• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oranges suck.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
They're a bitch to peel and don't taste as good as tangerines, bananas or mangoes, which all need to be peeled yes but aren't as much of a pain in the ass to do. (with bananas it's just plain easy) Why do people willingly eat these over apples?

Last edited:

badblue

Gold Member
Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Jennings

I mostly eat them because of how good they taste. But if I had it my way instead of having to peel them before eating we'd have to exfoliate them.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I mostly eat them because of how good they taste. But if I had it my way instead of having to peel them before eating we'd have to exfoliate them.
I think they taste good too but they're not worth the effort of spending 2 minutes ripping their skin off. Mangoes taste way better for how long it takes to peel them

Fbh

The main problem with oranges, at least where I live, is that they aren't consisently good. Sometimes they are great, sometimes they are dry, sometimes they are full of flavor, sometimes they aren't.
Other fruits like bananas or mangoes tend to be more consistently good.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They're a bitch to peel and don't taste as good as tangerines, bananas or mangoes, which all need to be peeled yes but aren't as much of a pain in the ass to do. (with bananas it's just plain easy) Why do people willingly eat these over apples?
Dont peel them. Cut them in half. Then again. Then simply eat them like you would a mango.

Dural

Dont peel them. Cut them in half. Then again. Then simply eat them like you would a mango.

Or quarter them and easily peel them. I love oranges and orange juice, my kids don't like them nearly as much as I do. They seem to prefer apples. Driving north on PCH in California just past Point Mugu the orange smell is heavenly.

GeekyDad

Over apples? No. But you don't have peel 'em. Get yourself a nice, very healthy looking navel orange, and cut it into about six slices. If it's juicy, it should be delicious.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Over apples? No. But you don't have peel 'em. Get yourself a nice, very healthy looking navel orange, and cut it into about six slices. If it's juicy, it should be delicious.
I always do the peeling route because i don't always have a knife near me

GeekyDad

I always do the peeling route because i don't always have a knife near me
Ah, you must be eating them at work? Hmm...maybe try one at home. But also be sure to cut off the little slivers of white binding structure (don't know what it's actually called, sorry), as they are slightly bitter. Personally, I find oranges a little too sweet most times, but I'm off and on with various fruits. I loved them all, but a lot of my taste changes with the seasons and how much I consume over a period of time.

Last edited:
just use a knife instead of peeling it.

Sgt.Asher

I just cut along the equator then the peel comes off easy. Though oranges have the biggest range of quality. Sometimes it's the best fruit ever or fucking awful and everything in between.

I know what to expect with a banana or apple.

D-ray

Just squeeze them and make a nice and refreshing juice instead. Maybe put a TINY bit of water to make sure its not bitter.

Ionian

I grew up on blood oranges, rabbit used to eat them.

Would love to eat them again. Hard to find now.

Fox tore the rabbits head off. I was told not to tell my sister. Was called bunny, we were very young. Even had a grave with a cross.

My ex loved to eat rabbit. I couldn't. I ate in a brazzilan restaurant and ate kangaroo. Was disgusting. Came out bloody so asked more well done, they cooked the fuck out of it. Was black.

As in burnt, fuckers.

Loved the place too but never went back.

Last edited:

Barakov

I usually stick to clementines myself. Since I'm fighting off a cold right now, I found the biggest and juiciest oranges at the store and I'll consume them to ride this thing out. I found using a orange peeler tool helps with the tough skin on the big boys. I always eat apples though, they're the best.

lachesis

I love pretty much all kinds of citrus type fruits. Oranges, Grapefruits etc...
My favorite ones are those "mikan" in Kumamoto prefecture (in Kyushu Japan). Cheap, abundant and just simply amazing all around.
Korean Jeju gyul is very good too. I like "han ra bong, but they are pretty expensive in U.S.

Since I can't get those far eastern ones easily around here... so I normally look something more locally grown, which are similar.
Satsuma Mandarins are very good - luckily I can easily get them in local asian groceries in season. They have stronger taste, but still very easy to peel and super yummy.
One of the delights of cold weather season. Love them. choke full of Vitamin C too.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Don't know where you're from, but the oranges that we get here in Norway during winter, the best season to buy ripe oranges in the store, literally takes not much more than 10 seconds to peel, and have an incredible depth of taste and sweetness.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
They suck even more when your parents force you to drink orange juice every morning before school when you are a child and you end up hating orange juice for the rest of your life...

It happened to a uhm...friend.

Tangerines are better yeah.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
They suck even more when your parents force you to drink orange juice every morning before school when you are a child and you end up hating orange juice for the rest of your life...

It happened to a uhm...friend.

Tangerines are better yeah.
That's not even very healthy. Lots of sugar. And the acid fucks up your teeth.

Top Bottom