• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only a few days until Xbox Series X preorders start and we still don't know how games will look on the worlds most powerful console

Status
Not open for further replies.

anothertech

Loadgate incoming.

Few small time make big time. With all those seconds saved over the next 7 years, I'm gonna run for president. They see.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I feel like we have a much better understanding of what the Series X is than the PS5. Either way, I'm buying both and will see what happens.

splattered

Well there is zero chance the games will look or perform worse than the PS5 which is the same price, so of course i'm going to preorder the Series X. I'm more concerned that we haven't seen a single physical PS5 console anywhere at this point, that is just crazy to me. I'm sure things will be fine with the console but i'm thinking there are only two possibilities here. Trouble with the console, or worry that the general population will be put off by its size if they see it before preordering.

Orky

Banned
Pre-orders are open for a console that we still haven’t seen outside renders. It’s crazy times.

This would actually scare me much much more. But games on the hardware itself? Meh.
It’s basically just a PC. Doesn’t really matter.
It’s not like the old consoles anymore.

For the hardware ...There's a thing called COVID dude... Are you expecting Sony and MS to come to your house and show you the console in person ? Of course the only thing you'll be seeing are videos of it...

For Sony, they have shown alot of gameplay running on PS5 , not sure about MS, because I do not care about the Xbox Brand personally.

Last edited:

CamHostage

By your rationale, no one should be ordering PS5s because it was not tested / checked that actually exists and works from someone outside Sony.

That is.... reasonable rationale, is it not?

I mean, both sides of this console cycle have been unusual (blame COVID, sure, yet there was no mobilization to get the word out better on the games in reaction to conditions; how many games are up for pre-order on either console that have had little more than one trailer to show explain they are?), but even when products like an Apple item did a surprise-launch, there was still a press event where somebody touched the thing live before money in the public exchanged hands. And even the obvious parts of this cycle, like somebody having an actual PS5 console and plugging it in or somebody running a real Series X game on an actual Series X console, none of that has happened in public yet, weirdly.

We're still 2 months away, and at some point this unusual process will level out and I'm confident these fears will be assuaged (I'm not ludicrously saying that two giant corporations with experience shipping console products multiple times over and an invested interest in the long-tail attachments to their console will play some shell game and ship empty boxes,) but there is a benefit to proper process and we're being asked to pay (albeit with cancelable pre-orders) before process is followed.

If you are comfortable with how this is going, or feel confident in these brands that your buy will be everything you imagine, then feel free to do whatever you want with your money. But it's very atypical and IMO not a good thing that so much is not being presented in real, physical, working form before pre-orders are taken.

Last edited:

sixamp

You absolutely know how they will look, if you don't then you're in the wrong hobby. Just because you haven't seen a game running on the box doesn't mean with those specs we don't know what to expect. I'll break it down for you.... Good graphics .

onQ123

Well there is zero chance the games will look or perform worse than the PS5 which is the same price, so of course i'm going to preorder the Series X. I'm more concerned that we haven't seen a single physical PS5 console anywhere at this point, that is just crazy to me. I'm sure things will be fine with the console but i'm thinking there are only two possibilities here. Trouble with the console, or worry that the general population will be put off by its size if they see it before preordering.

image0.png

LordOfChaos

They did show Halo

Running on a PC without publicly disclosed specs other than it was targeting Series X performance. Sony did that once last showcase but everything after was on the PS5 itself iirc.

It is odd that so close to launch we're not seeing more running on final hardware. Hellblade 2 but that was running iirc 70% of 4K and 60% of 30fps or something, not a final game target at some 40% of 4K30.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
The games are there and they will look the same running on the console. I'm as worried as PS5 fans about no one seeing a live PS5 in the wild. Is Sony embarrassed about the size? Is it still loud?

How do you know it fits in your setup?

don't you hate it when you load a map in a fps on PC, and the game is already technically over?

welcome to xbox

sony's marketing dpt has to be happy...this shit writes itself

Spokker

You absolutely know how they will look, if you don't then you're in the wrong hobby. Just because you haven't seen a game running on the box doesn't mean with those specs we don't know what to expect. I'll break it down for you.... Good graphics .
Nonsense. A third-party needs to be verify how these games run on real hardware. We've seen enough bullshots and trailers that misrepresent a game over the years.

Both Sony and Microsoft need to send their consoles and a stack of games to Digital Foundry with no restrictions on what they can talk about.

splattered

And has Sony shown that in ANY of their promotional videos this year? All they've shown are flashy 3D renders that make it look more appealing. For all we know the guy is this pic is only holding a side plate. You can only see it from one side. We've seen some other pics of the side plate so far and that's it. Sorry, this doesn't count.

LOLCats

Banned
honestly with hardware now more along the lines of PC, launch games are mostly a thing of the past.

when do people get upset because there are no launch games with their 3080s?

Last edited:

Arkam

For XSX games I wouldnt be too worried. I would assume they will look comparable to PS5 versions. XSS on the other hand, I would really wait to see games before pulling the trigger.

Not pre-ordering any Xboxes personally and riding my X1X til more games come

Larvana

so, xbox load times are 12 seconds, and PS5, 1-2 seconds

10 seconds multiplied by 10TF is 100TF sony gains while gamers are actually playing and xbox gpu idle

depending on the game, this could add up fast...oh, and you don't have to spend all night on a load screen, which is nice
Xbox is 10 second, PS5 will be 5. If you think its actually going to be 1-2seconds you're nuts.

NullZ3r0

Banned
so, xbox load times are 12 seconds, and PS5, 1-2 seconds

10 seconds multiplied by 10TF is 100TF sony gains while gamers are actually playing and xbox gpu idle

depending on the game, this could add up fast...oh, and you don't have to spend all night on a load screen, which is nice
Where do you see that Series X games load in 12 seconds. Stop spreading garbage.

MarkMe2525

Op shows no interest in Xbox yet posts another concerned thread. Not knocking the question, but it's not available for preorder yet. MS still have a few days to "leak" some more info.

Xbox is 10 second, PS5 will be 5. If you think its actually going to be 1-2seconds you're nuts.

demon's souls loaded in 0.8 seconds in the video i watched...im a nintendo guy, and i'm legit blown away

i saw a video that took 12 seconds somewhere, ill try and find it

id love to see xbox load in .8s, at 12TF, that would be awesome

but i don't...all i see is fanboy damage control

JLB

Banned
That is.... reasonable rationale, is it not?

I mean, both sides of this console cycle have been unusual (blame COVID, sure, yet there was no mobilization to get the word out better on the games in reaction to conditions; how many games are up for pre-order on either console that have had little more than one trailer to show explain they are?), but even when products like an Apple item did a surprise-launch, there was still a press event where somebody touched the thing live before money in the public exchanged hands. And even the obvious parts of this cycle, like somebody having an actual PS5 console and plugging it in or somebody running a real Series X game on an actual Series X console, none of that has happened in public yet, weirdly.

We're still 2 months away, and at some point this unusual process will level out and I'm confident these fears will be assuaged (I'm not ludicrously saying that two giant corporations with experience shipping console products multiple times over and an invested interest in the long-tail attachments to their console will play some shell game and ship empty boxes,) but there is a benefit to proper process and we're being asked to pay (albeit with cancelable pre-orders) before process is followed.

Yes, as a general rule I agree with that. And Apple and their keynotes are definitely a good example.
Having said that, there's a degree of reasonable doubt. Like, we can reasonably assume that both consoles will actually run games, even without having factual evidence of such thing reviewed by independent sources.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Where do you see that Series X games load in 12 seconds. Stop spreading garbage.
I’m not even sure what he’s doing in this thread trolling about load times. There’s a whole other thread for that if that’s what he wants to keep going on about.

CrysisFreak

Banned
As a PS fan, who cares at this point. Seems the first year is not gonna be insane anyway in either camp.
Unironically the biggest upgrade is the SSD. Fuck loading times so much. I am just tired of them at this point.
Can't wait for that basic next-gen upgrade that will finally deal with that issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom