• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Older games that were considered good but you can't stand to play them again.

Alebrije

Basically all the Nes library and most of Snes and Genesis games. Basically current 2D / pixel games are better than the past ones...I loved Axiom Verge by example but can not get into Metroid again..

NikuNashi

Final Fight. (Sides rolling beatemups in general)

I can't play them anymore, just not interesting enough, beautiful and cool to look at, ass to play.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
TES in general.

I played both Oblivion and Skyrim to death when they were released. Tried several times to replay them... can't do it. I wasn't even able to get into them again a few months after the inital playthrough to play the add ons/DLC. It's insane to think that I put so many hours into Oblivion but by the time Shivering Isles came out I was so done with it, I haven't touched the expansion to this day - even though I know it's supposed to be amazing.

I actually dont think its THAT bad to go back to. The first person aiming is shit. But the driving and open world design really hold up imo

The trick is to play them on PC, as god intended. The ps2 gta's use auto camera and that snap on aiming, of course its gonna be terrible. It was always terrible. Playing it on a computer, its the same mouse/keyboard affair as any game ever. Its much better and modern feeling to play

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I still haven't met a game from my youth that I couldn't get into again...

Getting into Tony Hawk again was a jam. Crash: Team Racing is still very fun. Silent Hill still plays like shit, but you can get used to it and the game is such a superb experience, I don't mind the janky controls. Super Mario 64 still plays amazing despite the janky camera and the fact that the follow-ups improved upon the mechanics greatly...

For titles like GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, you can use emulation to improve framerate and controls. Turok got a remaster that deals with the game's flaws.
Playing GT2 again was a little weird because I am used to analog triggers, but it still plays fine enough and I feel like you can get used to it rather quickly.

I guess Sonic's Adventure is a game that used to be much better.

Still, I think what it boils down to is that most titles that used to be good are in fact still good and the problem is the players being too lazy to adapt to the older style of controls and mechanics. Like it took me almost two hours to get into old school Resident Evil and I guess most would have written it off by that already and declared it an aged P.O.S, but on the contrary, I don't have any problems playing any game using tank controls anymore and since most games using tank controls play very similarly, it opened me for a wide range of different games. Someone mentioned Eternal Darkness.., but that game doesn't even use tank controls and plays very well for a horror title from the early 2000s.

Sophist

As someone who still play old games regularly, my experience is that if the game has a solid gameplay or an entertaining story, then it's still enjoyable even if the graphics are ugly. Now, many games are overhyped by then gamers due to a lack of diversity/experience; Today we have an easy access to a tremendous amount of games through online stores and emulation so we can compare games more easily but in the past it was common to own only one game platform per generation. The guy who played Turok 2 on N64 probably didn't played Half-life or Medal of honour until years later, thus Turok 2 may have felt like a great game while it was actually average in comparison (That tortuous level design).

Rudius

Every 3D game from PS1 and PS2 era and most 3D games from PS3 era. I feel like PS5 era will be the first 3D generation that will preserve really well from visual and gameplay perspective. Older games just don't look or play as good as we remember.
PS4 will age well in my opinion, as long as you can tolerate 30fps. Games like Spiderman and Uncharted 4 will never look and play bad.

93xfan

Banned
Mario Kart on the SNES. Loved it as a kid, went back to it a couple of years ago and... nope. Tracks are super short, the game feels "slippery" as hell, rubberband AI is whack, musical track loops are very short... etc.

It's a good concept that eventually led to the glorious, amazing game that is Mario Kart 8... but man, it's rough to go back to. (In fact I just play the SNES tracks on Mario Kart 8, instead of playing SNES Mario Kart).
I agree about races feeling slippery, but I still love the music. Also, battle mode is still amazing with a friend!

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
PS4 will age well in my opinion, as long as you can tolerate 30fps. Games like Spiderman and Uncharted 4 will never look and play bad.
We’ve said this time and time again, each generation.

Prepare yourself, those games may start being called ugly sooner than you think.

I'd go with Morrowind too. I havent played it since 2003, but Im confident that I wouldnt enjoy it nowadays, mainly because of the combat.

Nearly everything from the PS1 / N64 era. Those titles have aged really poorly and even the best RPGs have simple, hamfisted storylines with primitive cutscenes.

For me, it's specifically the 3D titles (shooters, hack and slash, fighters, etc) on those platforms. Going back to 12fps and extremely clunky and limited controls / gameplay is too much for me.

2D still holds up, and I still go back to my NES and SNES from time to time.

Xbox / PS2 can be rough, but with realistic expectations and some patience it's still enjoyable. Went back recently to Jade Empire, Halo CE and Ninja Gaiden Black on Xbox and although it took me a while, eventually things clicked and I found myself enjoying the experience again.

360 / PS3 is the generation where, for me, most games that I enjoyed back then are still enjoyable now. 720P / 30FPS is good enough for me to have fun with the gameplay, and some of the later games of that generation still look really good. Gears Of War 3 and Halo 4 are standouts for me.

Reindeer

We say that every gen and then after a while we look back and then those games just don't look as good, but I do agree that PS4 games overall should age ok. I just think by the time we get to PS6 we will probably have 120fps option in games and it will be very hard to go back to 30fps at that point.

Last edited by a moderator:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
first game that came to mind would be Skyrim.

loved that game but can't go back to it. i've tried multiple times because i never got to play the DLC. stupid 18 year old me deleted the save after i finished and i couldn't be arsed replaying it again. when i did want to replay it the game just felt so out dated and i just didn't enjoy it.

Rudius

We’ve said this time and time again, each generation.

Prepare yourself, those games may start being called ugly sooner than you think.
With 2D graphics that happend around the 16bit generation, or with systems a little stronger than that, like the Neogeo.

And it's not like all 2D is ageless. A game like Metal Slug still looks good, but something like Contra looks too simple.

metalslug-01.jpg

contra-nes.jpg

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
(shooters, hack and slash, fighters, etc)
I think that really depends. There wasn't a blueprint on how to do controls for a shooter on consoles back then, so everyone did it differently.
Shooters that don't require much if any precise aiming like Alien Trilogy still play fine, maybe a little slow on the turning but definitely playable.
Games like Medal of Honor are a little harder to get into, I agree. As for fighters.. you mean stuff like Tekken? Yeah, I don't think so. I recently played Bloody Roar 2 and that game plays very well. Most 3D-Fighters are still like 2D-Fighters in most aspects. You may can sidestep, but other than that there isn't much of a difference.

meanspartan

I bought Manhunt on Ps4 after having loved that game decades ago on Ps2. While the visuals have aged pretty impressively when upscaled to HD, I fucking can't stand how the game won't let me un-invert the camera and I just got frustrated and quit. If it weren't for that I'd probably have played it a good amount.

Metal Gear Solid 5. Once you go through everything and grind out that Outer Heaven, i tried years later to restart it. So first of all there isnt even a New Game option at all. You have to delete everything.

Then after 3 missions i was like fuck this, cant go through it all over again just because its such a barren world with drops of story which im most interested in going in second time. The opening scene was still boss but when the world opened up...i was like fuck this and decided to keep ot a memory.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I tried to pick up Perfect Dark for hte N64 a couple times in the past couple years and could not get into it. I was a huge golden eye fan but never really played the original perfect dark. I might try the remake on xbox.

I think that really depends. There wasn't a blueprint on how to do controls for a shooter on consoles back then, so everyone did it differently.
Shooters that don't require much if any precise aiming like Alien Trilogy still play fine, maybe a little slow on the turning but definitely playable.
Games like Medal of Honor are a little harder to get into, I agree. As for fighters.. you mean stuff like Tekken? Yeah, I don't think so. I recently played Bloody Roar 2 and that game plays very well. Most 3D-Fighters are still like 2D-Fighters in most aspects. You may can sidestep, but other than that there isn't much of a difference.

Yeah I guess it depends on the game. A while back I popped in the original Soul Edge / Soul Blade and Battle Arena Toshinden, and man it was rough. Tekken 3 on the other hand was a much better experience.

But a lot of it has to do with getting used to the older graphics and controls. Dino Crisis 2 for example just 'clicked' after a while, and was just as much fun as back in the day.

Pretty much every old game. Playing them again and again on every system Nintendo released cured me of my rose-tinted nostalgia. A lot of them were just pure frustration, but we didn't know any better as kids.

luffie

Diablo 2

I've been thinking about it since the remake announcement; Diablo 2 was great, probably one of the games I've spent the most time playing. But all the gameplay mechanics are super antiquated by today's standards, it has aged atrociously, and it's not a matter of shiny graphics (or lack thereof). I don't think I'd be able to enjoy the original anymore, nor the remake. :(
This. The remake has nothing new except shinier graphics, and Blizzard can't wait to sell it for full price with 0 innovation just like WoW remastered.

I'm not going to pay full price for that ever.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I hate to say it, TimeSplitters.

I adore the games, but it's kind of hard to play them now. The aiming was really bad in those games, and I just seemed to overlook it a lot because of how much I loved playing them.

Haggard

Banned
Nearly everything with "realistic" 3D graphics since the advancements in that area are so rapid.
This has become worse since RT entered the stage...now I scowl over every wrong shadow or cut off reflection.

I´ll never get people who care about BC.

8bitpill

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Most older games have a hard time holding up. The thing that brings us back is knowing once you start that game you played ten, twenty, thirty years ago will bring back all those memories. It can make you remember exactly what you were doing that morning, afternoon, or night all those years ago while playing said game.

For example,
resident-evil-1.jpg

RE1, I remember my best friend and I playing this together as teenagers. I would play the parts he couldn't pass and he would play the parts I couldn't pass. Great memories but playing RE1 the original PS1 version, those Tank Controls, just feels wrong and you have to slowly unteach yourself basic game controls.

Go play Evil Dead for the original PS1, you want to talk about games that don't feel right while playing and certainly don't hold up. Love the fact it's a Evil Dead game, but the fact it we a RE clone not made by Capcom makes it that much harder to play.

Top Bottom