• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is straight up timeless and amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew.

Banned
one-flew-over-2.jpg

Just watched it for about the 20th time last night since being introduced to it in English class in high school. This is basically filmmaking perfection to me, or at least as close as it comes. Nicholson is masterful, Fletcher is hypnotically aggravating on the mind and of course you get classic debuts from DeVito and Chris Lloyd.

This movie basically doesn't age to me, and I feel that it's because of the humanistic qualities (stubborness, pride, courage, willpower) that director Milos Forman so perfectly captured that keeps it timeless.

OneFlewFredericksonSefeltTa.jpg

one_flew_over_the_cuckoos_nest-1160.JPG

OneFlewCheswick.jpg

Cuckoo+Nest-06.jpg

One-Flew-Over-the-Cuckoos-Nest.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

OneFlewRatched1.jpg

bilde

Andrew.

Banned
"Are you familiar with the term: 'A rolling stone gathers no moss'?"

"Yeah. It's the same as...'Don't wash your dirty laundry in public."

"I'm not sure I understand."

"I'm smarter than him, ain't I?"

*doctor nods*

barrbarr

I read the book almost ten years ago now. I loved it so much. I eventually started the film, and I couldn't finish it. It just felt wrong, this is one of the times where I wish I had seen the film before reading the book.

Andrew.

Banned
Ratched is such a stone-cold cunt.

Phenomenal character, and without a doubt one of the best cinematic villains ever.

That strangulation part reminds me of the original Total Recall with the eyes about to pop out of the head.

Does anyone know if Nicholson actually got electro shocked during the treatment scene? Its always chilling to watch that happen and his reaction looks as though he actually went through with it.

XNarte

One of my top 5 movies of all time. One of those films that I can watch any singular scene and enjoy immensely.

The book is amazing too.

Wallach

One of the best, and one of the few movies that is easy for me to sit and watch in full anytime. Come to think of it, I haven't seen it in a while...

Wouldn't have happened were it not for McMurphy's shenanigans.

She should have been a professional, and realized that he shouldn't even be in that facility. Just report the activity to her superiors, and have him moved back to prison or whatever. Instead, she takes it personally and causes the death of her patient.

I think one of the points of the movie is that there really was no place for a guy like McMurphy in society. He wanna be freeee

Andrew.

Banned
I think one of the points of the movie is that there really was no place for a guy like McMurphy in society. He wanna be freeee

Well there's a place for him of course, just not a mental facility. I mean the guy is a violent, statutory rapist.

Andrew.

Banned
One of the best movies of all time, imo. I will always love that fishing scene.

Introducing all the guys as "Dr. so and so" and when he gets to Harding he's simply "Mr. Harding."

lol

"Play the game, Harding."

3208695673_53ea9d5b8d.jpg

I also love Harding's small monologue about his wife in the beginning and then having to explain it to Taber and his little buddy (peee-culiar!)

"Not illusions. Allusions"

Introducing all the guys as "Dr. so and so" and when he gets to Harding he's simply "Mr. Harding."

lol

"Play the game, Harding."

3208695673_53ea9d5b8d.jpg

I also love Harding's small monologue about his wife in the beginning and then having to explain it to Taber and his little buddy (peee-culiar!)

"Not illusions. Allusions"

Haha, Harding was a good character. RIP Mr. Redfield.

Xdrive05

This movie has had some great homages too. I'm thinking of the dishwasher episode of Spaced and that one episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia where they brought back the grandson of the tall Native American character to play the same role.

Great movie, but it won Best Picture over Jaws(aka the greatest movie of all-time), and I always irrationally hold that against it

Wallach

I had to sit and watch this again after posting. Fuck, everyone is so good in this movie. DeVito in particular really gets me, his grin is totally infectious throughout the whole thing.

Andrew.

Banned
I had to sit and watch this again after posting. Fuck, everyone is so good in this movie. DeVito in particular really gets me, his grin is totally infectious throughout the whole thing.

I love it when RP soaks everyone with the sink faucet and when Devito is getting splashed he spits out a couple dice (or Monopoly houses)

This movie has had some great homages too. I'm thinking of the dishwasher episode of Spaced and that one episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia where they brought back the grandson of the tall Native American character to play the same role.

Son not grandson.

I think he was touring in the UK doing the play when they got him in Spaced.

rjc571

Banned
The next woman that takes me on is going to light up like a pinball machine and pay off in silver dollars!

I love the nurses reaction to that line, how Ratched couldn't help herself from laughing while the younger prettier nurse had a sort of disgusted/horrified look on her face.

glow

Banned
Seriously? The whole movie was a critique of mental institutions that used to exist in the US. They were awful.

Oh they still are. Check out practically any public mental hospital and you'll see. The only difference is now they don't force ECT on patients, they just dope them up with Thorazine until they're zombies or sleeping 20 hrs a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom