• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ONM April 2013 Review Scores (Luigi's Mansion, LEGO, NFS etc)

Raven77

I'm going to make a snap-assumption here that this place basically gives everything great scores...92! 90! oh you made a game, 85!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
FYI Zen Pinball 2 has been getting negative impressions on Wii U due to the table demo interface. It seems the infrastructure for properly downloading demo tables through the main app isn't in place yet.

You have to go to the eshop and manually download each demo table one at a time. Then restart Zen Pinball 2. Then you can try the demo of each table, and pay for them. But each table is also limited to a very short play time, like 1 minute... rather than until you reach the first default high score.

So it's a presentation and organization issue. Otherwise I've read the port is flawless, no problems with graphics, sound, or framerate. Plus there's offscreen play, I assume.

noal

Banned
Looks like nearly every screenshot of the Need for Speed review is a bullshot. There is a couple of the Gamepad but...

...Arrgghh, why did NGamer have to die?

I can't stand ONM. Official magazines are a 110 page advertisement. I can't trust the reviews, there doesn't appear to be any humour and I'm sure I could find more personality in a banana. I only have a subscription because they swapped me over when NGamer died but it looks like my long history with games mags is about to end. Shame.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Why not? It's really good.

I'm not going to sit here and argue "AW MAN, THEY WERE CLEARLY PAID OFF" or "THEY ARE SOOOO BIASED" or something equally overblown, they may have genuinely enjoyed it. But from what I've played, if that's the quality that earns a 82, I'm inclined to take their reviews with a grain of salt.

It's like if I had a had a friend who came up to me and said "Naw man, I think Transformers 3 was really underrated by a lot of people...", I'm not going to take that friend's opinion on movies very seriously.

Honest question here, are people dismissing Castlevania because theyve played the final game and its bad or just becuase of seen videos and previews? Has it already relased?

JDSN

Banned
Honest question here, are people dismissing Castlevania because theyve played the final game and its bad or just becuase of seen videos and previews? Has it already relased?

The answer is quite obvious, I think that most people as fan of the old games can see with a couple of videos the issues of this game and how do they reflect in the gameplay and their expectations of what a Castlevania game is.

Basically, its the same thing as Tomb Raider, a buch of dumb changes made to appeal to a wide fanbase turn a fan favorite into something functional, but far diferent to be considered a Castlevania game.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate – 92%
Fist of the North Star: Ken’s Rage 2 – 32%
LEGO City: Undercover – 90%
Luigi’s Mansion 2 – 92%
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS) – 88%
Need for Speed: Most Wanted U – 90%
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 (DS) – 71%
Zen Pinball 2 – 68%

I'd love to read the reviews to see the justifications for these scores, will be hilarious.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Basically, its the same thing as Tomb Raider, a buch of dumb changes made to appeal to a wide fanbase turn a fan favorite into something functional, but far diferent to be considered a Castlevania game.

Except Tomb Raider is a great game even though it isn't really "Tomb Raider". Going by the demo, the same can't be said about Mirror of Fate.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
FYI Zen Pinball 2 has been getting negative impressions on Wii U due to the table demo interface. It seems the infrastructure for properly downloading demo tables through the main app isn't in place yet.

You have to go to the eshop and manually download each demo table one at a time. Then restart Zen Pinball 2. Then you can try the demo of each table, and pay for them. But each table is also limited to a very short play time, like 1 minute... rather than until you reach the first default high score.

So it's a presentation and organization issue. Otherwise I've read the port is flawless, no problems with graphics, sound, or framerate. Plus there's offscreen play, I assume.

That's exactly the problem the review had with the game. They said it was fun, but the amount of effort and time it takes to get an actual table downloaded severely detracts from everything else.

I'd love to read the reviews to see the justifications for these scores, will be hilarious.

The ONM website usually uploads them in a few weeks. www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk

That's exactly the problem the review had with the game. They said it was fun, but the amount of effort and time it takes to get an actual table downloaded severely detracts from everything else.
Then they shouldn't have reviewed the game yet. ONM is a pretty bad publication. They always slap low scores onto downloadable games, regardless of quality, then shower first party exclusives with unconditional praise.

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny
Pretty funny that people who don't follow ONM at all dismiss the magazine as biased because they have a month of positive reviews. In a month with highly anticipated games? PFFT... BIASED FILTH.

Trust me, guys. They just like Castlevania. So do Videogamer. So do Game Informer. So do the Telegraph. So do Pocket Gamer.
It's a particularly good month on Wii U and 3DS so yes, scores are high. Don't confuse personal taste with corruption.

I love to have a go at the gaming media and am fairly vocal when ONM run advertorials. They're not perfect but they get an unfairly bad rep.

Top Bottom