• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinions on rebuying systems

David B

An Idiot
I just sold my Nintendo Switch in December because I have only 3 exclusive Mario games on it and the rest I have for other consoles. I just sold my Xbox Series X in December because I don't even like any of Microsoft's exclusive games. So yes I sold them, and now I'm going oh I should buy them again. But I already bought Switch 3 times, I really don't care for Mario games anymore as the graphics are cartoon like and I get bored fast. I want Xbox Series X again but I already bought it twice and it doesn't have any exclusive games I like on it and the rest are 3rd party games most I already own on PS3 PS4 PS5. So yeah it's like duh, don't buy them again, you already own all the games you want, there's no great exclusives on Xbox I want and Nintendo is just too cartoon looking for me and underpowered. Thoughts?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Ytho GIF

Sounds like you just like setting money on fire if you keep buying and selling the same systems.

StereoVsn

Ytho GIF

Sounds like you just like setting money on fire if you keep buying and selling the same systems.
Yep, just keep the system and buy what games that interest you as you go. Reselling systems like that is a waste of money and more importantly time.

The only times I sold my older systems I regretted it. Well, except for PS4 and XBO since the new consoles had full BC. Well, and Wii U.

angrod14

Don't rebuy them. The Switch 2 is around the corner and possibly so is the SeX refresh. Take this oportunity to build some discipline, otherwise you'll just keep doing the same while burning money through it.

Mr Hyde

Never understood why people buy systems, then sell them, only to rebuy them. Sometimes multiple times. It's just seem so fucking stupid and unnecessary. Why not just keep them and play the games coming out for them, even if they are few and far between?

VinnyMac

I'm currently on my 3rd switch lmao.

Really tempted to get another series console I had the s but them x prices be basement lvls saw one for 220

David B

An Idiot
Yeah like I said, I really don't like Nintendo for there cartoon graphics and ancient old graphic hardware as well as there BAYX controllers. It's so odd and wierd. I'm not gonna buy Xbox again. I think Microsoft is good at Windows. But in gaming they just don't belong to me. They just don't have any great games or any ideas that are good at all. So yeah, not gonna buy em again, not being stupid.

Why even sell them? Just leave them hooked up and when the whim comes to play you just hit the power button?

Your actions of buying, selling, buying, selling is what insanity is cause I’m guessing your expecting different results with each rebuy…

David B

An Idiot
Why even sell them? Just leave them hooked up and when the whim comes to play you just hit the power button?

Your actions of buying, selling, buying, selling is what insanity is cause I’m guessing your expecting different results with each rebuy…
I've sold already the 2 consoles I listed. So yeah not buying them again. I'm done being stupid and buy sell buy sell over and over again and again. I just don't like Xbox and Nintendo exclusives. Xbox just has nothing I want. Nintendo got crappy cartoon graphics from GPU way out of date. So yeah, just playing PlayStation consoles cause they actually have games I want to play.

Just invest in a mid-range prebuilt PC and hold on to it. It should play the vast majority of the two systems' offerings and then some.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Thoughts are you’ve got a problem, and keep pissing money away rebuying systems.
Here’s a thought; don’t buy the system until there’s a few games you want. If you hit a dry spell - don’t sell it! Not until it hits the end of its lifespan and you’re certain you’re done with it.

Majormaxxx

I remember the last time you did this.

My thoughts - you lack impulse control and long term planning.

You are losing 100s of dollars rebuying.

Honestly it looks childish.

Anyways, to each their own. Enjoy your gaming!

Sojiro

I had a coworker who used to do this a lot. Buy something, use it a month or two, then sell it, and occasionally buy it again. He went through 2 switches before keeping the third. He did it with lots of different devices, not just consoles, VR headsets, GPUs, etc. Hell I picked up my wife's switch lite on the cheap courtesy of him. My other coworker and I would harp on him all the time about his spending, but he never really listened. Nowadays he has a girlfriend and she definitely keeps his spending in check lol.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I just sold my Nintendo Switch in December because I have only 3 exclusive Mario games on it and the rest I have for other consoles. I just sold my Xbox Series X in December because I don't even like any of Microsoft's exclusive games. So yes I sold them, and now I'm going oh I should buy them again. But I already bought Switch 3 times, I really don't care for Mario games anymore as the graphics are cartoon like and I get bored fast. I want Xbox Series X again but I already bought it twice and it doesn't have any exclusive games I like on it and the rest are 3rd party games most I already own on PS3 PS4 PS5. So yeah it's like duh, don't buy them again, you already own all the games you want, there's no great exclusives on Xbox I want and Nintendo is just too cartoon looking for me and underpowered. Thoughts?
You have to break the cycle but it can only happen naturally. You have to grow out of that ‘but I’m missing out’ mindset. Remember why you sold them, remember that even when you had them, you didn’t play the games.

Dis

I had this with PSP

Sleepwalker

You have to break the cycle but it can only happen naturally. You have to grow out of that ‘but I’m missing out’ mindset. Remember why you sold them, remember that even when you had them, you didn’t play the games.

The only way to break the cycle is to murder whoever buys the next console from him, in a few years his/her daughter will come in and smash OP's head with a Series X, then OP's child will be able to forgive the murderer and break the cycle of rebuying.

Last edited:
I've been through this same thing multiple times but for me the blame is on minimalism. I've been into minimalism since 2017, and this causes me to sort of always chase having less stuff.

I've sold/traded in multiple Xbox consoles, Nintendo consoles, and PCs only to ultimately end up with them again. Maybe they were gathering dust, or maybe I felt like the money was better to have versus something I didn't use.

My advice. If you get rid of something and buy it again more then once then just keep it. I recently got another Xbox because I enjoy having one for stuff like Forza without needing to move my admittedly small PC over to the tv stand over and over. My Switch though I sold (for the third time) because I know a new version is coming this year and I got a good price for it. I haven't really missed it anyway.

BlackTron

Didn't you already answer your own question?

I sold these systems for reasons. I am fully self-aware that these reasons still apply to me today. So GAF, should I buy them again?

I admit that I have, in the past, sold and re-purchased a few systems. Back in the day I did it because I had limited funds and couldn't always get what I wanted, when I wanted it. Always had regret as well. I'd never do it now because I wait until a system purchase makes sense and that I want to keep it around as long as possible.

Top Bottom