• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OpenAi announces Sora, new text to video AI generation tool

Rat Rage

I think pretty soon we will enter a society where everything online is essentially the virtual world. You don't assume anything you see on a screen as reality, but a alternative dimension. Like a comic book or a fictional tv show.
The only thing people will accept as real are things the can actually see in person.

So in a sense society is going to evolve backwards? We all are going to start talking to each other "in person" more, writing each other physical letters and such? At first glance, it sounds cool, but without a truly free and open internet - or any other means of free and fast distribution of "true information" to the masses -, society / humankind is gonna be fucked. Severe tyranny and depotism could emergy like never thought possible.

Last edited:
So in a sense society is going to evolve backwards? We all are going to start talking to each other "in person" more, writing each other physical letters and such? At first glance, it sounds cool, but without a truly free and open internet - or any other means of free and fast distribution of "true information" to the masses, society / humankind is gonna be fucked. Severe tyranny and depotism could emergy like never thought possible.
Yes, just like what I said about manual labor once again being advantaged over intellectual labor, we will be in some ways going backwards. It won’t be completely like before thought, you can still have communications via encrypted channels with other real people. With the caveat that they are actually people you’ve met in person in real life before. If you meet a person through a screen, you should just assume that person is a bot.

Rat Rage

Yes, just like what I said about manual labor once again being advantaged over intellectual labor

True, to me this is still kinda funny. I mean, for the last couple of decades everyone wanted to be smarter and more educated and were kind of looking down on "regular" people doing "manual labor" and such - and all these people thought they were oh so great & superior... -, just to find out that their very striving for more intelligence and education is gonna be what made them obsolete eventually, forcing them into manual labor and simpler lifestyles again. I hope I live long enough to actually see it happen, and by that I mean the age of the great humbleness of humanity. There is this kind of prometheusian justice to it that kind of tickles me the right way.
And the funniest thing of all is: capitalism - because its very nature is maximally greedy and foolish - is going to drive this change forward like mad and without mercy, and because they are so damn stupid, greedy and short-sighted, they won't even notice how fast they've killed each other. Then again, this might acutally be a chance for humanity to actually evolve further? The more I think about it, the funnier it kinda gets.

Romulus

How is this more convincing than decades of cumulative CGI? I swear even in multimillion dollar movies I catch cgi nonstop but in many of these AI vids it fools my eye near 100%. That's considering the tech hasn't had much time to mature.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
How is this more convincing than decades of cumulative CGI? I swear even in multimillion dollar movies I catch cgi nonstop but in many of these AI vids it fools my eye near 100%. That's considering the tech hasn't had much time to mature.
Not an expert, but I think this is a model based algorithm. So they made it learn how to create things from real life without bias, while CGI is something created by hand and there's prob some bias in terms of how things should look.

But this is incredible.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

It's better because it isn't hand-built like CGI.

CGI = manually modeling objects, shapes, textures and then writing a series of algorithms / shaders to render that scene and light it, etc

generative AI = the generative model directly learns the visual structure & distribution of our world (alongside language that aligns to those images) by consuming billions of labeled images or videos. Then it dreams new combinations of those elements in response to a new set of labels, and it's exactly like a human dreaming, when their mind begins to freely recombine and mix images from the world we know.

The real question to me is: why are we still wasting time on CGI at all, when it will be completely obsolete going forward. Why are major films still hiring CGI teams instead of shifting over to generative engineers and artists who know how to use this tech?

Romulus

Not an expert, but I think this is a model based algorithm. So they made it learn how to create things from real life without bias, while CGI is something created by hand and there's prob some bias in terms of how things should look.

But this is incredible.

I get what you're saying, but even very generic scenes in CGI have a certain weirdness that doesn't look right, or even when they try and model something that already exists it still looks off. Now I'm scrolling through nature subreddits and people are asking if its AI or not. Pretty crazy.

Romulus

It's better because it isn't hand-built like CGI.

CGI = manually modeling objects, shapes, textures and then writing a series of algorithms / shaders to render that scene and light it, etc

generative AI = the generative model directly learns the visual structure & distribution of our world (alongside language that aligns to those images) by consuming billions of labeled images or videos. Then it dreams new combinations of those elements in response to a new set of labels, and it's exactly like a human dreaming, when their mind begins to freely recombine and mix images from the world we know.

The real question to me is: why are we still wasting time on CGI at all, when it will be completely obsolete going forward. Why are major films still hiring CGI teams instead of shifting over to generative engineers and artists who know how to use this tech?

Yeah I just don't know how its fooling the human eyes already. For instance, rendering humans is something that we have trouble with even with deepfakes and countless source material, but somehow this generative AI is creating humans that look 100% real to me.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Yeah I just don't know how its fooling the human eyes already. For instance, rendering humans is something that we have trouble with even with deepfakes and countless source material, but somehow this generative AI is creating humans that look 100% real to me.
It's largely a matter of scale.

Newer network models (transformer-based largely) scale up incredibly well, so now they're able to train them successfully across a very large number of parameters, and parallelize/distribute the training as well.

Plus, rather than simply trying to learn a single task (like replacing a face in much older deepfake models), it's trained on understanding the entire visual world. This means the models learn to be incredibly versatile. They have almost no upper bound now on what they can accomplish by just stacking more layers / parameters and training on even more data.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
True, to me this is still kinda funny. I mean, for the last couple of decades everyone wanted to be smarter and more educated and were kind of looking down on "regular" people doing "manual labor" and such - and all these people thought they were oh so great & superior... -, just to find out that their very striving for more intelligence and education is gonna be what made them obsolete eventually, forcing them into manual labor and simpler lifestyles again. I hope I live long enough to actually see it happen, and by that I mean the age of the great humbleness of humanity. There is this kind of prometheusian justice to it that kind of tickles me the right way.
And the funniest thing of all is: capitalism - because its very nature is maximally greedy and foolish - is going to drive this change forward like mad and without mercy, and because they are so damn stupid, greedy and short-sighted, they won't even notice how fast they've killed each other. Then again, this might acutally be a chance for humanity to actually evolve further? The more I think about it, the funnier it kinda gets.
I've done manual labor and I've done white collor labor.

Both suck ass. I'm not sure which sucks less, and I think that answer probably depends on the individual. I think I just want to not work.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I've done manual labor and I've done white collor labor.

Both suck ass. I'm not sure which sucks less, and I think that answer probably depends on the individual. I think I just want to not work.
Same. I hope the robots take over in our lifetimes so I can retire and play video games.

Top Bottom