• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orange Halo Edition original Xbox console discovered

DTJAAAAM

Thought the collector types might get a kick out of this. A friend texted me recently saying that he found this orange original Xbox at a swap meet and wanted me to photograph it. He originally thought it was just a modded system with a custom shell, but it actually has the official Microsoft and Halo markings on it.

He's been requesting help on researching the origin over at places like ASSEMBLERgames and from what he's learned, this is apparently the only one discovered at the moment with the Halo Edition brandings. I guess he's been getting insane offers for it too, highest so far being $15K. No idea what the hell he's going to do with it, but I kind of hope he keeps something that's as rare as this.

jbm4bFYLXfSa1i.jpg

jkMxRY2UZPf8e.jpg

js5DpiWVDQOZb.jpg

More pics (Photos are VERY high-res)

Probably an XCM case with some custom Halo lettering.

I'd be more inclined to believe this was a real LE if the stickers on the bottom were intact.

I wonder if Borman knows anything about this.

I know all about it. I tracked down the person in charge of Xbox case manufacturing. It's the real deal, made as a sample to test potential colors. Only a handful of complete shells were made, although there were quite a few of tops made. Either way, it is really rare, and I hope it goes to someone willing to take proper pictures and put it in a museum.

There were all sorts of potential colors tested, though this seems to be one of the most common (and thus, the most survived). There were red ones made as well, multicolored, colorshifting, and even glow in the dark.

Oh shit!

I always really liked the different colors for the original xbox. This is really cool though, it makes me wonder the path it took to your friend, who would get rid of this?

Bsigg12

Looks like a case mod. I switched out the case on one of my Xboxes back in the day to a mirror chrome one.

Borman

Probably an XCM case with some custom Halo lettering.

I'd be more inclined to believe this was a real LE if the stickers on the bottom were intact.

I wonder if Borman knows anything about this.

I know all about it. I tracked down the person in charge of Xbox case manufacturing. It's the real deal, made as a sample to test potential colors. Only a handful of complete shells were made, although there were quite a few of tops made. Either way, it is really rare, and I hope it goes to someone willing to take proper pictures and put it in a museum.

There were all sorts of potential colors tested, though this seems to be one of the most common (and thus, the most survived). There were red ones made as well, multicolored, colorshifting, and even glow in the dark.

The Llama

This just got a lot more interesting...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Jewel and X-box logo on the DVD-drive looks "off" to me. It's like someone could've probably gotten a custom Halo Special Edition stencil and "spray-painted" it on a Orange Case mod.

But that's at low res, I'll have to check the higher-res to see. But weird that (if it's legit) MS made an orange (or multiple?) Halo X-box with no advertising it. I'd assume it was a Bungie employee or something gift from MS since they didn't advertise it.

Oh well, speak of the devil.

Xbox, now with Dorito-resistant finish!

don't forget the mtn dew companion piece

Mountain_Dew_Xbox_Console.jpg

Oh shit!

The Cowboy

Where the samples made with matching pads?, this looks fantastic and it would be awesome if it had matching pads.

Kajiba

Welp, it's real guy's.

Tell your friend to keep it.

Borman

Where the samples made with matching pads?, this looks fantastic and it would be awesome if it had matching pads.

Controllers were made in a different factory. That said, orange controllers were made for the Xbox Live team, of which I own one and are rare in themselves. Both were considered for a potential Xbox Live set, but it obviously wasn't made. The Halo print is there because it probably came from the same place making it. When its a sample, it doesnt really matter.

Be sure to check my earlier post too, I added bits about other colors.

Here is my Xbox Live controller. The colors are slightly different, because again, different factories and they weren't color matched like you would see if they were retail kits.

11U8cdm.jpg

E6WZFFC.jpg

Bsigg12

Controllers were made in a different factory. That said, orange controllers were made for the Xbox Live team, of which I own one and are rare in themselves. Both were considered for a potential Xbox Live set, but it obviously wasn't made. The Halo print is there because it probably came from the same place making it. When its a sample, it doesnt really matter.

Here is my Xbox Live controller. The colors are slightly different, because again, different factories and they weren't color matched like you would see if they were retail kits.

11U8cdm.jpg

E6WZFFC.jpg

Oh wow that's a cool looking controller.

Why do these things always miraculously appear in the hands of somebody who does not care about them or know what the thing is? And always at a flea market or yard sale or something. Like, Jesus, how do people who don't care about this stuff end up with it?

The Cowboy

Nice, thanks for the info. Though not an exact colour match (as you say), pairing up a set of orange pads with this GLORIOUS orange console would be great.

I do love orange, give me this orange xbox and the orange gamecube and I'll be a happy camper :D.

Why do these things always miraculously appear in the hands of somebody who does not care about them or know what the thing is? And always at a flea market or yard sale or something. Like, Jesus, how do people who don't care about this stuff end up with it?

Dumpster divers typically don't have encyclopedic knowledge of everything they find in the trash.

Borman

Because I don't live in Seattle hah. It's a shame that should he sell, Im sure he will worry about maximizing money, which I dont blame him, but someone like me would like to actually document things properly. It is what it is though.

sikkinixx

Because grandmas. Mine had an original NES with all the fixin's, UNOPENED and would never let anyone play it for some reason. Kept it for years and years and years in the attic.

A few years after she passed away I asked my step-mom what ever happened to that NES. She tells me grandma sold it at a garage sale for $5 because she didn't think anyone would want the old thing.

Because I don't live in Seattle hah. It's a shame that should he sell, Im sure he will worry about maximizing money, which I dont blame him, but someone like me would like to actually document things properly. It is what it is though.

I personally was very involved with properly identifying and tracing origins of WoTC Pokémon reading cards. Whether I actually owned them or bought them a lot, I always jumped on an opportunity to properly document the cards. You might ask your friend to examine and photograph the machine before he sells it, you know?

DTJAAAAM

He mentioned wanting to record a video on it on his own and have me take a few more photos if he ends up opening it up, so there should hopefully be more documentation coming on the system.

Borman

I personally was very involved with properly identifying and tracing origins of WoTC Pokémon reading cards. Whether I actually owned them or bought them a lot, I always jumped on an opportunity to properly document the cards. You might ask your friend to examine and photograph the machine before he sells it, you know?

I don't know the guy, and Im on the other side of the country. I did my part in tracking down and verifying that it was real anyway, and got a lot of info out of it.

Personally, my collection will be going to a museum should I meet an untimely demise. I have another debug kit waiting for me when I get home tomorrow, with some more unreleased content :) It is what it is hah, can't win them all.

Dumpster divers typically don't have encyclopedic knowledge of everything they find in the trash.

Because grandmas. Mine had an original NES with all the fixin's, UNOPENED and would never let anyone play it for some reason. Kept it for years and years and years in the attic.

A few years after she passed away I asked my step-mom what ever happened to that NES. She tells me grandma sold it at a garage sale for $5 because she didn't think anyone would want the old thing.

I know dumpster divers. Portland, Maine is full of panhandlers and poor hipsters who rely on it on a daily basis. Part of their shtick is knowing what they're finding. Why would you sell something you know nothing about? The whole thing is to maximize your finding. Also if you don't know what you're digging up you don't know what's even worth taking.

As for grandmas, I am cry.

11U8cdm.jpg

E6WZFFC.jpg

The colour is nice and all but it's mostly reminding me how long it's been since I've used a type s controller. Really liked that controller and wish modern pads kept 6 face buttons.

This Xbox looks really great, would have been a perfect Xbox for the Dutch market.

Thanks for sharing.

Did wonder one thing, is it 1.6 or before? And if it is before, is he going to get the leaking capacitor out?

DTJAAAAM

Did warn him about the capacitor, but can't say I know what version it is. Just looked and took the photos during my lunch break, didn't even get to see him boot it up.

Krammy

I guess someone at Microsoft was hoping that Orange would be the new Black.

Cool colour though. Always a fan of transparent shells.

Toxi

Banned
Transparent consoles look sooooooo cool... But I prefer the transparent green Xbox to orange.

Amazing find.

Top Bottom