• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines |OT| Cursed for Life

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Crafting your perfect clan through planning and stats raising. On top of watching how hilariously odd your family winds up looking through the generations.

I've just seen the intro, but it totally takes me back to the 32bit days of JRPG goodness. Great stuff.

Omg, 1:1 resolution games look so sharp on Vita. The UI looks fantastic. (Currently creating my character)
Interesting how it has a french and english localization in the NA release.

The character design is just tremendous. Perfect amount of detail/complexity for the hardware, it looks very clean and stylized, but still very expressive.

Crafting your perfect clan through planning and stats raising. On top of watching how hilariously odd your family winds up looking through the generations.

Is there a way of "screwing up" your clan in terms of power and min/maxing? Or can you always course correct and level up/power up

Hikami

I keep switching difficulties.. hard to decide which one I want to stay on.
The ~70 hour one seems the most appealing right now though.

Parakeetman

Is there a way of "screwing up" your clan in terms of power and min/maxing? Or can you always course correct and level up/power up

Its pretty hard to totally screw things up considering you will have different variations from the first batch of offspring.
though i suppose you could screw up by not planning things out and one of the previous generations die off without any offspring.

Hikami

Wow, they weren't kidding when they said there were 100+ gods in the game
Just looking through the list, they have some pretty cool designs.
c8f76c14ae.jpg
a48dc53dcc.jpg

Ventara

Heh, just noticed that The PS Blog forgot to include Oreshika in the store update page, though they did remember to list the DLC, lol.

Anyways, I'm still on the fence about getting this. Not about the game/price (they're both great), but I'm not sure if I have any time for it soon.

Yasumi

Banned
Nice touch that when you save and quit, you can pretty much have closing credits like an anime (without the credits). Loved that about Wild Arms 3. Seems like you can get more songs too.

Also, the battle theme while you're in Fever mode or whatever is DELICIOUS.

cj_iwakura

Who composed the music? Was it anyone from the Shikigami team?

They also were responsible for Elemental Gearbolt and (the unlocalized) Gunparade March.

dcassell

Banned
It's not really like any other JRPG aside from its predecessor. If I had to describe it to someone simply, it's basically a JRPG version of the Sims. You take charge of your clan, raising characters from generation to generation to battle evil to free your family from a cursed placed on them. There's a general premise and a bit of backstory with gods but it's largely about your journey getting to that goal, the characters you raise, and all that. It takes that "create your own journey" feel from stuff like the Elder Scrolls but in that JRPG mould

Thank you! I'll most likely check this out soon. Sounds like a great premise.

KyleCross

Just saw the trailer for this and... it actually has me interested. I don't know why because I don't really like JRPGs (with the exception of Dragon Quest VIII), maybe it's the artstyle?

Hikami

Has anyone actually gotten the online features to work? Like creating QR codes or posting images to Twitter.

Hikami

Opening for the game is stunning and gorgeous, worth the $20 alone. What's the prologue?

Just sets up the game, it's also shown when you start a new game. The Prologue option is just there if you want to rewatch it though.

Seda

Opening for the game is stunning and gorgeous, worth the $20 alone. What's the prologue?

It's the very opening cutscene, which you'll see when you start a new game anyway. Well, more like a pre-opening cutscene, because there's a longer one right afterwards.

Also, online capabilities seem finicky to me, but I can post screenshots to Twitter by using the in-game screenshots function, which saves the screen to the 'All' folder on the Vita (rather than screenshots), and then using the LiveTweet app rather than the in-game Twitter functionality.

I spent my first few months in the forest dungeon, enemies seem really squishy at this point. There's a green bow in the slots that keeps showing up but I can never seem to land on it. I then folllowed Kochin's advice for my first offspring. We'll see how that goes. Now she's telling me the "Feast of all Demons" will occur in the Crystal Cavern next month. I don't know what that is.

Despite lots of things to be introduced to, so far this seems pretty neat.

Hikami

There's a green bow in the slots that keeps showing up but I can never seem to land on it.
The green weapon probably has some sort of requirement. I finally landed on one and got the weapon, then it said "Defeated 30x of this enemy" or something like that. Then the God associated with that weapon was freed and added to my pantheon.

Hikami

Usually not one to complain about this, but they really throw a lot of stuff at you early on. Kinda overwhelming.

It really does, I took a few minutes to read through Kochin's "Collected Wisdom" (bunch of guides) to understand some of the things better. Though she just keeps adding more and more to it..

Shizuka

Decided to go with Serious, since I'm don't want to spend too much time but I can't deal with it if it's too hard.

Seda

The green weapon probably has some sort of requirement. I finally landed on one and got the weapon, then it said "Defeated 30x of this enemy" or something like that. Then the God associated with that weapon was freed and added to my pantheon.

Having requirements for those items sounds familiar now that you mention it haha. Lots of small things to become acquainted with.

chicagocubsfan said:
Usually not one to complain about this, but they really throw a lot of stuff at you early on. Kinda overwhelming.

Oh yeah, for sure. I figure I'll just wing it for a while and things will become familiar eventually.

So I been playing this for about 4 hours. This game is .... unique? It is fun and good but difficult in many aspects.

How the hell can you view the map of the dungeon? So much going on with this time constraint too (Playing with dedicated)

vanx0

Just bought this game! so excited! played it for like an hour and so far so good :)... looking forward to play it on my spare time (if I have some... damn)

Shizuka

I feel like this game would've been a huge hit for a company like NISA or XSEED, if only they did it instead of Sony.

Parakeetman

would you prefer the alternative of trial by fire instead?

I feel like this game would've been a huge hit for a company like NISA or XSEED, if only they did it instead of Sony.

doubt it because localization does not changd the core gameplay mechanics which with how this title is designed really is not something that would resonate with the majority of the current gaming community.

though the fact thag they would have actually done some marketing would have helped vs sony doing the kicked from the nest release.

I love that they forgot to add this to the weekly Store Update post. I mean, I hate it.

the mods/staff in the comment section are just wow

one was defending it by pointing to bad customer reviews in Japan (presumably from Amazon Japan? they don't source it) and that it can be found for $10 just 6 months after release because you know price makes the game :-/

Reminds me of this little nugget from the PS Blog, not just price... file size as well!

$19.99 for La-Mulana Ex, a 209 MB indie platformer, is absolutely ridiculous. In 2 months, it’ll be in a 99 cent sale…..I’ll wait.

though the fact thag they would have actually done some marketing would have helped vs sony doing the kicked from the nest release.

Pretty much this is why it would've been bought more if someone else handled it. Couple that with an LE and NISA probably would've at least sold through that. NISA had interest too, they tried to get Sony to allow them to localize the first PSP game, but Sony wouldn't play ball.

That said, I'm not sure it would've been a "huge hit", but it would've at least been purchased more. Maybe as much as Freedom Wars.

Seda

Okay, so some early game spoilers I suppose.

So I went to the Crystal Cavern and found the red haired goddess lady whose name I forget at a cauldron of some sort. When the month of the "Feast of all Demons" started up, I had the choice to enter it. There's this crazy pathway with a bunch of new monsters and new items (mostly skills it seems) and a vehicle behind you pushing you forward. Battles were a bit tougher here but my initial three dudes could still handle it. At the end you fight Seimi in a battle that seems to be an given victory. You then get the first instrument (the Lute) and now I can go on a boat to more places.

My first offspring is here now but I guess they have to train for a while? And I can set one of my main guys to train her. Need to figure out how that works. There's also festivals that I'm not sure how to approach. So many gameplay elements #_#

Took a while for this game to click for me. At the start it keeps giving you stuff to do and read, but after a while it all makes sense. I too am playing on Serious, and so far I have had no issues.

randomkid

So do we all get different first dungeons? I haven't seen any forests, I started off at a seashore cave where I managed to free a god and get a sweet crazy powerful sword. Then the next dungeon was some kind of underground temple with eerie colored light, I experienced frenzy time here and got some powerful hammers that none of my dudes can use. I'm investing in weapon and armor shops at town and just performed my first Unite FUSION, and next month there's a festival of some sort happening.

Everything feels extremely polished and smooth in terms of interface and gameflow but that might be because I've only been playing so many old ass RPGs lately haha. It's fun to decide whether to go for leaders or not during battle and use attacks that will increase devotion or just experiment, seems like there are several elements to consider.

I am really enjoying this.

Also man oh man the music.

Hikami

My first clan leader died :(
That was kinda sad, and cool at the same time. Guess I'll stop here, been playing for too long lol. Really enjoying the game.

It doesn't look as if that English physical copy (the play-asia Asian region one) is actually a thing...just a page created a while back.

It's $29.95 on the AU store, but I think I'll pick this up after I give Helldivers a thorough play tonight.

Am I doing something wrong by targetting the leaders in battles? It makes the battles in the first dungeon quite easy and only take up a few seconds each. Maybe because I have two ranged party members, and I can immediately target the leader if he is on the back row?

Just making sure that I'm not foregoing substantial gains by picking off the other enemies before going for the leader..

Love the framerate/presentation/graphics/character design/music/cutscenes and dense feeling of the world so far.

Shouta

Am I doing something wrong by targetting the leaders in battles? It makes the battles in the first dungeon quite easy and only take up a few seconds each. Maybe because I have two ranged party members, and I can immediately target the leader if he is on the back row?

Just making sure that I'm not foregoing substantial gains by picking off the other enemies before going for the leader..

Love the framerate/presentation/graphics/character design/music/cutscenes and dense feeling of the world so far.

You're foregoing loot and XP by just targeting the leader, if the game systems remained the same from the first one as I recall.

Top Bottom