• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once and for all: Super Metroid vs Symphony of the Night

Which is the superior game overall?

• Total voters

Hudo

Super Metroid is just more tight in its controls and overall pacing and structure. Symphony of the Night is a close second, tho.

Then that's exactly my point. I didn't think it was that controversial. Nothing to say you can't like Super Metroid better than SotN, but choosing it only for its influence is kinda besides the point of the poll, at least the way the poll was worded.
you can like whatever you want, but a poll wont dictate what is "better", it will only dictate what is more popular or in another way what most people in a group want to decide that is all, I am not against your point I am not even referring to what game is preferable, just the nature of what a poll is and gives you as I dont agree with the idea that a poll will give you which is better, for example SotN is more influential than Super Metroid so naturally it will win in a relatively unbiased group

Pejo

you can like whatever you want, but a poll wont dictate what is "better", it will only dictate what is more popular or in another way what most people in a group want to decide that is all, I am not against your point I am not even referring to what game is preferable, just the nature of what a poll is and gives you as I dont agree with the idea that a poll will give you which is better, for example SotN is more influential than Super Metroid so naturally it will win in a relatively unbiased group
That's a fair point. I really wasn't trying to get antagonistic about it, apologies if it came across that way.

I just took the question in the frame of: You're put in a room with 2 controllers hooked up to 2 TVs and no knowledge of either game or what came first/who made what, and given a month to play both of them. Which game is better (to you)? But you are right in that it's impossible to remove yourself from bias, especially when talking about personal likes and dislikes.

Anyways, here's Alucard summoning a cow:
HFAuMCq.gif

this thread is asking people to vote for a game so it is about popularity

it is true popularity is not all, at least it is not important for a personal opinion, but quality is so broad as a term that becomes useless without context, what quality is there to compare? music? graphics and effect? graphics is an easy win for SOTN but unfair for a comparison, and music can come to appreciation so again this is about what most people prefer

SotN is what it is, I personally dont want it to be changed if its not to add more content

that is your opinion and I respect it but in my opinion if a game is a joy to traverse then the last think I will ask is more quick pathways, SotN is a game so enjoyable with its great music the design of each section of the castle that I dont want it to end so I want every minute of it, and there are so many items that is preferable to kill more enemies so maybe you get something rare to find or want to test the huge amount of weapons and their secrets and special abilities, the game gives you more new things the more time you give to it, metroid for example doesnt reward you with rare items for killing enemies and there is nowere near the same a mount of weapons with their secrets so there is no point in killing enemies or spending more time than necesary in the different sections other than refill weapons and health in fact the game rewards you for finishing it quickly, I am not saying metroid 2D games or super metroid are bad games as I said I love the first one and zero mission but they simply dont give the experience that is SotN, they are games vastly different in reality so the comparison is not really a good one

Item drops aren't strictly necessary to the Metroidvania experience.

Also, my problem with SotN is the hallways/shafts/stairways/etc. that act as connective tissue and little more.

Aria and Dawn of Sorrow did away with those, added more warp points to hasten travel, and were less monotonous for it.

SOTN wins pretty decisively.
SOTN has the better soundtrack, bigger map (x2), much more variety in gameplay, deeper character advancement, more utility/traversal abilities, and a ton more goofy stuff just for fun (brass knuckles, shield rod, etc).
I mean, going head to head, where does Super Metroid actually win? You can argue Metroid has the better soundtrack, it doesn't but it is worthy of debate. Graphics, story, combat, SOTN wins. I guess if you really enjoy the "platforming as a puzzle" aspect of these types of games, Metroid has a lot more areas that are purely platforming.

There's something to be said for more compact, yet smarter design. Super Metroid wins there.

Here's how Super Metroid gates its progression:

Here's Symphony of the Night by comparison:

The video there reminded me of Alucard's troublesome propensity for getting knocked around like a ragdoll when struck by multiple enemies.

Besides, If I want the RPG stuff, I'll go with the Sorrows.

Item drops aren't strictly necessary to the Metroidvania experience.

I dont really care if its strictly necessary to be included on a category(any game is free to introduce new things), I said its a distinction that SotN has that Super Metroid lacks that I prefer, similar to how you prefer more shortcuts in the scene

Top Bottom