• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One of the Tough Enough contestants came close to hurting Kurt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I dont know if yall watched last night, but they had this deal where Kurt wrestled one of the TE guys just basic mat wrestling, then Kurt asked if anyone else wanted to step in the ring with him.. Daniel Puder with some UFC background volunteered and they went at it..

Evidently at one point had Kurt in some sort of move called the Kimura that hurts like hell and can easily injure someone.. supposedly people who saw it live said that the match was cut down alot and made Kurt look better than he actually did. Kurt did get out of the move and pin him, but the pin was rushed as hell and Puders shoulders werent actually down. In his prime Im sure Kurt would have made short work of the guy, hopefully the fans dont vote for the Mizz because he was on the Real World.. Puder seems like he could actually work out.

Boogie

Saw a .gif of the kimura, it was locked in tight, though Puder only had half-guard, Angle seemed in big trouble. His shoulder would have been seriously messed up if the ref didn't count him out.

Boogie

angleowned.gif

BJJ >>>> Pro Wrestling

please don't ban me, Bish

StoOgE

Im almost completely unfamiliar with MMA fighting.. what exactly does the move do and how close did Kurt come to getting hurt..?

NLB2

Banned
OK, sit up in your chair with your back strait and away from the rest. Now put one hand in the middle of your back and move it towards your kneck. If somebody else was doing that to you, it would be a kimura.
I have not seen the fight the original poster was talking about, but this is a kamura from the half guard.
half_guard_kimura.jpg

StoOgE

Ok so when Kurt is "pinning" him at the end of that clip, the other guy is actually working his shoulder.

NLB2

Banned
Oh, that was the fight you were talking about? The guy on top definitely lost that fight. I had assumed the tapping was due to the kimura, not the pinning. The guy on top was soundly beaten.

Boogie

NLB2 said:
Oh, that was the fight you were talking about? The guy on top definitely lost that fight. I had assumed the tapping was due to the kimura, not the pinning. The guy on top was soundly beaten.

Yeah, but it's pro-wrestling, and Angle is a star, so the WWE doesn't want him losing to some nobody, that's why the refs were so quick to jump in with the pinfall count.

StoOgE

yeah, afterwords Kurt and Puder talked for what seemed like 15-20 seconds.. Puder tried to shake his hand and Kurt looked genuinely pissed at what happened.. spit flying out of his mouth and everything. I didnt know what the hell happened at the end, I just knew it took Kurt forever to get the guy on the mat.. Im guessing Kurt was mad the guy was actually hurting him in a WWE match.

NLB2

Banned
A little bit of info on the Kimura:
The technique recieved this name in Gracie Jiu Jitsu because Masahiko Kimura, a Japanese judoka touring Brazil with an open challenge to anyone good enough to beat one of his top students, used it to submit Helio Gracie. Yeah, there you go if you cared.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
How surreal was it so see actual wrestling on the WWE? LOL at the refs, they were probably shitting their pants.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Dave Meltzer wrote about it on his site.

Here is Dave's report:

The Kurt Angle-Daniel Puder deal from last night's Smackdown is really interesting. On MMA message boards, this has turned into the biggest story in a long time, and the funny part is, many MMA board people don't get the big picture at all and hate pro wrestling. I've seen some talk on pro wrestling boards, but while I've gotten tons of phone calls about it, I've gotten almost no e-mails about it, so I don't think many fans watching saw what really happened. Just to answer a few questions on it. It was real. If you don't follow fighting, Puder had Angle locked in the Kimura, or keylock as Tazz called it, although Tazz didn't let on the move was fully executed. Not only was Angle not getting out of the move, but most MMA fighters would have tapped already. Angle couldn't tap for obvious reasons. The ref counted a three even though Puder's shoulders weren't fully down, trying to end the thing, because the reality was Angle would have been in surgery had it gone a few seconds longer or had Puder not given up the hold. My impression is, since this was a taped show, that nobody in enough power in the company actually understood what happened and let it air, and figured most would see it as a pinfall in 40 seconds. And they were 98% correct, between the commentary and the pinfall, that is how most saw it. It was only when it was all over MMA boards last night that "unknown shootfighter really beats Kurt Angle" and was the hottest topic all night, that they took the footage of it off their web site, and replaced it with copy that said, "Angle mauled Nawrocki, before taking volunteers, next pinning Daniel Puder in a slightly tougher, but still relatively easy match." This is when you know a company is doomed. When God hands them an angle that would get people talking like nothing they've been able to create on their own, given them the potential for legit water cooler talk had they played it right, and they are so blind they go in the opposite direction. Tazz called it like, "well, so much for the UFC." Yeah, and so much for The Invasion angle as well.

StoOgE

Im kinda torn on that.. yeah it could be an intresting angle.. but seriously, I think some unknown showning up and beating one of the top guys in the WWE would hurt the brand alot.. especially considering everyone knows its a real match and not staged..

I figure one of two things will happen next week.. they will show the footage again and have Puder call out Angle for it, and Puder will win this thing, or they will rig the voting and Puder will be gone never to be seen from again.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
I think Puder's already got this thing in the bag actually. I mean, did you hear those "U-F-C" chants?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm not sure, but angle could have powered out by creating a REAL pin by hooking puder's leg with his free arm. It would have been a long shot, though. I guess we'll never know, now.

NLB2

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
I'm not sure, but angle could have powered out by creating a REAL pin by hooking puder's leg with his free arm. It would have been a long shot, though. I guess we'll never know, now.
No he could not have. If the fight went any longer Angle would have had a torn rotator cuff.

Romaji

Was it a planned/scheduled match, or was it all a shoot?

Still, going into a match with the intention to cripple is pretty weak. I'm sure he could've made a more positive impression had he just put the hold on without any serious pressure applied.

Hollywood

Banned
I love hearing stuff like that, because the biggest thing in wrestling is watching Vince put up his 'superstar' guard like WWE guys are superhuman or something - when in real life they would get their ass kicked by about anyone with MMA experience. Thing I hate about Tough Enough is WWE putting up this big 'we're macho' guard as usual .. we're superstars your not .. and so on. It gets old. It's like they don't even treat it like a sport anymore is what I hate .. which makes every match seem unimportant. Its wrestling damnit, not sports entertainment. Concentrate on classic matches instead of gay storys.

LakeEarth

Always love it when I hear the smaller guy taking on the larger guy. Jericho and Goldburg get into a scuffle and Goldberg gets his ass handed to him. Good times.

Agent X

That's the great thing about Tough Enough (particuarly this version, where it takes place in the middle of Smackdown), that you get to see these young newcomers just as they really are. If someone like Dan Puder could put a hurtin' on Kurt Angle, then that's just what people need to see.

I bet Vince was probably grinning ear to ear after that segment--the crowd has generally been apathetic toward the Tough Enough segments, but they really woke up when Puder and Angle were having their "match." Now more people will tune in to see what happens next.

pilonv1

StoOgE said:
or they will rig the voting and Puder will be gone never to be seen from again.

They won't rig the voting. But as they did with the Diva search and Taboo Tuesday they will let you know who they want voted out. It will be interesting to see how Puder is treated after nearly sidelining one of their stars.

Takuan

I was flipping through channels that night and caught Smackdown just in time to see Kurt pin the guy. I remember thinking Kurt looked genuinely pissed and wondering why he needed to chew that guy out for so long. Now I know, heh. Guess wrestling isn't all rigged, eh? :)

http://wtya.com/anglewrestles.wmv

Full vid.

I think this is great, actually. Angle seems like a jerk. That guillotine had to hurt like a bitch he put on the first kid, I remember Angle was known for making people go to sleep with just headlocks. That's how strong he was in his prime. Glad he got locked...stacking the deck and he still couldn't get the job done. Powerful guy though, passed his prime or not. He snapped Puder right down with what looks like an arm drag or head control. Puder did pretty good standing I thought, considering he's against Kurt Angle. He manipulated Kurts arm early on in the clinch. That should've been the first sign to Kurt that this was something different then going against these untrained kids.

Puder had that lock too...really nice. Kurts reacts once that arm goes up. Youch.

This reminds me of old wrestling when guys like Lebell or Thesz would take on 20 guys ina row from the audience and submit them one after the other. They tried to do sort of the same thing with the tough enough crew, and really tried to stack it by making them exhausted and using a Gold medalist like Kurt. Guess he's not a Thesz or Lebell though.

gotta remember Kurt is really banged up. Anyways as an entertainer/prowrestler he is still one of the best. Remember his match with Brock? or all his matches with Benoit?

Kenobi

There is no doubt that the man, Kurt Angle, can wrestle, but seeing something like this is actually cool...it might keep his ego in check, or anyone else in that matter. I just wish something like this happend to HHH though.

Shinobi

FortNinety said:
WWE is for stupid for letting "people off the streets" in the ring and not expecting something like this to happen.

Exactly...we've seen this stuff before when they do shoots and try to stack the deck for their chosen tough guy to look good. Dr Steve "Death" Williams vs Bart Gunn was a classic lesson that should've been learned. Guess it wasn't.

Shinobi said:
Exactly...we've seen this stuff before when they do shoots and try to stack the deck for their chosen tough guy to look good. Dr Steve "Death" Williams vs Bart Gunn was a classic lesson that should've been learned. Guess it wasn't.

I remember that. What a disaster for the then WWF. Yet it made for some interesting TV, which is something they really need.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
This thread confuses me. So erm, these people can actually wrestle? When you guys say wrestle, you mean like sport wrestle, like olympics and erm college wrestling?

I used to follow the WWE, but haven't for like a year and a half.

I used to like Kurt though.

EDIT - and what does mma stand for?

Boogie

Great King Bowser said:
This thread confuses me. So erm, these people can actually wrestle? When you guys say wrestle, you mean like sport wrestle, like olympics and erm college wrestling?

I used to follow the WWE, but haven't for like a year and a half.

I used to like Kurt though.

EDIT - and what does mma stand for?

Kurt Angle was an Olympic gold medallist. So, uh, yeah, he can really wrestle.

MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts, the greatest sport in the world. Basically, it is a limited-rules combat sport combining boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, Jiu-jitsu, and judo. Search for any threads created by me about UFC, or Pride for discussions about MMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom