• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 |OT| Feel The Pain Of Koei and Namco Bandai's Victory

bobohoro

Got the trophy for 20 crew members at MAX and now I think I'll shelf the game. My opinion on the game didn't change much in the last few hours, nightmare mode could have been fun if it were possible to get most characters (sans top tier) up to snuff without having to grind dream log first. And if maps would offer more gold coin drops. But as it is, it's another lackluster mode that really doesn't offer much in terms of quality content.

One final thing that really got on my nerves and felt like a step back compared to the previous entry: hitstun for enemy generals is fucked. Like, most attacks really don't have any weight behind them if you don't skill for more stun, and even then it takes a few punches to really stagger enemies. They however can interrupt your chain with nearly every little attack animation. Really doesn't help in feeling like a powerful war machine, one of the central forms of enjoyment I personally see in musou games, especially in the endgame.

Did you use the skill set that makes it easier to stun enemies? It's quite effective.

And from what I've played, almost every character has at least one or two combos that can stun an enemy (i.e. Luffy's Grizzly Magnum)

Escalario

Banned
Fun times ahead. My save file got corrupted. I've put over 100 hours into the game for the last month. FYI, I'm playing the PC version.

Majukun

Fun times ahead. My save file got corrupted. I've put over 100 hours into the game for the last month. FYI, I'm playing the PC version.

did you do something in particular or it just happened?

EDIT: oh FFS,in the italian version they translated the "suits room"in dressrosa with "sala tute"...that means "track suit room"..

I understand that the translator might have not been a onepiece fan..but track suit room?seriously?

Escalario

Banned
did you do something in particular or it just happened?

EDIT: oh FFS,in the italian version they translated the "suits room"in dressrosa with "sala tute"...that means "track suit room"..

I understand that the translator might have not been a onepiece fan..but track suit room?seriously?

Nope. I was doing some Dream Log, quit the game. Started the game again like 3 hours later, and it just didn't had any of my progression. The weird thing is my option settings were still there (controller settings, sound and graphical options, skipping story events that I've already saw, all of it).

Majukun

Nope. I was doing some Dream Log, quit the game. Started the game again like 3 hours later, and it just didn't had any of my progression. The weird thing is my option settings were still there (controller settings, sound and graphical options, skipping story events that I've already saw, all of it).

are you sure you didn't just choose the wrong option and started a new one instead of continuing the one you were doing before?

EDIT: anyone managed to use gedosato with the game?
actually i have not been able to use the program with ANY game and i don't know what i'm doing wrong...added the .exe name to the whitelist,choose the resolution by putting # before all the other ones...left gedosato on the background...opened the game and nothing changes..no indication it is working (i should get some kind of message right?),and the image quality seems to me the same

anyone can help?

Escalario

Banned
are you sure you didn't just choose the wrong option and started a new one instead of continuing the one you were doing before?

EDIT: anyone managed to use gedosato with the game?
actually i have not been able to use the program with ANY game and i don't know what i'm doing wrong...added the .exe name to the whitelist,choose the resolution by putting # before all the other ones...left gedosato on the background...opened the game and nothing changes..no indication it is working (i should get some kind of message right?),and the image quality seems to me the same

anyone can help?

I'm sure. Game asked me if I wanted to load my save, I've chose yes. Then the game asked me if I've wanted to make a new save, I've said no. Then it gone back to asking me about loading the old save. Then it asked me abour starting new save again. It was stuck in that loop until I've started a new save.

great to see them releasing new costumes and islands for dream log :) didnt expect anything new after DLC 1 and DLC 2 :)

would be great if they released new playable characters but that wont happen i think,

did they say if there will be more costumes down the line ?

SoulUnison

Banned
So I was playing Pirates VS CP9 in Free Mode last night with Kizaru, just wanting to try out some different characters, and about halfway through the stage, after I beat Jabra (I think that's his name. The wolf-guy that Sanji fights.) the game stuttered strangely then went back to normal.

From that point on I couldn't be hit by any enemy attacks and speech boxes and objective indicators would randomly have their text replaced by "DUMMY_ENG."

So that was pretty cool.

Sora_N

Quick question, ordered this from Amazon Canada for 22.50.

I loved PW1 actually, I liked the QTEs even if it was annoying sometimes.

I got PW2 and didn't put much time into it, and didn't finish it.

So how is PW3 compared to 1 or 2? Is it worth it? It was cheap so I got it first, but I'm on the fence.

Dugna

Quick question, ordered this from Amazon Canada for 22.50.

I loved PW1 actually, I liked the QTEs even if it was annoying sometimes.

I got PW2 and didn't put much time into it, and didn't finish it.

So how is PW3 compared to 1 or 2? Is it worth it? It was cheap so I got it first, but I'm on the fence.

Story mode is definitely better then PW2, but meh compared to the story telling of PW1, a example is

PW1 Lucci fight

vs

PW3 Lucci fight

PW1 while being annoying to play does a decent job recreating the major fights it does show, PW3 is more fun to play and less annoying with no QTES but it just gets lazy with the main fights thematically.

Other then that PW3 is all around way better game then both PW1/2 with tons of content and a decent chunk of the story retold.

Samemind

To elaborate on the "recreation of the manga" I'd say each of PW1 and PW3 have pros and cons in all aspects.. While true PW3 covers more of the overall manga story by featuring more arcs and characters, that came at the cost of being even more of synopsis'd for each part. Many arcs that were told with more than one chapter in PW1 are smushed into a single stage in PW3. On the flip side, many secondary fights were able to get more spotlight in PW3 like Sanji and Zoro's battles in Arabasta. Personally, I mourn the removal of intro and victory cutscenes in PW3 (or only intros?).

Also much like PW2, there's no adventure stages. Which is fine by me, I've always felt trying to cram in gameplay from a different genre without building your engine for it was distasteful.

As an aside, I don't think the Crocodile fight was particularly well done in PW1 either.

BHK3

Banned
Bought it on sale, resurrecting this thread!

So far it's been pretty fun, it's crazy how hectic it gets and I assume its because of the PS4? I don't remember constantly climbing to 3k enemies beaten this easily and quickly before in PW1 or 2.

I just reached Marineford in the story mode, I like that they finally regulated coins to just powering up your stats but at the same time didn't change anything about the chests in stages. Big royal chests now only carry a mere 300 beli or more since coins were moved, removing whatever little exploration there was. I also find the legend, treasure event, crew skill and all that to be a little confusing. Treasure events are in game events that can sometimes only be triggered by certain fighters, which adds replayability which is nice. But then the Legend thing seems kinda pointless, I 100% certain legends my first time playing the episodes. Also calling it a 'Legend' is what confuses me since its just a giant poster but there's a seperate thing called skill posters which I don't know the function of at all. It's like they removed half the things from the shops and just put them into a different section since most of the rewards are data voices and things like that.

My only complaint is the super super condensed story cutscenes and talking scenes, did they re-use like half the cutscenes from PW1 or something? Some cutscenes looked super familiar. I noticed it would be a talking scene then they add in a 5 second scene using ingame models(almost comes off as something from Source Filmmaker, where it feels like its some dude posing different figures for fun re-creating scenes) then you have different cutscenes that look really good(Luffy vs. Lucci for instance). The story goes at such breakneck speed it's almost tiring, I wonder if things will slow down once I reach the new world but I assume it'll still be a Arc an Episode.

I kinda wish they didn't remove the stylish mode, I liked pressing a button and going into a high powered state. Right now starting off a stage with like 4 crewmates essentially lets you kizuana rush nonstop, but once you make them your 'allies' then building up kizuna rush takes forever since the buildup slows down and consumes meter from all crewmates. But man is it fun, just mashing square and then 5 dudes pop out doing full combos. In a way it kinda fixes the problem with PW1/2 where AOE characters like Aokiji and Mihawk were broken since that was the defacto way to clear mobs.

I've only played as Luffy and Crocodile so far, I assume each character in the skill poster section is a playable character? If so there's a ton in this game, yet they had to make some awkward changes to the story for lack of characters like Kidd(Luffy and Law pose with a big space inbetween them where Kidds supposed to be). I still don't know why they gave us Garp yet we STILL don't have a playable Wapol or Arlong. I remember the data moves for Wapol in PW2 showed us he has different moves and bombs for each of his forms yet that seems to be quite the detail for a simple NPC...hey at least all the warlords and admirals are playable.

So far so good, I wish I knew how to do rescue requests though, I sometimes get a SOS alert but there's no option to go help, just pressing touchpad puts me in my own lobby.

Samemind

Bought it on sale, resurrecting this thread!

So far it's been pretty fun, it's crazy how hectic it gets and I assume its because of the PS4? I don't remember constantly climbing to 3k enemies beaten this easily and quickly before in PW1 or 2.
There's definitely more enemies to defeat thanks to the PS4's tech. The series has gotten progressively larger-scale as time goes on. If this keeps going, PW4 missions might make Enies Lobby look like a schoolyard spat.
Treasure events are in game events that can sometimes only be triggered by certain fighters, which adds replayability which is nice. But then the Legend thing seems kinda pointless, I 100% certain legends my first time playing the episodes.
Hitting certain completion milestones net you Gold coins, which are what you need for certain final stat upgrades or for increasing the level cap
Also calling it a 'Legend' is what confuses me since its just a giant poster but there's a seperate thing called skill posters which I don't know the function of at all.
The skill posters are something every named character with an in-game model has. They level up according to certain actions taken when they participate in the level you just completed, and leveling up skill posters will unlock many things like equippable skills and data items you can view in the gallery (voice clips, dialog portraits, etc.)
My only complaint is the super super condensed story cutscenes and talking scenes, did they re-use like half the cutscenes from PW1 or something? Some cutscenes looked super familiar. I noticed it would be a talking scene then they add in a 5 second scene using ingame models(almost comes off as something from Source Filmmaker, where it feels like its some dude posing different figures for fun re-creating scenes) then you have different cutscenes that look really good(Luffy vs. Lucci for instance). The story goes at such breakneck speed it's almost tiring, I wonder if things will slow down once I reach the new world but I assume it'll still be a Arc an Episode.
I definitely agree they sacrificed some quality in storytelling. Lots of asset reuse from PW1 and PW2. And choosing to go with the manga-style presentation. But it is a consequence of the realities of video game production. The budget required to recount each part as well as in PW1 would be ridiculous considering the game covers the story from start to (mostly) current
I kinda wish they didn't remove the stylish mode, I liked pressing a button and going into a high powered state. Right now starting off a stage with like 4 crewmates essentially lets you kizuana rush nonstop, but once you make them your 'allies' then building up kizuna rush takes forever since the buildup slows down and consumes meter from all crewmates.
Here's some tips that can help you manage the Kizuna gauge somewhat more efficiently. For starters, you're able to manually deactivate a Kizuna Rush by pressing R2. Doing this instead of using the team super or letting it run out lets you keep your ally at level 2, which means less downtime between Kizuna Rush activations. Also, you might consider bringing one of your allies to max level, then leave them like that while you switch to another one. This allows you to keep a Kizuna rush activation in reserve to use at any time.
I've only played as Luffy and Crocodile so far, I assume each character in the skill poster section is a playable character?
Not so, unfortunately. If you look in the skill poster menu, everyone in the list starting from Morgan and beyond is NPC-only
I still don't know why they gave us Garp yet we STILL don't have a playable Wapol or Arlong.
If you look at it from the perspective of getting the most out of a production budget, it makes perfect sense. You look at how much use you could get out of creating assets for a playable character, and Garp easily wins out. The majority of characters in the playable roster were present for and participated in at least two different story arcs. It's unfortunate to think so, but I doubt any the east blue arc bosses are going to get playable status, not until Omega Force runs out characters who are important for more than one small portion of the story
So far so good, I wish I knew how to do rescue requests though, I sometimes get a SOS alert but there's no option to go help, just pressing touchpad puts me in my own lobby.

When you get an SOS alert, you have to scroll through the mission list and find the one with an SOS mark. Then you press Square to join the player.

BHK3

Banned
Doing this instead of using the team super or letting it run out lets you keep your ally at level 2, which means less downtime between Kizuna Rush activations.

Also, you might consider bringing one of your allies to max level, then leave them like that while you switch to another one. This allows you to keep a Kizuna rush activation in reserve to use at any time.

If you look at it from the perspective of getting the most out of a production budget, it makes perfect sense. You look at how much use you could get out of creating assets for a playable character, and Garp easily wins out. The majority of characters in the playable roster were present for and participated in at least two different story arcs. It's unfortunate to think so, but I doubt any the east blue arc bosses are going to get playable status, not until Omega Force runs out characters who are important for more than one small portion of the story

When you get an SOS alert, you have to scroll through the mission list and find the one with an SOS mark. Then you press Square to join the player.

When you kizuna rush, it only keeps the meter if they aren't your ally/not rushed with them yet. Once I've rushed with everyone, everyone is my ally and I can get them all to max and rushing with one person consumes everyones gauges. For the first 10 mins its fine but usually I have to plan it out so I have a rush ready for the final enemy.

I just wanna eat people with Wapol and call everyone Kaba's. Garp shows up twice and gets priority?

I'll try the SOS thing later. My final comment is I wished they did Movie DLC Scenarios or something, I would love to play as Wapols brother or Gasparde.

Samemind

When you kizuna rush, it only keeps the meter if they aren't your ally/not rushed with them yet. Once I've rushed with everyone, everyone is my ally and I can get them all to max and rushing with one person consumes everyones gauges.
Which is why I'm saying don't activate kizuna rush on all characters. You can take one character to Max level, then not activate kizuna rush. You switch to another character, take them to Max level then Kizuna rush. And the first character is still at max level, leaving you ready to activate anytime you want.

And I sympathize with you for character choices. I think Kuro had a cool design and I wish he was playable in more One Piece games.

Sora_N

I was stressed so I ripped open my copy on Saturday. Man, so fun to play this. The story is light but a good refresher as its been 10 years or more since I watched the start of the anime.

I can only play till the New World starts though since I plan to catch up with the manga once I get there. Held off on this for years

Sora_N

Finished up to Skypiea. I wish the Arabasta stuff and this wasn't that condensed. It's a good refresher for me though

Dawg

This OT is a bit dead, but anyone bought the DLC?

There's a story pack that seems to include everything and I want to know if it's worth buying.

This OT is a bit dead, but anyone bought the DLC?

There's a story pack that seems to include everything and I want to know if it's worth buying.

Well, it's just a bunch of costumes. If you plan on playing the game a lot and want to be able to look a different (get more variety in appearance), then sure. Imo it's overpriced, but I love One Piece so I caved.

Dawg

Well, it's just a bunch of costumes. If you plan on playing the game a lot and want to be able to look a different (get more variety in appearance), then sure. Imo it's overpriced, but I love One Piece so I caved.

But they also mention 8 new missions.

LaneDS

So my brother and I played this locally and we liked it enough where I bought him a copy for online co-op after reading online that this was an option for Legend Log. We tried it tonight and it appears you can't co-op episodes if neither player has already cleared it, meaning we effectively can't co-op through the game.

Am I missing something or did I waste $40 by buying him a copy?

Hollycat

Is there a known glitch where when you select set sail it starts to load and goes back to the main menu instead? I can't start the third map :( I'm only an hour in and the game is broken

Dugna

Is there a known glitch where when you select set sail it starts to load and goes back to the main menu instead? I can't start the third map :( I'm only an hour in and the game is broken

which platform? I played till plat on my PS4 and never had that happen.

Hollycat

which platform? I played till plat on my PS4 and never had that happen.
Vita

Uploaded save, reinstalled game, downloaded save and it appears to be working now. They should really take care of that glitch though, I could see someone quoting the game over it

Dugna

Vita

Uploaded save, reinstalled game, downloaded save and it appears to be working now. They should really take care of that glitch though, I could see someone quoting the game over it

ahh, ok some of the warriors games have small problems on Vita but glad to hear it works again.

Necrovex

Decided to pick this up during a steam sale. Greatly disappointed my Xbox one pad doesn't work for it at all. Camera doesn't stop turning during fights. I heard Koei does a bad job for PC port, but I didn't expect the controls to be thus dreadful. Went ahead and did a refund request.

Mephala

Decided to pick this up during a steam sale. Greatly disappointed my Xbox one pad doesn't work for it at all. Camera doesn't stop turning during fights. I heard Koei does a bad job for PC port, but I didn't expect the controls to be thus dreadful. Went ahead and did a refund request.

That seems to be a new thing. It happened to me too. Didn't bother with looking for a fix though as I had pretty much completed the game as much as I care to at this point.

Lord Phol

Did the exact same thing, bought during sale, had problems with the controller(dual shock 4) and refunded. The game looks fun and was just what I was looking for at the moment, but not gonna support such a lazy portjob. Doesn't help that it's the PS3 version and not the PS4 version either. Hopeing for a PS4 sale soon.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The general rule of thumb is that if it's a Koei-Tecmo game...don't buy it on PC and get it on a console. There's always something fucked-up. I don't know how the Attack On Titan port turned out, though.

In contract, One Piece Burning Blood (by Spike/Namco) is pretty much identical to the PS4 version on PC. PC looks a bit sharper.

Necrovex

I may pick it up on the Vita when I visit the US again. I don't have the luxury of having a console while overseas (or a TV) so everything is PC, handhelds, or bust. Happy enough Naruto Ultimate Storm 3 works well enough on my intel 5500 laptop. Still sad that I won't have my Warriors fix; I love One Piece and musou games.

Top Bottom