• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original Snake Voice David Hayter Has No Love For Hideo Kojima (Kotaku)

I think seeing Kojima's next game will truly tell me if I respect Kojima or not.

I have no idea if the reason I respect the Metal Gear games are because of his decisions, or the talent of those he worked with. I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I don't respect his decisions with sloppy story telling and unabashed pervert stuff.

On topic:
Hayter was the best.

Kojima's ego? Hayter actually thinks that Kojima is jealous of his popularity.

He's pretty clear abou who didn't want Hayter to be on board for MGSV, so yeah, this is totally on Kojima's roof.

Hell, Kojima stated he wanted a more mature voice for MGSV despite the fact
we only get to hear the actual Big Boss for like 5 minutes.
Sutherland is just
the doctor's voice, abd yet Kojima didn't want Hayter for the real Big Boss.

This is totally Kojima's ego.

Jigorath

Banned
Hayter was straight up bad in Peace Walker. Though I didn't think very highly of Sutherland's performance in V either. I'll just chalk it up to poor voice direction.

Lingitiz

He has every right to be pissed, but it's still a bad look to be so publicly salty and bad mouthing Kojima whenever asked about it.

He doesn't seem that salty, more annoyed that everyone was egging him on for two+ years when he was actually replaced without notice on a franchise he was pretty important in making iconic.

MGS wouldn't be as big if Snake wasn't Snake, and Hayter has a lot to thank for that.

I've read a lot about Kojima in the last six+ months after MGSV. A lot of info, plus the fact that the last three games of his have been less than stellar story/script wise, lead me to think that what I liked about MGS 1-3 isn't all about Kojima. We'll see how truly great he is being let go and free to do his own thing.

Faustek

Like Hayter all you want but Sutherland was great in MGSV.

Was he really? Don't get me wrong I'm used to it now but he can't get the classic Hayter Ham down as I've gotten used to love.
Yeah Hayter always hammed it up. Not always a bad things folks.

He's pretty clear abou who didn't want Hayter to be on board for MGSV, so yeah, this is totally on Kojima's roof.

Sutherland is just

You aren't explaining how exactly that has anything to do with with Kojima's ego. He obviously wasn't all that impressed with Hayter's voice acting and wanted to replace him. How does that say anything about his ego? Keep in mind that Akio Otsuka, Snake's Japanese voice actor, has voiced him in every single game. So he's not someone looking to replace everyone, he specifically wanted Hayter out of there.

If they were going to change him it should've been with 3. The change doesn't make any sense here even with the twist.
Even if you weren't too pleased with his performance, new snake is a mute and most of his dialogue is optional

Robot Pants

Good. Replacing Hayter was a terrible mistake and Phantom Pain is one of the worst games
I've ever experienced. Kojima has sucked in my book for quite a while.
I don't have any love for him either

He wasn't fired, he assumed he would be reprising the role. He's been very immature about it and the way the internet consistently takes is side is strange to me.

I dont see how Sutherland made MGSV a worse game.

Sutherland is just a consequence of Kojima's utter shit script for MGSV.

Kojima's ego? Hayter actually thinks that Kojima is jealous of his popularity.
I don't know about all that but I do believe Kojima could possibly have quite an ego. He has to have his name on everything and even two companies named after him. I've never seen a Zelda game with "A Miyamoto Game" on the front of the box.

Dude seems calm and humble in pictures but you never know. Just my take.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

Sutherland is just

Yeah bro, a game director changing the VA for a character is only something done when he wants to feel like a real big man and fuel his real big ego.

K' Dash

Gameplay aside, MGSV is complete and utter garbage, he should be thankful that he was the voice of Snake in the 3 games that defined the IP.

Here's the hard truth; anyone could have been snake. Nothing about Hayter's performance was stellar. It was the dialogue and situations snake was in that made the character. The community did what communities do for stuff like this, they obsessed and inflated his ego. He's just a one note VO artist.

Alienous

Hayter was awful in Peace Walker and I'm glad I didn't have to listen to a second of that growling nonsense voice in Ground Zeroes or The Phantom Pain.

Kiefer might have been boring but he didn't sound like a joke. Hayter's Snake voice is a parody of itself at this point.

Dicer

Banned
MGS was garbage after 3 anyway (IMHO) so Hayter, you are better off, and Kojima I'm not expecting much from him TBH, him and Konami are the mistakes...

Wereroku

You aren't explaining how exactly that has anything to do with with Kojima's ego. He obviously wasn't all that impressed with Hayter's voice acting and wanted to replace him. How does that say anything about his ego? Keep in mind that Akio Otsuka, Snake's Japanese voice actor, has voiced him in every single game. So he's not someone looking to replace everyone, he specifically wanted Hayter out of there.

Does Kojima even know enough english to tell if Hayter was any better or worse that Sutherland? I think he just wanted a link to hollywood in his game.

Tuck

My thoughts on MGS5 aside, Hayter will always be the real Snake for me. Nothing Kojima could do would change that.

Here's the hard truth; anyone could have been snake. Nothing about Hayter's performance was stellar. It was the dialogue and situations snake was in that made the character. The community did what communities do for stuff like this, they obsessed and inflated his ego. He's just a one note VO artist.

One trick VO? Sure, I mean it's basically a side gig at this point for him.

But I doubt that Snake would be iconic without his voice, it's probably the most iconic voice in all of gaming.

Wereroku

Proof? I have never seen or heard him speak english.

Ehhh who cares. I just don't think he wanted to get rid of him for his performance since he considers the Japanese versions to be the true ones anyway. I think he just wanted to be part of Hollywood.

K' Dash

Funny thing is, even after 60 hours I expected Hayters voice the few times Snake was going to talk, then he started talking and it felt like watching a dubbed movie with a bad voice actor.

Just my 2 cents.

Proof? I have never seen or heard him speak english.
That was more like a "...yes? >_>"

tumblr_lrjhiofp841r3opg1o1_250.gif

Faustek

Does Kojima even know enough english to tell if Hayter was any better or worse that Sutherland? I think he just wanted a link to hollywood in his game.

That is an educated guess....probably true though. Still I wonder if this was truly everything Kojima wanted frim MGSV. Not like he was working under same conditions as the prior games.

Corpekata

Banned
Even though Hayter is over the top in his acting, his voice fit the universe and fit with the other voice actors better. The whole "grounded" approach didn't work out with Kiefer sounding relatively normal but Kaz being his usual animated self.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Hayter was awful in Peace Walker and I'm glad I didn't have to listen to a second of that growling nonsense voice in Ground Zeroes or The Phantom Pain.

Kiefer might have been boring but he didn't sound like a joke. Hayter's Snake voice is a parody of itself at this point.
Hayter was perfect. MGS is a ridiculous anime.

Ridley327

He doesn't seem that salty, more annoyed that everyone was egging him on for two+ years when he was actually replaced without notice on a franchise he was pretty important in making iconic.

MGS wouldn't be as big if Snake wasn't Snake, and Hayter has a lot to thank for that.

I've read a lot about Kojima in the last six+ months after MGSV. A lot of info, plus the fact that the last three games of his have been less than stellar story/script wise, lead me to think that what I liked about MGS 1-3 isn't all about Kojima. We'll see how truly great he is being let go and free to do his own thing.

Oh brother, you have got to be kidding me. Just about any VA could have done Snake back in MGS1 and we'd be having this same conversation today.

I think the whole thing could've been handled better, but a big part of Hayter seeming so salty (He still is, of course) is that he's constantly asked about it, which makes it sort of overblown.

Snake has been David Hayter in the west for all the games since MGS.

If Kojima was discontent with his work he should've fired him before.

Not when
for ther first time in the Solid series (Raiden apart) Big Boss isn't Jack/David's voice.

I think Kojima messed the English voice cast because he wanted to take the same path as in
MGS2 and failed to deliver due to the fact he made the timeline even more convulted.

He could have Richard Doyle, didn't he?

Oh brother, you have got to be kidding me. Just about any VA could have done Snake back in MGS1 and we'd be having this same conversation today.

This doesn't even make sense. Of course we'd be having the same conversation for the other actor lol

Like someone saying "Anyone can do Mario, Charles Martinet is easily replaceable, imagine if he had never done the voice" and you'd get laughed out of the thread.

Iconic voices are iconic. When they're replaced (for seemingly no reason) there's push back.

Top Bottom