• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori Definitive Edition PC Release Delayed | Upgrade Fee = $5 | New Trailer

Coxy100

Banned
I can't get the store to load (the new merchandise linked in OP) is it just coz I'm on mobile or is it down for others too?

Cels

i'm in...whenever they release it.

Why is reading so difficult for some people?

There is new content.

i think you misunderstand, he probably feels that 21:9 support should be contained in a free update to the original game and not limited to people who buy the definitive edition

Lichter

Great price for the upgrade, I'll upgrade day one en XBO.

Any comment on the physical release since the announcement?

There is new content.

They are adding 21:9 support to the definitive edition but not to the original. So if one wanted to play with an ultra wide monitor natively, they would need to cough up the 5 bucks.

No need to be a prick. You can calm down.

AlanOC91

They are adding 21:9 support to the definitive edition but not to the original. So if one wanted to play with an ultra wide monitor natively, they would need to cough up the 5 bucks.

To be fair your comment made it look like you were saying 21:9 is all they were adding.

So it's available only on XB1 for a period of time?

That wouldn't explain why Microsoft are bringing their largest IP's to PC at the same time as Xbox One. There's no corperate master plan in regards to delaying the PC version of Ori Definitive Edition.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Where was native 21:9 support confirmed? Trailer mentioned nothing about it. Is there an official changelog somewhere?

I NEED TO SEE THE RECEIPTS!!

There is new content.

i'm in...whenever they release it.

i think you misunderstand, he probably feels that 21:9 support should be contained in a free update to the original game and not limited to people who buy the definitive edition

This is exactly what I was afraid of when I criticized them in the first thread. They said it wasn't a cash grab and it's better for all Ori-players ... yeah right.

Abandoning your 1 year old product because you want to add DLC is a terrible idea.

This is exactly what I was afraid of when I criticized them in the first thread. They said it wasn't a cash grab and it's better for all Ori-players ... yeah right.

Abandoning your 1 year old product because you want to add DLC is a terrible idea.

how is this different than X-com: Enemy Within or Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition?

This isn't unusual and if you already own it it's just $5. If you don't want to buy it you don't have to, your game remains as it is

whitehawk

Banned
I own Ori, but haven't played it yet. Should I finish it first and then upgrade, or upgrade now before my first play through?

Kilau

I feel like a crazy person because I just can't get into this game and don't see why people think it looks amazing. The art style seems very similar to other side scrolling games of late.

For $5 though I might upgrade and give it another shot.

how is this different than X-com: Enemy Within or Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition?

This isn't unusual and if you already own it it's just $5. If you don't want to buy it you don't have to, your game remains as it is

I'm not saying it's different; I'm just saying it's a terrible concept.

You don't have to buy it, yeah, I think everyone is aware of this, but that won't send a message. There's nothing wrong with criticizing bad decisions!

If all games were made this way, I'd never buy a game at release because I know they could just abandon the original game in favor of the GOTY/DLC-version. I'm sure a lot of people would do the same.

FloatOn

I'm a huge loser and didn't finish the game when I first played it due to the last dungeon being too hard

did they add baby mode?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I feel like a crazy person because I just can't get into this game and don't see why people think it looks amazing. The art style seems very similar to other side scrolling games of late.

For $5 though I might upgrade and give it another shot.

Like what? I'd love to give these other sidescrollers a try if they're just as good.

I understand the additional content is probably worth the 5 dollars. No doubt about it. But I think it's extremely shitty to lock away resolution options behind DLC. How can anyone defend that?

^^ This, my bad. I get the issue.

You're good. Didn't mean to come off as an ass. :(

I understand the additional content is probably worth the 5 dollars. No doubt about it. But I think it's extremely shitty to lock away resolution options behind DLC. How can anyone defend that?
:(

Perhaps it wasn't ready for the original release? The game took 4+ years to make - they put a lot of time in it to hit their deadline. I think Thomas even said that they planned on having some of this DE stuff in the original if they could, but they just ran out of time. When you get someone like Microsoft to back you, it complicates things.
At any rate, there is a ton of great new stuff in the DE. It's well worth the $5.

I'm not saying it's different; I'm just saying it's a terrible concept.

You don't have to buy it, yeah, I think everyone is aware of this, but that won't send a message. There's nothing wrong with criticizing bad decisions!

If all games were made this way, I'd never buy a game at release because I know they could just abandon the original game in favor of the GOTY/DLC-version. I'm sure a lot of people would do the same.

Welcome to my life, where I simply wait for games to get cheap and/or for a cheap version of the complete collection to happen. I just bought Dark Souls II SOTFS a month ago and it feels great.

yeah, something like that should be available to all versions, i can't disagree with that. The rest of the package seems fair enough though, especially at $5.

Kilau

Like what? I'd love to give these other sidescrollers a try if they're just as good.

I mean to say that the style doesn't seem especially noteworthy to me and reminded of games like Rayman Origins/Legends, Badlands, Creavures or even Trine. I'm not saying it's a like for like copy of those games, just to me it evoked that feeling.

Again, I'm not trashing Ori, I just don't get it.

It's not as easy as that. If it was merely about resolutions, we would've absolutely patched that in, but adding 21:9 support in a 2d game is a hell of a thing to do. We had to go in and adjust almost every single 'level' in the game so that 21:9 would properly be supported.

Think about it: We're using 'ScrollLocks' everywhere in the game - they're little triggers that tell the camera to not go any further. They were originally laid out for 16:9 resolutions, so if they're there, they need to be adjusted so that 21:9 actually works, if they're not there and you just see the end of the level and there's no art there, you have to go in and put all the art in there to support that, otherwise you just either see where the level ends or you just see a black graphic filling up a ton of the screen, which just didn't look good.

21:9 support was a hell of a challenge to bring in and we even made it work with all the cutscenes - Most other games just put black bars to the left and right of cutscenes (even 3d games like GTAV, etc.), but we didn't think that was good enough and adjusted all the art so that 21:9 would properly work.

Remember that Ori was originally made for a 16:9 aspect ratio - If you now have that much more data on every single frame, there need to be actual graphics there.

JayB1920

It's not as easy as that. If it was merely about resolutions, we would've absolutely patched that in, but adding 21:9 support in a 2d game is a hell of a thing to do. We had to go in and adjust almost every single 'level' in the game so that 21:9 would properly be supported.

Think about it: We're using 'ScrollLocks' everywhere in the game - they're little triggers that tell the camera to not go any further. They were originally laid out for 16:9 resolutions, so if they're there, they need to be adjusted so that 21:9 actually works, if they're not there and you just see the end of the level and there's no art there, you have to go in and put all the art in there to support that, otherwise you just either see where the level ends or you just see a black graphic filling up a ton of the screen, which just didn't look good.

21:9 support was a hell of a challenge to bring in and we even made it work with all the cutscenes - Most other games just put black bars to the left and right of cutscenes (even 3d games like GTAV, etc.), but we didn't think that was good enough and adjusted all the art so that 21:9 would properly work.

Remember that Ori was originally made for a 16:9 aspect ratio - If you now have that much more data on every single frame, there need to be actual graphics there.

Thanks for the explanation. Can't wait to play again.

webkatt

Is it advisable to wait for this version over vanilla?

I mean I have vanilla but have not played it yet. Should I wait for this version and upgrade my copy?

Is it advisable to wait for this version over vanilla?

I mean I have vanilla but have not played it yet. Should I wait for this version and upgrade my copy?

no one has played it so no one can tell you.

All we know is that if you're going to play the definitive edition that you'll have to start from the beginning

so if youre at all interested in ever playing that version and can wait i would just play that version instead of vanilla

Physical edition please, I want it on my shelf!

I mentioned in the giveaway thread, but when I tweeted @OriBlindForest asking "what are the odds of a collector's physical edition", their response was "not too shabby".

Take that as you will. I cannot WAIT!!

Linkyn

Shame about the delay, but the cheap upgrade is definitely nice. Really wish more games had the option of later covering the difference between standard and deluxe versions of the game.

Strider

I was expecting $10 for the upgrade so $5 is niiiiice.

Shame about the PC delay though. I have a week off starting the 21st and was going to play this then :(

BriGuy

Did they add bosses? The lack of boss encounters was one of the few disappointments I had with the original.

Exentryk

$5 upgrade is great. Delay on Steam works out for me as I'm busy with Bravely Second right now.

Trailer was awesome!

Also is this cross buy for the Windows 10 version?

Just googled... No cross buy no upgrade for me. I'd play it on the PC in 4k but I'm not gonna pay full price again to do that.

Top Bottom