• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Wubby

Started watching one piece from episode 1 a few months ago and I'm only up to episode 93. At this pace I wonder if I will get to episode 500 before next year!

Wubby said:
Started watching one piece from episode 1 a few months ago and I'm only up to episode 93. At this pace I wonder if I will get to episode 500 before next year!

Get out of this thread NOW. Spoilers everywhere.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Anteater said:
Maybe I'm really late to this but is there a reason why Heart Pirates and Bellamy seems to use a similar logo for the pirate crew?

This is another one of those "it's mentioned a few times throughout the series and we'll see what it means a few hundred chapters later".

Doc Flamingo after the auction house incident said it was the time for "smileys". His jolly roger(which Bellamy was under) is the first smiley jolly roger.

I'm not sure where Trafalgar Law plays into smilies though.

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Jolly_Roger#Smileys

Doflamingo is a weird and yet totally awesome character.

Wubby said:

You will catch up very quickly once they starts to run 8min flashbacks from the previous ep, and in that same ep you will be skipping flashbacks from 2-3 eps prior, OP doesn't have many fillers but they have so many time wasting eps it's rather annoying, OP needs a Kai version after it's done, once you finish croc arc get ready for a super ride of flashbacks and annoying BS.

Steroyd

Nemesis121 said:
You will catch up very quickly once they starts to run 8min flashbacks from the previous ep, and in that same ep you will be skipping flashbacks from 2-3 eps prior, OP doesn't have many fillers but they have so many time wasting eps it's rather annoying, OP needs a Kai version after it's done, once you finish croc arc get ready for a super ride of flashbacks and annoying BS.

One Piece incorporates the filler into the canon, I don't see how a Kai version would be beneficial at all, its not like DBZ where it literally spent epsiodes staring at each other and screaming.

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, I love the One Piece anime. I have pretty much every episode downloaded, but for some reason I stopped downloading them at the middle of Impel down and started reading the manga.

I really regret that, so I stopped reading the manga for almost 4 months now because I want to catch back up with the anime.

Is there a good place where I can download the episodes from with subtitles? Direct download like megaupload would be great, but torrents are ok too. I want to download them, not stream them, so the funi site isn't good for me.

Anyone use a good site?

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Mikey Jr. said:
Hey guys, I love the One Piece anime. I have pretty much every episode downloaded, but for some reason I stopped downloading them at the middle of Impel down and started reading the manga.

I really regret that, so I stopped reading the manga for almost 4 months now because I want to catch back up with the anime.

Is there a good place where I can download the episodes from with subtitles? Direct download like megaupload would be great, but torrents are ok too. I want to download them, not stream them, so the funi site isn't good for me.

Anyone use a good site?
Streaming from the funi site generates revenue for One Piece. It's one thing when a series isn't readily available (at cost or otherwise), it's an entirely different matter when you can support the anime at no cost to you. Stream from the website or buy the dvds when they become available.

Steroyd

Mikey Jr. said:

Anyone use a good site?

Against the rules on this forum to talk about how to obtain episodes other than legit means, anything else like torrents or direct dl you're just going to get the standard "google it" response.

Mikey Jr.

Steroyd said:
Against the rules on this forum to talk about how to obtain episodes other than legit means, anything else like torrents or direct dl you're just going to get the standard "google it" response.

Ahh, didn't know. Not too long ago we were talking about torrents and fansubbing.

Alright, sorry about that guys.

upandaway

Telosfortelos said:
Streaming from the funi site generates revenue for One Piece. It's one thing when a series isn't readily available (at cost or otherwise), it's an entirely different matter when you can support the anime at no cost to you. Stream from the website or buy the dvds when they become available.
mumble mumble US only mumble mumble

Deadly

Oh god that episode. I skipped the flashback waiting to watch this chapter get animated and it did not disappoint. Goddamn =(

I liked this episode, think I'm gonna actively enjoy watching the anime again from this point on, a few chapters I really enjoyed coming up soon.

Anth0ny

Finally got around to watching 500-505

What a great chunk of episodes to marathon. All very important to the story, extremely well animated, great pacing, very cool editing (inside Luffy's head in 505 was awesome) the music was spot on for the most part... and they were all very emotional. I'm certain that those voice actors were crying in the booth, there is no fucking way you can fake cry that convincingly. I'm thinking primarily of Ace after reading Sabo's letter ; _ ;

Piecake

Steroyd said:
One Piece incorporates the filler into the canon, I don't see how a Kai version would be beneficial at all, its not like DBZ where it literally spent epsiodes staring at each other and screaming.

The main with One Piece's pacing after water 7 is that the opening and recap lasts like 6 minutes. There is also a noticeable increase in the amount of staring, pointless running, or other filler scenes to increase time. The show went from a fast, tight 22-24 minutes of one piece awesomeness to 18 minutes of One piece - and a few minutes of that wasted on pointless filler shots.

What the could and should do is to eliminate those filler shots, get rid of excess recaps and opening sequences and combine episodes.

What they should do going forward is stop making episodes out of 1 chapter in the manga and make it out of 2-3 since there simply is not enough content in 1 chapter to make a whole episode

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Gonaria said:
The main with One Piece's pacing after water 7 is that the opening and recap lasts like 6 minutes. There is also a noticeable increase in the amount of staring, pointless running, or other filler scenes to increase time. The show went from a fast, tight 22-24 minutes of one piece awesomeness to 18 minutes of One piece - and a few minutes of that wasted on pointless filler shots.

What the could and should do is to eliminate those filler shots, get rid of excess recaps and opening sequences and combine episodes.

What they should do going forward is stop making episodes out of 1 chapter in the manga and make it out of 2-3 since there simply is not enough content in 1 chapter to make a whole episode

Then they'd hit full filler mode in 15-20 episodes. Examples... Bleach and Naruto.

At least they padded out Choppers section in this. I do not even recall in the manga mentioning how they he resolved the villagers and the birds dilemma. Robin looked odd animated. I enjoyed the Mihawk portion though, somehow even though I read it and know of Ace, it still stopped my heart when they all found out.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Dedication Through Light said:
At least they padded out Choppers section in this. I do not even recall in the manga mentioning how they he resolved the villagers and the birds dilemma. Robin looked odd animated. I enjoyed the Mihawk portion though, somehow even though I read it and know of Ace, it still stopped my heart when they all found out.
Pretty much nothing in this episode was covered in the manga, including Mihawk's return. Everything in this episode was a "filling in the gaps" sort of thing.

Pretty good, too. I'm glad they contained it all to one episode. I was expecting them to do this, but I was afraid they might stretch it out more.

Next week seems to be back to the chapter that follows last week's episode.

Relix said:
Then they'd hit full filler mode in 15-20 episodes. Examples... Bleach and Naruto.

I'd take full filler mode over anything else at this point. I can skip filler. I can't skip pointless extenders and filler in actual canon episodes.

bathala

Banned
oh hey. I forgot One Piece have other members beside Luffy.

nice to see them again. Now Nami reminds me of Emma Watson because of the hairstyle

FreeMufasa

I'm on a One Piece break. Not because I got tired of the series, I just became sick of the short episodes and long intros. Plus I wanted to have a whole batch of episodes to watch at once. Was hard in the beginning but i'm managing.

I've missed just over 100 episodes and i'll start watchin again when I have around 200-300. Tis gonna be sweet.

Come on Man they could get sooo much done without 4 min of recaps and I fucking love
that zoro fight with the baboons
, after watching him fight, it felt like I just scratched an itch

spiderman123 said:
Come on Man they could get sooo much done without 4 min of recaps and I fucking love
that zoro fight with the baboons
, after watching him fight, it felt like I just scratched an itch

I hope they expand on that in the future episodes, or give an episode specifically to each Straw Hat.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I guess I'm two episodes behind, but in 504
Ivankov is calling for a doctor while talking to Dragon, while Dragon has no apparent injuries, right after he had returned from the Celestial Dragon ceremony.
Does this lend more credence to the theory that
Sabo really did survive? Dragon seems to have gone alone, and there would be no other reason for Ivankov to be so urgent in calling for a doctor. A lot of people dismissed Sabo as potentially being one of the other Supernovas (specifically X. Drake or Trafalgar Law) due to none of them being from East Blue. If Sabo survived, he might have ended up with amnesia or something, and Dragon either took him in or dropped him off on island in another ocean where he would remember nothing of his past life.

DarthWoo said:
Ivankov is calling for a doctor while talking to Dragon, while Dragon has no apparent injuries, right after he had returned from the Celestial Dragon ceremony.
Sabo really did survive? Dragon seems to have gone alone, and there would be no other reason for Ivankov to be so urgent in calling for a doctor. A lot of people dismissed Sabo as potentially being one of the other Supernovas (specifically X. Drake or Trafalgar Law) due to none of them being from East Blue. If Sabo survived, he might have ended up with amnesia or something, and Dragon either took him in or dropped him off on island in another ocean where he would remember nothing of his past life.

Who thought of that theory, mind blowing!!!

BobLoblaw

Banned
DarthWoo said:
That's the general theory going around right now. Problem is, we won't know for sure until Oda is ready to reveal it. Still, in One Piece, no one ever really dies unless they're shown to.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Who thought of that theory, mind blowing!!!

I know it's an old one; I just didn't notice or forgot about Ivankov's exclamation from the manga several months ago.

Steroyd

VGChampion said:
I'd take full filler mode over anything else at this point. I can skip filler. I can't skip pointless extenders and filler in actual canon episodes.

I'd rather have a few bad episodes than having full filler arcs very frequently to the point that I completely lose interest in the whole thing by time it's a cannon arc.[/rant]

Looks at Naruto and Beelzebub.

Steroyd

Haha wow the latest episode was great I think this is a good example of how One Piece uses filler in a satisfying way, and I don't think I have grinned so much at a scene of just hearing footsteps for some 30+ seconds, as if Mihawk needed to be portrayed as a badass.

Excellent ep. OP has missed the rest of the crew A LOT. Sanji/Franky/Brook parts were hilarious. Also dat Robin. Also I always love revelations to other characters, in this case Ace's death to the crew because everyone's all like "OMG WTF?"

The Mihawk part was such obvious filler though with him walking for like 30 seconds. I don't like that type of filler...

Bel Marduk said:
Excellent ep. OP has missed the rest of the crew A LOT. Sanji/Franky/Brook parts were hilarious. Also dat Robin. Also I always love revelations to other characters, in this case Ace's death to the crew because everyone's all like "OMG WTF?"

The Mihawk part was such obvious filler though with him walking for like 30 seconds. I don't like that type of filler...

What? That made the scene more epic, seeing the monkeys all staring blankly to take in what they were hearing to process it, to see Zoro just thinking about why they stopped, and I, to think of the commanding presence that Mihawk is demanding. It built up the anticipation for him well, for me, especially since we hadnt seen him in so long.

What? That made the scene more epic, seeing the monkeys all staring blankly to take in what they were hearing to process it, to see Zoro just thinking about why they stopped, and I, to think of the commanding presence that Mihawk is demanding. It built up the anticipation for him well, for me, especially since we hadnt seen him in so long.

I actually don't think Mihawk is that badass so meh :p Even if I did think he was it was still too long.

Mikey Jr.

When OP is done, I would love to see a One Piece Kai version like with Dragonball Z.

The anime does a good job with what they have, but man, there is filler galore.

Constant flashbacks, sometimes a good 2 minute or more recap, and other stuff that is just like "Man, fucking get on with it" type shit. You could probably fit 2 full manga chapters worth of content into one episode, possibly 3 if they are light chapters.

Anth0ny

The best part of this episode was we learned that the flashbacks Zoro has in his head are 4:3, while the life he lives is 16:9

Come on anime team, it was like 2 seconds of animation =/

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
BobLoblaw said:
That's the general theory going around right now. Problem is, we won't know for sure until Oda is ready to reveal it. Still, in One Piece, no one ever really dies unless they're shown to.
It's also the only way the scene makes any sense.

Wow, finally watching more of the old episodes since Ive only seen the last 50 or so. I hope episode 47 is the lowest point in the series and that it only gets better from here. The only filler episode of any anime Ive seen where Ive just wanted to not even watch it. Only Captn Buggys appearance and trio take down of the bearpaw tribe was the only good part, and that was like the last three minutes or so. Wow and the second opening sounds like something out of DDR...

deduce

BatDan said:
Since it's semi-One Piece related, I'll bring this up.
A 4Kids employee started an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit. Knowing the risks and that the internet doesn't have the highest opinion of them.
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ikyum/iama_4kids_entertainmentproductions_employee_ama/

He/she acknowledges that they thought licensing One Piece was a huge mistake.
Thanks for that link, that was a great read. I liked this comment about the 4Kids adaption of One Piece:
Those of us on the production end are well aware of the faults of 4Kids Entertainment and the horrible decisions that were made. I don't think many of us who actually had to work on One Piece agreed with the decision for 4Kids to take on that show. It was never going to fly with Saturday morning TV standards so it got butchered. Was a complete waste of time and money for everyone involved, a horrible product came out of it.

But the "uptown" Entertainment folks in charge? I do not think they are fully aware of the problem. Al Kahn was a huge problem and had no idea what the hell he was doing, his retirement was met with many cheers and drinks by us.

Top Bottom