• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One year ago today I was diagnosed with cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Dude, very inspiring story. I'm so glad you're doing better and that the bill was covered. Barbaric that you even needed to worry about that during your situation, though.

One of the best threads on GAF. Thanks for taking the time to share OP, and congrats on it all!

Thanks man. And thank you for taking the time to read it.

I am also a survivor of this cancer. I don't want to make this about me or anything, so I will keep this very brief.

Long story short, I was diagnosed during spring break of my senior year of high school. I had an orchiectomy nearly immediately, but I was unfortunate to discover that the cancer had made its way elsewhere; it spread to my liver, hip and spine. I graduated high school in 2008, and it wasn't until summer of 2013 that I was entirely rid of the horrible affliction. I can't even begin to go into detail about what happened throughout that span of time; it included 3 major surgeries, a diabolical chemo schedule, radiation, and lots of pain.

Without a doubt the worst of it was when I was receiving chemo as an in-patient for weeks at a time, nonstop. The chemo and radiation have done a lot of damage to me, most notably of which is the nerve damage from the Platinum based chemo. It has truly done a number on me emotionally and mentally too. That "chemo brain" stuff is for real.

I apologize if this was too long or anything. I just really like reaching out whenever I see somebody who has gone through a similar hell, and beat it!

Wow, I'm sorry you had to go through all that. Sounds extremely rough but I'm glad you're over with the treatment at the very least. It is nice to reach out to other cancer survivors, especially those that had the same type. If you ever want to talk or make a connection, feel free to PM me.

This scares me because for the last year and a half I've had discomfort in my left testicle.. Went to the doctor and he did a physical and said all was fine.. I've had blood tests recently and all was fine, but still the discomfort scares me. Hurts kind of.

Edit: oh yeah, congrats on beating cancer dude!

Just keep up on getting it checked out, noticing any differences in the type of discomfort you're feeling. It may not be cancer but there are a lot of other issues that can happen down there, so the sooner the better.

I had both testicles operated once and the cut is made a bit bellow the belt line, so anything that makes your lower abs muscles contract causes pain and discomfort until everything heals, getting up from bed included as it increases blood pressure in your lower body. Laughing and coughing was like being stabbed for a few days.

If it's not too much detail, can I ask what procedure they had to do to operate on both? It wasn't a double orchiectomy, was it? And yes, the pain especially during laughing could be rough. I was recovering during E3 week so at least I was able to distract myself.

Dude, very inspiring story. I'm so glad you're doing better and that the bill was covered. Barbaric that you even needed to worry about that during your situation, though.

Yeah, it was a huge relief. I'm pretty lucky things worked out that way.

So I never bump this topic until it's been the anniversary but I have some crazy news to share. My last visit at the Oncologist in July revealed the lymphnode that had been enlarged previously had grown again. Fearing the 3 cycles of chemo didn't completely get rid of it, they did all sorts of blood work and even a PET scan to make sure it wasn't cancer. Everything came back normal and my PET scan didn't light up.

So it's not cancer again, which is great... except it's most likely teratoma, a tumor that is made up of different germ cells, which is what my testicular cancer tumor make up was. It's not treatable via chemo or radiation, only surgery is the way to go. So I met with a Urologist at Northwestern in Chicago today to discuss in further detail what is going to happen. I'm to have an RPLND (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroperitoneal_lymph_node_dissection - Photo of the area they have to cut into me: http://teamshaun.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/img_0245.jpg) sometime in the middle/end of October, so two months away. It's a very serious surgery that will have me in the hospital anywhere from 4-7 days and a month off of work. There are side effects like retrograde ejaculation that can occur, where you ejaculate into your bladder instead of through your urethra. Although my doctor says that my nerves that control this are on my right side and can be sparred, since my cancer was on my left side.

So that's where things stand. Not sure how I'm going to get away without a month of work. I have no vacation time to even use instead. I also have to reapply for financial aide for this surgery and hospital stay, which will be more expensive than my orchiectomy and chemo, which is insane. They wouldn't even let me schedule a date for the surgery without my financial aide stuff going through. So there's that too, but I'm not going to stress out about that so much. I just gotta focus and stay positive, despite the stupid financial situation.

So yeah, either way it's gotta be taken out otherwise it might turn into another cancer or grow too large and affect my other organs. So I'm not out of the woods yet as far as my health issues, but I could be worse off I suppose.

As an RPLND survivor, lol man that surgery is kind of rough. Try not to research it much. No good can come from that. Try to see if temporary disability is available to you from your state. In California you can get half pay for a good chunk if time if you qualify.

I had a temporary retrograde ejac situation for a year or two, but it eventually went away.

As an RPLND survivor, lol man that surgery is kind of rough. Try not to research it much. No good can come from that.

I had a temporary retrograde ejac situation for a year or two, but it eventually went away.

Haha, too late. I think that's why the news today didn't hit me as hard, my Urologist kept asking if I was alright. I hate surgery too, but like I said... trying to stay positive.

I've also read about temporary retrograde ejaculation. Hopefully if I have that issue, it's only temporary. Not to be too graphic, but I think not being able to fully finish will be a mental issue for me. I suppose I would eventually get used to it though.

That sucks Alex, having to worry about getting the surgery financed sounds horrible on top of worrying about the surgery itself. Best wishes!

Foffy

Banned
Pretty gross that the financial bullshit supersedes the well being of taking care of someone, so I hope you're able to solve that quickly and effectively.

Nephtis

That first post was incredible, and inspiring. It was beautifully written, and you're the type of person that makes me look forward to work every day (cancer research).

I am sorry to hear that you've had to come across this bump (heh), but I honestly believe you will be okay. My mom had cancer twice and survived each time, first time stage 3 and the 2nd time stage 0, one on each breast. She said that had she known then what she knew now, she would've gotten the other breast removed from the get go, but such is hindsight.

Keep staying positive, and remain as strong as you have been all this time.

S¡mon

Banned
I just read the OP and your most recent post. I just wanted to say, best of wishes and hopefully you'll fully recover later this year after your surgery. Stay strong! :)

Haha, too late. I think that's why the news today didn't hit me as hard, my Urologist kept asking if I was alright. I hate surgery too, but like I said... trying to stay positive.

I've also read about temporary retrograde ejaculation. Hopefully if I have that issue, it's only temporary. Not to be too graphic, but I think not being able to fully finish will be a mental issue for me. I suppose I would eventually get used to it though.

Lol yeah, they basically disembowel you. Good luck!

Oh, it's not that much if a deal. It's more like "Huh"

Thanks everyone for your support. It helps and will keep me positive. I just want to focus on getting back to school and working for the next few months.

Volimar

So I never bump this topic until it's been the anniversary but I have some crazy news to share. My last visit at the Oncologist in July revealed the lymphnode that had been enlarged previously had grown again. Fearing the 3 cycles of chemo didn't completely get rid of it, they did all sorts of blood work and even a PET scan to make sure it wasn't cancer. Everything came back normal and my PET scan didn't light up.

So it's not cancer again, which is great... except it's most likely teratoma, a tumor that is made up of different germ cells, which is what my testicular cancer tumor make up was. It's not treatable via chemo or radiation, only surgery is the way to go. So I met with a Urologist at Northwestern in Chicago today to discuss in further detail what is going to happen. I'm to have an RPLND (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroperitoneal_lymph_node_dissection - Photo of the area they have to cut into me: http://teamshaun.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/img_0245.jpg) sometime in the middle/end of October, so two months away. It's a very serious surgery that will have me in the hospital anywhere from 4-7 days and a month off of work. There are side effects like retrograde ejaculation that can occur, where you ejaculate into your bladder instead of through your urethra. Although my doctor says that my nerves that control this are on my right side and can be sparred, since my cancer was on my left side.

So that's where things stand. Not sure how I'm going to get away without a month of work. I have no vacation time to even use instead. I also have to reapply for financial aide for this surgery and hospital stay, which will be more expensive than my orchiectomy and chemo, which is insane. They wouldn't even let me schedule a date for the surgery without my financial aide stuff going through. So there's that too, but I'm not going to stress out about that so much. I just gotta focus and stay positive, despite the stupid financial situation.

So yeah, either way it's gotta be taken out otherwise it might turn into another cancer or grow too large and affect my other organs. So I'm not out of the woods yet as far as my health issues, but I could be worse off I suppose.

That's awful. Reminds me of that XKCD about cancer. Keep your spirit up.

I've been dealing with a lot of Cancer in the Family this past 2 years. StepFather (made of iron, said my goodbyes 3yrs ago and he's still going), Father InLaw (one year into treatment) plus a 12 year old Cousin that has Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.

I found people hate to hear that you are in there thoughts. They are tired of hearing it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
After the good news you posted, I'm sorry to hear about your latest problem. That really sucks. Hopefully you can go through with it without too much difficulty.

g23

European pre-madonna
Great post man! Your're words are an inspiration to all! God bless and live life to the fullest!

I've been dealing with a lot of Cancer in the Family this past 2 years. StepFather (made of iron, said my goodbyes 3yrs ago and he's still going), Father InLaw (one year into treatment) plus a 12 year old Cousin that has Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.

I found people hate to hear that you are in there thoughts. They are tired of hearing it.

I don't really feel that way. Not once during my diagnoses, treatment or now with this new issue have I felt annoyed or bothered by people saying I'm in their thoughts. I think it's nice to hear, especially when it comes from a community of people you may not know that well but they care enough to take the time to post their support.

BlueSteel

Alex, I wanted to make a thread but Del said you had just posted it here.

I chipped in a paltry amount, but hopefully it helps.

I wanted to throw out a quick thanks to Jason, Victor, Alex, Will and Dennis for making a donation. Really means a lot and is going to help with the medical bills and the month of unemployment.

Thanks again guys. <3

Pickman

Keep on keeping on, man. Every person on this rock contributes a thread to the tapestry of human history, and I'm glad yours is still with us.

May16

Jeez, just as soon as you beat cancer, the cancer doppelganger shows up. Welp, you kicked his big brother's ass so I'm sure you can send this new thing packing too. You're a survivor. Go get 'em!

Today marks the one year anniversary of my RPLND surgery. Can't believe it's already been a year, honestly feels like only yesterday. The entire hospital stay was quite challenging, trying to walk and move around with a huge incision in my stomach, not to mention not being able to eat for a week. Don't want to have to go through something like that again!

I'm doing extremely well, and thanks to many amazing people on GAF, I wasn't burdened with a huge amount of hospital bills and was able to relax and focus on my recovery during the 2 month period where I wasn't allowed to work. My recent check ups have been free and clear, and some of side effects, like retrograde ejaculation, that were due to nerves being damaged have gone away!

It took me a while to get back into the swing of things physically. Not until about March of this year was I able to start feeling like myself again but now I'm going to the gym on a regular basis and am in the best shape of my life. Scar is also healing nicely. Here are a few recent photos!

6Ysqvab.jpg

Hs4bKa9.jpg

Thanks again to all of those who have read this thread over the years and commented. It's been quite a journey but I think I'm finally done with this 3 year long battle!

Today marks the one year anniversary of my RPLND surgery. Can't believe it's already been a year, honestly feels like only yesterday. The entire hospital stay was quite challenging, trying to walk and move around with a huge incision in my stomach, not to mention not being able to eat for a week. Don't want to have to go through something like that again!

I'm doing extremely well, and thanks to many amazing people on GAF, I wasn't burdened with a huge amount of hospital bills and was able to relax and focus on my recovery during the 2 month period where I wasn't allowed to work. My recent check ups have been free and clear, and some of side effects, like retrograde ejaculation, that were due to nerves being damaged have gone away!

Gratz! Yeah, the RPLND is a doozy. They basically disembowel you!

And cool your ejaculation got normal so quickly, I couldn't ejaculate for like 2 years!

Staab

Thanks again to all of those who have read this thread over the years and commented. It's been quite a journey but I think I'm finally done with this 3 year long battle!

I'm happy to hear you're doing good now, you look like you're in great shape and I hope you can look forward to a less troubled future and just enjoy your life now.
go you !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom