• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once and for all: Super Metroid vs Symphony of the Night

Which is the superior game overall?

• Total voters

BossLackey

Gold Member
There can be only one!

Which classic Metroidvania, each largely responsible for cementing the style and mechanics of one of the best genres of video games, is the superior game?

My uncle works at Nintendo, so he said this would be designated as the official poll.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
bcGtAlr.gif

Doomtrain

Easily Super Metroid, although both are top tier. I think this a more apples-to-oranges comparison than most people will admit, though. Super Metroid is a game about environmental puzzles, and SotN is an action RPG that's primarily about monster killing. They're both 2D games with interconnected worlds, but aside from that, they're incredibly different.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Over time, I've settled on Super Metroid being the better game, though these are literally my top 2 games of all time, so it's not like SOTN's far off. I think Super Metroid's world is tighter, and better woven together. The fact that you don't need teleporters is a testament to that. I also think Super Metroid does a better job conveying an atmosphere overall, though SOTN can be downright moody at times, too.

SOTN has a lot more going for it in terms of abilities/skills that you gain throughout the game, and the soundtrack is still unbelievably good. For me, the atmosphere and sharper world design of SM outweighs those things.

I'm jealous of people who haven't played either game. Both were such incredible, formative experiences.

TexMex

Both amazing, but it’s SotN.

I say this as someone with zero nostalgia for either. I beat both for the first time ever during Covid. SotN is just the better game and has aged incredibly well.

cireza

SOTN is a fun game but it never reaches the heights of Metroid, and this applies to all Igavanias. They are not really that close in terms of progression honestly, even if some elements bring them together. Metroid is about intricate level-design with tons of secret and a strong focus on finding how to progress after all, while Igavanias you are basically running through corridors and places killing things without too much thought of where to go, with a couple places you need to remember to return to later. The moment to moment progress is entirely different. You don't have inventory management in Metroid either, and cannot elaborate on how to equip yourself, this also shows that the focus is not the same at all.

Last edited:

Rran

They're pretty different, as noted.

The Igavanias aren't my favorite in general, because the level design is basic compared to both Metroid and the classic Castlevanias. You'll often have long corridors filled with damage-sponge enemies and the progression is often more focused on leveling up or getting better equipment rather than solving spatial or environmental puzzles. They do have some very nice set pieces and cool memorable sequences, but Super Metroid's got no shortage of that either.

Super Metroid's pacing is spectacular and it's got atmosphere to spare. I prefer both it and the SNES Castlevania (CV4, not Dracula X) to SotN.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
SOTN is the best Metroidvania game of all time and this will neveeeer change

tkscz

Honestly besides being Maze-likes (yes that's what I call the genre) the two aren't very comparable. I like going back to play SotN because I like trying to find all the hidden weapons and I go back to play Super Metroid to see how fast I can beat it and if I can pull off a new speed-run trick. I guess if I had to choose one though it would be Super Metroid. SotN can sometimes feel bloated when going back to play it and find everything to unlock the true ending.

I say this as someone who adores Castlevania, and has been gaming for 32 years: Super Metroid is the greatest gaming experience I had in the 90s. Symphony is incredible, both are the best of the genre, but Super Metroid edges it in terms of ingenuity and atmosphere.

I would never call Symphony anything less than a masterpiece of gaming, but Super Metroid is something more - it is a masterpiece of game DESIGN. If someone were to ask me to show an example of the medium as a whole, how it subtly educates the player in how to explore the world and uncover secrets, how the story is shown and never told to the player.

Every part of the game is made to make the player feel clever; no other game is more rewarding for going at the pace it wants the player to. Hell, even if you have the patience to watch the demo at the title screen, you are shown a secret technique to recover all your energy!

It's the little things that set SM apart. Both are incredible, both are timeless, but Super Metroid is something truly special that comes along only once in a decade.

Svejk

SOTN is an actual artistic Masterpiece of a game. Still holds more surprises than M3. Don't get me wrong, M3 is one of Nintendo's top 3 games of all time, but SOTN is literally the GOAT around the board.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
SOTN is a fantastic game and on the whole, better to pick up and play than SM because of its simpler action. It’s a hack-and-slash at heart with a great map, fantastic music, and memorable characters (say what you want about the original English dialogue, the game would be remembered a bit less fondly without it).

Super Metroid is less fun overall, but it is the better game. It’s just a work of art. There is basically no room that looks or plays the same as any other, something you can’t say about any Igavania. The music is less flashy, but it will stay with you forever. The mood and atmosphere are perfect. The map design never ceases to amaze, 30 years later. And come on, what other game manages to tell more without a single written word after the intro? SM is environmental storytelling at its finest, one of the best examples of “show, don’t tell” ever. That final battle is still one of the biggest surprises I‘ve ever had in gaming, more emotionally striking that any movie-wannabe “gaming’s Citizen Kane moment”.

ReyBrujo

So, I have never played neither but I always thought they were two different worlds because SotN added RPG elements like experience and leveling up. SotN built on top of previous Castlevania and Metroid franchises creating a new sub-genre just like Secret of Mana did with JRPG to create the Japanese action RPG. Am I wrong?

MacReady13

The 2 best “Metroidvania’s” of all time. I love them both immensely but SOTN is a top 10 greatest game of all time. Beautiful graphics. My favourite gaming soundtrack of all time. Amazing secrets. It is sublime.

Solrac

Without Super Metroid, Symphony of the Night, it would not be the way it is. So, for that reason alone, I cast my vote for Super Metroid. That being said, they are the best two Metroidvania's of all time

To this day I remember just being floored at how good SotN was when it came out even after having an earlier love fest with Metroid/Super Metroid. It's just that good.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
I have always loved Super Metroid as my #1a and #1b game of all time. When I think of how they designed the entire castle in SotN to be played upside down it is just masterful. When comparing positives you can go back and forth listing them off about each title many times over, so what I do is compare negatives and I can list more for SotN than I can for Metroid so thats why I voted Metroid.

Demigod Mac

Such a difficult choice... my #3 and #2 games of all time.
I see Super Metroid as a game where if it had any flaws, they were excised prior to release. It's the pristine filet mignon of the two.
SOTN has a lot more content but flaws were left intact. It's the a very good NY Strip Steak of the two.

Top Bottom