• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OPM: Left 4 Dead coming to PS3, Ported by EA

Kweh

If it is true, with EA getting more to grips with the PS3 as time has gone on, should we expect to actually get a decent port this time around, instead of writing it off already as an equivalent to The Orange Box PS3 ?

Totobeni said:
well even X360 ver is done by another studio ( Certain Affinity ) and not Valve South ( formerly Turtle Rock ) , so you see no reason to get this game on X360 too ?

The 360 versions will be a few config files on top of the PC version. They are esentially the same.

Haunted

Totobeni said:
well even X360 ver is done by another studio ( Certain Affinity ) and not Valve South ( formerly Turtle Rock ) , so you see no reason to get this game on X360 too ?
Yeah, pretty much, even though the technical aspects will probably end up in favour of the 360 (vs the PS3, mind you (easier development, started earlier etc. etc.)). But having to play such a fast-paced game with a controller instead of mouse+keyboard is reason enough to forego the 360 version, imo.

FrankT

Ah so from the rumors sections. Could of mentioned that the first time so I will assume not day and date. If it was going to hit in Nov then I would think an announcement would have come at E3.

Kafel

Banned
I remember Valve said such thing wouldn't be made by them, and that the development would only start after the game is released since noone was interested doing a PS3 version, waiting to know how the others perform.

Doel

Hope its true. Even though I own a 360 all my friends are on PS3, so I'm not not buying the game unless it hits PS3.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
The OB on PS3 was great. The haters are so wrong about the port (and most likely never played). Most people saw that ridiculous 1up clip and took it to represent the whole game, or even that part of the game. That chugging section happened one time, at that point, and it was because EA should have left the loading screen up for another 10-15 seconds, because after that the level ran fine. It wasn't perfect, but by most standards it was still awesome.

I'll say this though, they're going to have to get the engine running better on PS3 for this game to work. From the look and sound of it, this game will require more horse power. They clearly had Valve's engine maxing out the gpu etc with OB. So they need to get valve's engine working with the SPU's. So yes, EA has starting rocking the PS3 pretty hard, but that doesn't change the fact that this engine isn't run nearly as well as it could if they spent more time porting the engine.

bluheim

Banned
Kafel said:
I remember Valve said such thing wouldn't be made by them, and that the development would only start after the game is released since noone was interested doing a PS3 version, waiting to know how the others perform.

Who care what Valve think ? Luckily enough, EA is waaaaayyyyy smarter than Newell and knows that they can't ignore the 15 millions PS3 owners and the huge market that Europe is. In other words : they are not dumbass DirectX fanboys; they are money makers.

I know this must be tough for you to hear but I'm sure you'll learn to live with it.

Good news for ps3 owners if true.
Sad that speculative port talk is bannable but dismissive port trolling is so acceptable. I'll be buying the 360 version just to spite GAF it seems.

I'm glad more gamers will be able to enjoy this game, even if it ends up neutered and inferior to the PC version. What kind of Valve fan only owns a PS3 anyway?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
dhelfric said:
Isn't every PC since 2003 capable of Left4Dead, just like TF2?

Yep. Valve and Blizzard are notorious for programing their games to run on even the shittiest PC's. Hell, I ran TF2 on Low/Mediums settings on my 2002 eMachines with a GeForce6200 :D

Won

bluheim said:
Who care what Valve think ? Luckily enough, EA is waaaaayyyyy smarter than Newell and knows that they can't ignore the 15 millions PS3 owners and the huge market that Europe is. In other words : they are not dumbass DirectX fanboys; they are money makers.

I know this must be tough for you to hear but I'm sure you'll learn to live with it.

Are you saying Valve doesn't make money?

szaromir

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
:lol

Unless they find a way to accept 2 keyboards and 2 mouses, no.
Well, the second person could always play on a *gasp*controller.
But since no one has heard of split-screen on PCk, I assume it's a 360-only feature.

Scipius

Can't we all be happy that more people will be able to experience a Valve game?

I consider the console versions of Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2 to be a near-full game demo of the proper game: the PC version on Steam. People can see what the game is like and then decide if they want more or not.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
dejan said:
:lol

I mean yeah ... technically it's possible, but what do you expect when even Sony's big first party blockbuster fps games don't support mouse & keyboard? What other game besides UT3 does take advantage of PS3's support for mouse & keyboard?
R2 is a console centric shooter, so ofcourse you'd use the DS3 with it... UT3 and L4D on the other hand...

Scipius said:
Can't we all be happy that more people will be able to experience a Valve game?

I consider the console versions of Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2 to be a near-full game demo of the proper game: the PC version on Steam. People can see what the game is like and then decide if they want more or not.
WTF, a $30+ demo?

Anyways, as someone with a laptop that just has a shitty Intel graphics card, stuff like this excites me. But I'll probably pass since this is such a face paced and multiplayer centric game.

bluheim

Banned
Won said:
Are you saying Valve doesn't make money?

I mean they could make much more money if they were not Microsoft-whore. And I mean that EA is a much smarter company by not selling their ass to a console manufacturer. Just like Square-Enix.

Won

sykoex said:
WTF, a $30+ demo?

It is weird, but yeah, I see a lot of people here buying the PC TF2 version of Steam after they played it (or not really played it) on the X360.

bluheim said:
I mean they could make much more money if they were not Microsoft-whore. And I mean that EA is a much smarter company by not selling their ass to a console manufacturer. Just like Square-Enix.

Okay.

CoilShot

I hope this is true because between left 4 dead and the orange box is the only main reasons why I'm still using Steam. I really want to play left 4 dead on my 50" HDTV :D

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I hope EA does because Valve's position on the PS3 is frustrating. I don't buy Valve games on anything that isn't a computer but I still have a problem with it.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
ahoyhoy said:
Yep. Valve and Blizzard are notorious for programing their games to be ugly so they can run on even the shittiest PC's. Hell, I ran TF2 on Low/Mediums settings on my 2002 eMachines with a GeForce6200 :D
Fixed.

Seriously, the Source games haven't looked too great for a year or two now. The tech is just so old. But hey, it works on a lot of computers and they play great so I'm not complaining. More people to play with.

VaLiancY

I hope Valve can package all of the updates for TF2 when their complete and release them on the consoles(without any drama from Microsoft). They really are fucking great and I think no one should skip on them.

Chemo

There is some pretty nasty talk about the PS3 port of The Orange Box in this thread from people who do not know what the fuck they are talking about. The port is just fine.

thuway

Chemo said:
There is some pretty nasty talk about the PS3 port of The Orange Box in this thread from people who do not know what the fuck they are talking about. The port is just fine.
I've played the game. Aside from the Team Fortress component rendered almost unplayable, the main Half Life 2 / Portal portions operate just fine. I think with the knowledge EA has garnered they could program it to work just fine.

Negaiido

drakesfortune said:
The OB on PS3 was great. The haters are so wrong about the port (and most likely never played). Most people saw that ridiculous 1up clip and took it to represent the whole game, or even that part of the game. That chugging section happened one time, at that point, and it was because EA should have left the loading screen up for another 10-15 seconds, because after that the level ran fine. It wasn't perfect, but by most standards it was still awesome.

I'll say this though, they're going to have to get the engine running better on PS3 for this game to work. From the look and sound of it, this game will require more horse power. They clearly had Valve's engine maxing out the gpu etc with OB. So they need to get valve's engine working with the SPU's. So yes, EA has starting rocking the PS3 pretty hard, but that doesn't change the fact that this engine isn't run nearly as well as it could if they spent more time porting the engine.

LOL :D and let me just say another word LOL :D

GQman2121

Banned
So is this on the pile of rumors with the Mass Effect sequels going multi-plat at some point?

They've got my monies if this does in fact happen. It's been in development for the PC for what feels like an eternity, so I've had my eye on it. I didn't have a problem with the Orange Box port; the load times where longer than I would have like, but overall the games were totally playable.

Zophar

Considering the OB port they did was flawless 90% of the time, and a full year will have elapsed since that title's release, I see no reason to be concerned about the quality of this port.

On that note, inferior PS3 ports are a thing of the past. The development tools have matured, and all of the high-profile multiplat releases from here on out will be very difficult to distinguish.

bluheim said:

If I didn't already know you were an idiot, I'd actually pull out a .gif, but you're not really worth it.

CoG

Zophar said:
Considering the OB port they did was flawless 90% of the time, and a full year will have elapsed since that title's release, I see no reason to be concerned about the quality of this port.

On that note, inferior PS3 ports are a thing of the past. The development tools have matured, and all of the high-profile multiplat releases from here on out will be very difficult to distinguish.

Unless of course you're Eurogamer.

Ryu1999

Haunted One said:
I'm happy people in this thread are generally agreeing on the best version to get. It's rare to see so much positivity towards the PC version of a game on GAF.

Uhh, the PC version has always been the definitive version to all but the most ardent console fanboy (if you don't mind waiting that is :p )

thuway

drakesfortune said:

Will it be time to farm off resources to Cell? I think EA is talented enough to do it.

Ryu1999 said:
Uhh, the PC version has always been the definitive version to all but the most ardent console fanboy (if you don't mind waiting that is :p )

Now that I got my new laptop, I'll be playing L4D on the PC. Really given how small the console TF2 player base is, you'd have to be stupid to buy a MP-only Valve game for anything but PC.

Hitmeneer

BobsRevenge said:
Fixed.

Seriously, the Source games haven't looked too great for a year or two now. The tech is just so old. But hey, it works on a lot of computers and they play great so I'm not complaining. More people to play with.

It isn't Crysis, but TF2 and HL2: Eps 2 look really good tbh. Nice clean and crisp.

And as stated multiple times above, if your PC can run it, buy the PC version. Nothing beats user made maps. I still play TF2 regularly because of all the fun maps that are being released by the community + the great support of Valve.

Top Bottom