• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opening of the National Museum of African American History and Culture

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

I, Too, Sing America [NY Times]

It is located pretty much next to the Washington Monument in Washington DC, and will be opening September 24.
The Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture opens on Sept. 24 in Washington after a long journey. Thirteen years since Congress and President George W. Bush authorized its construction, the 400,000-square-foot building stands on a five-acre site on the National Mall, close to the Washington Monument. President Obama will speak at its opening dedication.

Appropriately for a public museum at the heart of Washington’s cultural landscape, the museum’s creators did not want to build a space for a black audience alone, but for all Americans. In the spirit of Langston Hughes’s poem “I, Too,” their message is a powerful declaration: The African-American story is an American story, as central to the country’s narrative as any other, and understanding black history and culture is essential to understanding American history and culture.
Unusually, the museum had to start from scratch without a collection. It ran an “Antiques Roadshow”-style project in 15 cities that encouraged people to give heirlooms from their closets and attics, and yielded some of the 40,000 objects the museum now holds. About 3,500 artifacts will be on display in the opening exhibitions, many of them treasures donated by ordinary people.
Shackles and an Auction Block
Exhibition text for the shackles reminds visitors that, “Like many other slaveholders, Jefferson owned his own children.”

The slave auction block came from Hagerstown, Md. It was sitting on a street corner on a small patch of grass in front of a gas station.
There's obviously significant areas outlining and displaying slavery and segregation. The museum's lower levels are chronological. The upper level is cultural achievements and contributions.
Donated by Ginette DePreist, Portland, Ore.
Marian Anderson’s jacket and skirt

“I know that she was scared to death. That’s one thing that she kept telling us. Here is this young woman coming from Europe full of hope and sees that she is the object of racial division and found herself in front of 75,000 people on a Sunday morning. By nature, Aunt Marian was very soft-spoken. She really wanted throughout her career to be known as the woman with the golden voice more than the woman who started this movement, and so I don’t think she was very comfortable in that role.”
Photographs and short videos at the link.

The NY Times Arts & Design section has a review of the museum up too, with flowery words but also some details about the architecture, construction, and people behind the project.

An additional article from a week back about some of the politics involved: How the Fight for a National African-American Museum Was Won

Kisaya

Really want to visit it if I get the chance to go to DC. Saw lots of great things from previews and Instagram stories.

That sounds really interesting, I'd love to go to if I was in the US.

I'm sure the usual suspects will be thrilled with this!

Giolon

I saw this under construction in D.C. when I was there two years ago! I'd love to visit this museum if I ever go back.

Edit - Just reading the article with the info about the slavery-era items on display reminds me of visiting the holocaust museum in Hiroshima. It's absolutely horrifying stuff, but all the more essential that it isn't forgotten.

I'm visiting the next time I go back to DC. I have no idea when that will be, but my brother lives there now so maybe in the next year.

LycanXIII

Unique building design compared to the other museums.
22aam-review1-superJumbo.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
I remember having a trip to the holocaust museum in grade school, so i hope this has the same effect. i'll have to stop by there sometime.

tkscz

We have one of these museums here in Cincinnati, nice to see more like it open in other places.

Saw the last stages of construction last year, it's a very unusual design, but there's no way anyone will have to ask where it is, compared to the usual white marble museums on the Mall.

Can't wait to check it out!

Yeah, I just went past it the other day, I had no idea it would be up already. I really really like the design of it. Looking forward to visiting.

Pickman

The outside of the building is absolutely incredible. Amazing piece of architecture. I wish it had been open when I was in DC.

Fuchsdh

Unique building design compared to the other museums.

Not really a fan, but I suppose some people would have been upset if it had a more classical facade. It also still bothers me that these memorial and museum design competitions don't select actual Americans.

My bigger concern is if it actually uses its space effectively. The American Indian Museum is huge but so much of it is actually wasted space, and the tribal input resulted in a rather scattershot experience and exhibits. The only thing I can say with 100% positivity is that the food is good. I hope that they manage to craft a much better experience and showcase for the artifacts this go-around.

I believe renovations of the National Mall are about to end this year, so there's a nice chance to visit the museums I haven't seen, including this

IronRinn

This looks fascinating. And the building looks incredible.

Thomas Jefferson and his slaves A statue of Thomas Jefferson stands in front of a stack of bricks marked with the names of people he owned.
Not messing around.

Edit: Man, the explanation for how the owner of Nat Turner's bible got the bible is pretty much as you would expect.

I believe my great grand father is part of the military exhibit.

IkDcmochjmmpAKM-800x450-noPad.jpg

CPO Hunter enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1902. He served for 33 years during the Jim Crow era of the Navy. He rose up the ranks to Chief Petty Officer (the then highest rank for an enlisted man in the Navy) and in 1942 was recalled to duty at the age of 61.

My father has been working to get him a medal for jumping off his boat to save a fellow sailor but since he served during the segregation era he go nothing.

On September 16, 1925 Fireman Michael Sullivan fell overboard from the destroyer U.S.S. Peary during a typhoon in the South China Sea. In light of the extremely perilous conditions the Commander of the U.S.S Peary ordered the man overboard rescue crew to stand down.
CPO Hunter saw Sullivan struggling and drifting towards the destroyer U.S.S. Pillsbury where he was stationed. Without hesitation or concern for his own life CPO Hunter jumped into the violent South China Sea, without the security of a tether rope, in an effort to rescue him. Following CPO Hunter's lead, two other crewmates from the Pillsbury tethered themselves with ropes, and jumped into the water to help Hunter rescue Sullivan. They recovered Sullivan, and he was pulled aboard ship. Shortly thereafter CPO Hunter grabbed ahold of the legs of one of the other crewmen in the water. While they were being hauled back aboard they were struck by two huge waves. After being stuck by the second wave CPO Hunter was dislodged and swept out to sea. He was eventually hauled back on board. CPO Hunter and his crewmates were issued letters of commendation aboard ship.
During the Jim Crow era, white sailors routinely were awarded either a Medal of Honor or Gold Star for similar life saving attempts. The U.S. Navy did not issue a single medal for similar acts of heroism to any African-American from 1902 up to 1941.

Media

I have a friend that was invited to speak at the opening. I wish I was closers than west coast, I would totally go.

I had a few friends working on the museum as project managers and got to do a tour of the site 2 years ago. It looked really cool. Really interesting building design.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Man this is cool. Next time I hit dc I got to make this a top priority.

Damn,is kanye responsible for this ? Does Bush actually care about black people?! Lol

The photos of the museum look amazing.

Twitter is enraged right now.

I don't understand these comments. Saying "they want us to be ashamed of our country" is the same thing as saying "we have nothing to be ashamed of".

Acknowledging shit in your past is not shaming. It's really nowhere near the same thing at all.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I believe my great grand father is part of the military exhibit.

IkDcmochjmmpAKM-800x450-noPad.jpg

My father has been working to get him a medal for jumping off his boat to save a fellow sailor but since he served during the segregation era he go nothing.

That is awesome he is in the exhibit. I'm glad your grand father can finally get that recognition, he is a hero no doubt.

I'll try to see if I can spot him when I go (after the opening crowds settle).

zelas

I had been cooling on going but this is the kick in the butt I needed to make sure I'm there. I had been trying with no luck to get tickets to the indoor opening ceremony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom