• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMG - GoW runs at 4k 60 fps (Unpatched) - VG Tech

Greggy

I have the disc and a brand new ps5. How do I play this at 4k60? Do I have to reject the update prompt if/when one pops up after I insert the disc?

Moochi

How long does it take to move from world to world on the PS5 version? That was the WORST. I loved how the game looks on PS4 Pro in 4k, but it was close to unplayable.

Codes 208

I am retarded, didn't see that sorry. That's kind of lame to be honest and lazy on Sony's part. Wonder if they will release a patch, but at this point probably too busy with GoW: Ragnarok.
It’s checkerboarded because this patch is related to the PS4 pro which had a hard time doing native 4k. GoW hasn’t gotten an official ps5 patch (yet)

ethomaz

Banned
This is the resolution mode which is originally capped at 30fps. Man, this looks better than anything shown from multiplats graphically for next gen! Sony is just so overpowered, and this is without any upgrades! The final image quality so so much better than my experience with the Pro, and it looks so clean as if it's native 4K! Actually this shows that checkerboard rendering is still relevent even now but HW wasn't powerful enough to boost it all the way to 4K to make the difference between checkerboard 4K and native 4K pretty minimal. Crazy!
It was originally uncapped.

People complained and Sony patched to add performance option and with that they capped the original vis.

That is why it only works with the game unlatched.

Day 0 1.01 Patch
  • Added settings options to favor performance (increased framerate) or favor resolution (2160p Checkerboard) when playing on a PlayStation®4 Pro system
  • To find this mode, go to the Settings menu, click Camera, and navigate to Graphics Mode
  • Added Immersive UI Mode which shows minimal HUD
  • To find this mode, go to the Settings menu and click HUD and switch HUD Mode to Immersive
  • Added 3 additional HUD Settings to toggle the Compass, Enemy Health Bars, and Enemy Off-Screen Indicators ON or OFF
  • Various other bug fixes and improvements

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
what is indeed crazy is that neither Sony nor Microsoft added framerate cap settings to every single game as a standard ever since the pro machines became a thing or even during their development.

how did neither of them have the foresight that their newer systems which will be backwards compatible could make use of such an option and greatly enhance the gameplay without any patch needed?

AND THE CRAZY THING IS developers STILL don't add such options as a standard thing! how the fuck are they still so nearsighted in this regard?

every single game that can safely run at 60fps and 120fps (meaning these framerates won't break the game logic) SHOULD have options for 30fps, 60fps and 120fps caps!
new systems will eventually release and if they're true next gen or just a mid gen refresh, these new systems should be able to run every currently released game at faster speeds!
they used to. Thats why KZ SF, Infamous and Until Dawn all run at 60 fps despite being launch window or year 1 games.

What happened here is that DF started to complain and then people started to make a big deal out of unlocked framerates and most devs just locked it. Sucker punch added a 30 fps option as well, but they had the common sense to leave the original mode in there as well.

I blame DF and framerate nerds on the internet.

I have the disc and a brand new ps5. How do I play this at 4k60? Do I have to reject the update prompt if/when one pops up after I insert the disc?
Yes.

Last edited:
The PS5 is on fire this week
pqG98tR.png

SlimySnake

I think there is a little more work due to lower level extraction layers on the closed box with APU timings, etc., compared to the PC, but... yes, they should patch in a 60FPS cap option to these games.
i think the fact that it just works without any developer input on a day one disc version shows how you dont have to worry about lower level layers of anything.

all they way to do is open up their options file and add a new setting. or update the existing one if they dont want to add a new line.

again, the PS5 GPU is already doing all the BC work by letting every single game have access to boost clocks on both the gpu and cpu. thats why the games are running at locked 60 fps so easily. all the devs have to do is get out of the way and let the game do its thing.

Reallink

Those of you with the digital version can thank your Digital Foundaries and other nitpicking Youtubers for your 30fps and 1080p caps cause all they do is produce videos complaining about fluctuations. Fuck frame rate caps, Infamous Second Son unlocked was vastly superior to the 30fps lock Digital Foundary would be beating their drum for.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

by unpatched i thought it meant without a PS5 patch... got my hopes up for nothing 😆😤

was about to go for 3rd playthrough

Dibils2k

Those of you with the digital version can thank your Digital Foundaries and other nitpicking Youtubers for your 30fps and 1080p caps cause all they do is produce videos complaining about fluctuations. Fuck frame rate caps, Infamous Second Son unlocked was vastly superior to the 30fps lock Digital Foundary would be beating their drum for.
ahm no... unlocked frames at 30-50 are atrocious. i would have hated playing like that on PS4

ethomaz

Banned
After after insert the disc you had to cancel all updates and when you run the game you need to choose to play without networks features.

On digital I don’t have ideia how it is.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
i think the fact that it just works without any developer input on a day one disc version shows how you dont have to worry about lower level layers of anything.

all they way to do is open up their options file and add a new setting. or update the existing one if they dont want to add a new line.

again, the PS5 GPU is already doing all the BC work by letting every single game have access to boost clocks on both the gpu and cpu. thats why the games are running at locked 60 fps so easily. all the devs have to do is get out of the way and let the game do its thing.

I am talking about upatching what they patched initially for the caps. I don’t think it’s as easy as just a .config edit.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm sorry? adding an option? an option almost every pc version of games already have? and THIS GAME ALSO HAS!

that's something a single person could mod into a game within less than 24h, as a fan! not a developer familiar with the game.

I think you highly overestimate how much work it is to add an fps toggle

Maybe. I'm searching for a reason, because in my mind it would seem easy too.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ask for a patch with framerate unlocked on 4k resolution mode :

Reddit – https://www.reddit.com/r/GodofWar
PlayStation – https://twitter.com/playstation
Hermen Hulst (Head of PlayStation Studios) – https://twitter.com/hermenhulst
Scott Rhode (Head of Internal Development) – https://twitter.com/rohdescott
Santa Monica – https://twitter.com/sonysantamonica
Cory Barlog (Game Director) – https://twitter.com/corybarlog
Tim (QA Lead) – https://twitter.com/Trailer_Tim
It's kinda weird Sony did not had simple "unlock 4k60" patches ready for all their first party titles

Techies

I told myself I'd look into buying Playstation 5 if I could play God of War at 60fps 4k, no hassles.
The hassle is still there, was almost a go.

Last edited:

PsyEd

I really hate this framerate cap. AC:U on disc is also full framerate and same goes for CoD:WW2 for cut-scene type sections.

Where as Killzone:SF doesn't have this junk and allows the player to cap it at 30fps...I'm replaying the game from scratch which still looks really good and very responsive.

Shmunter

It was originally uncapped.

People complained and Sony patched to add performance option and with that they capped the original vis.

That is why it only works with the game unlatched.

Day 0 1.01 Patch
  • Added settings options to favor performance (increased framerate) or favor resolution (2160p Checkerboard) when playing on a PlayStation®4 Pro system
  • To find this mode, go to the Settings menu, click Camera, and navigate to Graphics Mode
  • Added Immersive UI Mode which shows minimal HUD
  • To find this mode, go to the Settings menu and click HUD and switch HUD Mode to Immersive
  • Added 3 additional HUD Settings to toggle the Compass, Enemy Health Bars, and Enemy Off-Screen Indicators ON or OFF
  • Various other bug fixes and improvements
Bastards!

JimboJones

they used to. Thats why KZ SF, Infamous and Until Dawn all run at 60 fps despite being launch window or year 1 games.

What happened here is that DF started to complain and then people started to make a big deal out of unlocked framerates and most devs just locked it. Sucker punch added a 30 fps option as well, but they had the common sense to leave the original mode in there as well.

I blame DF and framerate nerds on the internet.

Yes.
Actually DF are all for uncapped framerates as long as it's an option as it future proofs the game for more powerful revisions of the hardware. It's not their fault the developer just put in shit options.

SlimySnake

DavidGzz

Damn. I downloaded it, I had no idea I wasn't going to be playing it at a high resolution and 60fps. That sucks.

FrankWza

thelastword

Banned
what is indeed crazy is that neither Sony nor Microsoft added framerate cap settings to every single game as a standard ever since the pro machines became a thing or even during their development.

how did neither of them have the foresight that their newer systems which will be backwards compatible could make use of such an option and greatly enhance the gameplay without any patch needed?

AND THE CRAZY THING IS developers STILL don't add such options as a standard thing! how the fuck are they still so nearsighted in this regard?

every single game that can safely run at 60fps and 120fps (meaning these framerates won't break the game logic) SHOULD have options for 30fps, 60fps and 120fps caps!
new systems will eventually release and if they're true next gen or just a mid gen refresh, these new systems should be able to run every currently released game at faster speeds!
Thing is, I have always been a proponent of unlocked framerates....I played Shadowfall unlocked, I played Infamous Second Son unlocked, I played Tomb Raider remastered unlocked.....I always prefer the higher frames over 30fps, it's better for controller response everytime, that's a fact...

DF then came up and during their faceoffs, predominantly with PS games or in multiplats, were always crying about locking this unlocked game to 30fps, it's mostly in it's 50's, lock it they say, it's in the high 40's or even mid 40's lock it they say. In pretty much every faceoff I was saying that a 30fps cap should be an option, but I remember clearly that John Linneman who was the chief person asking for capped framerates in almost every faceoff with unlocked dips, I always disagreed, because he actually wanted the dev to cap framerates and get rid of unlocked games because in his opinion how could anyone play unlocked, "the usual judder spiel" ensued.....Well many people do play unlocked just like myself, and even then, I always foresaw the benefit of having unlocked framerates when BC came into the picture, because we all knew these consoles would be BC....

The best solution in my opinion even last gen was unlocked framerates and DR resolution, that would clearly be the perfect set up for PC to come in and lock both rez and framerates on the highest scale....Yet, some people are nearsighted and don't see the bigger picture.....Funny enough, it's John Linneman asking for many BC games to get patched by devs now...... :rolleyes:

It’s checkerboarded because this patch is related to the PS4 pro which had a hard time doing native 4k. GoW hasn’t gotten an official ps5 patch (yet)

Ah okay, I guess that explains. I am not sure if at this point the resources will be worth it for a PS5 patch when they are better off developing Ragnarok. But then again, I have no clue what their priorities are.

Agreed.

I really want to know where this preference for “stability” over all else came from, despite a fluctuating 60fps target game still appearing smoother than a locked 30fps game.

Reminds me of the people who think that all types of motion blur are bad just because they’ve played some UE3 games that didn’t utilize it properly.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Will my save file still work on this unpatched version?

I've had to start over on all my backwards compatible games on the playstation 5. It sucks that it isn't automatically downloading saves.

Sorry, not relevant to your post just venting.

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: TLZ

SlimySnake

Sony should really offer patches for these big games...

If you want to charge for them, offer them for like $5 upgrade OR free with PSN Plus....
they actually did patch both tlou2 and gow a week or two before launch. gow got its first patch in two years. and they still didnt add an unlocked framerate option for their 4k mode.

absolutely bizarre. wouldnt be suprised if jimbo had something to do with this. I mean how can they spend a year porting Horizon to pc and yet cant spend a few days unlocking a 60 fps option for the resolution mode? they really dont need to do any porting. it just works.

RPS37

I've had to start over on all my backwards compatible games on the playstation 5. It sucks that it isn't automatically downloading saves.

This is seriously why I didn’t get a PS5.
I have like 6 partially finished games I’m working on.

DavidGzz

This is seriously why I didn’t get a PS5.
I have like 6 partially finished games I’m working on.

Yeah, is it true that you need to pay to have your saves in the cloud? I don't have PS+ anymore. I don't do multi-player much and especially not on PS since it's my exclusives machine.

TLZ

Banned

But why? Were they not compatible? Or did you just not download them manually?

Btw on that note, I don't know why we can't download saves when pressing the options button on a game like it is on the PS4. It's much easier and QOL that way.

Top Bottom