• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only nerds hate Halo

909er

koam said:
Half the people who like Halo don't know why they do. (In reference to casuals)

That's pretty stupid thing to say. they like it because it's alot of fun. The same reason we all like games, I'm assuming.

Ramirez

I don't hate Halo. I like Halo. I just don't think it really brings anything new to the table. It's a pretty standard First Person Shooter. There's nothing special about it, or at least, I don't really see it. Granted, the story is better than the majority of FPS games (Half Life 2 aside), but that's about it. As a game... pretty generic, at least IMO.

It couldn't be because it's one of the most balanced games ever could it?Nah!

Half the people who like Halo don't know why they do. (In reference to casuals)

Half of the people who don't like it just fuckin suck at it!Blanket statements rule!

EBwiz

Balance helps, but that's very subtle. I won't deny that it isn't balance with the game, it's extremely solid actually. That's why it's a good game. But the difference between a good game (For a game to be good, it needs balance) and a great game is that extra something that wows me. Halo doesn't have that.

Ramirez

Balance helps?Balance is key in FPS games. :lol

Balance in weaponry is what makes Halo stand out from "all those other shooters".

Not to mention it has the best music of this gen :D

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
EBwiz said:
On American games, I'm just tired of the mass amounts of FPS and real time strategies. There's barely anything original made in America these days. (Notice that I say barely.) That last paragraph in SA is pretty crappy, being Disgaea's main girl only looks twelve (SD style does that) and has pretty damn good gameplay. (though Tactics and Shining Force are both better grid strategies IMO, least Disgaea's funny though) Anyway, I wouldn't say nerds hate Halo, and I wouldn't say American games are so much worse, there's just a dry spell on creativity most, not all, of the time.

:lol

Right, the west just recycles generic game forms while the east is a paragon of creativity and new ideas! The west hasn't produced any new or unique gameforms over the past few years, it's all been from Japan!

I swear, if Japan was a huge cock, half of GA would permanently be sucking it.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
EBwiz said:
Wow, you even bolded barely and still seemed to skip right over it. Now that's talent.

No, I don't care if you feel the west "barely" creates anything new or original at all. The very fact that you seem to hold up the far east as some area that cultivates new and original ideas while the west as some area that mostly churns out crappy sequels or derivative games is retarded. There's an equal amount of derivative crap on the far east - but as long as you put biggy anime-style eyes and a short skirt on a Japanese school girl, it's great art and creative. Give me a break.

EBwiz

You take some general comments to heart a bit too much. Games are released like it's nothing in Japan, and the majority of them are pretty bad... alright, extremely bad. But at the same time, you can't deny the over abundance of first person shooters and real time strategies (mainly first person shooters) that are released all the time here, with only small variations between them. I'm not going to deny Japanese games don't do the same thing, especially when we're talking sequels, but when a new series is announced, generally it brings something new to the table. America has it's occasional switch up too, mainly with Ubisoft (when they, too, aren't doing sequels) but if we put creativity as a ratio (If it could be measured so logically), I have a good feeling Japan would have the upper hand.

lexy

I don't really see the Halo hate that the article talks about. If they replaced the word "Halo" with "Grand Theft Auto" or even any game made by EA Sports then I'd agree.

rastex

Banned
EBwiz said:
From the perspective of a future game designer who wants to make Japanese quality American games:

I don't hate Halo. I like Halo. I just don't think it really brings anything new to the table. It's a pretty standard First Person Shooter. There's nothing special about it, or at least, I don't really see it. Granted, the story is better than the majority of FPS games (Half Life 2 aside), but that's about it. As a game... pretty generic, at least IMO.

Instead of future, put aspiring.

And good luck with that, with your current perspective on games I don't think you're going to go very far.

Halo is overrated. That's a fact, only a fanboy ass would say otherwise.

Other than that, it's also one of the best multiplayer experience to be had this gen and shows quality.

peedi

Banned
Littleberu said:
WTF, I don't like Halo, but I still like Western Games. SA is so dumb.

Agreed. Not only that, I love FPS, but hate both Halo installments. The series is exceedingly generic, offering drab level design, an incoherent plot, and the most conventional gameplay to be found in the genre. It's a plodding corridor romp accompanied by above average AI. Yay.

EBwiz

Thank you for the encoruagement, and advice. Currently am going the route of trying to start with a small company of my own with a few friends. We have alot of great ideas and talent that will hopefully come to fruitation. I don't expect my over the top philosophies (The American Game one is actually rather small. Don't even get me started on interactivity) to make it far in the current market, but if all else fails, I'd be content just opening up my own Video Game/Comic Book store somewhere in the US. Always good to have back up.

Chrono

Banned
Jesus that guy is about to have a heart attach because not everybody likes halo.

*goes to check on ebgames Phantom Brave order* :D

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
peedi said:
Agreed. Not only that, I love FPS, but hate both Halo installments. The series is exceedingly generic, offering drab level design, an incoherent plot, and the most conventional gameplay to be found in the genre. It's a plodding corridor romp accompanied by above average AI. Yay.

peedi said:
God of War Gamespot review
Views: 3,995 Posted By peedi

Unlike Ninja Gaiden, this game actually sounds fun.

peedi said:
Some unkown game called God of War has been reviewed by IGN.
Views: 4,767 Posted By peedi

2005 is shaping up to the year of the PS2.

peedi said:
IGN: PS3 is much more powerful than Xenon
Views: 11,487 Posted By peedi

SWEET! PS3 continues to impress.

peedi said:
Who owns all three consoles?
Views: 2,361 Posted By peedi

I own a PS2 and Xbox. I hardly ever touch the Xbox, as there just isn't anything worth playing on the system

peedi said:
Can you feel it?? The system wars approach... Can GAF withstand the storm?
Views: 2,386 Posted By peedi

Every indicator points to the PS3 being more than a few steps ahead of the Xbox180.

peedi said:

Most of the optimism (hate?) I've seen comes from Xbox fans who cringe at the likelihood of another ass-whooping by Sony. These people are acting as if Sony hasn't had the most successful console...

peedi said:

Why should Microsoft sell significantly more? Because the Xbox180 will be first to market? That really helped the Dreamcast.

peedi said:
GT4 Vs Forza vid: FLAME ON
Views: 3,901 Posted By peedi

From what I've seen, GT4's lighting and shadowing looks beyond what Forza delivers. Most distressing, however, is the framerate of M$'s upcoming racer. 30 fps is unacceptable.

peedi said:
FEB NPD DATA
Views: 21,671 Posted By peedi

40 million is a conservative estimate???? Dude, M$ will be lucky to achieve, much less top, 30 million.

peedi said:
FEB NPD DATA
Views: 21,671 Posted By peedi

Microsoft is going to sell 40 million next gen?

peedi said:
Microsoft Reveals First Details of Next-Generation Xbox
Views: 17,636 Posted By peedi

More like the next Dreamcast: less powerful, premature debut, stunted developer interest.

peedi said:
Microsoft Reveals First Details of Next-Generation Xbox
Views: 17,636 Posted By peedi

The Xbox brand stands little chance of displacing Sony's, so I really wouldn't worry about it.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Yes, he's a raving nut with as much significance as a fart in the wind when it comes to console bias. You'll notice there is rarely a response worth the trouble.

EBwiz

I'd like to say "Maybe Hate The Game, not the Console" applies in Peedi's case, but I could be wrong here.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Only elitist pricks hate Halo

Halo is too mainstream now so they gotta hate it

IT'S GOOD TO HATE TOGETHER

p.s. bungie rox

Wario64 said:
Only elitist pricks hate Halo

Halo is too mainstream now so they gotta hate it

IT'S GOOD TO HATE TOGETHER

p.s. bungie rox

WTF, I like GTA, and it's mainstream, and I'm an elitist prick.

Tellaerin

thorns said:
I don't consider videogames art and find the notion pretentious as hell. The only game I could call "art" is Planescape: Torment, and that is only because of the writing.

If I design a unique character, compose music, paint a landscape, write a script, or engage in any other form of traditional creative activity, most people will agree that the result is art. Whether or not it's good art can be debated, but not how the work in question is classified. Yet according to you, if any of the creations in question finds its way into a game, it's magically transformed into something that's not art, because you say so? Sorry, but I find that notion pretentious as hell.

Modern videogames are a multidisciplinary artform. Some I would liken to fine art, while others are more like commercial art, with no (intentional) deeper underlying message, but in no case are they less than the sum of their parts.

peedi

Banned
I've found that fans of the genre -- those who've played NOLF, Deus Ex, CoD, Serious Sam, et. al. -- are the series' most vocal critics.

bitwise

Banned
peedi said:
I've found that fans of the genre -- those who played NOLF, Deus Ex, CoD, Serious Sam, et. al. -- are the series' most vocal critics.

you forgot "blind xbox haters". Those guys are pretty vocal as well.

EBwiz

Bitwise,

Anyway, I've never hated Halo, but I don't find it really revolutionary or new, or anything. It's just, good. I don't think that makes me elitist, especially since I thought so before it was as huge as it is now.

peedi said:
words words words words words words words words
45139431.gif

Thank you Cerrius for the INTERNET DETECTIVE work. You get a tag of your choosing! Today marks the beginning of the Mike Works: BAN ALL FANBOYS invitational- if you find someone posing as a poster whose opinion should be worth a damn, and unearth a half dozen or so posts showing they clearly don't fall into that category, post it in the thread, and good things will happen!

Ramirez

Who gives a damn if its revolutionary?I get so sick of that term,there hasn't been anything truly revolutionary in years.

android

Theoretical Magician
Mike Works said:
45139431.gif

Thank you Cerrius for the INTERNET DETECTIVE work. You get a tag of your choosing! Today marks the beginning of the Mike Works: BAN ALL FANBOYS invitational- if you find someone posing as a poster whose opinion should be worth a damn, and unearth a half dozen or so posts showing they clearly don't fall into that category, post it in the thread, and good things will happen!
Mike thank you so much.

EBwiz

Revolutionary and new are two different things. Hell, even rehashing can have a new spin on things. Halo doesn't even give something old a new feel. It's something old that feels like something old. Sure, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but it's not going to make me rate it any higher than I would other first person shooters of that calibur.

Ramirez

Carrying just two weapons wasn't something new?I can't recall any FPS that did that on consoles.

Vehicles in FPS done right wasn't something new in console FPS?

Dude just stop while you're ahead.

Ramirez said:
Carrying just two weapons wasn't something new?I can't recall any FPS that did that on consoles.

Goldeneye on the N64. Timesplitters on PS2.

I hate the fact that you made me mention Goldeneye, asshole.

EBwiz

I use vehicles rather rarely in Halo, don't see the point. Personal preference, really. I also wouldn't call limiting the number of weapons one can hold at a time a big step foreward in the genre, though granted it's alot more realistic. And before you even mention it, co-op play was an awesome feature, I'll admit that. Overall though, I don't really see anything new with the scope of the game. It's good, I'm not bashing it, but it's not GOTY, as some gamers would have you believe, at least, to me anyway.

Ramirez

Um,I know in TS you could carry a boatload of weapons and Im pretty sure GE was the same way.Im talking about ONLY carrying two weapons Shadow....

LakeEarth

EBwiz said:
I use vehicles rather rarely in Halo, don't see the point.
How else are you supposed to take down Wraiths, unless you have a missle launcher?

And yes, in Goldeneye you could have way more than 2 weapons at a time.

VALIS

This is my favorite thread in a while. It started off with a very funny and true SA article, someone said, "I swear, if Japan was a huge cock, half of GA would permanently be sucking it," and Mike just banned Peedi. A+++

Tellaerin

Nerevar said:
I swear, if Japan was a huge cock, half of GA would permanently be sucking it.

Heh. There are just as many Western game zealots around here as there are Japanophiles, and if anything, they tend to be even louder and more belligerent. Guess that's OK, though, huh?

Top Bottom