• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One year ago today I was diagnosed with cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you guys again for all the kind words, they made my day. It was pretty rough yesterday, on an emotional level. Writing this thread and for the first time, detailing my entire journey, was helpful but also stressful. I was a bit of a mess yesterday, but that's okay. Thanks again.

diamount

Banned
Inspiring story dude, damn there was another member on here who also beat cancer. Does anyone remember and can link the thread?

Just wanted to give a quick update. It's been two years now since my diagnoses and I'm feeling better than ever. I have another checkup at the end of this month, with some blood work, CT scan and x-ray. After this checkup, I'll only have to visit the oncologist every 6 months as opposed to every 3. That's exciting news for me as everyday I can move further away from that chapter in my life, but it's something I won't forget because it's made me a stronger person because of it.

I never imaged when I got the call 2 years ago that I would be here, at this point. I was just starting a relationship with my boyfriend Phil and it's crazy for me to think, 2 years later, we're actually living together and starting our own chapter in life. Recently had a meet up with a bunch of Gaffers for C2E2 in Chicago. Here is a recent photo of me with the boyfriend.

A6lN9my.jpg

Thanks again to all my friends for their support, especially Phil and Travis. Love you guys. And of course, everyone who took the time to read this thread a year ago or recently. Means a lot.

Derwind

Big congrats, you've had one hell of a journey and I'm glad you came back to tell us. Very moving.

Cancer is terrible but its a reality. Anyone to come through it and conquer it comes out stronger.

I'm so glad for you and I want to give you all the best wishes I can give your through this one way interface.

Take care.

Really great read. Can I ask when you said it was the most intense pain you ever felt was this because of surgery, going to the bathroom, or what was it?

ibu

I remember reading your initial post on here, I didn't say too much since cancer was affecting my family in so many ways. But tp see your heart, your hope and your determination is one hell of an inspiring thing.

Seeing you now, beating it, with a smile to boot. It's truly inspiring and heart lifting. Keep going, keep doing what you do, and most of all keep on living.

Otherwise the whole fight is worthless.

All the best going forward.

lightus

This would make me all warm and fuzzy if I was capable of feeling such a thing.

Instead, I'll just say: you're welcome.

Is Lollapalooza here yet?

Calibus

Congrats on being a survivor. As I read your story, the diagnosis part read eerily similar to mine. The only difference is that mine was a seminoma and did not spread. I dodged chemo and only had a 3-week course of low-dose radiation. Still sucks though having low T and not being able to bear children, but WTH.

LowerLevel

Wow, somehow missed this thread when originally posted. Huge congrats on surviving and dealing with the entire ordeal! Survivor myself, and I couldn't agree with the beginning of your fourth paragraph more. I found my wife while battling my cancer and completely changed my life. Extremely happy that you are surviving and having happiness in your life (boyfriend). Keep going strong bro!

Sai-kun

Banned
Man, going to that Purity Ring show with you is still one of my highlights of the past few years. I'm really glad that things are going well :) <3 Can't wait to do Lolla again with ya this year! Our crew keeps growing and growing!

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I love feel good threads and the way GAF as a community can be a very positive thread. Happy to share my story with all of you.

Really great read. Can I ask when you said it was the most intense pain you ever felt was this because of surgery, going to the bathroom, or what was it?

Yeah, the surgery and when I went to the bathroom to change before leaving the hospital. Although I was still pretty sore for a couple of weeks, that initial moment of pain when I moved around for the first time was intense.

OP, you actually look the best in the last photo! Congrats!

Aw thanks. My hair really changed and is much thinner and a little curly when it gets longer. I much prefer it this way than before, it was way too thick!

This would make me all warm and fuzzy if I was capable of feeling such a thing.

Instead, I'll just say: you're welcome.

Is Lollapalooza here yet?

Aw, thanks buddy. I wish Lollapalooza was here, we're gonna have an amazing time. Only 2 more months!

Congrats on being a survivor. As I read your story, the diagnosis part read eerily similar to mine. The only difference is that mine was a seminoma and did not spread. I dodged chemo and only had a 3-week course of low-dose radiation. Still sucks though having low T and not being able to bear children, but WTH.

I don't care so much about the children thing, for obvious reasons, but the chemo was pretty rough. Everything else is in working order tho!

Man, going to that Purity Ring show with you is still one of my highlights of the past few years. I'm really glad that things are going well :) <3 Can't wait to do Lolla again with ya this year! Our crew keeps growing and growing!

Purity Ring show was a great time, even if it was during my chemo. Really was a highlight of those 3 months. :)

rokkerkory

wow man, what a story... glad you are ok!!! Great way to face life ending situation with such positivity. Admire you for that.

Tobe

holy shit dude, congrats and you are an example of how to live life. im happy for you and keep on rocking bro. grats on you recovery and relationship hoping that it last a life time :)

M3d10n

I had both testicles operated once and the cut is made a bit bellow the belt line, so anything that makes your lower abs muscles contract causes pain and discomfort until everything heals, getting up from bed included as it increases blood pressure in your lower body. Laughing and coughing was like being stabbed for a few days.

asvpxjad

Banned
This scares me because for the last year and a half I've had discomfort in my left testicle.. Went to the doctor and he did a physical and said all was fine.. I've had blood tests recently and all was fine, but still the discomfort scares me. Hurts kind of.

Edit: oh yeah, congrats on beating cancer dude!

Amazing story! Miracles are indeed amazing when they happen some of the darkest times in your life. I've experienced what a miracle truly is, and it's the greatest feeling ever to become triumphant and overcome the obstacle that you had to face to get it.

Wow congrats on the 8 months man! That hospital bill sounds sooo crippling. It's amazing that it was paid off by charity.

Good to hear how you're living your life now.

Koobion

I am also a survivor of this cancer. I don't want to make this about me or anything, so I will keep this very brief.

Long story short, I was diagnosed during spring break of my senior year of high school. I had an orchiectomy nearly immediately, but I was unfortunate to discover that the cancer had made its way elsewhere; it spread to my liver, hip and spine. I graduated high school in 2008, and it wasn't until summer of 2013 that I was entirely rid of the horrible affliction. I can't even begin to go into detail about what happened throughout that span of time; it included 3 major surgeries, a diabolical chemo schedule, radiation, and lots of pain.

Without a doubt the worst of it was when I was receiving chemo as an in-patient for weeks at a time, nonstop. The chemo and radiation have done a lot of damage to me, most notably of which is the nerve damage from the Platinum based chemo. It has truly done a number on me emotionally and mentally too. That "chemo brain" stuff is for real.

I apologize if this was too long or anything. I just really like reaching out whenever I see somebody who has gone through a similar hell, and beat it!

Shredderi

I am also a survivor of this cancer. I don't want to make this about me or anything, so I will keep this very brief.

Long story short, I was diagnosed during spring break of my senior year of high school. I had an orchiectomy nearly immediately, but I was unfortunate to discover that the cancer had made its way elsewhere; it spread to my liver, hip and spine. I graduated high school in 2008, and it wasn't until summer of 2013 that I was entirely rid of the horrible affliction. I can't even begin to go into detail about what happened throughout that span of time; it included 3 major surgeries, a diabolical chemo schedule, radiation, and lots of pain.

Without a doubt the worst of it was when I was receiving chemo as an in-patient for weeks at a time, nonstop. The chemo and radiation have done a lot of damage to me, most notably of which is the nerve damage from the Platinum based chemo. It has truly done a number on me emotionally and mentally too. That "chemo brain" stuff is for real.

I apologize if this was too long or anything. I just really like reaching out whenever I see somebody who has gone through a similar hell, and beat it!

Damn that sounds super rough and I'm sorry to hear about the longterm damage done by the treatment but goddamn am I happy that you survived the whole ordeal! My stepfather was diagnosed with this cancer when I was a kid and he was only 30 but it had already spread to his lungs so he didn't make it.

So glad for OP beating this too. All the best to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom