• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Anime Remake by Wit Studio Announced

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
One Piece is getting the DBZ Kai treatment before it's even ended. 😂😂

Makes sense because modern audiences will have zero patience for the lack of animation in Toei's One Piece. It's a Sakugafest now but back in the day? Hell naw.

Wait, so the whole anime gets remade? It's painful to watch at the moment, lol. So much reused stuff, so many reused scenes over and over, filler...
I stopped watching for a couple years and just yesterday caught up.
Might rewatch when this happens.

Doom85

Robert Redford Yes GIF by GritTV

Madonis

This is a an excellent idea, but I imagine they will have to take breaks between seasons and Netflix may or may not decide to continue funding it depending on the numbers.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Wait, so the whole anime gets remade? It's painful to watch at the moment, lol. So much reused stuff, so many reused scenes over and over, filler...
I stopped watching for a couple years and just yesterday caught up.
Might rewatch when this happens.
I'm pretty stoked. Some of the new stuff seems hype though

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I am enjoying the Netflix show.

Would like to check out the anime.

Google onepace.

It's the anime without filler. Some arcs are unfinished though so you'll have to end in the manga or the official anime for that.

As someone who started on onepace and now I am forced to slug through either the anime or the wait for the chapters, onepace was bliss.

Urban

OP Anime before HD and in 4:3 was soo good!
Once they got HP and 16:9 the quality really dipped to the bottom of the sea

K' Dash

I made it to the end of the crocodile arc like 6 years ago and just couldn’t continue, the amounts of filler is just ridiculous.

Hardensoul

I made it to the end of the crocodile arc like 6 years ago and just couldn’t continue, the amounts of filler is just ridiculous.
It’s not just fillers, each episode are extended to include unnecessary flashbacks(some to just earlier I. The arc or couple episodes back). This was happening a lot start in Dressrosa to Wano.

I noticed the extents of the anime had to do to not get close to Manga. After One Piece live action, I rewatch the anime series all 1000 to current. After Dressrosa almost every episode dragged.

Codes 208

One Piece is getting the DBZ Kai treatment before it's even ended. 😂😂

Makes sense because modern audiences will have zero patience for the lack of animation in Toei's One Piece. It's a Sakugafest now but back in the day? Hell naw.
More like the FMA brotherhood treatment, sounds like this being done from scratch rather than piecing together existing bits like what kai did.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Let's be honest, one piece the anime is unwatchable. So a remake could actually pull some people in.
It's trash. I went to reading the manga after attempting the anime and it's sooooo much better. If this new anime can better represent the manga then I'm all for it.

Delphisage

Can't you just redo the arcs that were hurt worst by the pacing or excessive wastes of time like Skypeia? Going from the very start is pointless when not only is East Blue functional, but it's also been remade a number of times with recap specials.

Last edited:

Kurotri

Folks who always said "but it's 1000+ episodes no way am I gonna ever watch this"?
Yeah, it's showtime for ya. I'm 100% sure that Wit will deliver.

Hardensoul

It's trash. I went to reading the manga after attempting the anime and it's sooooo much better. If this new anime can better represent the manga then I'm all for it.
Calling One Piece anime trash is a little harsh. But I agree the manga is best way to enjoy One Piece. In my initial watch I dropped anime at Dressrosa due to the pacing. Became mainly manga reader.

Hardensoul

We has some good fights before Wano.....

Not talking about fights, more of the animation quality. I love the major fights in One Piece. But the quality of animation has not been consistent.

Like I said I disagree with the take that One Piece anime is trash. Anime is good but story make it’s great! IMO It’s why I’ve stuck with One Piece since almost the beginning!

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
YEEEEES the pacing can be fixed! Hopefully they get a good voice cast for English. I love the Funi cast for the most part in the dub especially Boa and Robin and early Sengoku before he died

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
YEEEEES the pacing can be fixed! Hopefully they get a good voice cast for English. I love the Funi cast for the most part in the dub especially Boa and Robin and early Sengoku before he died
I can imagine watching One Piece other than Japanese voice, the voices are too iconic and fits characters too well.

Raonak

Banned
This is a great move!

I knew one piece would one day get remade with fast pacing and better animation.

I just never expected it to happen while the original series is ongoing LOL.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I can imagine watching One Piece other than Japanese voice, the voices are too iconic and fits characters too well.
I watched 30 of each at the start to see if the dub was good. Liked it but when i was catching up the dub was only done with fishman island. So then I watched a couple hundred in Japanese and got used to it and watched the dub catching up for a few hundred now

Yoboman

Cool, I guess. So, what, around 250 episodes?
Probably about that or slightly more will be needed

Currently it's adapted 1 or less than 1 chapter and episode, which is very poor pacing. Most anime are 3 or more chapters per episode

I think they could do the 11 sagas as seasons, maybe 25 episodes each season

Yoboman

Your quote is the smartest choice. The dumbest choice would be to also reanimate the filler. If that happens we have solved nothing.
OP has never had a filler problem. It's always had a problem with terrible pacing and direction

There are a bunch of really well made episodes in Wano that show what the series should have been doing to start with

Dice

Calling One Piece anime trash is a little harsh. But I agree the manga is best way to enjoy One Piece. In my initial watch I dropped anime at Dressrosa due to the pacing. Became mainly manga reader.
It should be noted i only got like 60 or so episodes in. I have seen some clips from Wano that were spectacular animation-wise so it probably grew into something competent.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
It should be noted i only got like 60 or so episodes in. I have seen some clips from Wano that were spectacular animation-wise so it probably grew into something competent.
The animation in clips is fine. Even during fights though they make everything go so damn slow

Hardensoul

I see, the art style early on wasn’t something to get people into! It took me awhile to get use to. But what kept my going was that story and overall world building was great!

The art style kept evolving and animation got better! Even the story got better! I thought Water 7 was peak and then Impel Down/Marineford/Dressrosa/Whole Cake/Wano.

The world is so diverse!! Oda!!!

Dice

I see, the art style early on wasn’t something to get people into! It took me awhile to get use to. But what kept my going was that story and overall world building was great!

The art style kept evolving and animation got better! Even the story got better! I thought Water 7 was peak and then Impel Down/Marineford/Dressrosa/Whole Cake/Wano.

The world is so diverse!! Oda!!!
From what I've seen the unique art style looks much better in manga form. I don't know if it's from subtle touches by Oda or dropped complexity in other places or what, but there is more personality and range of expression in the manga which is interesting since there are all those frames to work with in animation. Something like JJK I think adds depth and range of feeling over the manga but in One Piece it washes over everything into a singular tone for the episode. Just one example is how much more menacing Buggy is in the manga. In the anime he comes on like a Pokemon character or something, fully lacking the gravitas and darkness.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah, in between episodes and episodes of minimum-effort animation and storyboarding.

You could claim Dressrosa was animated well by showing the Gear 4 debut episode and nothing else.
But One Piece over 1000 episode long with not that many breaks, you cant expect to consistently hit that quality in every episode......Wano arc came very close, most episode looked great.

Edit: Also I LOVE this OP sooooooo much!

Last edited:
Top Bottom