• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OLED or LED for gaming?

CyberPanda

Banned
Hello. I am considering purchasing a new tv, and I was thinking of getting the C9 OLED. Unfortunately, I’ve been reading horror stories about burn in, and has me sitting on the fence with my purchase decision. On the other hand, I am looking at QLED, and on Rtings I’ve read many good things in regards to gaming and overall PQ. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Hello. I am considering purchasing a new tv, and I was thinking of getting the C9 OLED. Unfortunately, I’ve been reading horror stories about burn in, and has me sitting on the fence with my purchase decision. On the other hand, I am looking at QLED, and on Rtings I’ve read many good things in regards to gaming and overall PQ. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I would go for OLED, and C9 is a great choice.

I'm buying the CX on a Black Friday deal this year, but that's because I have an original Xbox One, so there's no need for me to have a 4K TV at the moment.

Aidah

I bought a C9 recently and it's pretty unbelievable. I'm not that worried about the possibility of burn in, and personally I would take it over LCD even if it had some burn in right out of the box, as I would still enjoy it more. I wouldn't want to give it up for anything else right now. I use it almost entirely for gaming by the way.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
We had a thread on this recently and the vast majority of people (myself included) have had no problems. It seems to still be a problem for some people, the issue is that you don't know what some people are doing with those devices and they will never be honest about it because they don't want to sound like it's their fault.

Personally I've had my C6 for over 3 years now and not had a single issue, and it's fucking delicious. Without a doubt the best panels you can buy, and if you're going to dump loads of money on a new TV, don't half-ass it and go for QLED. Save a little more money first. You simply can't get better than the depth OLED provides.

Ulysses 31

Generally OLED for movies, QLED for gaming, sports.

Ulysses 31

It seems to still be a problem for some people, the issue is that you don't know what some people are doing with those devices and they will never be honest about it because they don't want to sound like it's their fault.
Yeah and if what some people do with those deceives isn't an issue with non-OLED TVs means that it's an issue with OLED TV and not the people.

CyberPanda

Banned
Be warned though Samsung QLEDs have 120 Hz PWM flicker in game mode. This causes motion duplication and can cause eye strain if you are sensitive to flicker.
Really? That sucks. I’m currently look at the CX OLEDs. They look really impressive.

Ulysses 31

Be warned though Samsung QLEDs have 120 Hz PWM flicker in game mode. This causes motion duplication and can cause eye strain if you are sensitive to flicker.
Haven't read about any motion duplication with the higher-end Samsung TVs(Q90/Q900).

Glad I'm not, only notice flicker when I switch to 60Hz mode with LED Clear Motion.

kiiltz

I have the C9 and it's gorgeous especially in a dimly lit room. I'm not sure if it's worth it unless you have something capable of playing HDR though.

Also not a fan of QLEDS. Housemate has one and I've noticed some ghosting/blurry images (mainly with sports) and blacks are no where near as good as OLEDS. The glare is also horrendous.

Amaranty

Really? That sucks. I’m currently look at the CX OLEDs. They look really impressive.
I don't have personal experience with OLED's but so far OLED's have been all flicker free. I would suggest to wait for reviews before purchasing a new TV. Rtings.com does in depth reviews.

Haven't read about any motion duplication with the higher-end Samsung TVs(Q90/Q900).

Glad I'm not, only notice flicker when I switch to 60Hz mode with LED Clear Motion.
Some people notice duplications and flicker while others don't. Check the response time test of the Q90R on Rtings.com https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q90-q90r-qled The test shows the response time while the TV runs at 960 Hz. Here's LG SM9000 response time test, which has a constant 120 Hz PWM flicker https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/sm9000

You can see how PWM flicker rate affects motion.

Whitecrow

Banned
what are you not satisfied with? was looking at getting it
It's not that is bad, but I think I had too much expectations for it. I was expecting to be blown away by HDR, but I wasnt.
I think QLEDs are better for it, they have better contrast (the smaller ones without angle improving tech) and better color gamut, but worst color accuracy.

Fuck, you really cant have it all T_T

Skyr

If you are highly competitive gamer in a specific game with a hud go LED. If you literally have no life and game 10h a day go LED.
If you are a normal human being who alternates his content between different games/movies go OLED.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah and if what some people do with those deceives isn't an issue with non-OLED TVs means that it's an issue with OLED TV and not the people.

Not necessarily, it could be both. Considering the overwhelming majority of people don't have an issue, people that get OLED burn-in are either really unlucky or aren't treating their devices properly. Probably a mixture of the two.

It's not inherently the TV's fault just because you can treat a different type of TV in the same manner and not get the same results. That's like ragging a 1.2L engine until it fails and then saying that it's the engine's fault because you get away with doing that in a 1.7L. Or something like that. I'm not as good with cars.

AV

I have the C9 and it's gorgeous especially in a dimly lit room. I'm not sure if it's worth it unless you have something capable of playing HDR though.

See, I'd say the opposite. I think HDR looks like someone slapped an Instagram filter over what I'm trying to watch. It's not as bad with games to be honest, but if you're watching a movie you've seen before with HDR on it just looks... wrong. Like someone coloured it in with crayons. It detracts from the black depth and colour pop that OLEDs are great for.

Still, a lot of people swear by HDR so it's all personal preference, I just don't use the thing.

Ulysses 31

Yeah I had two girlfriends. I mistreated one and she never complained while the other was not gonna stand for it. Something must be wrong with the other.
False equivalence, having an LCD TV on for long periods of time with the same content isn't abuse of that TV.

Last edited:

holygeesus

Banned
False equivalence, having an LCD TV on for long periods of time with the same content isn't abuse of that TV.

You never answered this the last time I asked, but why are you so aggressively anti-OLED in every thread that is posted? You never seem keen on acknowledging the negatives of LCD in the same way. Comes across as strange.

Personally, I find vertical banding more of an issue with OLED than potential burn-in, and tinting on the recent LG range has been terrible. There are far more sticks to beat OLED tech with than potential of burn-in, but then the same can be said for literally any technology when it comes to TVs.

Ulysses 31

You never answered this the last time I asked, but why are you so aggressively anti-OLED in every thread that is posted? You never seem keen on acknowledging the negatives of LCD in the same way. Comes across as strange.

Personally, I find vertical banding more of an issue with OLED than potential burn-in, and tinting on the recent LG range has been terrible. There are far more sticks to beat OLED tech with than potential of burn-in, but then the same can be said for literally any technology when it comes to TVs.
I'm not anti-OLED, it's great for movie watching and you'll have to be mindful when playing games and other stuff with static logos/icons. I have mentioned that OLED has quality over LCD and that there's some blooming around bright things on a dark background.

Don't know why you ignore that vertical banding and DSE can happen on OLED too.

Amaranty

See, I'd say the opposite. I think HDR looks like someone slapped an Instagram filter over what I'm trying to watch. It's not as bad with games to be honest, but if you're watching a movie you've seen before with HDR on it just looks... wrong. Like someone coloured it in with crayons. It detracts from the black depth and colour pop that OLEDs are great for.

Still, a lot of people swear by HDR so it's all personal preference, I just don't use the thing.
HDR has been a hit and miss in gaming for me. Some games implement it well while other games are quite bad with it. The only game that really had a "wow" effect on me was God of War in HDR. Other games like Assassin's Creed and Spider-man look more natural, which is pleasant because I do favour picture accuracy over color pop, but it's not always perfect. For example in Assassin's Creed Odyssey there's flashback scenes, which shows a white screen for a few seconds and the white screen is so bright that I have to close my eyes or look away because it scorches my eyes.

Ulysses 31

HDR has been a hit and miss in gaming for me. Some games implement it well while other games are quite bad with it. The only game that really had a "wow" effect on me was God of War in HDR. Other games like Assassin's Creed and Spider-man look more natural, which is pleasant because I do favour picture accuracy over color pop, but it's not always perfect. For example in Assassin's Creed Odyssey there's flashback scenes, which shows a white screen for a few seconds and the white screen is so bright that I have to close my eyes or look away because it scorches my eyes.
So you're not looking forward to eyeball searing 4000 nits brightness that microled will bring sometime in the future?!?!? :p :p :p

AV

Did you even try to play with HDR settings or calibration?...

I'm gonna have to have another go, because every time I try, it just tends up looking drab. I have no idea how people say HDR makes colours pop, every time I've used it everything looks maybe more "true to life", but muddy. Eventually I just gave up and turned it off whenever I could.

TheBoss1

That's not the sole issue. It's the people who do that along with falling asleep with the TV on the entire night, or unplugging the set, or pausing, or leaving the TV unattended for hours with a static screen. Those habits are just pure carelessness.

Yes OLED has issues, but those can be remedied with a little extra caution. If using sleep/off timers and simply pressing an off button is too much effort then yeah you are more of a problem than the technology. I have burn in on my Samsung Galaxy S8 due mainly to my terrible phone habits, so I know the risks more than most. Also, I use both FALD and OLED sets atm so I can actually speak from experience.

Kanton

Had QLED but switched it for OLED (C9). Burn in is not a problem unless you have some sort of difficulty with adjusting the simplest of settings. The Samsung has a bright contrasty over saturated image thats unwatchable in medium to dark room, i would only consider it if you live on the sun.

Ulysses 31

That's not the sole issue. It's the people who do that along with falling asleep with the TV on the entire night, or unplugging the set, or pausing, or leaving the TV unattended for hours with a static screen. Those habits are just pure carelessness.

Yes OLED has issues, but those can be remedied with a little extra caution. If using sleep/off timers and simply pressing an off button is too much effort then yeah you are more of a problem than the technology. I have burn in on my Samsung Galaxy S8 due mainly to my terrible phone habits, so I know the risks more than most. Also, I use both FALD and OLED sets atm so I can actually speak from experience.
Falling asleep and leaving the TV on the whole night/day is careless indeed but scenarios where someone plays a lot of the same game(s) every day I wouldn't qualify as abusing the TV. And here's where a weakness of OLED comes in, it's more constraint when it comes to "use conditions" compared to LCD TVs but people pass it off as abusing the TV when other TVs can handle those conditions just fine, ignoring the carelessness cases.

Going from an LG OLED to QLED I'm speaking for experience too.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
We had a thread on this recently and the vast majority of people (myself included) have had no problems. It seems to still be a problem for some people, the issue is that you don't know what some people are doing with those devices and they will never be honest about it because they don't want to sound like it's their fault.

Personally I've had my C6 for over 3 years now and not had a single issue, and it's fucking delicious. Without a doubt the best panels you can buy, and if you're going to dump loads of money on a new TV, don't half-ass it and go for QLED. Save a little more money first. You simply can't get better than the depth OLED provides.
Fun fact, the best QLEDs are more expensive than the C9.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I've had two OLEDs and had no issue with gaming.

My own advice would be - if you are going to play any single game for 1000 hours + buy an LCD, if not, OLED every time.
This is excellent advice. If the TV has additional uses outside of gaming then it's a no brainer to go for OLED as it offers the best picture.

However, I am hesitant to recommend OLED if that person is strictly using it for gaming and will play only one game for long long periods. If that person is only going to play Fortnite then I'd absolutely recommend a cheaper LED.

Last edited:

TheBoss1

Falling asleep and leaving the TV on the whole night/day is careless indeed but scenarios where someone plays a lot of the same game(s) every day I wouldn't qualify as abusing the TV. And here's where a weakness of OLED comes in, it's more constraint when it comes to "use conditions" compared to LCD TVs but people pass it off as abusing the TV when other TVs can handle those conditions just fine, ignoring the carelessness cases.

Going from an LG OLED to QLED I'm speaking for experience too.
I consider myself one of the laziest human beings alive and don't have any issues with burn-in on my OLED. I play maybe 2-3 games for extended sessions, especially on the weekends, and have not even noticed image retention once. It's not perfect but the issues are overblown. Most people are already more careless with their TVs than me, but will never experience burn-in because it's a rare occurrence.

Last edited:

AV

Okay, but if you know going in (like anyone asking about these panels online like Curry is) and still don't take the proper care to avoid screen burn (which is as simple as taking short breaks with a screensaver), I'd say that's not looking after it properly, right?

I definitely agree that it'd be annoying to not be aware of it, play a game for 18 hours a day and get burn in without knowing what happened, but we aren't really talking about that kind of person here, because Curry's already asking questions. I just don't see it as a "weakness". If anything the weakness is the lack of communication to consumers on the subject.

Ulysses 31

Okay, but if you know going in (like anyone asking about these panels online like Curry is) and still don't take the proper care to avoid screen burn (which is as simple as taking short breaks with a screensaver), I'd say that's not looking after it properly, right?

I definitely agree that it'd be annoying to not be aware of it, play a game for 18 hours a day and get burn in without knowing what happened, but we aren't really talking about that kind of person here, because Curry's already asking questions. I just don't see it as a "weakness". If anything the weakness is the lack of communication to consumers on the subject.
Well yeah, if you're informed about burn-in then it is your responsibility to handle the TV with more care. I think TV sellers and manufacturers should make buyers aware of the risk of burn-in which didn't happen when I bought my OLED back in 2016... :lollipop_confounded: :lollipop_confounded: :lollipop_confounded:

Reactions: AV

DrDamn

I was flip flopping between a C9 and Q90R towards the end of last year. Started off wanting C9 then went more towards Q90R. I really like some of the Samsung stuff like OneConnect Box, good brightness and low reflections. When push came to shove though any time I saw them both in a shop, side by side, playing the same content - the C9 just looked noticeably better. That was my preference, some people prefer the brightness and pop of the QLEDs. They are both great TVs. Finally pulled the trigger on a C9 4 weeks ago and I am really happy with it. See if you can find them playing the same content somewhere and compare.

Newari

Didn't specify PC or console? Would recommend OLED anyway, but if you are playing on PC LG 9 and X series OLEDS are only TVs with G-Sync.
Picture quality in OLED vs high end LCD is good enough that you reach subjective territory on what you want from your image.

holygeesus

Banned
I'm not anti-OLED, it's great for movie watching and you'll have to be mindful when playing games and other stuff with static logos/icons. I have mentioned that OLED has quality over LCD and that there's some blooming around bright things on a dark background.

Don't know why you ignore that vertical banding and DSE can happen on OLED too.

I'm not ignoring anything. I mentioned banding in the very post you quoted. I have no allegiance either way, coming from a Kuro plasma to a Sony LCD before plumping for my last two OLED sets. I have experience across the board and am more than happy to discuss the pros and cons and each.

Indeed the very post you quoted has me admitting that the biggest flaw in OLED technology is vertical banding, but it only appears for me in just above black content, and only occasionally do I see it (or is I put a 5% grey slide up). There are examples of OLEDs with bands in all content, which would be an immediate return for me, and also tinting, which as I said is an issue more with LG 2019 sets (though not all of course) fortunately my Sony AF9 is as clean as a whistle on that score.

AV

Go for the QLED because that is where the value is.

For the price of a 55 inch OLED you can get a 75 inch QLED.

And for the price of a 75 inch QLED you can get a 120 inch 1080p projector.

Bigger doesn't inherently mean better. QLED is the 1440p of panels, it's a nice medium ground but it's not "where the value is".

Vasto

And for the price of a 75 inch QLED you can get a 120 inch 1080p projector.

Bigger doesn't inherently mean better. QLED is the 1440p of panels, it's a nice medium ground but it's not "where the value is".

Bigger does not mean better for you because you are comparing to totally different products.

We are talking about QLED vs OLED TVs. 1080P? LMAO

LCD.

Oled have too much problem for intensive gaming. Risk of burn-in, black crush(loss of details in dark zones and shadows), banding, and defective pixels are way more present on Oled than LCD...
I would go for OLED, and C9 is a great choice.

I'm buying the CX on a Black Friday deal this year, but that's because I have an original Xbox One, so there's no need for me to have a 4K TV at the moment.

9LV0Quy.jpg

^^^OP

AV

Bigger does not mean better for you because you are comparing to totally different products.

All you did was compare size-to-money value. If you're trying to save money and go big, a projector is a valid choice, even if you go smaller and 4K.

If you want to talk about picture quality? And you can afford a 75" QLED? You can probably afford a 65" OLED, even if you have to wait a bit longer. I just don't see the point in compromising if you have the capital. Maybe that's just me, it seems like a waste.

TheBoss1

As if "QLED" can compare to OLED. There's a reason Samsung is trying to confuse consumers with their QLED moniker. And also why they're investing in making OLED panels for next year or so.

The only reason to choose one over an OLED is if you live on the Sun or you don't want to have to baby a TV.

Vasto

All you did was compare size-to-money value. If you're trying to save money and go big, a projector is a valid choice, even if you go smaller and 4K.

If you want to talk about picture quality? And you can afford a 75" QLED? You can probably afford a 65" OLED, even if you have to wait a bit longer. I just don't see the point in compromising if you have the capital. Maybe that's just me, it seems like a waste.

OLED is not better. You have to know what kind if image you like. You are not compromising by choosing QLED because it offers a different picture than a OLED does. QLEDS offer a brighter, vibrant and more colorful picture compared to OLEDS picture. Also the worst thing a person can do is make their decision buy looking at those TVs in a store running those demos. You need to see what real content looks like.

Here is a video I recently saw where a guy first bought a Q90 and him and his family loved it but it was defective so he switched it out to a C9 OLED because the place he bought it from was giving him a hard time on his return. His family hated the C9 OLED.

Top Bottom