• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition |OT| Mourning Wood

Kiyoshi

Just finished this for the first time; despite having it since the original was released I found it tough so I've recently revisited it in easy mode.

I really did love every second of it. Stunning, amazing soundtrack, nice controls, really good sense of progression as areas open up and really nice upgrade paths. It's perfect. A couple of emotional moments. Amazing.

Just finished this for the first time; despite having it since the original was released I found it tough so I've recently revisited it in easy mode.

I really did love every second of it. Stunning, amazing soundtrack, nice controls, really good sense of progression as areas open up and really nice upgrade paths. It's perfect. A couple of emotional moments. Amazing.
Cheers. I finished this game about a month ago and loved it. I was majorly impressed by the visual presentation and controls. It's buttery smooth and just so much fun to play. It really does have a metroidvania feel to it. I have no idea why I waited so long to play the game. The story, while simple, is great. Loved the combination of exploration, puzzle solving, and action. Controls are tight. I really hope Moon Studios does a sequel.

Md Ray

Help! I'd like to downsample from higher res, but the game won't allow me. I do see resolutions above 1080p, but when I select, for e.g. 2560x1440, it switches back to my monitor's resolution: 1920x1080. PC specs: GTX 970/i5/8GB RAM.

Has anyone encountered this issue and know any solution?

EDIT: Apologies, couldn't find PC perf thread... So had to post here.

I finally started playing this (had it on Steam for ages) and it's just as great as I was expecting.

Took a little while to get used to some of the unique mechnics in the game, like using blue energy to create a save spot/level up, and also needing that for the charge-up blast ability.

Graphics are amazing, controls feel great, and the level-up system is quite satisfying. I'm a little disappointed that this game never got a Vita port (I just have a preference of playing 2D games on handhelds), but I understand since the game does look REALLY good.

Dipship31

I don't know if I'll get a response since this thread is kinda dead now, but I really want to play through this game since I've heard amazing things. I am getting some horrible slow down though. Here's a video kind of showing what's going on: https://vimeo.com/222121637 You can see I'm keeping a solid 90FPS at the top left, but right around 4 seconds into the video it starts to experience the slowdown which is driving me nuts and that's how it plays for probably 75% of my time with it. My system should have no issues running this I would think:

tP1t7Vr.jpg

Has anyone else had this problem and found a fix?

Kiyoshi

I don't know if I'll get a response since this thread is kinda dead now, but I really want to play through this game since I've heard amazing things. I am getting some horrible slow down though. Here's a video kind of showing what's going on: https://vimeo.com/222121637 You can see I'm keeping a solid 90FPS at the top left, but right around 4 seconds into the video it starts to experience the slowdown which is driving me nuts and that's how it plays for probably 75% of my time with it. My system should have no issues running this I would think:

Has anyone else had this problem and found a fix?

Strange, in your video Ori seems way too fast at the start; and then settles down to what seems like more of a normal speed. The engine timing seems off. Have you tried capping the framerate to 60fps or the refresh rate of your display? I'm not saying it's ideal as it could introduce input lag (although capping using an external too may help) but it's worth a try. It might make it playable.

Korranator

Not sure how people beat this game in 8-10hr range on their first run.

I'm at the 16hr range @ 80% Mt Horu and still haven't completed the game. While I have been taking my time, I'm nowhere near a 100% run.

dLMN8R

Not sure how people beat this game in 8-10hr range on their first run.

I'm at the 16hr range @ 80% Mt Horu and still haven't completed the game. While I have been taking my time, I'm nowhere near a 100% run.

I was pretty thorough and completed the game my first time around in ~9-10 hours, but that was the original version, not the definitive edition. If it was my first time through and I was playing the DE I could easily see it taking 12-15 hours.

Help! I'd like to downsample from higher res, but the game won't allow me. I do see resolutions above 1080p, but when I select, for e.g. 2560x1440, it switches back to my monitor's resolution: 1920x1080. PC specs: GTX 970/i5/8GB RAM.

Has anyone encountered this issue and know any solution?

EDIT: Apologies, couldn't find PC perf thread... So had to post here.

I could never get it to downsample for me either
It's a Unity game, isn't it? Unity limits you to your desktop resolution. I don't think downscaling 2D games is worthwhile anyway.

Ori-GAF, I need help.

I'm at 80% completion on my first playthrough of the original game. I'm in the Sorrow Pass area, just about to enter the upper part of it through a vertical tunnel blocked by a breakable wall.

The last thing I did was push a few boulders around to block three of those insta death beams. Instead of continuing, I decided to go back to my spirit flame to save the game. Afterwards though, the boulder blocking one of the beams moved for some reason and now I can't re-enter the area.

Am I screwed? I have a feeling this is a game-breaking bug and I won't be able to continue.

My plan was to play the Definitive Edition after finishing the original, but I guess I've finally found a reason to so earlier if I really can't proceed.

I really love this game, but this is super frustrating...

I'll try to update this with pictures later.

EDIT: Is there an ability to destroy walls that are above you?

I believe you can with the charge jump if you have that ability. You hold down one of the triggers and then jump.

That seems to be right, except I don't have that ability yet...

I'm here: https://youtu.be/GwDSTtK75_A?t=16m12s, but I'm to the left of the leftmost beam and the ball is gone, so I can't pass through the tiny tunnel anymore... And I haven't smashed the wall to the right yet.

After reading some YouTube comments, this seems to have happened to a few other people... Guess restarting is my only option ugh

Top Bottom