• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once and for all: Super Metroid vs Symphony of the Night

Which is the superior game overall?

• Total voters

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
One thing I love about Super Metroid is the fact that I can beat the game in 9 hours, or I can beat the game in 2 hours. Both feel extremely fulfilling, and it makes me really value the replayability of that game.

Side note, I recently discovered a mod that injects modern “Fusion/Zero Mission” controls into Super Metroid, and it’s a better game for it, imo. Y’all should try that out if you get the itch.

simpatico

SotN and it's not close. Super Metroid is a great game though. Symphony is easily Top 3 for me all time any genre though. It's the perfect gaming entertainment package.

Variahunter

Normies always prefer SOTN because it’s easier to play and the moment to moment gameplay is way less demanding for the player in terms of skill and thinking.

Obviously, Super Metroid has an incredible level design while SOTN is almost devoid of complexity on that matter.

Super Metroid has defined SOTN.
Truth has been spoken.

SotN there is no contest sorry, I love the first metroid and its "remake" zero mission for GBA but I never liked super metroid back in the day not really a fan of the franchise outside the mentioned games, the poll is good to know what GAF prefers, but you just have to see how many times SotN have been released over and over the years to see how popular the games is, super metroid in particular doesnt have that level of popularity but at least the metroid franchise is in good condition with new releases unlike castlevania

Last edited:
Both are classics but SoTN reigns supreme. I recently replayed it (PS4 version) and yes, it still holds up, it's still a masterpiece, it's still the greatest Metroidvania ever made 27 years after the fact with all the many games and advances in technology that have come after it, simply perfect.

Last edited:
never played super metroid.
just didnt appeal enough to little-kid-me when it first came out (super limited funds, could only buy so many games).
by the time i was ready, it was basically ps1/saturn/n64 time, and at that point no one was looking at the snes.

loved SotN.
absolutely still holds up.

will play metroid soon.
love an atmospheric game.

SotN there is no contest sorry, I love the first metroid and its "remake" zero mission for GBA but I never liked super metroid back in the day not really a fan of the franchise outside the mentioned games, the poll is good to know what GAF prefers, but you just have to see how many times SotN have been released over and over the years to see how popular the games is, super metroid in particular doesnt have that level of popularity but at least the metroid franchise is in good condition with new releases unlike castlevania
Popularity isn't an indicator of quality though. Nevermind that both games are about as popular.

To me, SotN is like LttP, the most popular of its franchise that's a bit overrated and eclipsed by later entries.

SotN needs a redesign that trims the fat and adds more shortcuts/warp rooms.

Part of the genius of Super Metroid is that it unlocked more quick pathways as you powered up.

lachesis

I pick SOTN... even though I do love Super Metroid.
I am kinda in the camp of both to be very unique titles of their own.
One is more action heavy, while the other is more RPG element heavy. Super Metroid is a great exploration game for sure - but one reason I pick SOTN is because of the traditional RPG elements that is much more fleshed out - which I find the game more like Konami's own "Knigtmare II - The Maze of Galius" or Falcom's "Dragon Slayer IV - Drasle Family (Legacy of Wizard in the west)" to some extent - both were made in 1987.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Super Metroid, by a galaxy far, the atmosphere is unmatched and all the musics are GORGEOUS starting from the awesome title screen setting the atmosphere without starting the game.

I can hear the music only by watching this marvelous GIF.
XecmheG.gif

kunonabi

Sotn loses out due to the awful difficultly curve where the game stops being at all challenging like 1/4 of the way through and its reliance on random drops.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I love them both, but I've gotta go with Symphony of the Night as the superior game.

peish

Super Metroid released in 94. SotN in 97. And Super Metroid is responsible for Metroidvania's like SotN. So Super Metroid wins by default.

this for me. Sotn is an all round refinement of metroid, running on a more powerful console, it gives a better experience

Pejo

this for me. Sotn is an all round refinement of metroid, running on a more powerful console, it gives a better experience
The poll is for 'best overall game', not 'most influential game'. If it were the latter, I would agree with you.

Varteras

Gold Member
Dunno man, but I can tell you this music has stayed with me. I still hear this shit when I'm running for my life in any game.

CashPrizes

SOTN wins pretty decisively.
SOTN has the better soundtrack, bigger map (x2), much more variety in gameplay, deeper character advancement, more utility/traversal abilities, and a ton more goofy stuff just for fun (brass knuckles, shield rod, etc).
I mean, going head to head, where does Super Metroid actually win? You can argue Metroid has the better soundtrack, it doesn't but it is worthy of debate. Graphics, story, combat, SOTN wins. I guess if you really enjoy the "platforming as a puzzle" aspect of these types of games, Metroid has a lot more areas that are purely platforming.

BlackTron

These two games need remakes or good remasters. They are both hard to play today.

These are pretty much Super Mario World grade games and are already perfect. Not everything needs to be repackaged with a redesign to ensure it can be beaten by a gaming journalist. This is a new frontier for remake/remaster begging.

Jesb

These are pretty much Super Mario World grade games and are already perfect. Not everything needs to be repackaged with a redesign to ensure it can be beaten by a gaming journalist. This is a new frontier for remake/remaster begging.
even just making them easier on the eyes would suffice. I tried sotn recently and it’s blurry on a big screen and has the black bars.

Comandr

Super Metroid is an incredible, intelligent, tight, satisfying experience.

That said, Symphony of the Night is simply a masterpiece. An amazing number of secrets to uncover, multiple endings, a whole second map with new enemies… SoTN broke the mold and changed the genre forever.

Popularity isn't an indicator of quality though. Nevermind that both games are about as popular.

this thread is asking people to vote for a game so it is about popularity

it is true popularity is not all, at least it is not important for a personal opinion, but quality is so broad as a term that becomes useless without context, what quality is there to compare? music? graphics and effect? graphics is an easy win for SOTN but unfair for a comparison, and music can come to appreciation so again this is about what most people prefer

To me, SotN is like LttP, the most popular of its franchise that's a bit overrated and eclipsed by later entries.

SotN needs a redesign that trims the fat and adds more shortcuts/warp rooms.

SotN is what it is, I personally dont want it to be changed if its not to add more content

Part of the genius of Super Metroid is that it unlocked more quick pathways as you powered up.

that is your opinion and I respect it but in my opinion if a game is a joy to traverse then the last think I will ask is more quick pathways, SotN is a game so enjoyable with its great music the design of each section of the castle that I dont want it to end so I want every minute of it, and there are so many items that is preferable to kill more enemies so maybe you get something rare to find or want to test the huge amount of weapons and their secrets and special abilities, the game gives you more new things the more time you give to it, metroid for example doesnt reward you with rare items for killing enemies and there is nowere near the same a mount of weapons with their secrets so there is no point in killing enemies or spending more time than necesary in the different sections other than refill weapons and health in fact the game rewards you for finishing it quickly, I am not saying metroid 2D games or super metroid are bad games as I said I love the first one and zero mission but they simply dont give the experience that is SotN, they are games vastly different in reality so the comparison is not really a good one

Last edited:
The poll is for 'best overall game', not 'most influential game'. If it were the latter, I would agree with you.
the "most influential game" has more chances of being considered the "best overall game" in a poll, in reality this is noting more than a popularity contest for GAF in specific , if you try the poll in a place that has some kind of bias then the result can be more predictive but still the most popular in that place will win you wont get some kind of revelation about what is better for you, it is for each person to decide wich game is better as a personal opinion

Pejo

the "most influential game" has more chances of being considered the "best overall game" in a poll, in reality this is noting more than a popularity contest for GAF in specific , if you try the poll in a place that has some kind of bias then the result can be more predictive but still the most popular in that place will win you wont get some kind of revelation about what is better for you, it is for each person to decide wich game is better as a personal opinion
Do you think Super Mario Bros is the best platformer ever made?

Pejo

Then that's exactly my point. I didn't think it was that controversial. Nothing to say you can't like Super Metroid better than SotN, but choosing it only for its influence is kinda besides the point of the poll, at least the way the poll was worded.

Top Bottom