• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old Games you still play?

super punchout
Tetris
Super Mario World
Super Castlevania 4
Mike Tyson's PunchOut
WaveRace 64
Tekken 3
Brigandine (one day i'll get off my lazy ass and beat it)

Ranger X

I usually replay all my older games but i guess there's some i've replayed more than other and comeback at it 2 times more often than the rest:

Super Metroid
Rad Racer 2
Super Mario Karts
Suikoden
Super Mario Bros 3
Doom PC or PSone
Aladin SNES
Castlevania series
Ninja Gaiden NES

Hawksley

Diablo II at this very moment.

Replaying Final Fantasy VIII and Tactics... but that's on hold for a while, seeing as how I kinda packed them for my move.

Ceek

Panzer General 4 Lyfe.

Hey, to you fellow X-Com fanatics, how the hell do you get that game to run on today's PC? I have my old DOS CD but I can't get it to work on XP. Any tips? I'd really like to play that game again. X-Com rules!

Super Mario World, for the time being. I think I'm gonna replay ThunderForce IV (or was it III?) and Flashback this summer (which starts in three weeks, woohoo!).

The recent threads on the Phantasy Star series have prompted me to dig out the old Genesis and replay PSII. Still a great, but almost chore-like experience in the beginning...stupid poisonous frogs.

Tellaerin

shpankey said:
Myth: The Fallen Lords
Myth II: Soulblighter
Diablo II
Nascar Racing 2003 Season

Just wanted to mention that I picked up Myth II: Worlds ('The Definitive Myth II Collection', according to the box; it's a 3-CD set that includes Myth II: Soulblighter, the map editor, several total conversions, multiplayer maps, etc.) on clearance at EB--it cost me $1.32 new. (Marked down to $4.41, and then there was an additional 70% off of the marked price.) I remembered you calling it one of the greatest games ever made, or something to that effect, so I grabbed it the moment I saw it. :) Still haven't gotten around to installing it yet, but if it's as awesome as you make it sound, you can expect me to start an appreciation thread for it once I've started playing. :)

Gibbo

I started playing the Arc The Lad Collection about a week ago. I think I;n nearing the end of Arc 1. I dunno, I felt that it was pretty disappointing... especially in the sound area. Heres hoping that Arc 2 & 3 will be much better

Dave Long

Banned
Ceek said:
Panzer General 4 Lyfe.

Hey, to you fellow X-Com fanatics, how the hell do you get that game to run on today's PC? I have my old DOS CD but I can't get it to work on XP. Any tips? I'd really like to play that game again. X-Com rules!

Go to http://dosbox.sourceforget.net and download DOSBox. It's a program that emulates a 386/486 PC on your current machine. Make sure you have a reasonably fast computer to do this, though X-Com is not very machine intensive.

Install it, start it up and read the INTRO on how to use it. Since you played DOS games, you should have no problems getting it working! I used a cycles setting of 7000 for X-Com. It runs great and it's the most accurate way to play the game. I have the Collector's Edition version which was built for Windows 95 and while it runs without any extra software, it also runs too fast and the sounds aren't exact to the original.

Good luck!

Tritroid said:
omg I have that game on NES. It rawks so hard!

I know :D ..

I play it with my bro... I still can't find a game that plays like it :( ..

great gameplay.. and the open field thing .. wooow

EDIT: did I say its my Best Game of All Time ? well it is :p

Bregor

Diablo 2
Half Life
Every once in a while I drag out Panzer Dragoon Saga and run through it - one of my all time favorites, but the graphics are starting to look really dated. :(

bjork

Nearly everything I play is old... I buy something new and forget about it for whatever reason, and when I think to play it, it's a year or more older. The most recent examples are MGS2 and Soul Calibur II.

I can't believe nobody mentioned Morrowind. Damn, that game rocks. Best RPG ever IMO, so much depth it's crazy. I still remember how in awe I was once I realized how huge Vivec was... I'm actually playing it again right now. Started about a week ago. Great, great game.

Discharger said:
I can't believe nobody mentioned Morrowind. Damn, that game rocks. Best RPG ever IMO, so much depth it's crazy. I still remember how in awe I was once I realized how huge Vivec was... I'm actually playing it again right now. Started about a week ago. Great, great game.

Definitely. It's one of those games that I doubt I'll ever stop playing entirely. Every time I play it's a new experience, from my character's type and how I roleplay it to the GIGANTIC island where there's always something new to find.

cs060mk2

omg all I play is old stuff too. Last gen rules!

Jetpack (speccy), Skate or die (PC, a real 486 since I dont touch emulation) and Lock'n'Chase (GB version 1.1 not the inferior first version with bad music timings, and definitely NOT the arcade version) for me.

Dave Long

Banned
Can we like cap this at older than five or ten years or something? People putting down games from a year or two ago is kinda silly.

DJ Sl4m

Buster Brothers on M.A.M.E.

Awesome 2 player fun, my girl loves it, and I love getting her to play games as much as possible :p

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
dr mario
snes puzzle bobble
sonic 2
super puzzle fighter 2x
super mario world
streets of rage
alex kidd in miracle world... the built in one on sms :p

Dave Long said:
Can we like cap this at older than five or ten years or something? People putting down games from a year or two ago is kinda silly.

I guess it's only been 2 years since Morrowind came out (checked and it came out around May 2002) but it seems like it's been ages. I think it's one of those games that will stay a classic for quite a few years and end up like a lot of the games mentioned in this thread, but you've got a point; it's not really an old game - I guess my job just warps my perception of time (mainly because of an irregular schedule).

A better example would be something like Deus Ex (2000) or Tie Fighter Collecters, both of which I've played recently. Tie Fighter/X-Wing rock - still the most fun I've had in a space "sim".

Dave Long

Banned
Deus Ex I'll accept. Tie Fighter/X-Wing... definitely! :)

I'm just being a little silly here. People can obviously post what they want. But to me a game isn't old if it was made in this century. Old is ten years ago at least for me. I guess that's what happens as you get older. ;)

hmmm....I played through FF4 recently...I've played that game more times then god should allow.

I actually had this idea that I had too much free time and was going to play through all the FF's I got to the End of 4 and halfway through 1....haven't gone back..yet

I alos got the GC Zelda Collection with the intentions of playing Zelda 1 again, and plan on getting the MM collection.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
NiGHTS into Dreams remains timeless. There is still nothing else that plays like it - a flying ballet across aerial stunt courses.

El Papa

I busted out my Saturn to play that not too long ago. I can't believe how good I used to be at that game, I suck now.

Lazy8s

It's all about keeping to those racing lines such that the stars and gems captured from a paraloop trickle onto NiGHTS as he/she closes the gap between two sets of sky hoops. Can't break the link.

cvxfreak

The Classic NES games I just got I bet fit under the description:

Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong
Pac-Man
The Legend of Zelda

El Papa

Yeah, I used to be able to string massive links together, especially in Christmas NiGHTS. Geez, Xmas NiGHTS was so cool.

Brannon

Street Fighter 2010 (NES), Ranger-X (GEN), Cybernator/Metal Warriors (SNES) and Guardian Heroes (SAT) all still get regular play from me. When 2D goes all out, it's beautiful. And their good music doesn't hurt either.

RiZ III

NiGHTS - The soundtrack is on my winamp playlist. Every now and then one of the songs plays giving me a sudden urge to play the game.

Age of Empires 2

Lazy8s

Right, Elliot's first Xmas NiGHTS course could be run in a way that kept the link going between laps and reaching towards the hundreds eventually.

The living element of the game's levels allow the residents of Nightopia to breed, evolve, and develop dispositions toward the player's influence upon their world. They can play their little horns at NiGHTS' good deeds and triumphs, and their moods determine the real-time composition of the musical score. Xmas NiGHTS put that to creative use with its Music Box mixing feature. The sampler's tie-in to the Saturn's internal clock, also, results in hidden features, themed intro screens, and levels that change with the time - snow blanketing the landscape, constellations showing across the night sky - and change with the season too - the sky hoops turning into Christmas wreaths, the stars into holiday bells, and everything in full holiday decor.

Top Bottom