• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old School sports games

cryptoadam

Banned
The EA thread got my nostalgia growing for the days when sports games were actually good and there was competition so they had to inovate.

What are some peoples favourite old school sports games? I used to rock NCAA Basketball on the SNES.

Or what about TECMO Basketball, was the shit.

Of course Tecmo Bowl

Ken Griffy

Joe Montana back on the genesis days, the game talked to you!

NFL 2K and NHL 2k

Sports games used to be so good. I didn't even go into things like Tennis, golf or Volleyball. Its now like the sports genre is dead in gaming.

Eimran

The game that got me into skating

Cw7a6K8.jpg

teezzy

Banned
71LCZFCP4oL._SL1500_.jpg

The GOAT. Even the GBA port was straight fire. The third entry in the series, NHL Hitz Pro, introduced 5 on 5 and had a 🙌 dope ass Lidstrom cover 🙌 but 2003 was more creative in its arcade aesthetics and had banging ass nu metal tracks all over the OST which perfectly encapsulated the series' attitude.

nhl-hitz-2003-66496800-e246-43fe-83d7-3f76e57787f-resize-750.jpeg

hqdefault.jpg

lyan

Played the shit out of Prince of Tennis on the GBA, can't seem find any good gif or videos that well showcase the game though unfortunately.

SpiceRacz

I felt like most baseball games on the N64 were bad. They leaned too far into simulation and the batting was usually awful. This is the only baseball game on 64 I enjoyed.

Mike_Front.png

I like the stuff that was on the SEGA and Nintendo platforms, and my kids do too. It's funny to see them spend an hour on an old clunky sports game like NBA Jam or Super Dodgeball and have a fun time. It shows there was some true quality in those old titles.

Some personal favs are NHL 94, Mutant League Hockey, Nintendo Golf series, NFL Blitz, Double Dribble, Jordan vs Bird, Ultimate Fighting Championship (DC), and Slalom. Arcade sports games are more up my alley than realistic franchise-mode games, if I hav a choice. I'm gaining a new fondness for the sports games on Saturn and Dreamcast, as well as the SEGA arcade sports games during that era.

The EA thread got my nostalgia growing for the days when sports games were actually good and there was competition so they had to inovate.

What are some peoples favourite old school sports games? I used to rock NCAA Basketball on the SNES.

Of course Tecmo Bowl

Ken Griffy

NFL 2K and NHL 2k

Sports games used to be so good. I didn't even go into things like Tennis, golf or Volleyball. Its now like the sports genre is dead in gaming.

this may sound like hyperbole but some of the blocking engagements and tackling animations from NFL 2k are not that far behind what we get with Madden today

wild

I used to love High Heat Baseball too

35cent

This is my pick for a fictional sports game. One of my favourite games I had for the Atari ST when I was a kid

220px-Speedball_2_cover.png

This was the first PS1 game I played. I remember being blown away by the fact is was 3D and had stuff like cockpit camera and dynamic weather

220px-Formula1_97_front.jpg

synchronicity

Gold Member
The thing that has alienated a lot of genre fans is the increased complexity and loss of pick-up-and-play fun (along with ridiculous micro-transactions). As I've gotten older, I've leaned into management sims more like Out of the Park Baseball, Football Manager, etc.

There are some recent examples of good arcade sports gaming though. Stuff like Super Mega Baseball, for example. And Hot Shots golf is always fun imo. (Hot Shots Tennis on PS2 was fun as well.)

The best old-school titles were Tecmo Super Bowl (NES), NHL '94 (Genesis), World Series Baseball (Genesis), Pro Wrestling (NES) Ice Hockey (NES), NFL Gameday (PS1) and NHL Faceoff '98 (PS1), among others like PES on PS2, NFL 2K5, etc - depending on how old is "old-school" for you. Tennis Elbow 2013 on PC is a great tennis game too imo.

Shox, Freekstyle, SSX, Sled Storm, FIFA Street, NFL Street, NBA Street, Def Jam Vandetta, the EA Sports BIG range from EA was a hell of a lot of fun back in the day.

Shame EA saw fit to brush that range under the rug.

D.Final

Banned

Of course Tecmo Bowl

Ken Griffy

NFL 2K and NHL 2k

Good old memories

Top Bottom