• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Anime Remake by Wit Studio Announced

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
More like the FMA brotherhood treatment, sounds like this being done from scratch rather than piecing together existing bits like what kai did.
More like both but not quite. There's nothing to really change much with the original anime aside from adding a few scenes, removing all the filler and fixing the pacing. Story is still gonna be 1:1.

EDIT: Also claiming that I coined the term "WIT PIECE" earlier today when out with a friend.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

From what I've seen the unique art style looks much better in manga form. I don't know if it's from subtle touches by Oda or dropped complexity in other places or what, but there is more personality and range of expression in the manga which is interesting since there are all those frames to work with in animation. Something like JJK I think adds depth and range of feeling over the manga but in One Piece it washes over everything into a singular tone for the episode. Just one example is how much more menacing Buggy is in the manga. In the anime he comes on like a Pokemon character or something, fully lacking the gravitas and darkness.
Blame Toei Animation for the early animations. Oda didn’t have much say early on and Toei took some liberties with some animations and characters. Not until later when One piece has gotten so big that Oda had more input in how animations are interpreted.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Then maybe they should not be a 1000+ episode long forever-runner.
One Piece long running series and I personally take what One Piece does over other shows like Hero Academia which takes loooooong breaks over each arc.

Yoboman

Yeah, in between episodes and episodes of minimum-effort animation and storyboarding.

You could claim Dressrosa was animated well by showing the Gear 4 debut episode and nothing else.
We've seen what One Piece can be with creative vision and story boarding

A lot of One Piece anime can only be described as wasting amazing source material

I dont want to pretend everything Toei does is bad though. The music, voice acting is always top notch and a lot of.love goes into it even if they are forced to pace it poorly

Doom85

One Piece long running series and I personally take what One Piece does over other shows like Hero Academia which takes loooooong breaks over each arc.

Hard disagree, especially as the One Piece anime started incorporating a lot of filler within its canon episodes meaning one was even forced to watch filler and couldn’t just skip a bunch of episodes like what I did with the 80 filler episode trash that followed the Sasuke Retrieval arc in Naruto.

Modern anime no longer need stupid filler or padding, they just adapt the manga as is. Honestly, Black Clover got done dirty by having it be a long runner anime instead of released in cours, yes it could look good at times, but the less consistent animation and padding and filler clearly turned off some people who didn’t give it as much of a chance because the adaptation style was outdated. Well, that and Asta’s Japanese voice murdering 99.9% of people’s earbuds who watched it (I know he got better eventually, but it was funny at the start seeing sub elitists begrudgingly admit the English dub was the better option in this case).

Plus, releasing in cours allows the animation to be far better. Like, OP’s fights can look good, but Demon Slayer, Chainsaw Man, Jujutsu Kaisen, Attack on Titan, etc. not only are generally better in fight animation, but just better animation in general.

Proper patience leads to far better rewards. There’s no doubt Studio Wit will make better animation than even current OP episodes. The only issue is if they’ll stick with it, after leaving Attack on Titan and Vinland Saga for MAPPA to continue, I’m skeptical if they’re committed to seeing OP all the way through (but if they’re not, don’t let MAPPA pick it up! That’s not a knock on MAPPA’s quality, but rather they don’t need to pick up any other big series they haven’t already started, their employees need a break. Chainsaw Man, Jujutsu Kaisen, Hell’s Paradise, and Zombieland Saga are more than enough right now, thankfully they’ve concluded Attack on Titan so at least that’s a load off their backs.)

lachesis

I gave up manga after the summit war arc. I just find Oda's style became harder to follow. So much going on in one screen that everyone talks at the same time, very small details and all.
I'm sure many people find it very appealing - but each episode felt like I'm trying to find Waldo. In most cases, anime version tends to make things easier to understand for normal folks - so I am contemplating to watch the Anime version from the start, at 1.5x to 2x speed....

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Cool, I guess. So, what, around 250 episodes?
Without the filler, I would hazard a guess at around ~500 episodes currently. You can fit usually 2-3 chapters in a single 23 minute timespan, with some chapters needing more breathing room for certain scenes.

I agree with Doom85 Doom85

If we want anime as a whole to evolve, and in certain ways the medium is slowly evolving in quality from the 2000s and 2010s, then we're better off with seasonal shows rather than the long running stuff. The benefits far outweigh the negatives. One of the biggest issues to solve is in regard to Japanese TV networks. They seem to still have a pretty big chokehold on the industry to the point where animators are still working insane shifts and suffer from exhaustion in order to meet a weekly deadline. The weekly TV deadline has to eventually go extinct. These animators should be allowed to take their time to deliver the 100% quality product they want to deliver for themselves and fans alike.

Just imagine an anime studio working on a show for months before the air date/streaming date and then releasing 12-16 episodes for a season. Everything would be OVA quality or above. Everything. Most of the American productions already do this and we've been getting great stuff because of it. Japan needs to follow suit.

Yoboman

Hard disagree, especially as the One Piece anime started incorporating a lot of filler within its canon episodes meaning one was even forced to watch filler and couldn’t just skip a bunch of episodes like what I did with the 80 filler episode trash that followed the Sasuke Retrieval arc in Naruto.

Modern anime no longer need stupid filler or padding, they just adapt the manga as is. Honestly, Black Clover got done dirty by having it be a long runner anime instead of released in cours, yes it could look good at times, but the less consistent animation and padding and filler clearly turned off some people who didn’t give it as much of a chance because the adaptation style was outdated. Well, that and Asta’s Japanese voice murdering 99.9% of people’s earbuds who watched it (I know he got better eventually, but it was funny at the start seeing sub elitists begrudgingly admit the English dub was the better option in this case).

Plus, releasing in cours allows the animation to be far better. Like, OP’s fights can look good, but Demon Slayer, Chainsaw Man, Jujutsu Kaisen, Attack on Titan, etc. not only are generally better in fight animation, but just better animation in general.

Proper patience leads to far better rewards. There’s no doubt Studio Wit will make better animation than even current OP episodes. The only issue is if they’ll stick with it, after leaving Attack on Titan and Vinland Saga for MAPPA to continue, I’m skeptical if they’re committed to seeing OP all the way through (but if they’re not, don’t let MAPPA pick it up! That’s not a knock on MAPPA’s quality, but rather they don’t need to pick up any other big series they haven’t already started, their employees need a break. Chainsaw Man, Jujutsu Kaisen, Hell’s Paradise, and Zombieland Saga are more than enough right now, thankfully they’ve concluded Attack on Titan so at least that’s a load off their backs.)
All those series will be finished in a few years. JJK is ending next year and Chainsaw Man next year or 2025. Hell's Paradise concluded last year.

All those series will be finished in a few years. JJK is ending next year and Chainsaw Man next year or 2025. Hell's Paradise concluded last year.
exactly-yes.gif

And then we will collectively move on to other, newer shows. More new shows will get exposure because the spotlight wouldn’t be taken up all year by a select handful, and we wouldn’t need filler anymore.

This sounds like a wonderful ordeal.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
YEEEEES the pacing can be fixed! Hopefully they get a good voice cast for English. I love the Funi cast for the most part in the dub especially Boa and Robin and early Sengoku before he died

Seen the VA for Franky? The man looks the part!

He also voices Bon Kurei and fake Usopp.

Yoboman

exactly-yes.gif

And then we will collectively move on to other, newer shows. More new shows will get exposure because the spotlight wouldn’t be taken up all year by a select handful, and we wouldn’t need filler anymore.

This sounds like a wonderful ordeal.
That's fine but One Piece is historical. There will probably never be another manga like it, 25-30 years of story, part of the big 3. Things just won't be made in that way again. Will go down within Japan as one of the most important pieces of media. It deserves to have as much care and effort given as possible

Doom85

I know the mangaka of JJK confirmed that (though like the My Hero Academia mangaka changing his mind on the ending year, we‘ll see if JJK actually sticks to that), and Hell’s Paradise is relatively short, but I can’t find anything where the Chainsaw Man mangaka suggested where it would ended. Honestly, given his obsession with film, I think the manga will have 3 Parts like a film trilogy (I’ve not read Part 2 yet, but I even heard it feels like a usual 2nd film in a good deal of trilogies where everything goes wrong for the leads and the 3rd film is where they make their big comeback) and Part 2 is not even done yet, plus Fujimoto might take another hiatus before starting Part 3 if it happens.

It’s also worth noting a bunch of people at MAPPA are huge Fujimoto fans and have flat out said they want to animate all his works, so they could announce adaptations of Fire Punch, Look Back, and/or Goodbye Eri at some point.

Regardless, it’s about making sure MAPPA’s employees aren’t overworked anymore. Keeping the focus on a more reasonable amount of series allows more animators working on any individual show thus easing any one person’s workload. Unless the big wigs are willing to hire a bunch of people to help, which hey, is a possibility too. But I do know both Dandadan and Kaiju no. 8 are being animated by other studios (and Undead Unluck was another studio as well), so at least in terms of the next big Jump titles being animated, MAPPA isn’t overextending themselves there thankfully.

Delphisage

Rule of thumb is to expect every big WSJ series to last somewhere between a dozen and sixteen years, like Naruto. MHA probably won't be ending until it reaches like 500 chapters.

God I wish that series would just end. It promised again and again that it would be better than Naruto and then fell on its ass so hard that I ended up reading Naruto and found out MHA had never managed to reach its highs in the first place.

Last edited:

Doom85

Rule of thumb is to expect every big WSJ series to last somewhere between a dozen and sixteen years, like Naruto. MHA probably won't be ending until it reaches like 500 chapters.

God I wish that series would just end. It promised again and again that it would be better than Naruto and then fell on its ass so hard that I ended up reading Naruto and found out MHA had never managed to reach its highs in the first place.

There are definitely some exceptions. Demon Slayer and Promised Neverland have both made the top 5 highest selling SJ manga of a year or more yet ended in 23 and 20 volumes respectively.

Last edited:
That's fine but One Piece is historical. There will probably never be another manga like it, 25-30 years of story, part of the big 3. Things just won't be made in that way again. Will go down within Japan as one of the most important pieces of media. It deserves to have as much care and effort given as possible
You’re right, One Piece is historical and it will remain an important piece of media for a very long time to due to it’s impact and longevity…

Things just won't be made in that way again.
image.gif.02dc491cccac97d02a257835ab0cc421.gif

Let One Piece be the one to stand at the top of that mountain of longevity, forever, as we move forward to what comes next.

A still forever-running Pokemon and Naruto?
No, more seasonal shows. Naruto, One Piece, and at times Dragonball and Pokemon(even though the latter two take breaks between new content) are like the World of Warcraft or the procedural TV of anime. They will always be there whenever you want to return to them.

Not every big show needs this and definitely not every show can sustain this. There are so many older gems I saw when younger that I'm thankful weren't stretched out to be endless weekly shows. Cowboy Bebop is an instant example. It is seen as a legendary show and that was only with 26 episodes and a movie.

Yoboman

I think one thing that has been missed is that this is why the remake is necessary:
OcilCGC.jpg

As insanely popular as OP is, it has primarily an adult fanbase. Young audiences have struggled to get into it, probably because it started so long before they were even born. It's hard to pick up a weekly manga 1000 chapters in

This is a new entry point for an audience who missed the last boat

Doom85

I think one thing that has been missed is that this is why the remake is necessary:
OcilCGC.jpg

As insanely popular as OP is, it has primarily an adult fanbase. Young audiences have struggled to get into it, probably because it started so long before they were even born. It's hard to pick up a weekly manga 1000 chapters in

This is a new entry point for an audience who missed the last boat

Oh definitely. One Piece was always the #1 seller every year for Jump (and #1 of all manga period save for one year where Kingdom outsold it) for like two decades, until 2020 where Demon Slayer not only outsold it but by over four times as much. Now, some tried to play that off as a one time thing since Season 1 of Demon Slayer had aired at the perfect time with incredible animation to catch a lot of people’s attention (I know several people who felt like they each had a dozen friends at least become anime fans around that time purely due to the insane amount of exposure Demon Slayer was getting on social media), but then next year rolled around and One Piece was only 4th highest being outsold by Jujutsu Kaisen, Demon Slayer, and My Hero Academia (and only 6th highest manga overall with Attack on Titan and Kingdom outselling it). That’s not even getting into Jump+, the digital offerings, with series like Spy x Family, Dandadan, and Takopi’s Original Sin just killing it in record views.

It was obvious that the manga just simply couldn’t gather that many new fans with such an insanely demanding amount of chapters. This is why the Netflix series and now this remake will help, offering newcomers a far less intimidating entry point. Who knows, it may even reach the #1 spot again for a while even after ending, concluded series are now showing more life sales-wise these days, with Demon Slayer, Promised Neverland, Haikyuu, and Dr. Stone all making the top 10 Jump sellers for a year despite all being concluded at least one year prior.

Top Bottom