• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OPEC to America: Please don't pump so much oil!

OPEC deserves to sleep in the bed they made.

They didn't stop when we asked them not to fuck us during our recession. We saved those oil for a freaking reason.

They created our recession.

Fuel price hikes are what caused so many people who were just getting by to lose their homes. The choice was between filling their tanks to get to work or pay their other bills. OPEC doubled the price almost overnight. Those mass foreclosures along with small businesses dying out due to increase transportation costs and loss of customers rippling across the entire country caused the recession.

We had shitty practices coming out of the banks (as depicted in The Big Short), but that was the banks' upper management response to the economy collapsing around them. The banks didn't actually cause it, they just responded to it in a very poor manner. They saw the tidal wave coming because they saw the foreclosures before anyone else and chose to get rich off it through insider trading.

OPEC was directly responsible for the US economic collapse.

Even if the banks hadn't been asshats, the waves of foreclosures and losses of small businesses we're still happening. The banks were just a symptom of OPEC's financial attack on the rest of the world.

spwolf

China will get the oil they need, I have no doubt. Worst case (for them) they can buy it from the Americans and Canadians

China is #1 US trading partner and 2nd company to buy US crude export was from China.

It is question of cost though, big Chinese petroleum companies prefer to buy their own oil fields across the world to develop and lower the costs, hence them buying most of the oil from Iraq.

We aren't moving away from it, especially when it's so cheap. If you want people to invest in alternatives, then the price of oil needs to be significantly higher than at what it is at now.

We are. China wants to one-up the US as the world leader in anti-fossil fuels. Reno-fucking-Nevada is becoming Lithium Valley. Swanson's law is shifting from 20% to 30%/40%. They see the writing on the wall.

Fuck'em.

Oil's never gonna be something we don't need, even if we eliminate its use for cars we'll need it for planes. If we somehow magically eliminate its use for planes, we use it for a variety of plastics and other things like tarring for roads. Something like 1/4 of oil produced isn't even used for fuel.

So are you saying that, even assuming your worst case scenario, using 1/4 the oil we use now isn't a worthwhile goal that everyone should be striving for?

Fuel price hikes are what caused so many people who were just getting by to lose their homes. The choice was between filling their tanks to get to work or pay their other bills. OPEC doubled the price almost overnight. Those mass foreclosures along with small businesses dying out due to increase transportation costs and loss of customers rippling across the entire country caused the recession.

We had shitty practices coming out of the banks (as depicted in The Big Short), but that was the banks' upper management response to the economy collapsing around them. The banks didn't actually cause it, they just responded to it in a very poor manner. They saw the tidal wave coming because they saw the foreclosures before anyone else and chose to get rich off it through insider trading.

No, the housing crises and collapse was not primarily fueled by high oil prices, this post is insane.

Anion

I have to wonder if this was Obama's plan to deal with Russia. Maybe that's why They went full on KGB active measures on the US elections and other western powers.
I have wondered this. It honestly appears to be probable. It's always about this damn black gold - even though we are in the brink of renewable resources

Steel

Banned
So are you saying that, even assuming your worst case scenario, using 1/4 the oil we use now isn't a worthwhile goal that everyone should be striving for?

No, that's not what I'm saying. Just saying expecting oil companies to go away is something you shouldn't expect.

Gallbaro

Banned

?

A housing bubble of ridiculous housing prices fueled by cheap credit had nothing to do with it?

?

A housing bubble of ridiculous housing prices fueled by cheap credit had nothing to do with it?
It worked fine as long as people could afford to pay. Doubling the price off oil caused mass foreclosures.

OPEC saw a weakness and started pushing Dominos.

BTW, things are only considered bubbles in hindsight. At the time it was just a great housing market.

gatti-man

There's plenty of investment in alternatives, because they just keep getting cheaper and will continue to get cheaper. The inflection point where alternatives are cheaper than oil all the time without incentives and subsidies is getting nearer every day without the need for higher oil prices.

It's still very very far away. 10 years minimum maybe even longer.

It worked fine as long as people could afford to pay. Doubling the price off oil caused mass foreclosures.

OPEC saw a weakness and started pushing Dominos.

BTW, things are only considered bubbles in hindsight. At the time it was just a great housing market.

The rise in oil prices was caused by the collapse of the dollar as The Fed ramped up quantitative easing

Xe4

Banned
Fuck no, there are third world countries like Colombia who are not in the OPEC and are suffering economic problems due to this shit.

But fuck us, I guess.

Colombia shouldn't have put so much of their economy into such a volatile market. They don't deserve to get fucked, but they really do need to wean off exporting oil being the #1 part of their economy.

samn

Americans complaining about fuel prices. Come visit Europe some time.

Also, it should be expensive considering it pumps poison into the air whenever you burn it.

Z3K

Americans complaining about fuel prices. Come visit Europe some time.

Also, it should be expensive considering it pumps poison into the air whenever you burn it.

The taxes on fuel in Europe drove us to use diesel (which is way more harmful to humans/environment) just so that we can squeeze a few more miles per gallon.

Culex

Banned

Even if the banks hadn't been asshats, the waves of foreclosures and losses of small businesses we're still happening. The banks were just a symptom of OPEC's financial attack on the rest of the world.

Having worked in banking before, during and after the financial crisis, I call bunk on this theory. Banks were doing NINJA loans left and right, and leveraging on securities that had zero value if something went wrong. It was entirely a bubble. The oil prices were just salt on a gaping wound.

Having worked in banking before, during and after the financial crisis, I call bunk on this theory. Banks were doing NINJA loans left and right, and leveraging on securities that had zero value if something went wrong. It was entirely a bubble. The oil prices were just salt on a gaping wound.
OPEC starts shit in 2003.

The crash was in 2008.

The shit the banks pulled was in response to the ground level collapse created by OPEC. They kneecapped the American economy.

Culex

Banned

The crash was in 2008.

The shit the banks pulled was in response to the ground level collapse created by OPEC. They kneecapped the American economy.

No. Repealment of the major line items of Glass Stegal in 1999 was the start of the housing bubble and investable MBS's crash.

Edit - it's not even up for debate. Any finance class in college goes over this right now.

Z3K

The crash was in 2008.

Hmm I wonder what other massive event happened in 2003 that led to this....

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
What? I remember when my dad was bitching about gas going over 1.10, and that was years ago. Late 90s sub-1.25 was normal where I lived.

admittedly i have a hard time remembering the timing of when things happen. you are more than likely right. I guess sub $2 was more like the 2000's?

at some point in my 25+ year driving career that fuel was under a dollar. i won't venture a guess as to when that was but I do remember being able to nearly fill my tank with a tenner

admittedly i have a hard time remembering the timing of when things happen. you are more than likely right. I guess sub $2 was more like the 2000's?
Yep, in 2003/2004 it shot up from ~$2 to the $4-$5 range.

This caused goods and services across the entire economy to increase in cost.

From the boardroom to the butcher, so to speak. Grocery prices, fuel, literally everything.

TarNaru33

Banned
The taxes on fuel in Europe drove us to use diesel (which is way more harmful to humans/environment) just so that we can squeeze a few more miles per gallon.

I could be wrong, but diesel is suppose to be more friendly on the environment.

The crash was in 2008.

I can't tell if you are being serious...

The increase in oil prices that you are mentioning is a result of the Iraq War...

Besides that, you are just spouting nonsense, it isn't oil prices that caused the collapse of the U.S economy which caused a world economic collapse in it's wake. I am pretty certain many economist would of realized what you are saying if that was the case, but it isn't.

iamblades

No. Repealment of the major line items of Glass Stegal in 1999 was the start of the housing bubble and investable MBS's crash.

Edit - it's not even up for debate. Any finance class in college goes over this right now.

It actually is, for a systems failure as large as the 2008 collapse, there is very rarely any one single cause.

Which is not to say that it had anything to do with OPEC or high oil prices either. If anything high oil prices should have prevented or slowed the bubble from growing.

The deregulation may have increased the scale of the problems when the bubble burst, but it wasn't the root cause of the bubble. The bubble was global, so it couldn't have been deregulation in the US that caused it.

The root cause of the bubble was mostly the unprecedented stretch of low interest rates that was also responsible for the dot-com bubble. One bubble burst, but the source of the loose money remains, so it just inflates a new bubble somewhere else. You simultaneously had the US and European central banks running a loose monetary policy while there was a giant savings glut in Asia.

Yes it was.

What do you think caused so many people to default on their loans all of a sudden, at the same time?

Coincidence?

lol people were up to their eyeballs long before oil, which had long been at high levels. It did not cause people to "choose between going to work or paying the mortgage", that was never a phenomenon driving defaults.

I'm not sure what conspiracy website you got this from.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Also, there is no evidence that cheap oil stifles alternative energy innovation and deployment.
Hmm. That's odd.

I'd like to see the research because that goes against basic economic common sense.

That's not to say things don't go against basic economic common sense all the time, but always nice to get confirmation when they do.

Top Bottom