• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once-hyped games that are now completely forgotten

Dunkley

lyfjDnE.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Everything I've wanted to post has been posted, but I vaguely remember people being excited about the meta-commentary this game had on video game tropes:

Eat_Lead.jpg

It wasn't hyped to the end of time and back, but I remember there being a good amount of interest in it that didn't seem to exist after release.

Also, for all the fuss people made about Operation Rainfall, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower have gone largely forgotten, while Xenoblade retains all the attention it was getting before its release.

Although people are treating it as a joke, I would say Titanfall. I don't know a single person who still plays it. Despite being one of the most hyped games of all time.

I'll also add Pikmin 3.

Jigorath

Banned
Although people are treating it as a joke, I would say Titanfall. I don't know a single person who still plays it. Despite being one of the most hyped games of all time.

I'll also add Pikmin 3.

While Titanfall was overhyped I wouldn't say it's been completely forgotten.

OT: I'll go with Spore. I remember when that was supposed to be the next evolution in gaming.

Oh yes the game that started the mentally challenged "Green Eyes" bullshit. The hype for project needlemouse was so high that people lost their own damn minds. I myself distanced from the fanbase after that, I keep buying the games but I'm quit every Sonic forum I used to participate.

BibiMaghoo

Mercenaries_2_cover_art.jpg

Can't think of a more deserving game, for the ''threw all the potential it had down the toilet THEN shat on top of it'' award.

So this.

cantona222

Anyone remember State of Emergency? It was supposed to be GTA on steroids with tons of over the top action and dozens of on-screen pedestrians.

Turned out to be a shitty beat-em-up that would've been embarrassing even on PS1. Rockstar's sure turned it around as far as consistency goes :p

I enjoyed the game though.

Risible

"Brutal Legend...this demo is hype as shit! I can't wait for this third person action game to be released!"

Biggest bait and switch demo EVER.

RexNovis

Banned
This dates me so hard but I'm gonna go with Ehrgeiz. It was advertised everywhere and all my friends were super hyped for it. A fighting game with Final Fantasy characters?!? Who doesn't get pumped for that??

When it finally came out everyone came over to play it at my place and it was so terrible we ended up just playing Goldeneye instead. So bad. So so bad.

ehrgeiz.jpg

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Mercenaries_2_cover_art.jpg

Can't think of a more deserving game, for the ''threw all the potential it had down the toilet THEN shat on top of it'' award.

So this.

I loved Mercenaries 2 :( Still one of my favourite games for destruction, loved the shit out of it.

My pick would be the awesome Freedom Fighters by I/O Interactive. Noone talks about that game anymore. (I'm pretty certain it was hyped/previewed to an extent before release too)

Finally a game I don't know. Was it really hyped a lot ?

An "AAA'' first person shooter game for the Wii, by an developer with no publisher. They had their own graphic engine and everything.

It the all the ingredients for a GAF darling, indie cred, AAA status, it's all about the games Etc...

Worst part was people fooling themselves thinking the game looked better than Gears of War. In the end SEGA picked the game up and it was alright, the graphics where ass and it got a sequel.

EctoPrime

The hype N64 magazine had for Hybrid Heaven was crazy. The game went from being survival horror to something that seemed to be designed by a comitee. No other way can describe how the game ended up as a cinematic third person action game with turn based rpg battles. Plus Nintendo probably saw MGS and demanded the game be more like that which is probably why a Metal Gear knockoff robot just shows up.

The Titanfall mentions are hysterical. The game wasn't that good, and I did stop playing it, but from what I've seen on here and else where it's still rather popular.

As for Watch Dogs, it's successful and I'm hoping for an Assassin's Creed like much better sequel when that inevitably comes out. The hype, release, sales and word of mouth is almost identical to what AC's first installment went through. So I'm hoping for the best out of the franchise despite this mediocre game with fake Batman and C-grade Lisbeth Salandar.

Luigi87

Ctv9uwb.jpg

This game was getting several magazine covers, and I was completely into the hype. It seemed like such a great idea for a game, then it turned out to not really be what anyone expected.... and then the studio made Evil Genius and closed down. :(

This is the only game I have ever sold back in my life. Bought for $50, got back $10 only a couple weeks later...
... Put that $10 towards Jedi Academy.

I can think of Blinx for the Xbox, was hyped to become the Mario / Crash Bandicoot of Microsoft. However that game ended up gaining very little traction and they quickly scrapped him as a potential mascot.
It had a sequel, but that also went completely under the radar.

RIP in peace brave cat.

Blinx_120.jpg

Apart from the second game being a little too off the mark and playing as the pigs was not as fun as time sweeping, I love Blinx and I want to see another game with him in.

At the time Blinx on the xbox looked amaizing and was top end in terms of visuals that year.

noquarter

Have to agree with Rise of the Robots, first game I thought of as well.

Another game that had quite a bit of hype:
. This game was hyped, since it was around the time Bruce Willis was really popular (Pulp Fiction, 5th Element, 12 Monkeys). Didn't really hear anything about it after it came out.

J0dy77

220px-Daikatanabox.jpg

This game was hyped like no other when Romero left id software way back when. Huge budget for the time and the game was a total flop.

Murdered: Soul Suspect

Everyone seemed to be effusing about it at E3 last year. Then everyone forgot about it. Including Squenix.

This dates me so hard but I'm gonna go with Ehrgeiz. It was advertised everywhere and all my friends were super hyped for it. A fighting game with Final Fantasy characters?!? Who doesn't get pumped for that??

When it finally came out everyone came over to play it at my place and it was so terrible we ended up just playing Goldeneye instead. So bad. So so bad.

ehrgeiz.jpg

GOD BLESS THE RING

Martian

Far Cry 2. I remember being so hyped about it, but when it came out it felt kind of meh.

And at least for me GTA4: I was so stoked to getting that game, but when it arrived it felt way too dark. Quit it after about 10 missions. Still my only GTA game that I have not finished. My copy is gathering dust in some dark corner

Rival

Gold Member
Darkwatch.jpg

I still remember the insane amount of hype this game got and the full-stories devoted to it in Gaming Mags (much of it due to the fact that one of the girls in the game would be appearing in playboy).

Its apparently so forgotten now that the LttP thread I made it about barely got any responses.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=840404&highlight=

This is the game I immediately thought of when I saw this thread. The hype on this game was over the top and it definitely did not deliver.

lazygecko

I like to read through old gaming magazines for this kind of stuff. You see lots of games that you wouldn't even remember otherwise.

Top Bottom