidualVM, it is the same as ScummVM but for GrimE games (and this game) instead of Scumm/Sierra games.

On top of that you can also use the HD pack.

Last edited:

nikolino840

The Longest Journey is one of the worst games when it comes to compatibility with modern systems. For that game you should use ResidualVM, it is the same as ScummVM but for GrimE games (and this game) instead of Scumm/Sierra games.

Wow cool! I'm not an expert on PC...with that game i have tried the windowed mode on steam with the codes in the options but without success ... even with the .ini file that some steam user have left the tutorial in the comments section but not worked for me...

Tonight i try!

johntown

Banned
Trobleshooting older PC games on newer hardware/ OS's is a case by case issue. You really have to look at each game individually on Steam and do some research to see if it has any patches or other fixes, like widescreen. Lots of older games do have user hacks and fixes.

But in this case with The Longest Journey... have you tried using the daily build of ResidualVM? Which is a side project of SCUMMVM that works with some 3D point and click adventures.

Their last update from November 2019 actually has an update on the Longest Journey, as well. It might be worth checking out if you have no other options.

Last edited:

nikolino840

You really have to be more specific with the games you that you are trying to run. Trobleshooting PC older PC games on newer hardware/ OS's is a case by case issue. You really have to look at the game individually on Steam and do some research to see if it has any patches or widescreen fixes. Lots of older games do have user hacks and fixes.
Ah...clear! 👍😘

nikolino840

Updated my post. I missed that it was for The Longest Journey. But yeah, this game seems to be a tough one to get running.
Well no problem 👍 but now i look in the PC gaming wiki posted above ✌️ i didn't know that site .. i have Always looked in the comments section on steam for Infos

Top Bottom