• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only nerds hate Halo

rip.jpg

Chrono

Banned
Tellaerin said:
Heh. There are just as many Western game zealots around here as there are Japanophiles, and if anything, they tend to be even louder and more belligerent. Guess that's OK, though, huh?

Of course! :lol

(seriously there’s another forum where most of these posters express their views ‘honestly’ and it’s not hard to see a pattern here.)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It is of course in no way possible that people who present themselves as Real Manjocks on the Internet are really the nerds who desperately wanted to be the jocks in high school and now are living out their fantasies on teh intarweb ;)

(Or as somebody I know put it "engaging in B1FF cosplay".)

iapetus said:
Not true. I hate Halo (along with most other FPS titles), and I'm not an elitist.
It's true that not ALL people who hate Halo 2 are elitist pricks. You may not be, but I am. And damn proud of it.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
evilromero said:
Scholars maintain that only frat boys and High School dropouts smoking weed from coke cans play Halo 2. But the rest of that article just muddies up the water. Nintendo fans find satisfaction from the occasional classic Russian novel coupled with hours of discussion at the local campus corner cafe about the dangers of religion, while the Saken Denatsu no Tsunaji Naga Waka 2 fans seem to find Grisham divine and anime somehow interesting. PS2/Xbox fan's brains are the 1/3 the size of ours; it's science.

I really don't know how accurate this is but:

:lol

EBwiz

LakeEarth said:
How else are you supposed to take down Wraiths, unless you have a missle launcher?

And yes, in Goldeneye you could have way more than 2 weapons at a time.

Missle launcher on wraiths works fine for me. I do use vehicles occasionally though, usually to take out other missles (Circle strafeing tanks in the phantom gets on people's nerves)

LakeEarth

EBwiz said:
Missle launcher on wraiths works fine for me. I do use vehicles occasionally though, usually to take out other missles (Circle strafeing tanks in the phantom gets on people's nerves)
That's exactly what I said. Unless you have the missle launcher. But it's just easier to get into a ghost and constnatly shoot it till it's dead.
There's a section near the end of the game where you HAVE to use the ghost. There's like wraiths and ghosts coming to you on the left, guys trying to snipe you on top, and brutes running up to you... without the ghost you'd be fucked so fast.

Ramirez said:
Um,I know in TS you could carry a boatload of weapons and Im pretty sure GE was the same way.Im talking about ONLY carrying two weapons Shadow....

I thought you were talking about Dual Wielding.

In that case, Rainbow Six. PC, PSX.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Tellaerin said:
Heh. There are just as many Western game zealots around here as there are Japanophiles, and if anything, they tend to be even louder and more belligerent. Guess that's OK, though, huh?

I don't mind it because I am hopelessly biased towards western games and I generally agree with whatever CrimsonSkies or anybody with a Halo avatar says.

wunko

I dont think Halo is nerdy anymore as it has gotten a lot of casual people to play games, but even for me im not into Halo. Just doesnt impress me as much as some other FPS games.

HokieJoe

peedi said:
I've found that fans of the genre -- those who've played NOLF, Deus Ex, CoD, Serious Sam, et. al. -- are the series' most vocal critics.

That's odd. I loved NOLF and COD. Serious Sam 1 and 2 were off the hook. YET, I still like Halo. I guess I'm the statistical outlier.

Flynn

I like Halo okay, but seriously:

Many Halo Fans = Nerds who don't know they're nerds.

I've posited this theory before, but it seems very germane here.

Halo (and pretty much all online gaming) is a newfangled combination of tag and cosplay.

When you play Halo you dress up in superhero costumes with your friends and play "tag-you're-it" for points until somebody wins.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
RagingHeamtoma said:
The whole time reading this, I was thinking of GAF.

The article describes 75% of the people who post here.

Thats true, and thats why there is so much damage control here. I cant believe people truly hold these opinions and yet still disagree when they are called out.

Simple fact is that Halo and Halo 2 were outstanding games. Even if you dont like them, or its not your thing - they are still polished and so well formulated that to call them anything else just shows how immature you are.

I dont like games like Mario, zelda, Jak, R+C etc but i can still appreciate the quality of what they do.

Prine

Banned
HAha +1 respect for SA

Love the part where he rips up japanophiles, everything he said was true

85 percent of GAF am cry ;_;

EBwiz

I haven't seen a single Japanophile in this thread yet. I've seen people who don't see what made Halo so fantastic, and I've seen people like me who aren't as big on the western game philosophy, but not once have I seen one person go blatantly out of their way to bash all western games, and announce some kind of ice cream social for those who agree Japan will one day take over our capitalist nation because everyone in the world halts American commerce by purchasing the 'obviously' better Japanese products, and believe that they will be over seeing the execution of thousands because they're obviously, not American too.

Seriously, I know Japanophiles. They don't really think like that, but you'd believe they would just by talking to them for five minutes. If you think anyone here is a Japanophile, then from what I've seen, you're pretty damn shallow, or just not open minded enough to believe as good of a game or *gasp* better could possibly be made in another country, which makes you pretty much just as bad as a Japanophile. Seriously, there's a problem with sensationalist xenocentrism, but to say there's nothing wrong with sensationalist ethnocentrism is just a double standard. That being said, Good Japanese games rock, good American games rock, all crappy games suck, and Halo is a good game, which some think are over rated, and some don't. End of thread.

Rorschach

Ramirez said:
Balance helps?Balance is key in FPS games. :lol

Balance in weaponry is what makes Halo stand out from "all those other shooters".

Balance? Like...plasma pistol + rifle balance? Like no real downsides for sniper rifle?

Not to mention it has the best music of this gen :D
*insert Hoobastank track here*

I keed. Besides that crappy obligatory track that came out of nowhere in-game, I think the music is pretty damn good. The Halo theme rocks.

btw- wtf kind of people do you people expect to read internet gaming forums? Jocks? :lol

Everyone here is either a nerd or a closet nerd. Especially the regulars.

EBwiz

Hence the apology.

Seriously though, it's nice to see a switch up on this thread for once. Proves it isn't 'just' Japanophiles that don't see what makes Halo the best.

I am sorry that my first post here is so simple and dumb, but who cares :)

Halo was a great game and the only one really playable Xbox game back then...

Halo 2 is medicore overhyped MS-score-payed game.

Half-Life 2 is the truly best FPS last year.

Half-Life 2 is better than Halo 2.

Metal Gear Solid 3 is the best game this generation...

I didn't even put GTA:SA DVD in my PS2 console.

Phew... The world feels better now :)

Bob White

Halo was a great game and the only one really playable Xbox game back then...

Halo 2 is medicore overhyped MS-score-payed game.

Half-Life 2 is the truly best FPS last year.

Half-Life 2 is better than Halo 2.

Metal Gear Solid 3 is the best game this generation...

Saying all of that doesn't make you a bad person.

I didn't even put GTA:SA DVD in my PS2 console.

But this DOES make you a bad person. SHAME!

Top Bottom