• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

O'Reilly to Jewish caller: "Go to Israel"

Status
Not open for further replies.

maharg

idspispopd
Nerevar said:
I really don't know what fucked-up stories you're hearing about Santa, Fleming

To add to this, the RED clothes that Santa is always portrayed as wearing now come entirely from Coke advertising.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Shinobi said:
If he'd told an Aussie to go back down under, nobody bats an eyelash. But because he told a Jew to go back, it's something bigger? Come on.

Wow. I can't believe how incredibly stupid you are. To equate him telling an Australian, who came from Australia, to go back down under to telling a Jew, who's probably born in and raised in America, to go "back to Israel" where his only connection is "being Jewish," is incredibly ignorant.

maharg said:
To add to this, the RED clothes that Santa is always portrayed as wearing now come entirely from Coke advertising.

???
I'm confused, is this supposed to be a joke about the commercialization of Christmas?

maharg

idspispopd
Nerevar said:
???
I'm confused, is this supposed to be a joke about the commercialization of Christmas?

No joke, but it's not as true as I thought. At best you could accuse them of solidifying the red suit as the dominant one, but it started earlier.

snopes.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
maharg said:
No joke, but it's not as true as I thought. At best you could accuse them of solidifying the red suit as the dominant one, but it started earlier.

snopes.

In Washington Irving's History of New York, Sinterklaas was Americanized to "Santa Claus" but lost his bishop's apparel, and was at first pictured as a thick bellied Dutch sailor with a pipe in a green winter coat. Irving's book was a lampoon of the Dutch culture of new York, and much of this portrait is his joking invention. Santa Claus appeared in various colored costumes as he gradually became amalgamated with the figure of Father Christmas, but red soon became popular after he appeared wearing such on an 1885 Christmas card. His horse was converted to reindeer and a sleigh, the black peters (which were in fact Moorish slaves) were converted to elves, and, in an attempt to move the origin of the festivities away from their pagan background to a more Christian one, the date was moved forward a few weeks to the celebrated day of the birth of Jesus: Christmas.

red has pretty much been the preferred color for Santa's suit for the past century and a half or so.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
if you are really offended, you gotta go to Israel then.

hm. like I said... the guy supports freedom of everything, until it actually means he might not get something he wants, in which case it's a big hassle and everyone should just leave. He's just like these other evangelical right-wing nuts, running around with their, "Well if you don't like it, you should GET OUT!" philosophies.

Fuck that, Bill O'Reilly. This country is a secular country, meaning I have the right to practice whatever religion I want, and the Supreme Court has ruled that there shall be no establishment between the Federal Government (up to and including it's representatives, be they public schools, court houses, etc) and religion, and if Bill doesn't like this, then maybe HE should get out, and quit being un-american.

Ristamar

Meh. I generally think O'Reilly is a douche, but this barely registers on the radar, if at all. Coming from anyone else, it's non-news.

Bill said nothing wrong. Im jewish and my mother is israeli, and there is nothing offensive about what was said. You'd have to be as warped as O'reilly to find that genuinely offensive.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm Jewish and Israeli as well, and I wasn't particularly offended at what he said. That said, O'Reilly is a hypocrite and a moron, and the comments he did make don't do anything to convince me otherwise. :)

Making a huge deal out of the most insignificant crap, like minor issues of political correctness, doesn't exactly help correct the image liberals have of being whiny.

Shinobi

Heh, agreed.

whytemyke said:
If he told an Aussie that, it wouldn't be religiously motivated. Personally, I don't give a damn about religion, but it's clear that this was a religiously motivated slander on the caller. The guy is a douchebag, no doubt, though. He needs to die.

Personally, the only reason this kinda crap pisses me off is because O'Reilly is always the first person to say that he never says shut up, tells people they're stupid or tells them they're wrong, and he more than supports peoples' freedoms as he's a self-proclaimed libertarian. However, we all know he's the first person to tell someone who disagrees with him to shut up, he has no problem abusing his pulpit to make people look bad (oftentimes without giving them a chance to counter), and overall supports every law passed that saps away more and more freedoms of Americans so that stupid rich people can feel safe. He's a damn hypocrite and he doesn't even recognize it, and that's why I can't stand him.

Oh I don't disagree with that...like I said I hate his guts, primarily for those reasons. But what he said here just wasn't a big deal to me.

Nerevar said:
Wow. I can't believe how incredibly stupid you are. To equate him telling an Australian, who came from Australia, to go back down under to telling a Jew, who's probably born in and raised in America, to go "back to Israel" where his only connection is "being Jewish," is incredibly ignorant.

And I can't believe how fucking blind you are...I already made that point at the end of my post you dumb fuck.

BobbyRobby said:
Making a huge deal out of the most insignificant crap, like minor issues of political correctness, doesn't exactly help correct the image liberals have of being whiny.

1. How do you know he's liberal? From the quote, he could even be an Orthodox Jew.
2. Conservatives whine all the time. Listen to religious conservatives during Clinton's time. They just don't have the reputation. At least not yet.

sonatinas

It is not against Judaism to sing along to christmas carols. THe reform Jews have no problem with this; however some conserative Jews might but usually most of the kids probably go to Jewish private schools. As for being left out, the Jehova Witnesses at every school are more left out. They dont stand for the pledge, celebrate birthdays and holidays. Also, O'Reilly got the idea of Chanukah wrong but that is expected; all radio people are professionals when cutting people off and then turning them off. Another example is Neil Boorts; however, sometimes hes ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom