• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 |OT| Feel The Pain Of Koei and Namco Bandai's Victory

f4ecu2wz94c2wbzzg.jpg

OsAj37s.png

b0yKhyG.png

Developed by Koei, Pirate Warriors 3 is One Piece's answer to Dynasty Warriors; that is to say, it's a Musou game set in the One Piece universe. For those unfamiliar with the term "Musou," the games generally involve slaying armies upon armies of enemies whilst capturing outposts and completing unique objectives, as well as levelling up your playable characters. Pirate Warriors 3 is a sequel to Pirate Warriors 2, but unlike the prevous game, this one follows the cannical story of the popular manga (at least, until the end of Dressrosa.)
The game has already been released in Japan since March 26th, but is only now releasing in western regions. Specifically August 25th for America and August 28th for Europe, and is available on the Playstation systems (PS3, PS4 and VITA) and PC (PC system requirements).

pGkG4Xu.png

0ro6XYu.gif

Being a game in the Musou series, Pirate Warriors 3 is all about devastating crowd-destroying assaults and stylish special attacks. Some playable characters have different forms to access like Rob Lucci's Leapord form, or any of the Logia users. Sadly, the Partner systems seems to be gone, but it seems to have been replaced by...

giphy.gif

The Kizuna Rush system allows multiple characters to join the player and deliver a devastating combination attack. Up to 4 characters can be summoned at once, and the final blow will be more powerful the more allies you have involved.

The game also features something called the "Dream Log," in which you control your favourite character through specific routes to defeat other unlockable characters and gain items. There's also an unlockable "Nightmare Log" mode, which is essentially the same thing, only much harder. It's reccomended to max out your characters level before even attempting this mode.

IQtKhNh.png

c6slhcilrocomqczg.jpg

4mfsd4y844fh5qqzg.jpg

*Forgive the name mishaps, the images were taken from the Japanese website.

The Strawhat crew also feature their pre-timeskip outfits and moves.
In addition to the above 37 playable characters, the game also features 27 support characters that can join you in the Kizuna Rush attack:
Pacifista
Axe Hand Morgan
Mr 3/Galdino
Kaku
Monet
Hannyabal
Sentomaru
Jesus Burgess
Don Krieg
Arlong
Hatchan
Flower Blade Vista
Diamond Jozu
Wiper
Blueno
Jabra
Bellamy the Hyena
Minotaurus
Iron Mace Alvida
Mr 2/Bon Clay
Captain Kuro
Coby
Wapol
Lapahn
Mr 1/Daz Bones
Demon Bamboo Vergo
*Spoilered in case you want to find out for yourself.

mPNcgBs.png

Reveal Trailer | Dressrosa trailer
| Gameplay trailer

eBsNsHE.png

oikThRP.png

*The Doffy Edition is only available in Europe unless you fancy importing.

16944791335_c4c34ec4a6_b.jpg

2SvLAzi.png

Q: What language is this in?
A: Spoken word is Japanese, but the subtitles and menus are in English.

Q: Why is [your favourite character] not in the game?
A: Budget, or something. Every character in One Piece has a unique fighting style, so it's no surprise some don't adapt well to a musou game.

Q: Which version should I buy?
A: All evidence points to the PS4 version being the best, PC version seems to be a port of the PS4 version, with online removed.

Q: Any online co-op?
A: Afraid not, at least on PC according to the steam store page. From what I can gather, it's still in on the console versions and VITA.

Q: So this game follows the main story right? Does that include everything from the Dressrosa arc?
A: No, Dressrosa is an alternate scenario due to it not being finished yet.

My copy is ready tomorrow! Can't freaking wait!!!

Too bad there won't be Pirate Warriors 4 for while according to the devs.

If anyone is down for Co-op add me.

PSN: fireflys545

massoluk

Banned
Does the game include kid Luffie or just after the timeskip?
Asking because I have never played OP Musou, because no Playstation. Will get it for PC.

Excellent OP. I'll join you guys on Friday when the game launches in Europe. Gonna be playing this baby all weekend. Will be switching to a new avatar on Friday as well. PW3 is my second most anticipated game of the year; just wish there were a few more new characters.

You should probably clarify in the FAQ though that it does follow the main story, only in Dressrosa it doesn't.

NZerker12

Great OT OP, having already played the PS4 japanese version I look foward to seeing what everyone else thinks of the game.

Also If anyone would like to know anything else about the game please do not hesitate to ask.

Hopefully I will also be able to play co-op with everyone with the japanese version.

If you are a Dynasty Warriors fan this game is for you, I consider it the greatest musou game Koei have produced so far.

Recently, they've made it mandatory to play as certain characters for each stage in Dynasty Warriors. Do they do that here as well, or can I play as the same character all throughout?

Does the game include kid Luffie or just after the timeskip?
Asking because I have never played OP Musou, because no Playstation. Will get it for PC.

Oh yeah, should have mentioned that you can play as the pre-timeskip Strawhats, and that they have a different moveset than the post timeskip ones.

Anyway, I'm slinking back to the shadows here (kishishishi). Need to wait until Friday before I can actually play this.

Tizoc

A few traders are offering the game+dlc for USD 53 if anyone's interested. Gonna grab the PC/steam ver. in a few days myself :3

Yaasss my favorite type of DW game. Some of the characters had terrible movesets last time so I hope it's corrected. And IIRC, some parts like Water 7 had lacking bossfights so I hope that's corrected too.

Lunar15

This is coming out at a really bad time. Had it been a month ago, we would have been fine. Now we're rubbing up against MGSV and Mario Maker.

I'm excited, but I think I'll wait to see if there's any kind of steam sale for it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
*reads thread title* Heh, perfect reference.
Playable Doflamingo is tempting.

I think the lack of Funimation voices is due to still being greatly behind. They're catching up but are only on Amazon Lily.

RyType

I love one piece and dynasty warriors yet I've never played the previous pirate warrior games- can't wait to give this one a try. Vita or ps4 though.... Hm.

NZerker12

Recently, they've made it mandatory to play as certain characters for each stage in Dynasty Warriors. Do they do that here as well, or can I play as the same character all throughout?

Story Mode, kinda you usually get to choose between 1-10 characters depending on the stage. All other modes however allow you to play as whoever you want.

Samemind

Choice thread title, great OP. I pray the PC port is competent. Thankfully, Steam Refunds gives me full peace of mind.

As a Dynasty Warriors fan, would I enjoy this despite not knowing what the heck a One Piece Pirate Warrior is?

Out of the musou franchises I've played so far (DW, HW, PW, WO & Sengoku Basara), Pirate Warriors is definitely the best. You'll enjoy it even if you have no clue what One Piece is! The controls, combos, movesets and characters are much more in-depth and original than DW imo.

IronLich

All present and future One Piece Musou titles feel empty unless Rebecca is involved. Gladiator character should be right at home in this genre, plus I am denied the Dynasty Warriors costume DLC of having her wear the Lu Lingqi outfit.

Especially when this is a game using parts of the Dressrosa arc, and she's still absent. Such a waste. Tashigi is nice, but nice isn't good enough.

Lunar15

All present and future One Piece Musou titles feel empty unless Rebecca is involved. Gladiator character should be right at home in this genre, plus I am denied the Dynasty Warriors costume DLC of having her wear the Lu Lingqi outfit.

Especially when this is a game using parts of the Dressrosa arc, and she's still absent. Such a waste.

Look, I'm a big proponent of never counting any possible character out of a fighting/musou game, but Rebecca's whole thing is not fighting. She's never once attacked a single person.

Especially when this is a game using parts of the Dressrosa arc, and she's still absent. Such a waste. Tashigi is nice, but nice isn't good enough.

Of all the characters with awesome fighting styles in the Dressrosa arc, Rebecca is the one you want, lol.

Slayven

all the gladiators should be in. I need to Funk Brothers and the King's punch

StMeph

So I've read elsewhere that the game takes you through the Dressrosa arc of the story with a different resolution since it was released before the manga's completion. I've been only meh with older musou/DW titles... has the formula changed substantially in the last 10 years? Seriously, the last one I played was DW2 or 3.

Kind of tempted anyway, since it's more of a mindless action title.

Wait so this game follows the story from the very beginning all the way to the current arc? This is confirmed?

This game must be massively long. I might pick this up to tide me over the next couple of weeks.

Wait so this game follows the story from the very beginning all the way to the current arc? This is confirmed?

This game must be massively long. I might pick this up to tide me over the next couple of weeks.

Yeah it's from the very beginning. People are saying the game is 20+ hour just for the Dream Log, and then another 10+ hour for the other mode.

The next 8 days are probably the craziest for me all year long. This, Madden 16, Until Dawn, Gears of War UE, Dishonored UE, Mad Max, and apparently the game of miracles... MGS V. Nuts.

This game looks super good though. I'm pretty unfamiliar with One Piece (may be my biggest anime sin), but love musou games and this one looks pretty insane. Looking forward to tomorrow!

NZerker12

Story is not that long it is about 8-10hrs as 1 mission = 1 arc in this game (except Marineford Which is split into two missions)

From what I understand, it's basically the cliffnotes of each arc up until Dressrosa. Heard the story takes anything from 10 - 20 hours to finish, but then there's the Dream and Nightmare Log...

Amazing title.

I'm surprised Koei can somehow make up endings for their entire series thus far XD
5345400+_a55420dd92ab5c104bb40a173ff5c683.gif

PW2 in general was a goddamn trip.

This is coming out at a really bad time. Had it been a month ago, we would have been fine. Now we're rubbing up against MGSV and Mario Maker.

I'm excited, but I think I'll wait to see if there's any kind of steam sale for it.

I thought you didn't like Musou games?

Top Bottom