• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps is AAA 2D Metroidvania

I'm not complaining about the visual style or mechanics. The game is lovingly created, but requires too much investment in leveling up and figuring out where you are on the map. It's a high cognitive load game.

a AAA side scroller, not hardly. Other than visuals fidelity there is nothing new here, just another one. Thats great love the genre, but its a wait for sale

HotPocket69

Banned
Based on what I’ve seen, it already seems to have the same exact sad bastard Don Bluth tone as the first game which for me, will wear thin fast since it’s been done already.

Im glad they changed the combat to a more action melee focus and the newer effects look nice, but in a sea of other pathfinder games that have been released since 2015, I really don’t see what stands out about it.

Pre-installed and ready to roll day one

Thanks Game Pass

I'm going to buy the game on Steam full price just to support the devs. They haven't made anything else besides Ori and hopefully, they continue making amazing metroidvanias or maybe something else. They have the talent, assuming, of course, Will of the Whisps turns out as amazing as it sounds. I don't expect it to surpass Hollow Knight but if it's better than the Blind Forest I'm happy.

HotPocket69

Banned
All these similarities to Hollow Knight I’m hearing about are turning me off even more.

I’ll still buy it though just to see for myself.

Also, Hollow Knight sucks.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Gameplay aside, I've never quite understood why both Ori and Trine goes for a similar highly saturated art style but with Trine nobody cares, while here it's always like "best style evahhh".

The game looks interesting, we have not had a "AAA" 2D game in a very long time as far as I know. However I got tired of the first one about 2 hours in, I don't like floaty controls.

This game is going to be amazing. I wish castlevania would get this treatment. Day fucking one with gamepass!
Do you prefer the game or Gamepass? sometimes I really can't tell which one people like, the recurring offerings to their cult's grand leader or the actual games on the service?

As of now:
1 - GamePass costs more than PSNow
2 - GamePass offers less games than PSNow (for the amount of outstanding games on GamePass I'll buy the one I care for when I feel the need for it)
3 - GamePass is more expensive than buying your own games over the long run (5 years it's bad, if you pay for 7 years it makes no sense at all compared to building a library)... I ran the math in many different threads before

I will not subscribe to either of these services, I just wonder if the guys (or gals) that are pushing GamePass so hard have looked deeply at what subscribing means for their interests in the long run - because they really become sponsors of Microsoft after a while.

think about it:
1 - If you game a lot some games are bound not to be on the service, so you will end up buying anyway (400 games is not that much compared to the combined libraries of multiple generations of consoles)
2 - If you don't game that much it will cost you more than getting the games you play
3 - If you play the same few games most of the time, well you should definitely buy them
4 - If you are a parent and think that if you get the service to your kid(s) they won't ask games at their birthday anymore, you are deluded

So the target audience is people who don't like the games they play all that much, they just play then move on to the next game on the list, not discerning what is really worth their time. Or those who get the 1$ for three months and forget to cancel.

Last edited:

quickwhips

The game looks interesting, we have not had a "AAA" 2D game in a very long time as far as I know. However I got tired of the first one about 2 hours in, I don't like floaty controls.

Do you prefer the game or Gamepass? sometimes I really can't tell which one people like, the recurring offerings to their cult's grand leader or the actual games on the service?

As of now:
2 - GamePass offers less games than PSNow (for the amount of outstanding games on GamePass I'll buy the one I care for when I feel the need for it)
3 - GamePass is more expensive than buying your own games over the long run (5 years it's bad, if you pay for 7 years it makes no sense at all compared to building a library)... I ran the math in many different threads before

I will not subscribe to either of these services, I just wonder if the guys (or gals) that are pushing GamePass so hard have looked deeply at what subscribing means for their interests in the long run - because they really become sponsors of Microsoft after a while.

think about it:
1 - If you game a lot some games are bound not to be on the service, so you will end up buying anyway (400 games is not that much compared to the combined libraries of multiple generations of consoles)
2 - If you don't game that much it will cost you more than getting the games you play
3 - If you play the same few games most of the time, well you should definitely buy them
4 - If you are a parent and think that if you get the service to your kid(s) they won't ask games at their birthday anymore, you are deluded

So the target audience is people who don't like the games they play all that much, they just play then move on to the next game on the list, not discerning what is really worth their time. Or those who get the 1$ for three months and forget to cancel.
The first game is amazing. Gamepass is the most affordable way to play all the great games microsoft has made.

SleepDoctor

Banned

As of now:

think about it:

Go try to derail another thread

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Downloaded it the other day on Game Pass, now just waiting for it to unlock. If can actually get all the way through the game this time, I will also buy it - I want to OWN this game.

SleepDoctor

Banned
it's not me who mentions Gamepass in every single thread, why can't I say I don't like it and explain why? just drop naming Gamepass is no good.

I don't care. Take that shit elsewhere. You guys spend more time bitching about shit you don't like rather than actually playing anything or even adding to a discussion. Its played out.

VAL0R

Banned
Flying to my mountaintop retreat in New Zealand tonight to play this at 00:01 Eastern!
Ori-Will-Wisps_06-10-18.jpg

Shai-Tan

Banned
I loved the art style of the original - but never played it. It's one of the wish list game that someday I would like to play - but not so sure what the game is about.
If the 2nd one is Metrovania type... I would love to check it out!

The first one was my favorite platformer of that year. Try that out too.

I've been playing through the DE this week in anticipation. I'd forgotten how butt fucking amazing the platforming in the game is. I also forgot how boring the combat is. But I've seen a lot of talk that combat is much improved here. Can't wait.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I pre-bought and it looks beautiful

It’s giving me an excuse to play more Xbox games besides stuff that’s BC.

So many different people praised the first one. I thought I’d join in.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Fuck i'm so undecited about this one, i'm not really good with platform but i love metroidvania and this look outstanding.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

For those who have never played the 1st game, is there a demo available for the Xbox? Also how much better is it than say Rayman on PS4? Or are we talking same levels of frustration in terms of gameplay...

Shai-Tan

Banned
For those who have never played the 1st game, is there a demo available for the Xbox? Also how much better is it than say Rayman on PS4? Or are we talking same levels of frustration in terms of gameplay...

There is repetition to some of it but mostly the fun kind. Maybe slightly more difficult than Rayman which hid most of its difficulty behind extra challenges/completionism

Top Bottom