• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion | Diverging paths: Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo's radically different visions

Shin

Banned
After decades of platform holders releasing similar hardware, we should celebrate their new, wildly different visions of gaming's future
We're talking about new hardware from all of the biggest players in the console space this week -- but what different stories we're telling.

Sony undoubtedly stole most of the thunder with its unveiling of selected details of the next-generation PlayStation in a Wired interview with Mark Cerny, but new hardware from both Microsoft and Nintendo is in the spotlight as well; a cheaper Xbox One S that drops the Blu-Ray drive from the former, and a few more hints at a pair of forthcoming Switch revisions from the latter.

Mindful of the fact that this is a very early reveal and there's much we still don't know, I don't want to describe the PlayStation hardware Cerny demonstrated as "conventional," but it's certainly evolutionary. It's a console very much within the lineage of those Sony has produced so far; it will of course be embedded in a services ecosystem that few would have imagined when the original PlayStation rolled out in the mid-1990s, but at its heart this promises to be a powerful, meaningful upgrade to a console paradigm we've all known and understood for over 30 years.

By contrast, Microsoft and Nintendo are moving in quite different directions. Microsoft's removal of physical media support from the new Xbox One S is both a statement of intent and a toe in the water. It speaks to the company's vision of Xbox as a gaming platform that spans across devices, powered through a combination of local hardware and Azure cloud services, with physical Xbox consoles being just one mode of access for an Xbox "experience" that's equally at home on a laptop, a tablet or another smart device.

In such a world, the notion of physical media that you stick into a standalone console is not only retrograde, it's outright restrictive. I wouldn't go so far as to say that Microsoft's true next-gen device, whenever it appears, will dispense with physical media entirely, but it's certainly testing the waters and showing clearly where its preference lies.

Nintendo, for its part, is off doing its own Nintendo stuff -- working on new iterations of the Switch that would variously be downsized and possibly ruggedized (a more kid-friendly device than the existing hardware, in other words), and powered-up and more advanced, while also quietly slipping out news that it's working with Tencent to launch the console in the Chinese market. Nintendo has hit a formula that works exceptionally well and which allows it to build a significant market while dodging getting caught in a horsepower arms-race with the other platform holders. It's a trick the company has pulled off before, but the Switch is thus far its most successful execution of the idea.

Source: GamesIndustryBiz

Personal note:
Opinion piece but thought it would make for some interesting discussions without brand loyalty coming into play.
More and more are the companies going their own route trying to find success (mobility, power, VR) and it keeps growing.

For staying relevant in the console market you need to add a differentiated proposal value. Sony and Nintendo have very clear proposals to their customers. Microsoft is fully aware they don't have the pedigree of the japanese manufacturers and their proposal revolves around convenience and accesibility.

I think it's the right way for the three of them. There is enough market for them to succeed but this balance might be striken by a fourth contender like Google or Apple. As long as we have these options, we will be fine.

Mista

Banned
To stay in the market you have to offer something other than what they’re offering and that’s the reason why I own An X, Pro and Switch. I like to enjoy what the three of them offers me

levyjl1988

Banned
The problem with an all digital future and internet requirement is that not all places have the best internet connection nor the best speeds. Say that I’m on a plane or commuting on a trip, or even on a boat cruise. I got no internet or the internet really sucks. That’s why offline Nintendo Switch is the better console. How will Microsoft resolve this, I know with Netflix and Spotify you can download your episodes and movies prior boarding and view them through the app until reconnected.

Closer

I know with Netflix and Spotify you can download your episodes and movies prior boarding and view them through the app until reconnected.

Can't you download the game prior to go offline then play it offline?

Last edited:
Top Bottom