• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMG - GoW runs at 4k 60 fps (Unpatched) - VG Tech

Banned
Thing is, I have always been a proponent of unlocked framerates....I played Shadowfall unlocked, I played Infamous Second Son unlocked, I played Tomb Raider remastered unlocked.....I always prefer the higher frames over 30fps, it's better for controller response everytime, that's a fact...

DF then came up and during their faceoffs, predominantly with PS games or in multiplats, were always crying about locking this unlocked game to 30fps, it's mostly in it's 50's, lock it they say, it's in the high 40's or even mid 40's lock it they say. In pretty much every faceoff I was saying that a 30fps cap should be an option, but I remember clearly that John Linneman who was the chief person asking for capped framerates in almost every faceoff with unlocked dips, I always disagreed, because he actually wanted the dev to cap framerates and get rid of unlocked games because in his opinion how could anyone play unlocked, "the usual judder spiel" ensued.....Well many people do play unlocked just like myself, and even then, I always foresaw the benefit of having unlocked framerates when BC came into the picture, because we all knew these consoles would be BC....

The best solution in my opinion even last gen was unlocked framerates and DR resolution, that would clearly be the perfect set up for PC to come in and lock both rez and framerates on the highest scale....Yet, some people are nearsighted and don't see the bigger picture.....Funny enough, it's John Linneman asking for many BC games to get patched by devs now...... :rolleyes:

well a cap shouod always be an option, options are great!
just like motion blur should also always be an option (FUCK MOTION BLUR!)
having a 30fps cap is not bad, Killzone Shadowfall added one and didn't get rid of the option to play unlocked.

sometimes a cap is better than unlocked if the game barely gets into the 40s in any reasonable gameplay scenario (meaning not just looking to the ground or the sky) because a perfectly even 30fps looks nice and a juttery 30 to 40 fps looks like a mess.

but options should be there. that option is the reason why people who don't like the graphical changes of Buoshock 1/2 remastered can still now play the original 360 versions at a perfect 60fps on One X or Series X|S... if every game had that option playing old games would be a way better experience and games would probably still sell on online stores.

people would talk about them again, "have you heard that Mirror's Edge now runs at a perfect 60fps on Series X???"
Hitman 2 now runs at basically 4k60 on Series X thanks to the developers having separate resolution and framerate toggles.
what was once designed as the 30fps mode is now a 60fps mode, while the 1440p mode is still there if you want 100% locked 60fps.

and every developer should do it that way! if God of War had the framerate toggle separate from the resolution toggle everyone could now just play it at 2160cb 60 fps without this weird workaround

Last edited:

Hugare

they used to. Thats why KZ SF, Infamous and Until Dawn all run at 60 fps despite being launch window or year 1 games.

What happened here is that DF started to complain and then people started to make a big deal out of unlocked framerates and most devs just locked it. Sucker punch added a 30 fps option as well, but they had the common sense to leave the original mode in there as well.

I blame DF and framerate nerds on the internet.

Yes.
Another thing that Until Dawn, KZ SF and Infamous SS gas in common is that they ran like shit when uncaped

People made a "big deal" rightfuly so, because its better to have 30 FPS caped for fluidity than fluctuating 30-45.

Letting the game run like shit for 7 years so it could run at 60 fps on the PS5 would be pretty idiotic. Thats not the answer.

Making it an option as it was the case with Infamous is the right way to do it. But back then they couldnt have predicted what was gonna happen with BC on the PS5.

Last edited:
they actually did patch both tlou2 and gow a week or two before launch. gow got its first patch in two years. and they still didnt add an unlocked framerate option for their 4k mode.

absolutely bizarre. wouldnt be suprised if jimbo had something to do with this. I mean how can they spend a year porting Horizon to pc and yet cant spend a few days unlocking a 60 fps option for the resolution mode? they really dont need to do any porting. it just works.

Same with The last Guardian

it's really infuriating that they aren't giving an unlock option. The system seems to have no problem with running PS4 games at 4K 60

vkbest

It was originally uncapped.

People complained and Sony patched to add performance option and with that they capped the original vis.

That is why it only works with the game unlatched.

Day 0 1.01 Patch
  • Added settings options to favor performance (increased framerate) or favor resolution (2160p Checkerboard) when playing on a PlayStation®4 Pro system
  • To find this mode, go to the Settings menu, click Camera, and navigate to Graphics Mode
  • Added Immersive UI Mode which shows minimal HUD
  • To find this mode, go to the Settings menu and click HUD and switch HUD Mode to Immersive
  • Added 3 additional HUD Settings to toggle the Compass, Enemy Health Bars, and Enemy Off-Screen Indicators ON or OFF
  • Various other bug fixes and improvements

People complained? Lol, performance mode was the first day, and was announced 2 weeks before the release

TonyK

I'm a Playstation fanboy, I love GOW, but stop saying 4K for non native resolution. 4K checkerboard is not what 4K means. It's like the new gen games with that dynamic 4K that almost never hits 4K but people and press call 4K.

skneogaf

Wow I'm watching this right now on LG C9 oled in 4k@60hz and god damn my favourite game of 2018 that made me buy a ps4pro looks absolutely incredible at these settings.

If this gets a native 4k@60fps or even a checkerboard 4k@120fps or both then I'm buying an ugly ass white ps5 and not waiting for the black edition.

Beautiful!

Rn0Ymik.jpg

Massive framerate drops and tearing, WTF Mark...

paradise_cernynijt1.gif

Great performance

This appears to only happen during some cutscenes, gameplay appears locked.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I love that the statistics show this hitting 60fps 99.6% of the time, but of course Xbox trolls pick out the most cherry picked stills to show the very minor times it drops lower.

Actually you didn't get it. It's not about the fps but the visuals of these screenshots. These are PS fans btw.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
I love that the statistics show this hitting 60fps 99.6% of the time, but of course Xbox trolls pick out the most cherry picked stills to show the very minor times it drops lower.
Only drops during cutscenes...I'm sure if they patch it even at 4k native it will run 60fps even in cutscenes....Yet right now, it's 60fps throughout in gameplay.....This is as good a result as anyone can expect without a patch....Just excellent performance...

Inviusx

Unfortunately save games from later patches dont work on the unpatched version. It will just crash the game when you try to load it.

Umbral

Is the same as some 4k modes. Witcher 3 on Xbox One X can reach native 4k if you spend time looking at the sky. Devs really prefer to call 'uncap' mode.
We might be talking past each other here. I just wanted to correct the statement that it can’t hit 60.

God of War 2018 can hit 60fps at times, but generally runs around 50-60fps on PS4 Pro in the unlocked performance mode, which runs at 1080p.

Running in quality mode, or whatever it’s called, runs at 2160p (checkerboard) but only at 30fps.

It seems if you run it unpatched on PS5, you get the best of both. 2160p/c at 60fps.

Calverz

Its a bit of a joke all this. First last guardian and now god of war. Sony should do better for their fans to make this easier. Like gow franchise on xbox. Treat your legacy better

sn0man

nope. there is no option. they had a performance mode on the pro that was 1080p 60 fps. 4k mode was and is still tied to 30 fps. unless of course you use a disc version unpatched.

nope. the PRO only runs at 60 fps in the performance mode which was only 1080p.
Thank you. I’ll probably try and pick up a cheap copy.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

cc: @Agnostic2020

What's the workaround without having to click?

Tried it with my greatest hits disc and worked like a charm. Looks amazing in 4K 60fps. Just make sure to turn off auto install of patches.

nice, just grabbed a greatest hits disc from gamestop. Going to turn off auto updates and try it out. Sucks they can’t be bothered to implement this.

SaiyanRaoh

Quick! Will this work on the Greatest hits version of the game? Is it on 1.0 from the disc? I'm at Gamestop and that is all they have.

Looks pretty darn good at v1.0, super solid 60fps. There isn’t even a resolution/performance option in the game settings, it’s just unlocked @ 4Kcb.

weirdly my Ps5 tried to download the latest update even with auto updates turned off for games/apps. I had to cancel it.

I downloaded the digital version but actually have the disc somewhere. It's annoying I'll need to delete and go off the disc. Can sony not just get their shit together and do a patch for this in like a day? I'm not buying they don't have resources to add a feature as simple as this. People can get it off the disc, you can't get away with charging for it now Sony. Fucking sort it.

SaiyanRaoh

Okay, twice now this game has auto updated to 1.34. and I made sure to disable Auto downloads and auto install in rest mode. And for good measure I also disabled the download of system updates. I turned the game on about an hour ago and found the system dowoaded and updated both GoW and Last Guardian. What's going on here?

Last edited:

AC_Eivor

Neo Member
I really wish Sony would just fork out the cash to remove the FPS limiter in a patch. it is such a simple task.

Okay, twice now this game has auto updated to 1.34. and I made sure to disable Auto downloads and auto install in rest mode. And for good measure I also disabled the download of system updates. I turned the game on about an hour ago and found the system dowoaded and updated both GoW and Last Guardian. What's going on here?
Yhe happens. Best way to deal with it when it starts downloading the patch, puase it and leave it on pause forever. Might unpuase when u start the game agian, so just pause it again. Thats how it works on ps4, not sure about ps5.

Ryu Kaiba

This is one of the things I was most excited and then disappointed with the PS5 about. Glad to see there's a work around until Sony decides to "gets around to it."
Now just need Bloodborne and The Last of Us.

Blond

Banned
I've had to start over on all my backwards compatible games on the playstation 5. It sucks that it isn't automatically downloading saves.

Sorry, not relevant to your post just venting.

what are you talking about? you can backup your PS4 games to USB and load them on your PS5 or use the cloud to download them. All my digital copies are on an external drive and and everything was basically plug and play.

nikos

Just got rid of my copy since it's on the digital collection. Thinking about buying it again since I never finished the game. Hopefully better patches are released for some of these games.

DavidGzz

what are you talking about? you can backup your PS4 games to USB and load them on your PS5 or use the cloud to download them. All my digital copies are on an external drive and and everything was basically plug and play.

I don't have my PS4 anymore and I don't have PS plus so that's what I am talking about.

Ogbert

Downloaded it last night again, looks good.

Anyone having problems with the Dual Sense controller with it? Doesn't want to work.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
What about the uncharted games? how they running on the PS5? same deal? UC4 4k/60 would be a site to behold... there definately must be more to it otherwise Sony is missing out on some seriously good gamer will by not patching these 1st party games to run 4k/60

Top Bottom