• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OPINION: Wii U, best console to own in 2014, easily

Nope. Well, maybe, since current gen has yet to get going, but just because the crap that is the Wii U is barely slightly less crappy than the rest, doesn't make it worthwhile. Unlike the Wii U, the other home consoles are at least future proof.

lol, every time you say that Tropical Freeze is a rehash of Returns, and every time you're gonna be entirely wrong.

I mean, compared to what? Is it really just about the aesthetics?

You like NSMBU, you already know the answer.

w00zey

No. I had a lot of fun with my WiiU in 2014 but I'd still exchange my Mario Kart/Super Mario 3d world for my 3rd party experiences on my PS4.

EDIT: and donkey kong time*

I'm really wanting a Wii U.

Just waiting on a price drop - anyone keen to predict when Nintendo may drop the price?

Also, is Wonderful 101 any good?
It's only $200 refurbished and with a warrantee from Nintendo. C'mon man, that's pretty cheap considering what you get.
And yes, w101 is an action masterpiece.

Super Mario 3D World worst 3D Mario, pretty much devalued the main series alongside the other New Mario titles phoned in recently

Wind Waker HD Worst 3D Zelda, now more expensive

DK Tropical Freeze offers almost nothing new compared to DKCR except original music and you don't need a new console for good 2D platformers currently... like at all

Your comments are troubling to me.

Also, OP, you mention "all the virtual console games" as a reason why the Wii U is the best console to own in 2014. Could you tell me what imaginary region you live in that's getting this stellar lineup unavailable to us in the States?

tariniel

I agree. If you have a gaming PC I think Nintendo systems are worth owning in general, unless you really don't like their games.

The only game I've bought for my Wii U that I didn't like is Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. I just think it has too much to find in each level for me. I like to complete levels 100% (I had no problem getting every green star and golden goal in 3D World), but the puzzle pieces + KONG + secret exits... I don't want to find it all. I also don't want to just breeze through and not 100% complete stuff. So I just don't play it ever. I think I've played 2 hours at most and completed the first 5 levels.

Actually I also don't really like Pikmin 3, but its not as bad because I got it free from the MK8 promo. I don't like the time limit on the levels. Just let me stroll around and find things and walk to the exit when I'm done...

Air

Banned
All I need on wii u is actual fps games that aren't cod and with online multiplayer and I'll be happy.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't think anyone can really deny that Wii U easily has the best games so far this gen. However a lot of people are buying PS4 for the hopes of what is coming.

Kacho

Indeed. I own all three current gen consoles and a nice PC. This year most of my time has been spent using the Wii U and PC. I haven't turned on my PS4 since July and my Xbox One was only recently used for the Horizon 2 demo.

Unless the only games you're excited for are Guilty Gear Xrd, Final Fantasy 15, and persona 5. Wii U is basically nonexistent to me without them.

I don't think anyone can really deny that Wii U easily has the best games so far this gen. However a lot of people are buying PS4 for the hopes of what is coming.

To be absolutely fair, we're in year two of WiiU whereas we're still year one for PS4/XB1.

Next year's PS4/XB1 looks to be more than a match for what the WiiU's had this year.

BPoole

I agree. I talk a lot of shit it about the Wii U but the exclusive line ups for PS4 and XB1 have been very dismal. Multiplats I buy on my PC so right now the Wii U is the most appealing console

SMgamer83

I'll say this: I'd hate to have the gaming taste of someone who can't find anything worth playing on the Wii U.

This. I mean...do you ONLY like CoD/Destiny/Watchdogs? What kind of "gamer" ONLY likes a super specific subset of games? I'm actually curious. I'd love for the people saying nothing on Wii U to list what they do enjoy.

(Side note: I'm not saying you have to buy a Wii U or anything. You can think Bayonetta looks cool, but still be like "not enough to make me buy it" and that would make sense. But to say every single Wii U game doesn't interest you?)

Blinck

Gaming, besides Dark Souls, has basically been dead for me. Almost nothing interests me anymore. I play a game for a few minutes and I'm almost asleep.

I never owned a nintendo console.
Bought a Wii U a few days ago.
Inserted Super Mario 3D World.
My love for gaming was rekindled.

What made me buy the Wii U was basically that I was really sad that day and I had just seen the trailer for Captain Toad. It was just so beautiful, so joyful, so GAMEY - no cinematic bullfucks or anything like that. Just pure joyful gaming. I knew that moment that I needed a Wii U.
I needed a Wii U because no other platform has the same dedication to this sorts of games, only nintendo. And I needed it because I wanted to feel like I was actually playing a GAME again.

No regrets, no tears. Only joy.

2thepoint

It's only $200 refurbished and with a warrantee from Nintendo. C'mon man, that's pretty cheap considering what you get.
And yes, w101 is an action masterpiece.

That's cheap enough - but I would want it new for sure.

I'm definitely getting Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Smash Bros, and Sonic Lost World.

Pachinko

I agree with OP wholeheartedly.

The best combination of quality games you can get right now is with a Wii U and a decent gaming PC. This is coming from at least a bit of bias though, last generation I'd insist up and down that the wii had the best games when compared to 360/ps3 - especially if you owned a PC then too.

So , as with any theory / rule- there is one exception - do you inexplicably hate nintendo games for some reason ? Probably due primarily to not grown up in the late 80s / 90s ? Then yeah, you might honestly have more fun with a PS4 or an XB1.

From where I sit , the PS4/XB1 have nothing outside of better graphics and game streaming over the wii U. It hasn't so far made the games more enjoyable. Nor, likewise, as it made the wii U more marketable.

phanphare

Banned
I agree. If you have a gaming PC I think Nintendo systems are worth owning in general, unless you really don't like their games.

The only game I've bought for my Wii U that I didn't like is Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. I just think it has too much to find in each level for me. I like to complete levels 100% (I had no problem getting every green star and golden goal in 3D World), but the puzzle pieces + KONG + secret exits... I don't want to find it all. I also don't want to just breeze through and not 100% complete stuff. So I just don't play it ever. I think I've played 2 hours at most and completed the first 5 levels.

Actually I also don't really like Pikmin 3, but its not as bad because I got it free from the MK8 promo. I don't like the time limit on the levels. Just let me stroll around and find things and walk to the exit when I'm done...

you only have to get the K-O-N-G letters to 100% the game

do it. it's a fucking masterpiece.

Nope. Well, maybe, since current gen has yet to get going, but just because the crap that is the Wii U is barely slightly less crappy than the rest, doesn't make it worthwhile. Unlike the Wii U, the other home consoles are at least future proof.

i4CsOVpBY1CYv.gif

Unless the only games you're excited for are Guilty Gear Xrd, Final Fantasy 15, and persona 5. Wii U is basically nonexistent to me without them.
Sure, but by that logic, if you're excited for bayonetta 2, Zelda u, splatoon, and star fox u, then a ps4 is basically nonexistent.

Hedge

Of those games, only Monster Hunter has any appeal. And I own that on the 3DS.
I'd rather have Dragon Age: Inquisition than that entire list, personally. Taste is subjective and all that.

I have Wii U since launch and I love it. In its current state for me it is a no brainer, but there could be some folks who don´t like nintendo games, so obviously for those I don´t recommend it.

I got a PS4 some months ago.

I could not see myself without either one, Wii U or PS4, as to not miss out, and if I had to choose only one it would be a tough decision but in my case I think I would go Wii U.

Exile20

I'll say this: I'd hate to have the gaming taste of someone who can't find anything worth playing on the Wii U.

Been gaming since atari 2600 and I feel so out of touch with the current generation of gamers.

I am a Wii U, PC, 3ds owner(Owned a PS3 and my roommate owned a 360) and I like all sorts of games but how can anyone say there is nothing in that list worth playing?

Wii U has only two games I want: Bayonetta 2 and ZombieU. I'll prob get it when it's cheap. I got the Wii when it was cheap a few years ago and played what I wanted then gave it to my parents. Nintendo doesn't make enough games for me to keep their consoles.

I've also been very back and forth with Smash bros... Sometimes I hate and sometimes I love it.

Mesoian

But not in 2015, 16, or 17 which is the big issue IMO.

Well...2015's got Starfox, Kirby Canvas Curse 2, Yoshi, Splatoon, FExSMT, Zelda...it's probably pretty early to count the WiiU out for 2015.

2016 though...yeah, they might have some trouble.

mnannola

I want one of these, but what is up for the price? It seems like the specs pale in comparison to a PS4, but it's only $100 less? Help a dude out Nintendo, drop that price.

I like you.

I can find a total of 2 games... maybe 3. (Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, and maybe ZombiU.)
Does that mean you hate my gaming taste? :p

Bloodborne alone has assured that if I buy any "next-gen" console, it will be a PS4.
This is further cemented by the [OPINION] best exclusives that have no chance of appearing on any other platform. :D

Been gaming since atari 2600 and I feel so out of touch with the current generation of gamers.

I am a Wii U, PC, 3ds owner(Owned a PS3 and my roommate owned a 360) and I like all sorts of games but how can anyone say there is nothing in that list worth playing?

Well, if you're not a Nintendo fan (I'm not really one anymore, as I learned after getting a 3DS which just collects dust) and you don't like character action games (read: Platinum's two exclusives to the platform)... then yeah, there's nothing to play on WiiU since 3rd party support is almost non-existent.

I would say 3.5 when Stealth Bastard 2 releases, but I have a feeling that at some point, Curve will consider bringing it to other platforms if possible.

Wii U has only two games I want: Bayonetta 2 and ZombieU. I'll prob get it when it's cheap. I got the Wii when it was cheap a few years ago and played what I wanted then gave it to my parents. Nintendo doesn't make enough games for me to keep their consoles.

I've also been very back and forth with Smash bros... Sometimes I hate and sometimes I love it.

I agree. I also think Wonderful 101 would be good, because, well, Platinum Games.
And I used to be like you... until I realized that the "love" for Smash was just some sick twisted form of Stockholm Syndrome where I convinced myself I should like it because of the hype and because it can kind of be fun as a mindless party brawler via local multiplayer. But it really doesn't work for me because it doesn't follow the core tennets of what I look for in that sort of game.

I want one of these, but what is up for the price? It seems like the specs pale in comparison to a PS4, but it's only $100 less? Help a dude out Nintendo, drop that price.

Truth. I would honestly consider one at $250... and would probably instantly buy it at $200; especially if the new Zelda appealed to me and Nintendo announced a revival of the classic 2D Metroid.

Top Bottom