• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original Taco Bell location facing possible demolition

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.eater.com/2015/1/13/7540797/worlds-first-taco-bell-under-imminent-threat-of-demolition

One of the nation's greatest historical structures is under siege. According to the Downey Patriot, the building that once housed the world's first Taco Bell restaurant is under "imminent threat of demolition." In other words, the very bastion from which later generations would birth culture-bending creations like Waffle Tacos is in danger and somehow not listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Taco Bell's founder Glen Bell built the first location of the chain in Downey, Calif. in 1962. The location eventually shuttered, and the space was most recently occupied by another independent fast-food restaurant called Seafood and Tacos Raul. Tacos Raul closed at the end of December, and the now-vacant building has been fenced off ever since.

The Downey Conservancy, a historical preservation group, plans to fight to save the building. They are even suggesting moving the building to another location within the city because the site where it currently stands "may not be the best for its future."

http://consumerist.com/2015/01/14/t...etacobell-to-preserve-original-bell-building/

Earlier today, we told you how the original Taco Bell building in Downey, CA, now faces possible demolition after its most recent tenant left the place empty in December. We asked Taco Bell corporate for comment on the story and its response is apparently to start a social media campaign — though we’re not exactly sure to what end.

“This is a very special place in our history, and for the entire Taco Bell community,” a rep for Taco Bell HQ tells Consumerist. “For passionate Taco Bell fans who want to share their support, we encourage them to use #savetacobell in social media.”

The question is whether Taco Bell actually plans to do anything if people use this hashtag enough, or whether the company is just throwing up its hands and suggesting that this is a possible way people could preserve the building
that company founder Glenn “Taco” Bell erected by himself with only the assistance of a stubborn burro named Justin in 1962. (We may have embellished on that part about the burro.)

What is used to look like supposedly:

ilbG4x7.jpg

UrokeJoe

It's kind of sad. That's the kind of place that I got my first taste of Taco Bell. Looked just like that and tasted so much better then. Oh well.

Menu

Burrito
Taco
Tostado
Bell Beefer
Enchirito
Bucket of beans(beans, enchilada sauce, and cheese)

Will the rest of the taco bells collapse into themselves when this one goes down?

Cheesy gordita crunches are pretty okay

Anustart

If I eat anything other than 100% authentic foreign foods cooked by a professional chef trained in that country with grown to order ingredients (and also must be a hole in the wall local place), I get explosive shits!

Death to the bell!

The passive aggression in this thread is strong. I love gripping me a taco from the bell. And I even love great mexican too. yo quieroooooooo

akira28

Remember when they were giving away those free stuffed Taco Bell dogs, the ones that talked when you pressed their paw?

Maddocks

I drive by that place all the time, they even have a taco bell across the street from it. Can see why they want to demo it, there is nothing really around it, everything is across the street instead.

If I eat anything other than 100% authentic foreign foods cooked by a professional chef trained in that country with grown to order ingredients (and also must be a hole in the wall local place), I get explosive shits!

Death to the bell!
Perfectly sums up almost all of food-gaf.

Ferrio

Banned
I find it strange that they're not renovating the place. Don't most other fast food places like showing off their first restaurant?

Someone from corporate should re-buy the building and turn it back into a Taco Bell if they want to save it so much. Your twitter activism is weak sauce

like this

taco_bell_sauce_packets_24.jpg

maruchan

They tried to do the oldest McDonald's in America . Also in Downey.. And the only place oh can still buy fried apple pies.. I don't think Taco Bell has the same nostalgia as as McDonald's to save it

Thanks for reminding what will become of Taco Bell in the future when the cultured hipsters take, and we are forced to live underground feasting on rat burgers.

If hipsters took over TB, expect a quinoa and kale stuffed burrito wrapped in an organic whole grain tortilla. packets of sriracha available upon request.

The Lamp

Agreed with the poster that said they should just buy it.

I was at Taco Bell tonight and bought their new Strawberry Starburst slush. GAF, if you like starburst candy, it tastes just like that. It's so awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom