• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original Snake Voice David Hayter Has No Love For Hideo Kojima (Kotaku)

entremet

Are all voice actors this snivelingly pathetic or is this trait limited to Hayter alone. Get over it, you lost.

Remember, they asked him the question.

He answered it.

VA's getting attached to characters isn't a new thing, especially since many play their characters for decades sometimes.

Actors, in general, tend to sensitive types too. Being replaced for the final game is a bit a slap in the face.

Hayter , IMo is nothing special.
Solid snake was defined by his actions , not by hs voice.

Snake Voice in MGS5 was even superior , IMO.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Wanted to add that while I do love Kojima theres no doubt he has an ego. I mean on the collectors edition disk there's a documentary disk with all of his Hollywood buddies telling him how great he is. Hardly if any of his team whose actually worked with him all this time.
You're a good poster. I look forward to reading more from you

A lot of people in here quick to jump on Hayter for one reason or another, but you can't deny that Kojima and co. didn't handle it well.

I'd be perfectly happy with Cam Clarke as the VA for snake in MGS5, if Kojima decided that Hayter had to be replaced.

Cam always was the best Snake, anyway.

A lot of people in here quick to jump on Hayter for one reason or another, but you can't deny that Kojima and co. didn't handle it well.

It is particularly odd when one factors that Hayter didn't go out of his way to criticize the decision, he was being interviewed. Fuck was the man supposed to say "oh, i loves it"? But no, he was honest about how he felt, and that is some great crime.

JaseMath

I know where he's coming from. Playing MGS:V is like one 60 hour long douche chill.

sDz2KS5.jpg

What the fuck is this?

JackelZXA

I've wondered at times if part of why Konami got so mad with Kojima is because he spent so much money on celebrities and was starting to do it again for silent hills. I know konami is evil criminals, but this probably had something to do with it, too. Sony wouldn't care as much, but I feel like that may have been a significant factor in the problems mgsv had. The guys that talked the most in tapes were the guys that were career voice actors.

HGH

Banned
It is particularly odd when one factors that Hayter didn't go out of his way to criticize the decision, he was being interviewed. Fuck was the man supposed to say "oh, i loves it"? But no, he was honest about how he felt, and that is some great crime.
The title doesn't help. If it said "GameInformer Interview" or "GI Podcast with David Hayter on his working conditions" there'd probably be a bit less hate. The way it's phrased right now looks like a dirty tabloid title looking for a scoop.

soldat7

Hayter is the voice of Snake. Replacing him was a shit move to fans who were buying these games for 17 years or so. It made no sense and was just Kojima's ego going after someone who was more famous.

Some could care less, others cared a lot and to those people, this was almost as shit as ACT2 was.

This summarizes my feelings exactly. Been playing and collecting Metal Gear since the beginning, and the voice actor swap felt unnecessary and incredibly perplexing.

"Konami is evil. Konami is bad. Konami did all wrong. Kojima is innocent.

Really this is nothing but media spin.

Kojima was given 7 years to make a new engine and MGS5. He had two things and he did not delivered on the latter.

Instead he wasted his time on Twitter, Got Sutherland for no reason (just to satisfy his Hollywood lust), showed off an almost naked sniper (shameless). On top of that he replaced Hayter who gave away half of his pay check for TTS, promoted Kojima's game everywhere he went for free by praising the series and doing his amazing voice. Tell me, whether Sutherland would have done the same? Not a chance.

In the end we got a game that had phenomenal gameplay with garbage story, tons of content cut and Chapter 2 which does not deserve to call a Chapter.

Konami did nothing wrong. They got fed up and rightly fired him.

If you want to know how egoistic Kojima has become just check out some articles when he announced his Sony partnership. Sony has no say how he works etc. In short, it will be another 5-7 years before we see his next game.

On the other hand, we have brilliant developers like CDPR who developer Witcher 3 in just 3 years.

Kojima is overrated. That is the bottom line.

Dunkley

Pretty much, honestly I don't get why people are calling him salty and unable to let go when it just so happens that everything else he could talk about with journalists besides Metal Gear Solid apparently just isn't interesting enough to interview about.

Honestly if I could find just one interview about his work on Dragon Age Inquisition or his thoughts so far on Bloodstained I'd be happy, although I'm sure if there was one it'd be asking him about Metal Gear Solid too.

KJRS_1993

I agree with this 100%.
There is only so much money a publisher can keep on pumping into a project. After so many delays, so much wasted money (was it 15 songs ended up unused?), a huge number of compromises (the beginning of the game was cut out and sold separately ffs) and the final product was 'still' shipped unfinished.

Who the eff would have kept a dude with such piss poor management skills around?

It's difficult to see how anyone could describe Kojima as a "one of the greats" developer. He'd have been jettisoned from a million other companies long before Konami sacked him.

Edit : and for all the fuss and drama, Snake only spoke like four lines. Hayter may as well have stayed on.

I agree with this 100%.
There is only so much money a publisher can keep on pumping into a project. After so many delays, so much wasted money (was it 15 songs ended up unused?), a huge number of compromises (the beginning of the game was cut out and sold separately ffs) and the final product was 'still' shipped unfinished.

Who the eff would have kept a dude with such piss poor management skills around?

It's difficult to see how anyone could describe Kojima as a "one of the greats" developer. He'd have been jettisoned from a million other companies long before Konami sacked him.

So are we just going to ignore how Konami just dumped Team SIlent out of the blue? Or how they dumped IGA's Castlevania's in favor of Mercurysteam's? Or how they pretty much dumped all AAA games in general?

Dude might be a nobody today if it wasnt for Kojima giving him the role as Snake so he needs to put his ego in check and stfu. Actors get replaced all the time.

I agree with this 100%.

Edit : and for all the fuss and drama, Snake only spoke like four lines. He may as well have stayed on.

Exactly, in fact in one of the interviews I read he would make a certain music composer work over and over again. He would like them and the make them change again. In the end he won't even use them.

This is really poor practice. No employee would work like that...Konami might have received complaints from fellow staff about his behavior with staff. I know this is speculation but hey, everything in the Konami/Kojima drama has been nothing but a big speculation.

But if I would have to choose between Konami and Kojima, I would choose Konami as the innocent party.

He's right though.

His Snake voice is iconic. There was nothing wrong his performance. Konami was just chasing more money and wanted a bigger name but it's a big middle finger to fans of the previous games.

beinfilms

Here's my 2 cents on the issue:

I still love Kojima, and will continue to support him. (I'm looking forward to his new game, whatever it ends up being.)

I still love Hayter, and will continue to support him, too. (I'm pretty hyped for him to be in Bloodstained, and I always keep an eye out for his name on things.)

That said, Hayter not being in MGSV was a damn shame, especially considering the way it was handled by Kojima and/or Konami.

It's a good thing TPP is about as essential to the plot of Metal Gear as PW and POps.

KJRS_1993

So are we just going to ignore how Konami just dumped Team SIlent out of the blue? Or how they dumped IGA's Castlevania's in favor of Mercurysteam's? Or how they pretty much dumped all AAA games in general?

I think the new direction for Castlevania was wrong. After the MGSV drama, I'm not surprised Konami left the AAA space for something more profitable (as any smart business would). But just because a company changes direction into something I don't particularly like doesn't make it "evil".

Edit: I'm acutely aware this is moving too far off topic now.

cLOUDo

You really think Kojima hates him and for that reason they replace him?
The guy wants a better actor thats all.

Besides The dude is overrated as fuck, can't stand him in MGS4

I fell out of love with MGS a long time ago, but I will maintain that Hayter's performance as Snake was always among the highlights of every installment I played, even if he wasn't exactly the most nuanced and seasoned of actors. There's a pulpy quality to his Solid Snake, and it felt like his role and character. Once he was replaced, it pretty much removed the last bit of interest I had in the franchise. I've not played MGS5 and I'm never going to.

I'll agree with the folks here who say that he had been getting progressively worse with each subsequent entry though. If you compare his work in MGS1 to the one in MGS4, he actually delivers a better acting performance in the first game. Doesn't really make sense since an actor should improve the more they hone their craft, but for whatever reason he just didn't convince nearly as much as Old Snake.

And of course there are people here treating Kojima like a sacred cow who can do no wrong. His unhealthy obsession with Hollywood talent and tendency to mismanage a project/pour money down a sinkhole is far too often glossed over by those who believe he's the best thing since sliced bread. As much as I hate what Konami have become, it's so easy to see why they fired him before development on MGS5 had even finished.

Mr. RHC

Kojima was given 7 years to make a new engine and MGS5. He had two things and he did not delivered on the latter.

Instead he wasted his time on Twitter, Got Sutherland for no reason (just to satisfy his Hollywood lust), showed off an almost naked sniper (shameless). On top of that he replaced Hayter who gave away half of his pay check for TTS, promoted Kojima's game everywhere he went for free by praising the series and doing his amazing voice. Tell me, whether Sutherland would have done the same? Not a chance.

In the end we got a game that had phenomenal gameplay with garbage story, tons of content cut and Chapter 2 which does not deserve to call a Chapter.

If you want to know how egoistic Kojima has become just check out some articles when he announced his Sony partnership. Sony has no say how he works etc. In short, it will be another 5-7 years before we see his next game.

On the other hand, we have brilliant developers like CDPR who developer Witcher 3 in just 3 years.

Come on, son.

nstead he wasted his time on Twitter, Got Sutherland for no reason (just to satisfy his Hollywood lust),

I find it ironic to make an confrontative argument on Kojima's lust for Hollywood when looking at Metal Gear of all things.

On top of that he replaced Hayter who gave away half of his pay check for TTS,

What is TTS? The Twin Snakes? That half-baked caricature of Metal Gear Solid? Ha!

HA! Hayter should have kept his full pay check.

everywhere he went for free by praising the series and doing his amazing voice

Of course he did, which voice actor or anyone who worked on Metal Gear didn't use this opportunity.

Kojima is overrated. That is the bottom line

I love the Witcher 3 fan wank in every other thread. The Witcher does not have half of the cultural impact nor the influence of the Metal Gear series. Not even close, like not at all.

I agree with this 100%.

No he wouldn't have been jettisoned by anyone. In fact he had many studios asking him to work with him after he left Konami.

I think the new direction for Castlevania was wrong. After the MGSV drama, I'm not surprised Konami left the AAA space for something more profitable (as any smart business would). But just because a company changes direction into something I don't particularly like doesn't make it "evil".

The point is that Konami simply wanted out of AAA development in general. There wasn't any particular thing wrong with KojiPro's budgets other than the fact that they were AAA and Konami no longer wanted to be in that space. Keep in mind that Konami's president is the one that asked Kojima to make Silent Hills. So he did that knowing that it would be an expensive endeavor. Also worth keeping in mind that as far as rumored budgets go for open-world games, MGSV is actually quite cheap. Which is pretty amazing considering that it was released on five platforms and was polished on every one of them.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly, in fact in one of the interviews I read he would make a certain music composer work over and over again. He would like them and the make them change again. In the end he won't even use them.

This is really poor practice. No employee would work like that...Konami might have received complaints from fellow staff about his behavior with staff. I know this is speculation but hey, everything in the Konami/Kojima drama has been nothing but a big speculation.

But if I would have to choose between Konami and Kojima, I would choose Konami as the innocent party.
There were better artists with worse practices and you're forgetting that Kojima isn't exactly out of work when this "really poor practice" would be known to anyone when armchair CEOs on forums seem to be experts on it.

eot

Banned
I don't know if his performance was the result of Kojima's direction, or if it was just his portrayal of the character, but as iconic as it may be I think it's shit. Dude needs to accept that it's a job like any other and while he was part of the series for a long time that doesn't automatically grant him the role in perpetuity. Being so salty in public over and over just makes him look bad.

Dunno about overrated, but it definitely seems he was acting like a Diva/Hollywood bro too much.

He hurt his own game in the end IMO, that's the most damning thing.

I don't know if his performance was the result of Kojima's direction, or if it was just his portrayal of the character, but as iconic as it may be I think it's shit. Dude needs to accept that it's a job like any other and while he was part of the series for a long time that doesn't automatically grant him the role in perpetuity. Being so salty in public over and over just makes him look bad.

It definitely not that as Kojima has apparently never even met him.

Dunkley

Come on, son.

What is TTS? The Twin Snakes? That half-baked caricature of Metal Gear Solid? Ha!

HA! Hayter should have kept his full pay check.

I love the Witcher 3 fan wank in every other thread. The Witcher does not have half of the cultural impact nor the influence of the Metal Gear series. Not even close, like not at all.

You okay dude?

Like what point are you trying to make by picking apart his post and segmentally kneejerking it?

Replacing Hayter with a likely much more expensive VA who didn't end up saying much at all is probably one of the dumb decisions that led to Kojima being fired and MGSV ending up an unfinished mess, so Hayter gets the last laugh.

Ridley327

Oh good, we're finally at the point of the reality distortion field in which we ignore how much talent Konami has driven away over the past decade, with reports of how poorly they've treated their employees in that time, and somehow it's still Kojima's fault that Konami is the bad guy.

You really think Kojima hates him and for that reason they replace him?
The guy wants a better actor thats all.

Besides The dude is overrated as fuck, can't stand him in MGS4

How a grown up would handle that situation.

"Hey David, I appreciate the work you've done with the series over the years, but we're going to go a different route for Snake's voice this game."

How Kojima handled it.

He didn't. He did nothing and left Hayter to call Konami to be told he wouldn't be needed. After 2 decades you honestly don't think Hayter deserved at least a phone call?

KOMANI

KOMANI
It definitely not that as Kojima has apparently never even met him.
That's right. It was Konami's decision for Hayter sounding the way he does in both 4 and PW. Konami came into the recording booth, and dictated Zimmerman and Hayter to do that voice.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Oh good, we're finally at the point of the reality distortion field in which we ignore how much talent Konami has driven away over the past decade, with reports of how poorly they've treated their employees in that time, and somehow it's still Kojima's fault that Konami is the bad guy.
But I was disappointed by his game, so obviously he must be the bad guy. This is fact.

Top Bottom