• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oninaki (Tokyo RPG Factory, Nintendo Direct announcement)

Punished Miku

Gold Member

I didn't see too many people discussing this game so I thought I'd make a thread. I was really intrigued by what I saw.

Looks like they're addressing some of the biggest complaints about their games, and have a more distinctive visual style this time with more heavily stylized shadows, and menus that don't look cheap anymore.

The story seems extremely interesting to me, focused on reincarnation and avoiding discussion of the dead. You get to switch between two worlds, which never gets old for me in games.

And it's hard to tell from the trailer, but the gameplay almost looks like a real time action RPG this time.

Anyone else excited?

Vawn

Banned
I thought I Am Setsuna was good, not great. Lost Sphear with the shameless reused assets and price of $50 really turned me off, so I never played it.

This looks promising, but I'd prefer turn-based combat.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

The English story synopsis starts at 15:59.

Looks like you mostly control a single character, and summon dead spirits to augment your powers.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I like the visuals and the gameplay looks fun. I’m definitely keep my eye on this.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
LOL as soon as I saw the close-up of a blurry low-res texture I thought “this has to be Tokyo RPG Factory.”

Anyway this looks better than their previous two games (which isn’t saying much). Combat looks fun. I have zero expectations so maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Exentryk

The turn-based combat used to be the main lure for me from this studio. The real time action makes me put this in the sale bin.

Mr Hyde

I´m down for this. Will probably wait for impressions before I seal the deal, but so far it is looking quite good. The action based combat looks very fun and the visuals stand out a lot more than their previous outings. Reminds me of 16/32-bit glory days of rpgs.

Shifty

I'm wary of Tokyo RPG Factory's output after their last two outings came a bit too close to their production line namesake.

We'll see how they do.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Regardless if it will turn out good or bad i think we need more games like this.
I´m down for this. Will probably wait for impressions before I seal the deal, but so far it is looking quite good. The action based combat looks very fun and the visuals stand out a lot more than their previous outings. Reminds me of 16/32-bit glory days of rpgs.
Personally it reminds me more of the PS2 era JRPGs.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Regardless if it will turn out good or bad i think we need more games like this.

Personally it reminds me more of the PS2 era JRPGs.
Ehhh the last thing we need is mediocre throwback JRPGs that aren’t nearly as good as the classics they’re trying to emulate.

I’m hoping that they manage to do something interesting AND execute it well AND have it feel fun and rewarding across the 10s of hours that the game lasts.

This studio is lucky to still exist after two so-so games. This might be their last chance to do something great.

Fbh

Despite the lack of turn based combat this looks like their most interesting game yet.

But I'll wait and see. Staying true to their names their games really feel like soulless "retro" JRPG's made in a factory.
Hopefully this is a bit different

sublimit

Banned
Ehhh the last thing we need is mediocre throwback JRPGs that aren’t nearly as good as the classics they’re trying to emulate.

I’m hoping that they manage to do something interesting AND execute it well AND have it feel fun and rewarding across the 10s of hours that the game lasts.

This studio is lucky to still exist after two so-so games. This might be their last chance to do something great.

From my perspective the most important thing is that we need more mid-tier JRPGs. Of course not all of them will be successful and not all of them will be liked by everyone. But mid-tier games often offer some unique ideas and concepts that we don't see in bigger games (or even indies anymore) and may cater to gamers who like genres and styles that may have been long since gone. For example From Software as a studio had lots of ups and downs before they became successful with the Souls series and the same goes for Squaresoft before Final Fantasy. If they had stopped doing what they wanted we would have never seen Demon's Souls or Final Fantasy. The important thing is to somehow keep at it and the good games will come IMO.

I'm fine with either turn-based or action-oriented combat as long as they try to make it fresh and engaging. However, this game seems kinda underwhelming imo. That said, I'm glad Tokyo RPG Factory is working on a new game. I hope they try to make the setting varied and interesting as well as tell a good story.

Oninaki sounds like Annunaki :lollipop_beaming_smiling:

kunonabi

Out of curiosity (i'm not judging you, i also love turn based combat) do you only play turn based games?

Mostly. I've given several games with action/faux mmorpg combat a chance and i haven' t enjoyed any of them outside of Xenoblade X and the Last Story and even then I only tolerated the combat because i loved the other elements so much.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm looking forward to it. I loved I Am Setsuna, and Lost Sphear was alright (but not great).

This looks really good though.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I think this looks like their best effort yet. The only thing that turned me off in the footage was those crappy looking dialogue boxes and fonts.

It's not like Square doesn't have a tradition in action based RPG combat with the likes of Mana to say they're straying from the original intent of the studio.

But this looks different too, more weighty than just Zelda-like, at least with the larger weapons. Hopefully it will turn out good for the duration of the whole journey.

Last edited:
Top Bottom