• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMG I JUST BOUGHT THE GAMECUBE PLATINUM METROID BUNDLE FOR $79.99!!

Bowser

How the hell did you get it for $80? That's a fucking steal!

edit:
15.gif

Mrbob

:( I knew I bought a fuck bomb... :(

One of the local stores running a promotion right now. Anywhere from coupons ranging from 5% off to 50% off a single purchase. Could be anything. I got a 20% off coupon. The ability to replay Metroid Prime is nice. Plus the Metroid Prime 2 Echoes bonus disc is pretty cool. The demo is sweet but short. Although nothing else on the disc is that much to get exciited about. Personally, I would have rather had the Zelda bonus disc as it iis much more packed than the Prime 2 Echoes disc. Know where I can find the Zelda bonus disc without spending 5000000000000000000000000 dolllars? BTW, saw the Metroid multiplayer videos on the promo disc and just have to say...WHY?!?! Waste of time I say. Put those resources into single player! Multiplayer barebones Metroid...BLAH!

Ristamar

Mrbob said:
BTW, saw the Metroid multiplayer videos on the promo disc and just have to say...WHY?!?! Waste of time I say. Put those resources into single player! Multiplayer barebones Metroid...BLAH!

A-fucking-men. Though if it turns out well, I'll happily eat crow.

Mrbob said:
Waste of time I say. Put those resources into single player! Multiplayer barebones Metroid...BLAH!

I agree. It's like Nintendo is pathetically trying to go up against Halo 2, but still without any online. I can't wait for the fanboys to start sayng that MP2 multiplayer > Halo2's (or Killzone's)

kamikaze

they put the multiplayer in because reviews bitched that there was no multiplayer mode. reviewers didn't necessarily take off points for this, but i remember several reviews that pointed out that there was no multiplayer mode.

Alcibiades

kamikaze said:
they put the multiplayer in because reviews bitched that there was no multiplayer mode. reviewers didn't necessarily take off points for this, but i remember several reviews that pointed out that there was no multiplayer mode.

which they were dumb to mention...

even Gamespot said some people might find a reason to complain about this, even though it's not even an issue

the point of the game doesn't head in that direction at all, I just hope the single player rocks, since most of my muli-player gaming is still going to be traditional favorites like SSBM and Mario Kart...

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Multiplayer was the most requested feature in a poll on Nintendo.com. Joe Average doesn't care about online.

When I win the lottery I'm going to buy every videogame outlet in America and immediately institute a zero tolerance no return policy overnight just to watch you people who buy things without knowing whether or not they want to buy them complain about it.

Speevy

Banned
So...Metroid Prime outscores Halo with just a single player mode, then the second is bad because it features more of a single player mode plus a multiplayer mode? Yeah...

AniHawk

Ristamar said:
A-fucking-men. Though if it turns out well, I'll happily eat crow.

I'll get started cooking one. Multiplayer was a major force on convincing me this game would be fun (and I thought the original MP was boring in gameplay [though it had some great music, graphics, and atmosphere]). Maybe it was that it was the first time playing a first person game with four players in YEARS, maybe it was because I kicked everyone's ass the second go, but multiplayer rocked. If you need me to go into detail (if you don't know about how it functions), I will.

Honestly, from what I played, the multiplayer in Prime 2 is pretty ass. The mode played like generic FPS multiplayer game #238. Practically nothing contained that hasn't been done already (and better) in another form. Sure you can roll around in a morph ball, but that alone doesn't make the game stand out from the rest of the FPS pack.

Thankfully the single player is going to be tops. The multiplayer pretty much screamed "this is only hear because you whiners would cry like babies if it wasn't!"

AniHawk

JasoNsider said:
Honestly, from what I played, the multiplayer in Prime 2 is pretty ass. The mode played like generic FPS multiplayer game #238. Practically nothing contained that hasn't been done already (and better) in another form. Sure you can roll around in a morph ball, but that alone doesn't make the game stand out from the rest of the FPS pack.

Bah, the fun part were the powerups. Ability to prevent people from going into morph ball (via scanning), invincibility (was great watching the guy's face next to me as his missiles bounced off my Samus), invisibility (not cloaking, invisibility), death ball mode, super missiles, etc.

Plus, the level they had going wasn't too hot, but the general gameplay I found pretty fun.

None of that stuff is very inventive though. Powerups are just a concept as old as dirt, and those contained weren't even very good. I mean, there weren't even any stealth elements with a Sniper weapon or strategic fights with limited ammo and perching spots. It was pretty much laser tag featuring "the button mash experience".

Although I still hope that they use some of that slack time to beef up the multiplayer mode. They said they were working on the final level back in May, so that should give them lots of time to polish the multiplayer aspects to respectable quality. I won't hold my breath though.

Ranger X

Wow what a thread!! Are you serious asking this?? Your jugement in life is from the GAF forum or something?????

Watch his next thread: "i feel like i want to masterbate, please tell me if i should"

ge-man

Deg said:
Little hint for people. Avoid any publication or website for opinions of a Nintendo 'multiplayer' game ;)

Why? Jason is a pretty good poster, and he backed up his opinion of Metroid's multiplayer.

Deg said:
Only in this thread. I do understand that people havent played the game to make a solid judegment but we'll see.

Sorry, but you're not making any sense. Are you saying that because I work for a publication that deals with Nintendo platforms that I can't be listened to when slamming a Nintendo game? That makes no sense at all.

Plus- I have played the game.

AniHawk

JasoNsider said:
None of that stuff is very inventive though. Powerups are just a concept as old as dirt, and those contained weren't even very good. I mean, there weren't even any stealth elements with a Sniper weapon or strategic fights with limited ammo and perching spots. It was pretty much laser tag featuring "the button mash experience".

I think one of the biggest problem rests in that the multiplayer level at E3 was really small. Perhaps there will be better designed levels on the planet which take advantage more of the light/dark situation. There weren't a ton of things to do strategically other than get shot out of a cannon into the next area or swing to another area via grappling hook.

Besides that though, I don't care if the power ups weren't inventive (though I disagree with you slightly there). They worked, and they were fun. It's not gonna be an online game where you must strategize to find the best vantage points and hideouts to boost your overall OL ranking, you'll be playing it with your buddies or at parties where the attitude's more relaxed.

Mrbob

To get back to the bonus disc for a second, I noticed many of you are trying to find codes to get ahold of this. It really isn't that great. I mean, don't get me wrong, its not a bad extra. But it doesn't come close to being as good as the Zelda Bonus disc. This is what the Metroid Prime 2: Echoes bonus disc consists of:

-Metroid History
-MP2:E Preview
-MP2: Trailer
-Metroid Art Gallary
-MP2: Echoes demo (Which isn't that long)

The main reason I bought this bundle is it included Metroid Prime. The Echoes disc is a all right add on, but it really isn't anything that great. After November when Echoes is out this disc doesn't seem as valuable. Having said that, getting a taste of the dark world gameplay in the demo is pretty cool.

The map was part of the problem, but I think it also stems from the simplistic gameplay. Why would I want to play Metroid multiplayer if I could play Halo 2 multiplayer or Timesplitters 2 multiplayer. Metroid's strength is obviously the single player so the multiplayer obviously can't stand up to games like Timesplitters (which had more time devoted to fleshing out multiplayer mechanics.)

The only hope I see is that the game is simplistic yet deep enough that masters are really challenged. If it's tight enough, it could still be suited for serious matches in tournaments.

Bowser

Mrbob said:
To get back to the bonus disc for a second, I noticed many of you are trying to find codes to get ahold of this. It really isn't that great. I mean, don't get me wrong, its not a bad extra. But it doesn't come close to being as good as the Zelda Bonus disc. This is what the Metroid Prime 2: Echoes bonus disc consists of:

-Metroid History
-MP2:E Preview
-MP2: Trailer
-Metroid Art Gallary
-MP2: Echoes demo (Which isn't that long)

The main reason I bought this bundle is it included Metroid Prime. The Echoes disc is a all right add on, but it really isn't anything that great. After November when Echoes is out this disc doesn't seem as valuable. Having said that, getting a taste of the dark world gameplay in the demo is pretty cool.

See if you can trade it in for some $$$. GameStop/EB pay a lot (relatively) for bonus discs (I got $20 for the OoT/MQ disc).

Mrbob

Bowser said:
See if you can trade it in for some $$$. GameStop/EB pay a lot (relatively) for bonus discs (I got $20 for the OoT/MQ disc).

Well I'd have to trade in Metroid Prime as well then. :/ Metroid Prime and Echoes 2 bonus disc are in the same DVD case. The box art is split. It's a special promotion box.

Bowser

Mrbob said:
Well I'd have to trade in Metroid Prime as well then. :/ Metroid Prime and Echoes 2 bonus disc are in the same DVD case. The box art is split. It's a special promotion box.

Ah, I did not know that. That sucks :/

That reminds me, I got my Metroid Prime from Target, and on the actual boxart there's a Target logo and a purple circle with something about a coupon book inside. It always annoys me that I got it from Target :/

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Gamecube haters begone! I think he got a good deal, more than enough great games on the cube to warrent buying one, especially at that price :D

AniHawk

Mrbob said:

You could give/sell it to someone on GAF who can't get the disc themselves. Would be a lot cheaper than buying/renting games for their PINS, I imagine.

Bowser

AniHawk said:
You could give/sell it to someone on GAF who can't get the disc themselves. Would be a lot cheaper than buying/renting games for their PINS, I imagine.

True, you could sell it here. I'm sure people wouldn't mind not having a box as long as you sent it in an envelope and made sure it got to them undamaged (is that a word?). I'm sure someone would be willing to pay $15-$20.

Bog

Junior Ace
JasoNsider said:
What? Did you read my posts?

JasoNsider said:
Thankfully the single player is going to be tops. The multiplayer pretty much screamed "this is only hear because you whiners would cry like babies if it wasn't!"

That's where I stopped.

Top Bottom