• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oroville Dam situation: evacuation order lifted, spillway repair underway

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOD EDIT (2-14): https://twitter.com/AP/status/831623046800752640

@AP
BREAKING: California sheriff says nearly 200,000 residents evacuated near dam can return home but should stay prepared.

MOD EDIT (2-12): https://twitter.com/ca_dwr/status/830940227908677633

CA - DWR
‏@CA_DWR

EMERGENCY EVACUATION: Auxiliary spillway at Oroville Dam predicted to fail within the next hour. Oroville residents evacuate northward.

4:42 PM - 12 Feb 2017

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Lake-Oroville-discharging-water-over-dam-s-10926950.php

OROVILLE, Butte County — Butte County officials ordered residents in low-lying areas of Oroville to immediately evacuate on Sunday afternoon due to a ”hazardous situation" with the Oroville Dam emergency spillway.

The Butte County Sheriff's Office said a failure of the spillway may cause ”uncontrolled release" of flood waters from Lake Oroville.

The state Department of Water Resources did not elaborate on the emergency, but said just before 4:45 p.m. that the ”auxiliary spillway at the dam was predicted to fail within the hour." Officials have increased water releases out of the primary spillway to 100,000 cubic feet per second.

The amount of water gushing over Lake Oroville's emergency spillway had begun to decrease before the emergency Sunday as state officials pushed ahead with urgent measures to make room in the state's second-largest reservoir to avoid a repetition of the weekend's extraordinary event.

The emergency spillway — an open hillside that drains to the Feather River below — had never been used since the Oroville Dam was completed in 1968. The discharge that began early Saturday raised concerns over how the backup channel would hold up, and whether debris would threaten fish and levees downstream.

The primary concrete spillway just south of the overflow area, meanwhile, was thought to have stabilized after a gigantic hole emerged in its 3,000-foot-long channel last week. The gash forced operators to reduce the outflow, which set the stage for this weekend's unprecedented situation.

Another wet-weather system, in what has been a soaking winter, is on deck to hit Northern California on Wednesday, requiring water managers to make still more room in Lake Oroville for another surge.

The series of Pacific storms is expected to bring up to 4 inches of rain to parts of the Central Valley, said Idamis Del Valle, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service's Sacramento office.

”We need to do everything we can to maximize our ability to move water our of this reservoir — not just for the coming storm but for the coming storms," said Bill Croyle, acting director of department of water resources. ”Our planning is both short term and long term."

At its peak over the weekend, water was cascading over the emergency spillway at 12,600 cubic feet per second.

Teams were dredging an area composed of silt, rock and hunks of concrete debris that has formed under the primary spillway following recent erosion.

The blockage forced water in the diversion pool to back up toward the dam and has threatened the Edward Hyatt Power plant at the base of the concrete behemoth.

The power station, which was closed late Friday due to the threat, serves as a third release point for the reservoir when it is operational. The facility expels up to 14,000 cubic feet of water per second downriver.

Officials had stressed earlier Sunday that the structural integrity of the 770-foot Oroville Dam — the tallest in the country — had not been compromised by the damaged spillway.

Once the dredging is completed, crews must rewire overhead power lines that were taken out of service after support towers were threatened by erosion.

Operators first detected the hole in the primary spillway Tuesday. Subsequent releases down the slide made the hole grow dramatically, exposing bedrock even beyond the 180-foot-wide channel.

Officials stabilized the hole and stopped further erosion by slowing the outflow to 55,000 cubic feet per second. But 90,000 cubic feet of water per second continued to dump into Lake Oroville and pushed the reservoir over capacity on Saturday.

”The problem is we don't have that flexibility right now," Croyle said. ”Our bowl is full. So, what comes in comes out."

By Sunday, the rate of inflow had fallen to 41,400 cubic feet of water per second, officials said.

The estimated cost of repairing the concrete spillway has soared to as much as $200 million, and officials are debating whether it can be patched when the rains end, or if a new chute will be needed altogether.

Under clear skies, many residents from nearby communities headed to Oroville on Sunday in hopes of seeing the raging Feather River or the damaged spillway. They parked and walked along streets overlooking the murky water, but public access to the spillways next to the dam was blocked.

The reservoir is the second largest in the state behind Lake Shasta and supplies water to Central Valley along with districts in the Bay Area and Southern California.

On Sunday, the cause of the hole in the main spillway was still being investigated. But experts noted repairs had been made to the spillway in 2013 near where the hole emerged.

Robert Bea, a U.C. Berkeley engineering professor, reviewed 2015 inspection reports that made note of the earlier repairs to the concrete slabs.

”From what I can tell from the photographs, it appears that the water pressures from the recent releases were great enough to cause failure of the repairs made to the base slabs," he told The Chronicle.

Original post follows:

It was mentioned in another thread but it's worth taking a look at on its own

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Oroville-Dam-spillway-hole-erosion-water-reservoir-10920358.php
The massive crater in the main spillway of Oroville Dam continued to grow Thursday as state officials released more water from Lake Oroville to keep up with the stormwater and snowmelt filling up the reservoir. The hole is now about 45-feet-deep and 300-feet-wide by 500-feet-long, according to KCBS.

As the lake level continues to rise, officials are saying they'll likely release water from Oroville Dam's unpaved emergency spillway for the first time ever on Saturday. The emergency release has never been used, and crews are clearing trees and brush if it's needed.

The lake is now at 98 percent capacity.

Earlier this week, chunks of concrete flew off the nearly mile-long spillway, creating a 200-foot-long, 30-foot-deep hole. Engineers don't know what caused the cave-in that is expected to keep growing until it reaches bedrock.

The department does not expect the discharge from the reservoir to exceed the capacity of any channel downstream as the water flows through the Feather River, into the Sacramento River and on to the San Francisco Bay.

Officials say Oroville Dam itself is sound and there is no imminent threat to the public.

Note: the "emergency spillway" is basically just the hill next to the main spillway
4S4RUct.jpg

DvsxTL5.jpg

0YjkKkS.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkmwHdGU66s

This has been all over the news here in Sacramento. I really hope the worse case scenario does not happen to the families in that area.

Edit: it's rained so much in NorCal this season. We're at the end of a 5 day run of rain and we get a break this weekend. Unfortunately it'll start raining again in the middle of next week.

Definitely a mistype, sorry everyone!

Babyshams

This has been all over the news here in Sacramento. I really hope the worse case scenario happens to the families in that area.

Edit: it's rained so much in NorCal this season. We're at the end of a 5 day run of rain and we get a break this weekend. Unfortunately it'll start raining again in the middle of next week.

Dude what the fuck?

Damn I lived in Oroville for two years, loved that place. Best burgers around. Hopefully everyone's ok.

Yea I live in Roseville, it's been raining like crazy.

Ya its starting to get a little more worrisome up here. At least we have a break in the rain for the next few days.

Damn I lived in Oroville for two years, loved that place. Best burgers around. Hopefully everyone's ok.

Yea I live in Roseville, it's been raining like crazy.

You are the first person who I have ever heard of enjoying Oroville. Place is a meth pit.

Yep been watching this on TV.

Live in CA my whole life and I cant remember a time we had this much rain, this consistently for this long

1997 El Nino

20 years ago, I lived in Auburn and I remember all of the concern with the American River and Folsom Dam. I was only 12 and didn't understand how bad it was. As an adult now, this has been crazy. I commute to Dublin/Pleasanton for work everyday from Sacramento and see 5-10 accidents a day. The Altamont part of 580 West is wrecked right now. Gigantic pot holes forming, closing down multiple lanes. On Wednesday it took over 3 hours to go 94 miles.

studyguy

We're getting an inch of rain where I am today and 5 FUCKING STRAIGHT DAYS OF RAIN next week. Work with agriculture and people are hyped for season to come but a lot of my strawberry guys are basically getting their crop washed away or can't pick unless they managed to put their shit under plastic (which no one did because lol what's a rainy season in CA)

It's pretty fucking crazy right now.

Babyshams

Also any talk of the dam being threatened are horseshit. The emergency spillway is designed so that the dam never is threatened. The inflows are not even close to the capacity that can go over the emergency spillway that would cause the level in the lake to rise to threaten the damn.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Also any talk of the dam being threatened are horseshit. The emergency spillway is designed so that the dam never is threatened. The inflows are not even close to the capacity that can go over the emergency spillway that would cause the level in the lake to rise to threaten the damn.

I think you're misunderstanding the threat to the dam.

If the water starts eroding the dam support, which is just landfill, the dam itself can shift and nothing can stop the water after that.

Babyshams

I think you're misunderstanding the threat to the dam.

If the water starts eroding the dam support, which is just landfill, the dam itself can shift and nothing can stop the water after that.

As of right now, as far as anyone can tell the only threat to the dam would be water flowing over the top, the emergency spillway was designed to ensure this doesn't happen during a design base flood of 770,000 CFS inflow. Thats with both the regular spillway and emergency.

At those inflows worst case with both running the max the lake could rise to in 917', that is 5' below the crest at 922'. At that 917' you would have around 350,000 CFS going over the emergency spillway. As of 1100 inflow is at 132,000 CFS and dropping, well below what the emergency spillway can handle, they are also putting out around 50,000 down the damaged spillway and 13,000 through the powerplant at the base of the dam.

Level in the lake is rising because they can;t match inflow with the damaged spillway, almost 896' as of 1100. Water will most likely flow over the emergency spillway, but that water doesn't affect the integrity of the dam.

The dam and the whole water project in this area was built into a large deposit of basalt rock on that side specifically for this purpose.

Now if you wanted to argue that the erosion under the spillway could mean erosion at some part of the dam, thats is possible, but monitoring for leakage in the core block shows numbers that do not indicate any kind of increased leakage over whats normal for this amount of rainfall.

The spillway is NOT the dam, the emergency spillway is NOT the dam. It's important to make the distinction.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yep been watching this on TV.

Live in CA my whole life and I cant remember a time we had this much rain, this consistently for this long

It rained like this for parts of the 1980s, I recall lots of similar (and worse) flooding issues. Also in the big El Nino year in the 90s.

We usually have a decent rainy season in NorCal when there's no drought. Somewhat frequent storms, but not as many intense ones. A recent climate change study predicts more extreme storms to occur annually over the course of the next several decades.

Al-ibn Kermit

My coworker is the manager of a water district there and I was talking to him about this today. Obviously the dam itself is fine, the spillway is separate from that structure. For now the plan is to just evaluate the damage and start rebuilding in the spring if they can.

The big immediate danger is to the fish hatchery and apparently they're trying to get them out/filter the water a bit before it gets down there and kills everything.

I don't really see the issue? As long as the emergency spillway is capable of handling the outflow they should be able to get by until they can repair the primary spillway.

Emergency spillways are always designed as a last resort and no engineer would want to see them used but they exist for a reason. I'd be much more concerned about this if the dam itself showed signs of structural deterioration.

Babyshams

My coworker is the manager of a water district there and I was talking to him about this today. Obviously the dam itself is fine, the spillway is separate from that structure. For now the plan is to just evaluate the damage and start rebuilding in the spring if they can.

The big immediate danger is to the fish hatchery and apparently they're trying to get them out/filter the water a bit before it gets down there and kills everything.

Fish at that hatchery were already moved to a separate facility which pulls its water from drainage from the afterbay.

Giolon

It rained like this for parts of the 1980s, I recall lots of similar (and worse) flooding issues. Also in the big El Nino year in the 90s.

We usually have a decent rainy season in NorCal when there's no drought. Somewhat frequent storms, but not as many intense ones. A recent climate change study predicts more extreme storms to occur annually over the course of the next several decades.

Plus around 2007-2009 or so, we had a record 33 consecutive days of rain in the bay area. It rained every day of February and a week into March.

XiaNaphryz

I don't really see the issue? As long as the emergency spillway is capable of handling the outflow they should be able to get by until they can repair the primary spillway.

Emergency spillways are always designed as a last resort and no engineer would want to see them used but they exist for a reason. I'd be much more concerned about this if the dam itself showed signs of structural deterioration.

The thread title is a bit sensationalist. I'll fix it when I get back to my desk after lunch.

Babyshams

They have been clearing a ravine on the hillside for the last 2 days, its the most likely path for the water to travel as long as the outflow isn't too bad. They also have strategically placed log and debris booms at different parts of the diversion pool(segment of water before another diversion dam that feed the river)

Hopefully the worst part of using the emergency spillway, the debris, will be minimized.

Nekofrog

Banned
I'm in yuba city (about 45 minutes north of Sacramento)and I literally work right on the other side of the levee here. I mean literally, there's the levee wall, a very small parking lot, then me. It's pretty much to the tippy top but there are no flood warnings or evacuation notices despite its being at level 2 out of 3 levels.

I'd rather not be underwater please, thanks.

Having an emergency spill way seems as good as they get until they can repair/rebuild.

The meth heads could've used a little water though.
JUST KIDDING

Weather reports indicate more rain in my area next week. Greeeaaaaat....

Al-ibn Kermit

Fish at that hatchery were already moved to a separate facility which pulls its water from drainage from the afterbay.

What I read on the news was that the youngest were not able to be and only a fraction have been transferred so far. Therefor, they're trying to get the turbiditiy of the muddy water down before it reaches the hatchery.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
NorCal Gaf checking in. We aren't dead from catastrophic dam failure (yet)!

I was going to ask why don't they jury-rig some sort of temporary cover over the hole until I saw this:

Rqomyob.jpg
Saw this pic earlier and was like "looks like a pothole" then I saw the dudes in yellow and was like "holy shiiiiiiiiit"

Babyshams

What I read on the news was that the youngest were not able to be and only a fraction have been transferred so far. Therefor, they're trying to get the turbiditiy of the muddy water down before it reaches the hatchery.

I'm going off the news conference yesterday, said they had been moved to the fish hatchery off Highway 99, maybe they couldn't get the youngest.

Syncytia

The Japanese can have that fixed in less than a few days.

Maybe Trump could actually do something good and bring Abe over there and ask him how to take care of this. Instead of golfing.

That hole is insane. I mean it looked big from the pictures in the OP but seeing people in it, holy shit.

Babyshams

So is this just bad luck or also a symptom of USA's crumbling infrastructure?

The failure unfortunately is hard to predict. Combination of excessively dry years followed by heavy rainfall over the last 2 months probably led to the erosion underneath the spillway that led to the collapse.

There are pictures floating around showing trucks on the spillway in 2013, saying they knew about the problem, every year in the summer it gets inspected and superficial holes and cracks are repaired. This was not something easily detectable.

The town is small and everyone knows someone that works there, its a dam(pun intended) sowing circle, if they knew about this everyone would have known.

XiaNaphryz

The failure unfortunately is hard to predict. Combination of excessively dry years followed by heavy rainfall over the last 2 months probably led to the erosion underneath the spillway that led to the collapse.

There are pictures floating around showing trucks on the spillway in 2013, saying they knew about the problem, every year in the summer it gets inspected and superficial holes and cracks are repaired. This was not something easily detectable.

The town is small and everyone knows someone that works there, its a dam(pun intended) sowing circle, if they knew about this everyone would have known.

Yeah, before last year that spillway hasn't seen use for like 5 years. All this recent activity occuring over a short span likely had an effect.

Nekofrog

Banned
97 El nino for me was going down to the local town bridge in aromas each day to see the water level get higher. After a few days you could lean over and touch the water, it was so high.

Ya its starting to get a little more worrisome up here. At least we have a break in the rain for the next few days.

You are the first person who I have ever heard of enjoying Oroville. Place is a meth pit.

Lol Yea totally but I never had a single problem there. Polite neighbors, never felt unsafe, awesome local food, casinos, and I'm a minority lol. It's slow moving around there, very quiet.

Edit it's nice and sunny outside finally a break from the rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom