• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Old Interview] In 2012, EviLore turned down $5,000,000 to keep control of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerSoul

Offered double since

svzEToz.gif
damn

Laconic

Banned
man, some people are stuck in the 90s.

5 mil isn't shit these days, you can't live comfortably on that and he's already said he loves his job so why sell it? So he can buy coke and hookers for 3 months?

like that saying goes. find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life

Cocaine is one hell of a drug.

...that I am fortunately NOT addicted to, so I'd be able to swing a reasonably comfortable lifestyle eeking by on 3% of 5 mil per year, thank you very much.

I had the oportunity to meet Evilore back in summer of 2012 when he did his Eurotrip.

He seemed to me just a normal person who loves what he does. If he turned down the 5M offer I think it's because he really felt that GAF was just a part of him as his eyes or his arms.

And probably he has a shitload of money

Grief.exe

For ten mill there wouldn't of been a question.

Ignore long term investments
Throw away a project you've devoted your life to

Get that short term money.

I think Evillore is in a better place to make an informed decision on this. $10,000,000 may seem like a lot of money, but GAF as a whole is worth more than that.

He seemed to me just a normal person who loves what he does. If he turned down the 5M offer I think it's because he really felt that GAF was just a part of him as his eyes or his arms.

And probably he has a shitload of money

That's what I'm assuming as well, having never met him.

NeoGAF is part of his identity, and -- as much as I hate to get all metaphysical here -- selling it would be the closest thing to him selling his soul.

Most people find happiness in their lives making $35,000/year or less. Tyler has more than enough money to enjoy his life, plus he has the freedom to travel and work virtually anywhere in the world (or on Mars if he can get a connection), so selling, even for $1 billion, probably doesn't really seem that appealing.

If he does sell for a ridiculous amount though, I bet he'd redistribute some of the wealth to the members who have stood by him from the start. That's the kind of guy I think he is, but again I'm just speculating.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
10M offered? Ads must be six figures per year, i guess.
And the first figure probably isn't a 1.. damn.
Well-done work pays in any field, it seems, even internet forum management!

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
well deserved because he put in the work and he saved GAF when it was on the brink of vanishing. He wisely cultivated it to the place it is today. 99.9% of people out there could not have done the same.

It's making him good $$$ now and it's value is only increasing so why sell it now when it will likely be worth more as it continues to grow? We all know once it's sold, it won't be the same and unless the right buyer buys it, it is likely to be dead within 3-5 years under new ownership if the past is any indication.

Evilore is more business savvy than he's too humble to admit.

EviLore should sell exclusive content to publishers.

$5,000 ~ early acess to the beta |OT| thread for one game of your chosing. Be first to post! Provide feedback for the topic creator! Help shape the thread!
$25,000 ~ megathread |OT| of one game of your chosing. Professionally done with at least 10,000 posts. (ModBot will bump as necessary)
$50,000 ~ Legendary thread |OT| of one game of your choosing. Same as above, plus: The |OT| thread will be posted an extra week early before release date, immunity from being banished to the /community forum. Guaranteed NeoGAF celeb posts.
$200,000 ~ EviLore-sanctioned For/Against thread. Challenge the GAF Hivemind through a rivetting course of psuedo-psycology, probably to the detriment of your future game.

It's surprising at first look, but then again not terribly surprising now that I think about it a bit more.

Depending on how information gets out and the painfully brutal honesty here, a massive neoGAF thread could easily cost a particular company tens of millions of dollars. Leaks here spread across the internet in minutes. I've read many articles from respected news sources that were only one click removed from someone else citing NeoGAF as their source.

Think of the huge fuss during last year's E3, for example. Microsoft got trashed here (deservedly) in a way that no general gaming media site could because at the end of the day Microsoft is either directly or indirectly related to their revenues. No matter how honest certain writers were willing to be they know that shadow is on the horizon.

GAF helped fuel the public perception of the Xbox One being a slow trainwreck in progress, played a part in huge string of 180s, and irked Microsoft enough to send official corporate PR here after substantial levels of unofficial astroturfing got squashed. It sparked memes notable enough to get @yosp to tip his hat to a single animated gif. It's actually pretty damn awesome. It's not unreasonable to think of a hardware or large software maker wanting to plop down a lump sum to try to eliminate these kinds of intangibles in their business plans. That's a power few sites of any kind can boast.

Dennis

Banned
EviLore should sell exclusive content to publishers.

$5,000 ~ early acess to the beta |OT| thread for one game of your chosing. Be first to post! Provide feedback for the topic creator! Help shape the thread!
$25,000 ~ megathread |OT| of one game of your chosing. Professionally done with at least 10,000 posts. (ModBot will bump as necessary)
$50,000 ~ Legendary thread |OT| of one game of your choosing. Same as above, plus: The |OT| thread will be posted an extra week early before release date, immunity from being banished to the /community forum. Guaranteed NeoGAF celeb posts.
$200,000 ~ EviLore-sanctioned For/Against thread. Challenge the GAF Hivemind through a rivetting course of psuedo-psycology, probably to the detriment of your future game.

Where do you think the money is coming from now?

Hugstable

Banned
Mad respect for Evilore if he really was offered 5 mil and turned it down to keep this site free of all that bullshit. It really is a better forum because of it, and even if I do complain about silly topics that pop up once in a while, GAF is truly the best place to discuss video games. Best place for news as well.

This reminds me of when I gave up a job that paid me 40k more than I make now just because I'm content where I am and everyone ridiculed me for it.

Kudos to you, Evilore. Not everything in this world is about money.

ruxtpin

Banned
well deserved because he put in the work and he saved GAF when it was on the brink of vanishing. He wisely cultivated it to the place it is today. 99.9% of people out there could not have done the same.

This is where I disagree, I think NeoGAF is a message board that - with the moderation policies in place - is self-sustaining. Granted, some of those policies come from EviLore (but his own interviews suggest GAF had strong moderation policies in place before he ever purchased the site); I've been here since some time in 2007/2008 and the biggest change I can remember is adding the community boards. I feel like GAF's success is as much a result of the community/members (which were already there), as it is pure luck with Evil being in the right place at the right time to buy it up when it was about to disappear. It's cool that he doesn't shill it out to some giant company though.

Moosichu

How long can you hold? Do you seek that thing beyond worldly riches? Are you waiting for the right price?

You have my respect.

All money is is the ability to buy services or material goods. But if Evilore earns enough to live comfortably without having to worry about it, having more won't suddenly make him happier. Above a certain threshold having money doesn't bring you more happiness unless you start giving large amounts of it away or putting it towards altruistic causes. (I read this in a study a while back, cannot remember which one.)

Long story short, something like Neogaf with a lot of personal value to evilore could be worth more than any amount of money to him. And once you feel like that about someting increasing the amount of money offered isn't going to make a difference. (assuming he feels this way)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom